Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Kosumo posted:

It's a Bear market!

Edit- Taxxe

Zazz Razzamatazz fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Sep 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

eonwe posted:

is there a goon guild for this game yet

There's a Goon guild for this thread.
Does that count?

"SCAM Chums" - make it a gang tag someone!

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/1171176481734586369

The hashtags never, ever get old. What kind of actual game development company feels the need to put this poo poo after a tweet. "#gamedevelopment #videogames #gaming #gamedev" Jesus H Crobear you might as well go ahead and put #notascam in there while you're at it.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Scruffpuff posted:

The hashtags never, ever get old. What kind of actual game development company feels the need to put this poo poo after a tweet. "#gamedevelopment #videogames #gaming #gamedev" Jesus H Crobear you might as well go ahead and put #notascam in there while you're at it.

A company scouting for people to fill essential vacancies that have not been occupied by warm bodies in a long time.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

If it hadn't been for Cotton-Eye Joe
I'd been married a long time ago
Where did you come from, where did you go?
Where did you come from, Cotton-Eye Joe?

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

happyhippy posted:

If it hadn't been for Cotton-Eye Joe
I'd been married a long time ago
Where did you come from, where did you go?
Where did you come from, Cotton-Eye Joe?

:five:

Uncle Khasim
Dec 20, 2009

reading about star citizen makes me sad

i haven’t wasted any money other than the initial kickstarter pledge but i really liked strike commander ._.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

eonwe posted:

whys my av in a thread about this game i just found out about

Reported for account sharing!

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Uncle Khasim posted:

reading about star citizen makes me sad
That's the correct reaction

If you keep reading there's this weird painful brain fog where you feel like you're being gaslit though

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Pixelate posted:

Sales surge is over on the sub. Back to bugs...

e: oh wait, I tell a lie. Here's luxury space wheel vorpex guy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExEdnRHg4Wo

It's absolutely wild how lovely their city planet looks. All that work to make it happen and it looks like something out of Grand Theft Auto 3. Shame.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Beet Wagon posted:

It's absolutely wild how lovely their city planet looks. All that work to make it happen and it looks like something out of Grand Theft Auto 3. Shame.

Exactly how much of this world spanning city can you actually interact with?

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
In the not too distant future, Chris Roberts has created the ultimate escape.

A parallel universe called...

starCitizenZ

It taps into your deepest emotions.

It unleashes your wildest urges.

But it's the first genuine threat to reality.

And someone wants it stopped at all costs.

Don't Play It.
Live It.
Kill For It.

starCitizenZ

Alas, photoshop isn't one of my skills.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

monkeytek posted:

I'll have you know that you can land in a very exciting spaceport, and take a bus ride to a CryEngine shopping mall level that is almost a full square kilometer in size! There are three or four whole stores to shop at! You can also land in like 12 other places on the planet but it's just rooftop landing pads there, you can't get down off the buildings.

In any case it's extremely good and I'm happy to wait ten more years to see the other hundred planets.

Sarsapariller fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Sep 10, 2019

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

monkeytek posted:

There are a handful of landing zones you can go to (the only noteworthy one being Area 18) and literally everywhere else on the planet is blocked off by a big red exclusion zone that shows up if you get too close and kills you if you go past it. That's it lol.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Sarsapariller posted:

I'll have you know that you can land in a very exciting spaceport, and take a bus ride to a CryEngine shopping mall level that is almost a full square kilometer in size! There are three or four whole stores to shop at! You can also land in like 12 other places on the planet but it's just rooftop landing pads there, you can't get down off the buildings.

In any case it's extremely good and I'm happy to wait ten more years to see the other hundred planets.

I don't get why they use this example to brag about how amazing the game is. I mean it sounds like an extremely small zone with very limited interaction.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

monkeytek posted:

I don't get why they use this example to brag about how amazing the game is. I mean it sounds like an extremely small zone with very limited interaction.

Cause there isn't anything better to brag about.

SCs whole gimmick is pretending like there is a lot more going on than there actually is.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Scruffpuff posted:

Considering he's only selling 10% of the valuation of the company, which somehow was over $400 million despite realistically being into negative numbers, the magic of Star Citizen is that Chris can sell "10%" as many times as he wants.

Well, as we all know, every dollar spent on SC is worth 5 dollars spent on a game by a publisher. So that means her could sell up to 500% of the company!

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Agony Aunt posted:

Well, as we all know, every dollar spent on SC is worth 5 dollars spent on a game by a publisher. So that means her could sell up to 500% of the company!

False.

CR actually said that there's a factor of 4 (four) between his crowdfunded company's efficiency and other publishers. However, as a backer once pointed out, CI operates three studios in different time zones, so they're thrice as effective as an equivalent studio in one location. Hence, CI is actually operating at 1200% efficiency :smuggo:

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

How dare you falsify my FUD!

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Scruffpuff posted:

It's some social media 101 poo poo that's what it is.

stingtwo
Nov 16, 2012

Agony Aunt posted:

They aren't though. They could weasel their way out of even the kickstarter stuff with a "well, we tried, but we just couldn't make it happen", but don't worry, because here is another concept ship!

Would the backers even remember half the poo poo that was promised/sold to them without looking it up, the buying land thing was at least announced 2 years ago, not a peep from CIG about it since.

Hell I don't remember the name of the ship that changed from a 2 seater to 1 cause that was 4 years ago and that was the thing that made me refund.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

stingtwo posted:

Would the backers even remember half the poo poo that was promised/sold to them without looking it up, the buying land thing was at least announced 2 years ago, not a peep from CIG about it since.

Hell I don't remember the name of the ship that changed from a 2 seater to 1 cause that was 4 years ago and that was the thing that made me refund.

Its all about the pipelines. Once those pipelines are laid they will be pumping out content. Just you wait and see! I mean, how can you have base building without plumbing?

But yeah, the memory of backers is like goldfish. Once they have done one circuit of the bowl (or one patch) they forget everything that was said prior to it. That is why its only the last patch that lost content, the next one will be fine and full of content.

I have no explanation though why some of them talk in present tense about possible future things. They probably are just playing the game in their heads.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man
:gary: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McDhkXZv6ck :yarg:

Twerk recaps the latest Star Citizen news and tries to make sense of what the company is currently saying.

1. They're inventing something called an iCache system which sounds super exciting.
2. Something something mining assets.
3. A mission giver audit is on the cards, so missions should be awesome from now on.
4. NEW SHOPPING ITEMS!!!!
5. VoIP is getting some love.
6. Character customisation is progressing.
7. NEW HAIR PIPELINE!!!! (apparently this is super important for immersion).
8. Vulkan support is coming (it's not coming).
9. Shipjacker armour is on the way (designed for gameplay that doesn't exist).
10. Salvage is moved to 4.0.
11. Security system moves to 4.0.
12. "Social AI" is the new focus - no, I've no idea either.
13. Prison gameplay is in - can the inevitable consequences of piracy be far behind?
14. In-game guilds have been delegated to Tony Z - I guess that means we'll never see it?
15. Video content - he loves this week's video content.
16. "Personal commodity inventory" - more bullshit made up terms for your inventory, basically, except it only stores commodities. Duh!
17. *dreams.txt*
18. E-war gameplay on the Vanguard Sentinel is shown - e-war will never be a thing.
19. Torpedo gameplay, you'll be able to see the torpedos exiting your ship - this doesn't exist.
20. Hover mode refactored again to "proximity assist" because it sucked, basically - do they not test this poo poo before punting it out to the backers???
21. Star Citizen Live! Todd Papy and Brian Chambers wing it, basically. "Cadence" is a new buzzword apparently.
22. Persistence in the PU - err, yeah... not yet.
23. Re. roadmap grumbling - yeah, well roadmaps are hard, we can't produce them and be accurate at the same time, I mean honestly.
24. 4.0 is a vertical slice. Praise be to Crobblers!
25. Ship station docking? Erm no, probably not.

Star Citizen looking pretty good now fudsters :smuggo:

Jonny Shiloh fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Sep 10, 2019

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

eonwe posted:

whats this game about

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

eonwe posted:

whats this game about

It's a work of art.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Popete posted:

SCs whole gimmick is pretending like there is a lot more going on than there actually is.

Succinct and accurate.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

monkeytek posted:

backers often go "see!! they said it couldn't be done, but we have a city planet!!" when in reality we argued that making an entire city planet that could be fully explored, with NPCs correctly navigating streets, landing zones and air space is pretty much impossible and that most likely it'll be stripped down into a few hotspot waypoints with the rest locked off

which it turned out to be, much like how their proc gen planets are anything but

I remember the backers from 2017 and 2018 imagining meeting a NPC in a dark hidden alleyway and all the endless gameplay possibilities you'd have from that single interaction

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

eonwe posted:

whats this game about
They are remaking Apollo studio to make the best drat space game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IujP9GDcp-Y#t=361s
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Games_by_Apollo

Chris roberts is basically pat roper's incarnation. So you better be hyped for the outcome.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

When I tried to watch it it froze as a screenshot.

Which is very accurate.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

TheAgent posted:

backers often go "see!! they said it couldn't be done, but we have a city planet!!" when in reality we argued that making an entire city planet that could be fully explored, with NPCs correctly navigating streets, landing zones and air space is pretty much impossible and that most likely it'll be stripped down into a few hotspot waypoints with the rest locked off

which it turned out to be, much like how their proc gen planets are anything but

I remember the backers from 2017 and 2018 imagining meeting a NPC in a dark hidden alleyway and all the endless gameplay possibilities you'd have from that single interaction

Being stabbed?

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Jonny Shiloh posted:

Vertical slice... my rear end.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Hav posted:

Being stabbed?

More to do with lust being on their mind.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Jonny Shiloh posted:

:gary: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McDhkXZv6ck :yarg:

Twerk recaps the latest Star Citizen news and tries to make sense of what the company is currently saying.

1. They're inventing something called an iCache system which sounds super exciting.
2. Something something mining assets.
3. A mission giver audit is on the cards, so missions should be awesome from now on.
4. NEW SHOPPING ITEMS!!!!
5. VoIP is getting some love.
6. Character customisation is progressing.
7. NEW HAIR PIPELINE!!!! (apparently this is super important for immersion).
8. Vulkan support is coming (it's not coming).
9. Shipjacker armour is on the way (designed for gameplay that doesn't exist).
10. Salvage is moved to 4.0.
11. Security system moves to 4.0.
12. "Social AI" is the new focus - no, I've no idea either.
13. Prison gameplay is in - can the inevitable consequences of piracy be far behind?
14. In-game guilds have been delegated to Tony Z - I guess that means we'll never see it?
15. Video content - he loves this week's video content.
16. "Personal commodity inventory" - more bullshit made up terms for your inventory, basically, except it only stores commodities. Duh!
17. *dreams.txt*
18. E-war gameplay on the Vanguard Sentinel is shown - e-war will never be a thing.
19. Torpedo gameplay, you'll be able to see the torpedos exiting your ship - this doesn't exist.
20. Hover mode refactored again to "proximity assist" because it sucked, basically - do they not test this poo poo before punting it out to the backers???
21. Star Citizen Live! Todd Papy and Brian Chambers wing it, basically. "Cadence" is a new buzzword apparently.
22. Persistence in the PU - err, yeah... not yet.
23. Re. roadmap grumbling - yeah, well roadmaps are hard, we can't produce them and be accurate at the same time, I mean honestly.
25. Ship station docking? Erm no, probably not.

Star Citizen looking pretty good now fudsters :smuggo:

‘Cadence’ is very scrumlike. I guess they’ll start renaming that as well soon.

So no ship/station docking, no ship/ship docking, no mention of land claims.

I guess if you want to pirate a ship, you’ll need to get onto Rexshillas schedule and pewpew with some other boys.

iCache?

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Agony Aunt posted:

More to do with lust being on their mind.

Yeah, but negotiating that in an alley is how you get stabbed.

Does the future eschew the use of phones?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Hav posted:

Yeah, but negotiating that in an alley is how you get stabbed.

Does the future eschew the use of phones?

No, you see, you can't trust the sub-ether network in the Space Future™ because of the risk of interception (as anyone who has watched a sci-fi program will tell you, decrypting encrypted communications is easy once you hack the first 3 firewalls). That's why CIG talked about "Data-Runner Ships" which you can use to transport important data the old-fashioned way. It is much more difficult to track a small ship through the vastness of space, unless of course you use a mine-layer ship with mines that have an incredible range of 10km which are sure to lay waste to your target, because in Star Citizen small ships are both difficult to track and great for running secret data but it's also a universe where it's very easy to predict the trajectory of an enemy target with sub-10km precision in advance.

I suppose you could use the mine-layer to protect important stationary data in a container in space which is a fantastic way to store sensitive data, as evidenced by the fact that Fort Knox keeps its valuables out in the open in the middle of nowhere with no guards and a handful of landmines around it. Those don't even have a 10km radius so that's another point for Star Citizen!

In conclusion, Star Citizen is a game of contrasts.

*Also in all the above examples the sensitive data winds up getting destroyed in the explosion, which is counter to every single reason you'd store the data in the first place. Unless of course in the first example the runner is transporting plans that will reveal a weakness in the secret base or possibly the location of a secret wormhole to Planet Base Alpha which is a completely original idea.

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Sep 10, 2019

stingtwo
Nov 16, 2012

Agony Aunt posted:

Its all about the pipelines. Once those pipelines are laid they will be pumping out content. Just you wait and see! I mean, how can you have base building without plumbing?

But yeah, the memory of backers is like goldfish. Once they have done one circuit of the bowl (or one patch) they forget everything that was said prior to it. That is why its only the last patch that lost content, the next one will be fine and full of content.

I have no explanation though why some of them talk in present tense about possible future things. They probably are just playing the game in their heads.

I put that to how every other games community operates, game developer announces what's coming out in the next year either through dlc or a free patch; the fans all get together to speculate the wording and poo poo; thing is released about a month later and then fans dwiddle their thumbs for the next one.

The difference is those developers prove themselves they can do what they promise, CIG has proven that they are too incompetent to achieve anything above a bunch of rookie modders could do in 6 months other than flashy models.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Scruffpuff posted:

No, you see, you can't trust the sub-ether network in the Space Future™ because of the risk of interception (as anyone who has watched a sci-fi program will tell you, decrypting encrypted communications is easy once you hack the first 3 firewalls). That's why CIG talked about "Data-Runner Ships" which you can use to transport important data the old-fashioned way. It is much more difficult to track a small ship through the vastness of space, unless of course you use a mine-layer ship with mines that have an incredible range of 10km which are sure to lay waste to your target, because in Star Citizen small ships are both difficult to track and great for running secret data but it's also a universe where it's very easy to predict the trajectory of an enemy target with sub-10km precision in advance.

I suppose you could use the mine-layer to protect important stationary data in a container in space which is a fantastic way to store sensitive data, as evidenced by the fact that Fort Knox keeps its valuables out in the open in the middle of nowhere with no guards and a handful of landmines around it. Those don't even have a 10km radius so that's another point for Star Citizen!

In conclusion, Star Citizen is a game of contrasts.

Small ships are also incredibly slow compared to whale mega-ships, so there's that too.

They've clearly thought deeply about this haven't they?

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

Hav posted:

iCache?
iCash, obviously.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Jonny Shiloh posted:

Small ships are also incredibly slow compared to whale mega-ships, so there's that too.

They've clearly thought deeply about this haven't they?

That's the thing we've brought up time and again here, and it blows me away every time. There is some method to the madness, and in some ways Chris got caught up in his own predatory marketing. He knows damned well that the inherent balance in smaller ships vs. larger ships is maneuverability and speed vs. firepower and support. That kind of balance has existed since the dawn of war, and it's a trope in nearly every sci-fi property. But the bigger ships cost thousands of dollars, so CIG has no choice but to claim they'll be better/faster than everything, and the cost of the ship is directly proportional to how good it is. So instead of space combat being a tactical rock/paper/scissors scenario, but more complex, it is basically every ship being a piece of poo poo if it's not the absolute best ship, which will coincidentally be the most expensive. Their funding model literally killed the game at the same time it funded it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Jonny Shiloh posted:

This would be hilarious if CIG try to claim it as a vertical slice :v:

Where's the gameplay Crobear? :trustme: