Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Playing politics with the troll in EDH seems fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

JerryLee posted:

They can tap it down for longer than 3 turns, but of course at some point they have to start providing their own sacrifices (and you keep getting resources). Also, you can pressure their creature base to make it more difficult for them to sac.

On the other hand, not only does it die to removal, but if it dies to removal immediately, they get three free tokens.

Compare it to Risk Factor, which already doesn't seem to get played much anymore (granted, this is partly due to red currently benefiting from an embarrassment of riches when it comes to drawing/seeing extra cards). It's a sweeter deal for your opponent, all else held equal; each extra card they give you prevents 8 damage, as opposed to 1.33 damage for Risk Factor. It also comes out at a clunkier spot on the curve, and is more vulnerable to countermagic (and is vulnerable to creature removal at all). For these alone, I don't think it's great, but watch me be proved wrong again.

edit: then again I forgot the desecration demon comp, which is a pretty good point.

iirc desecration demon didn't see any play in INN/RTR standard and only started seeing play when Thoughtseize and Gary and Nykthos made a mono-B deck with lots of B symbols attractive. it was just a fat finisher for the deck; they probably would have been just as happy to play the GRN mythic surveil demon if it had existed then.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Desecration Demon seeing play is kind of weird historically but this guy does have haste

The problem with him is that once they kill him they can block your other creatures easily since the natural home of this card feels like either as black aggro top end or another random guy in black midrange

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Just have a Plague Engineer out naming goats. :v:

What? Standard? Who gives a gently caress about standard?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I mean this card is unplayable in other formats so

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Just wait to play it until you can wrath them on the same turn. Ez.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Retromancer posted:

Playing politics with the troll in EDH seems fun.

Does the choice go around the table in order? So you target your player to the right for the goats, then as the last player could lie and say he'll sac a dude, then just decline and let you whack an opponent?

Also the goats ability targets, so if your one opponent has hexproof they don't get the goats.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

Elyv posted:

I mean this card is unplayable in other formats so

Pretty much this. Modern doesn't want this, and Legacy (and Vintage sorta) still has Hogaak. This can only work in Standard Mono Black Control/Midrange, which is looking surprisingly good so far.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Hansel and Gretel

Pair of Nosies 1G

Creature Human Peasant

1/3

Treats to Share G

Sorcery Adventure

Create a food token

and the little thumbling? not sure how this tale is called in english

Trail of Breadcrumbs 1G

Enchantment

When trail of breadcrumbs enters the battlefield, create a food token

Whenever you sacrifice a food token, you may pay 1. When you do, look at the top two cards of your library. You can reveal a permanent card among these and put it in your hand. Put the rest on the bottom of your library, in the order of your choice.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Kurtofan posted:

have some goats

It's mandate you have to quote this when you play it.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
H&G seems like not the worst 23rd limited card ever.

Enchantment seems good if you can afford to play a durdly food deck, which in practice means probably not good though I'll be happy to be proven wrong.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

InterrupterJones posted:

Pretty much this. Modern doesn't want this, and Legacy (and Vintage sorta) still has Hogaak. This can only work in Standard Mono Black Control/Midrange, which is looking surprisingly good so far.

I don't think this card is a control finisher; control finishers care more about being resilient since your opponent can have a bunch of removal in their hand with no real target. There's also no reason it should be in monoblack, it only has two black symbols

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Kurtofan posted:

have some goats

It's goatnapping time! Goatnap your own goat tokens lol

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

I think this is the first time we have seen the showcase version of this one

Tainen fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Sep 10, 2019

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
that preserver card is kind of neat. It will go in irritating decks but it is cool and has self-own potential.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

What a beautiful, diaphanous ... wait how many toes are on that lady's foot?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Do the elves in this set ride giant foxes

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Getting Omar Rayyan was a good choice, nobody does "squiggly tree thing" like them. Now where the gently caress is Guay. I will accept saving her for last if she did all the basics in this set.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Huxley posted:

What a beautiful, diaphanous ... wait how many toes are on that lady's foot?

Five

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.

GoutPatrol posted:

Getting Omar Rayyan was a good choice, nobody does "squiggly tree thing" like them. Now where the gently caress is Guay. I will accept saving her for last if she did all the basics in this set.

The lands are already in Arena, and no.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Oceanbound posted:

The lands are already in Arena, and no.

I'm gonna grind WotC into the loving dust

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I really don't get all the hoping and praying over Guay when we know full well she's never gonna do magic art again.

Unless WotC pays out the rear end and Guay is feeling like it. And I sincerely doubt that's in Hasbro's forecast.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Aw it's sad. :(

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Count Bleck posted:

I really don't get all the hoping and praying over Guay when we know full well she's never gonna do magic art again.

Unless WotC pays out the rear end and Guay is feeling like it. And I sincerely doubt that's in Hasbro's forecast.

Compromise: reprint cards that have used Guay art in the past so I can use them in standard.

Scryb Ranger & Spellstutter Sprite fit on theme and can be in Simic Flash.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

That sprite has awesome art and seems like a solid but expensive control spell.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

NEAT

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Arcturas posted:

That sprite has awesome art and seems like a solid but expensive control spell.

A counter than can't be duress'd away, technically.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I'm gonna get blown out by that Troll Noble in a reanimator deck that dumps to GY and uses food to bring him back aren't I

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

That merfolk has my spidey senses tingling. I bet it goes places.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Feels like the casting costs are backwards here.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I think it's just not very pushed. Very much a card where you can see the levers and each one is in the "this is not meant to be actually good" position.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

This is really really good in stompy. Having something to do with left over mana after drawing a 1 or 2 mana creature is a big help

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

GoutPatrol posted:

Now where the gently caress is Guay. I will accept saving her for last if she did all the basics in this set.

She has better thinga to do with her time and is enjoying a career as a gallery artist.

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

So how do these adventure cards actually work then? If you can cascade into either mode does that mean you could flash it back from the graveyard with snapcaster or a similar effect? When/where are they creatures and when are they treated as instant or sorceries?

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Wurzag posted:

So how do these adventure cards actually work then? If you can cascade into either mode does that mean you could flash it back from the graveyard with snapcaster or a similar effect? When/where are they creatures and when are they treated as instant or sorceries?

They are creatures everywhere except on the stack if you choose to cast the adventure part.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Huxley posted:

I think it's just not very pushed. Very much a card where you can see the levers and each one is in the "this is not meant to be actually good" position.
Yeah but having an acceptable creature that can be a narrow counter spell (and later a creature) might be better than the sum of its parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Wurzag posted:

They are creatures when not on the stack. On the stack, you decide whether you're casting the spell or the creature, it's how I understand it.

So no to Snapcaster but I think if you could cast a creature spell from your graveyard, you could cast the adventure?