Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Definitely combine it with android tiers and maybe rimatomics etc, the story is you're an android fired off onto the rimworld to build a trump hotel and your job is to expand your robot caretaker force to host as many humans as possible and also make the place as idiotically gaudy as you can. Gold and silver everything, automated murder zone around the hotel.

Just needs some kind of thing that lets people actually visit from offworld via landing pads or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Vanilla expanded mods are very very good-- all of them. Also the magic mod is a great addition.

But somehow the hygiene mod is by far the biggest runaway hit for me, I HIGHLY recommend it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Solid. Gold. Shitter.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Please, uranium shitter or bust.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Uranium shitter that uses the rimatomics interface with the turd as the control rod.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I dont know what I ate but I feel a reactor SCRAM coming on

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

My current goal are a trio of jade hot tubs next to a designated music playing spot (or maybe a gold marimba or something?) thanks to Razzle Dazzle with marble statues.

Hospitality did add the ability to charge guests per bed if you desired.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
How do I deel with colonist suddenly deciding not to build roofs over my closed areas? I've tried removing roof + include roof commandos, building walls nearby and stuff, but nothing seems to happen.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
You didn't designate it a no roofs area earlier and forget about it did you?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Nope. Only do that with stone walls on the far edge of the map so I can take them down safely

E: apparently installing more doors fixed the problem

Tias fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Sep 7, 2019

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Tias posted:

How do I deel with colonist suddenly deciding not to build roofs over my closed areas? I've tried removing roof + include roof commandos, building walls nearby and stuff, but nothing seems to happen.

You can right click prioritize construct roof, so you should be able to use that to figure out if something is blocking your constructors. I can't think of any particular reason if your zoning is set up correctly and they're able to build nearby though.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Solid. Gold. Shitter.

Is that whats in BeatmastrJ's toilet closet?

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
If you play with Hygeine (which I can't imagine not doing at this point, it's one of the few totally essential mods for me even on relatively mod-light playthroughs), and are also running Hospitality, make absolutely sure there are toilets and showers in your guest areas. I learned the hard way that guests will not leave the area for any reason, including to fulfill needs, so I had a bunch of guests hanging out in the saloon angrily making GBS threads all over themselves while the communal bathhouse lay just out of reach.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Only if you have them restricted to a zone, versus something a bit more sane like Home Zone. Expand your guest zone to include the shitters

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Mister Bates posted:

If you play with Hygeine (which I can't imagine not doing at this point, it's one of the few totally essential mods for me even on relatively mod-light playthroughs)

I didn't know building bathrooms and bathhouses could be so fun, I'm with you.

isndl
May 2, 2012

winterwerefox posted:

Only if you have them restricted to a zone, versus something a bit more sane like Home Zone. Expand your guest zone to include the shitters

Technically they're free to walk into your storerooms and eat all your meals or use all your drugs if they get free reign like that. Better to lock them up in the legendary dining/rec room where they won't go mad from ugly surroundings.

Tias
May 25, 2008

isndl posted:

You can right click prioritize construct roof, so you should be able to use that to figure out if something is blocking your constructors. I can't think of any particular reason if your zoning is set up correctly and they're able to build nearby though.

Yeah, I double checked, it's usually just a zoning brain fart on my part - nothing wrong here, though. I think the problem is basing part of my room on a natural cave wall nearby and not installing enough doors in and out of the room. I made a little barn in front, put in doors, and then they roofed it immediately :iiam:

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
What's so good about the hygiene mod?

I've never used it but it looks like extra work for no gain. Like just a way of decreasing productivity and increasing mental breaks.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean that's what most of the systems in the game do..?

It adds a new mechanic to the game that integrates with the rest of the mechanics very well. Your pawns need to poo poo and drink and wash, and providing for those effectively makes them happier, as well as secondary effects like bathing being relaxing.

I don't really think mods should just buff your dudes, that's how you get power creep.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Incoming Chinchilla posted:

What's so good about the hygiene mod?

I've never used it but it looks like extra work for no gain. Like just a way of decreasing productivity and increasing mental breaks.

The basic game cycle is very simple once you've played for a while, this adds an extra variable to that.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I love adding layers of infrastructure to deal with because it scratches a deep itch in my broken-rear end brain :v: I want all my walls filled with assorted pipes and wires all giving negligible buffs to my dudes

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

I mean that's what most of the systems in the game do..?

It adds a new mechanic to the game that integrates with the rest of the mechanics very well. Your pawns need to poo poo and drink and wash, and providing for those effectively makes them happier, as well as secondary effects like bathing being relaxing.

It also allows you to make an efficient cooling and heating system using hot water and air-con units as well as sprinklers and fermented poo poo to increase plant fertility.

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
I guess I may give it a go to add some difficulty to the base building side.

I'm playing on merciless at the moment and the day to day management is fine (everyone's in an ok mood, there's enough food etc), but then come the raids which are just ridiculous. Within the first year with about 7 colonists I got a 28 person raid. All melee, all shield belts and a few with power armour. Just got rolled with no chance.

Any tips on that actually? I think raids balance out once you've got 2 or 3 good melee pawns and about 10 shooters because the raiders can only funnel through a doorway at a certain rate. But early on the raider to colonist ratios are a bit crazy and the whole raid will come in as one. Turrets aren't great and you tend to get a base destroying raid before you can get to microelectronics and assault rifles/miniguns.

Funnily enough I prefer mech raids because the ai is a bit more predictable. Humanoid raids can be a bit erratic and the numbers are mad.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
For Merciless you want to beeline security, and have a comprehensive knowledge of how to counter all possible raid types. Out of your starting three pawns I'd say at least 2 constructors to get defenses up immediately, and 2 researchers to get the research you need. To beat that shielded melee raid you were talking about you need land mines.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
and flamehouses wouldn't hurt either, though in all likelihood this is going to be set off by flame land mines.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

A dude with an axe chopped my ranger's head off, and my devilstrand harvest got a blight so I couldn't make a resurrection scroll before the body rotted so I raised the ranger with my Necromancer.

Then, when the devilstrand harvest came in I made a resurrection scroll so I taught it to my priest.

I then dismissed the raised ranger, and had my priest resurrect the corpse.

Wanting to be funny, I had the resurrection happen in my church.

A ray of light from God blasted the gently caress out of the place and destroyed the church.

Now I've turned away from the light and turned the church into a hot tub zone complete with a big stockpile of smokeleaf joints and beer.

isndl
May 2, 2012
Why didn't you put him in the freezer while waiting on the resurrection?

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

jokes posted:

A dude with an axe chopped my ranger's head off, and my devilstrand harvest got a blight so I couldn't make a resurrection scroll before the body rotted so I raised the ranger with my Necromancer.

Then, when the devilstrand harvest came in I made a resurrection scroll so I taught it to my priest.

I then dismissed the raised ranger, and had my priest resurrect the corpse.

Wanting to be funny, I had the resurrection happen in my church.

A ray of light from God blasted the gently caress out of the place and destroyed the church.

Now I've turned away from the light and turned the church into a hot tub zone complete with a big stockpile of smokeleaf joints and beer.

What kind of church did you have? The only mod I know that has churches is the Cthulhu stuff, is there a less Lovecraftian church mod?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

(The corpse explosion thing is a rimworld of magic thing with zombies. They can't be resurrected or cybernetically enhanced without them exploding in unholy power, probably as a balance thing because becoming a zombie changes the pawn's traits and skills.)

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Randy decided to give me toxic fallout, then a poison ship the next day, then a raid by the Blue Moon Corporation the day after that which put almost my entire colony out of action in the hospital.

They did drop a ton of high-tech weaponry, though, way better than anything I'm using. Should give me what I need to handle the poison ship once everyone is healed up, although I don't think I'll even bother until the fallout has run its course.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Picked up this game recently and I am enjoying it immensely. A discussion I saw on one of the Vanilla Furniture mods made me wonder about something however. In a Steam Thread, the creator of the mod (this being Vanilla Furniture Expended-Security) basically argued that Killboxes were essentially an exploit/cheat which basically removed content from the game (This being in the context of a discussion that some items not being balanced for said killboxes). I can understand that forcing raiders to take a winding path toward a prepared killzone can mitigate said raiders threat. With wall/sandbag combos, auto turrets, and just no cover for said raiders, it can dramatically even the odds and I perhaps could see how that would be seen as trivializing the experience. However it feels like the game drifts toward it as a general meta option?

Can you really make a viable defence without forcing raiders to be funneled into a specific field of fire by turrets or well protected colonists? You could perhaps lower the amount of turrets or sandbags in the way, but that feels like a compromise on the concept as opposed to going without it. Open defences can work but they feel dramatically more costly are at high risk of raiders flanking or poking through gaps to end up at deadly ranges.

Also as a side note, how is the Vanilla Expanded Furniture? I was tempted to pick it up along with Rimatomics.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Defense in depth, especially with a properly designed urban layout, is extremely possible for most of the game but is much, much harder and more dangerous. You need to have a good idea of how the AI is going to behave, build around doing so, and be willing to micro your dudes a lot to pull it off consistently.

I'm not convinced it's really possible with late game ragnarok-sized raids, either, especially on higher difficulties. There's only so much prep work you can do to fight off 300 dudes without bombing them into their component atoms with mortar batteries or funneling them into a killbox, since there's a pretty hard limit on how much firepower a given defender can put down range no matter how skilled and geared up a pawn is. You can do stuff like "funnel the entire raid into a choke filled with melee guys and maybe a couple shooters firing over their shoulders" but that's basically just killboxing without the turrets.

I get the complaint about killboxes feeling "cheesy" but the numerical disparity between your defenders and your average raid eventually becomes so overwhelming that you're kind of forced that way at some point no matter what.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Sep 10, 2019

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Finally got around to digging, and there was a steel deposit right in my main entrance. It's a killbox now.

Second time the bugs spawned it was from the border of the map but I've learned better.

stringless fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Sep 10, 2019

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Kanos posted:

I get the complaint about killboxes feeling "cheesy" but the numerical disparity between your defenders and your average raid eventually becomes so overwhelming that you're kind of forced that way at some point no matter what.

Yeah I've heard complaints about killboxes but I've never understood what the alternative is supposed to be. Am I allowed to take cover? To build turrets at all? What am I supposed to do, just stand in an open field and hope my guys shoot their guys faster than theirs shoot mine? On higher difficulty the enemies regularly outnumber colonists five to one, how do you handle that without building defenses? I get that there's certain exploits (like stacking meleeing animals to punch enemies on open doors through diagonal wall cracks) which aren't intended, but turrets and land mines and sandbags and walls and all that are just vanilla game elements, why leave them out?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
I think people are not using the right terms. Theres a huge difference between a properly constructed kill box and layered defenses. No one who is against killboxing is saying that you cant build cover or use turrets, thats ridiculous.

I don't like kill boxes because if you are doing them correctly they make almost all non drop pod raids a non issue and in my opinion remove the fun and challenge of what I feel like is a key part of the game. A kill box takes advantage of the AI, how tile stacking worksx and how cover pathing works to ensure that your pawns are only ever facing maybe twice their number at one time, while all other enemy pawns are basically stuck until another pawn dies and they can shuffle forward.

A layered defense network or just a firing line or two with cover supported by turrets, a mortar or two, and some pawns with rapid fire weapons or explosive/flaming ones can handle 100-200 pawn raids fairly okay with still some challenge. 300 pawn raids are the raids you use the quest reward items for, thats why they exist to some extant.

Play the game how you want to play it though.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Sep 10, 2019

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
In that case I guess I don't understand what is meant by killbox.

Here's random a screenshot from a recent colony of mine. Enemies come from the right. Is this a killbox? It's a box-shaped coverless area for me to shoot enemies in with a few cheap traps made of leftover stone. It's about as low-tech a defense as you can have and still be called a defense. If this isn't a killbox, how much more lethal am I allowed to make this before it's considered an exploit? Can I add turrets? What if the turrets are in mini-bunkers to prevent chain-reaction explosions? What if I add doors to retreat behind once the enemies get close? Land mines? Bait cover? Bait cover with land mines behind them? When people talk about killboxes is it just a completely arbitrary thing about how much effort you're allowed to put into your defenses, or is there some specific exploit they're talking about that I'm not aware of?

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
For reference, the discussion I mentioned was borne from a thread within this mod: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1845154007

Some of those extra tools may kill some reliance in a killbox, and apparently the items within were balanced under the presumption that one wouldn't be used. I get the feeling that this may be wholly unnecessary given I am also going to run a game with Rimatomics, but it could be lovely nevertheless. IIRC someone in this thread was praising the Vanilla Expanded stuff, but that may not have been for the furniture/item packs.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Mzbundifund posted:

In that case I guess I don't understand what is meant by killbox.

Here's random a screenshot from a recent colony of mine. Enemies come from the right. Is this a killbox? It's a box-shaped coverless area for me to shoot enemies in with a few cheap traps made of leftover stone. It's about as low-tech a defense as you can have and still be called a defense. If this isn't a killbox, how much more lethal am I allowed to make this before it's considered an exploit? Can I add turrets? What if the turrets are in mini-bunkers to prevent chain-reaction explosions? What if I add doors to retreat behind once the enemies get close? Land mines? Bait cover? Bait cover with land mines behind them? When people talk about killboxes is it just a completely arbitrary thing about how much effort you're allowed to put into your defenses, or is there some specific exploit they're talking about that I'm not aware of?

I wouldnt say that is a kill box, at least not how I have always seen the term used in LPs and in other forum disxussions. The specific killbox design I have always seen is something like this.

In my opinion Turrets are fine, mini bunkers are fine. Doors are fine. Landmines are fine, bait cover is meh but I have used it on occasion.

Basically there is a line where you are taking advantage of a lot of AI functions where raids are no longer even a challenge since the enemy pawns are going to very slowly shuffle off to be shot one by one with little to no way to fight back.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Sep 10, 2019

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

This all depends also on what mods you have installed. I know of at last two faction mods with enemy pawns and weapons that seem purpose made to gently caress up kill box design.

Again, play the game however you want to play it, but don't be suprised if you get really good and exploity with killboxing if enemy attacks no longer are a challenge or exciting for you.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Sep 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Kanos posted:

Defense in depth, especially with a properly designed urban layout, is extremely possible for most of the game but is much, much harder and more dangerous. You need to have a good idea of how the AI is going to behave, build around doing so, and be willing to micro your dudes a lot to pull it off consistently.

I'm not convinced it's really possible with late game ragnarok-sized raids, either, especially on higher difficulties. There's only so much prep work you can do to fight off 300 dudes without bombing them into their component atoms with mortar batteries or funneling them into a killbox, since there's a pretty hard limit on how much firepower a given defender can put down range no matter how skilled and geared up a pawn is. You can do stuff like "funnel the entire raid into a choke filled with melee guys and maybe a couple shooters firing over their shoulders" but that's basically just killboxing without the turrets.

DiD is the attitude i follow in for the majority of my games and it remains viable late on, it's really just a question of setting numerous booby traps on the way to your actual base. i use firetraps a lot but even something as simple as deadfalls work fine. i prefer DiD to massive, purpose-built killboxes because it actually gives you ways to branch out and make a 'good enough for now' defense. the double-wall corridor slit that i've advocated for a long time now doesn't scale at all, but it does still work as an early game defense. and because it is so simple yet effective, i can constantly do things like tack on extra trap rooms after the first layer to do something like drop a bunch of rocks on your head or blow up an incendiary IED in a tinderbox if you don't go through a direct-access door (enemies will never go through the direct-access door).

DiD works a lot better if your depth is enclosed and you end it with a fire trap. a raging inferno with superheated air tends to send enemies scurrying for the quickest exit, which is definitely going to be back out the way they came. even if they survive all of that, they will be exiting with burns and pain, making them a lot more likely to succumb when they hit another facing of your defenses....and have to do it all over again.

all of that said you'd better believe i do full, unfair custom killboxes for the ship activation countdown. gently caress that noise. and even before that, i will sometimes just abandon my initial base and move one hex over to set up full killboxes in mid-late game after i have most of the building techs i need and competent pawns. the big problem with DiD is that you are acknowledging, straight out, that you are going to lose material with pretty much every attack, so the question then quickly becomes what you are willing to lose. again, early on this is fine since you don't have the resources to pay into an investment of "let's solve this problem for good", but as the game moves to a later stage you need to stop distracting your pawns so they can efficiently make preparations for the final push. repairing crumple zones is a real cost every time you tank an attack. it's preferable to pawns taking hits, but it's still not something you want to be dealing with structurally.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Sep 10, 2019