Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Huxley posted:

I think it's just not very pushed. Very much a card where you can see the levers and each one is in the "this is not meant to be actually good" position.

It’s a counterspell that draws you an evasive card, it’s not the absolute best ever but it is also a solid card. It also cycles into a 2/1 flier when counterspells are mediocre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Tibalt posted:

Yeah but having an acceptable creature that can be a narrow counter spell (and later a creature) might be better than the sum of its parts.

Could be. I keep evaluating them in terms of casting both sides sequentially or over back-to-back turns, but until we see them in play and the rest of how Standard turns out, there's no way of knowing how valuable it will be.

Like anything, it wouldn't be hard to make a busted card out of the mechanic, but right now they've all looked like, "unplayable spell into unplayable creature," and honestly maybe slapping a built-in 2-for-1 makes that good enough (or making either side of the card remotely OK turns out to be absurd).

ALLAN LASSUS
May 11, 2007

apul.prof./ass.prof.
The showcase cards have such goddamn sweet art that it's a shame I won't ever see them since I don't play paper

Also if I would play paper I wouldn't see them anyway since I sure as hell wouldn't pay for the deluxe boosters

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It's a solid limited card, easy two-for-one early and still an evasive creature later. There's a bit of tension if you draw it late in whether you just want to play the creature and start poking in, or hang on to try and get value from the counter.

ALLAN LASSUS
May 11, 2007

apul.prof./ass.prof.
But really not a fan of this development that the showcase cards get some of the sweetest MTG art seen in ages and regular versions have super lovely CGI instead

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
It just feels like they're being really careful, because of all the ones we've seen there's been only one side of the split that would be a constructed playable on its own, and even that wouldn't be a guaranteed windmill 4-of.

Maybe careful is exactly right, or maybe they've got something up their sleeves.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Kurtofan posted:

Greedy Impulse {U/B}{U/B}{U/B}{U/B}

Sorcery (Uncommon)

Target opponent reveals their hand. You choose a nonland card in that player’s hand or graveyard, and exile it. For as long as that card remains exiled, you may cast it, and you may spend mana as though it were any type to cast it.

This card is great in limited.

drat this card is great in low to the ground aggro decks.

I hate this poo poo - efficient body with two keywords that just outright wins limited games if the opponent whiffs on removal.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

ALLAN LASSUS posted:

But really not a fan of this development that the showcase cards get some of the sweetest MTG art seen in ages and regular versions have super lovely CGI instead

They really really want the premium booster experiment to work out, but hopefully people won't bite and they'll decide to use good art on the cards people actually do buy instead.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Huxley posted:

It just feels like they're being really careful, because of all the ones we've seen there's been only one side of the split that would be a constructed playable on its own, and even that wouldn't be a guaranteed windmill 4-of.

Maybe careful is exactly right, or maybe they've got something up their sleeves.

If one side of the split is constructed playable on it's own, then the card is really good because it's constructed playable with even more good stuff tacked on.

Like, having a powerful constructed-playable spell and then letting you also play a middling creature afterwards as a bonus doesn't make the spell worse, it makes it better.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

that faerie is incredibly good, y’all on some poo poo if you don’t see that. I had to read it twice to make sure it didn’t say counter target noncreature spell that cost 3 or less. Spells that give you a card’s worth of value and then become a not-totally-embarrassing creature are always better than they look.

Huxley posted:

not to pick on you but this is exactly the opposite of the right way to evaluate split cards. If one half is constructed playable then the card is strictly better than a constructed playable card, which usually means it’s bonkers. Choice is super valuable. Nobody would play just Fire or just Ice (welllllll maybe on that latter as a one-of) but Fire//Ice is an all-timer. This goes double for Adventures because you get BOTH halves.

DAD LOST MY IPOD fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Sep 10, 2019

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'm actually really pleased with how many of the adventures seem totally playable and feel like the goon tendency to rush to call cards bad during preview season is really running rampant

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Goons are historically atrocious at card eval

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Holy poo poo dude can you please relax with these pushed knights

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Sampatrick posted:

It's literally the Knight set though.

I'm looking forward to 5C Good Knights.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Sampatrick posted:

no

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Modern knights can be a thing!

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

ilmucche posted:

Modern knights can be a thing!

Especially since most good knights are also humans.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Will the knight that can cast knights from the grave finally have his day (no)

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

Knights Smallpox inc

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

TheKingofSprings posted:

Leave Haakon alone, he's doing his best.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

not to pick on you but this is exactly the opposite of the right way to evaluate split cards. If one half is constructed playable then the card is strictly better than a constructed playable card, which usually means it’s bonkers. Choice is super valuable. Nobody would play just Fire or just Ice (welllllll maybe on that latter as a one-of) but Fire//Ice is an all-timer. This goes double for Adventures because you get BOTH halves.

Yeah, what I need to stop doing is evaluating them like split cards. These are all really bad split cards.

But these aren't Thrash/Threat. They're Thrash that draws you a Threat.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

Count Bleck posted:

Leave Haakon alone, he's doing his best.

Speaking of which, hope anybody who wanted him got some copies by now. Pretty sure he’s at or near $20 a pop now.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
they're aftermath cards that you can't even self mill, loving worthless

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Good thing Thalia is a Soldier and not a Knight.

Edit: There are enough sweepers in Standard to keep Knights from being bonkers, I think, but they really aren't holding back from just giving it lots of ways up be a threat.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Sep 10, 2019

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Thrash-that-draws-you-Threat/Threat

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Lots of cool cards so far

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Feels like the troll card should be more like the Hunted cycle from original Ravnica: you get a big creature, but your opponent gets a set of creatures that can kill yours. Him having a toll effect is weird too, in the story he doesn't get anything but an asskicking.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Huxley posted:

Yeah, what I need to stop doing is evaluating them like split cards. These are all really bad split cards.

But these aren't Thrash/Threat. They're Thrash that draws you a Threat.

they’re better even than that, because 1) you don’t have to cast the adventure side first and 2) half of the card being a creature is very good because it means all of your answers, card draw spells etc. do double duty as threats. A 2/1 flyer puts a clock on the enemy.

The only ones that I think are truly bad are the ones where one half is barely a card (and the remaining one doesn’t stand on its own), and the ones where the rate is truly appalling. Faerie Godmother is probably not playable because neither Worse Desperate Lunge nor Flying Men are actually cards.

Vaah
Dec 25, 2008

:shittydog:

Oooo feather like. A red for recursive haste and the option to do something like steal your bronto/sac and blow up your wilderec, etc

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Vaah posted:

Oooo feather like. A red for recursive haste and the option to do something like steal your bronto/sac and blow up your wilderec, etc

It also can get a blocker or two out of the way with Arcanist without doing any extra work.

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

Vaah posted:

Simply due to mana cost, this feels like the best hijack effect I've seen in a while.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
That threaten effect is ridiculous.

Like, I don't think people realize how good that card is going to be in any sort of constructed format that out sac outlets.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

I wonder if copies of adamant spells will copy the extra criteria being met. Probably not, I guess?

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

If your opponent has a mana dork, this is technically fixing. I'm uh, unsure that helps.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
That troll is going in a Grismold deck somewhere.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Claim the firstborn is going to be hilarious in any commander deck with a sac outlet because it'll constantly merc 3 CMC commanders.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Outside of a weird tempo deck like Simic Flash or UWU SEPHARA ^__^, this doesn't seem very good at all.

Like yes it's effectively a split card but both sides are bad. There's 20 split cards in standard right now and how much many of them are actually played? 3?

And even then you're asking for someone to play narrow countermagic in a world dominated by T3feri, where the payoff is a Welkin Tern.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
but it can counter 3feri

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Lone Goat posted:

Outside of a weird tempo deck like Simic Flash or UWU SEPHARA ^__^, this doesn't seem very good at all.

Like yes it's effectively a split card but both sides are bad. There's 20 split cards in standard right now and how much many of them are actually played? 3?

And even then you're asking for someone to play narrow countermagic in a world dominated by T3feri, where the payoff is a Welkin Tern.

It's a good card for draft, probably slightly better then that in sealed. It's costed to more likely then not be for standard.