Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
There's a return campaign in a few days and I'm brokebrained enough to consider hopping on to see what's changed over the long rear end years.

If the last expansion I bought was Wings of the Goddess, do I only need to buy Seekers of Adoulin to be "up to date"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Sounds right to me.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

arisu posted:

There's a return campaign in a few days and I'm brokebrained enough to consider hopping on to see what's changed over the long rear end years.

If the last expansion I bought was Wings of the Goddess, do I only need to buy Seekers of Adoulin to be "up to date"?

You should be set for the free campaign, but if not, you want the Ultimate Seekers Collection since there's a few add-on scenarios between WotG and SoA that still give gear that can be upgraded to relevancy.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Holy poo poo yes there’s still a FFXI thread, and apparently a return campaign I’m considering joining in for. I used to be on Phoenix back around 2004-2007, and I remember fading out from playing a bit after WotG. I’ll call the number in the OP to see if I can recover my Playonline data, I don’t remember what the credit card was so hopefully I can get by without it! If not, whatever, I had 75 DRG, 60 THF, and like 50-something BLU so it’s not like I had a shitton of endgame content I’ll be missing out on. e: also, is it possible to merge my old playonline account into my current square enix account? Would be nice if possible.

I’m considering roping a buddy of mine into playing too. I know the old days of 6 man parties and taking like a fuckin year to hit 75 on your first job are now gone, and you can use NPCs or whatever to grind up to 75 fairly easily. What a good duo combination for various content? Both EXPing and other stuff. It would be kind of fun to go back and duo the super HNMs I was never cool enough to have killed back in the day like Behemoth or Absolute Virtue.

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Aug 8, 2019

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

CodfishCartographer posted:

Holy poo poo yes there’s still a FFXI thread, and apparently a return campaign I’m considering joining in for. I used to be on Phoenix back around 2004-2007, and I remember fading out from playing a bit after WotG. I’ll call the number in the OP to see if I can recover my Playonline data, I don’t remember what the credit card was so hopefully I can get by without it! If not, whatever, I had 75 DRG, 60 THF, and like 50-something BLU so it’s not like I had a shitton of endgame content I’ll be missing out on.

I’m considering roping a buddy of mine into playing too. I know the old days of 6 man parties and taking like a fuckin year to hit 75 on your first job are now gone, and you can use NPCs or whatever to grind up to 75 fairly easily. What a good duo combination for various content? Both EXPing and other stuff. It would be kind of fun to go back and duo the super HNMs I was never cool enough to have killed back in the day like Behemoth or Absolute Virtue.

The level cap has been 99 for several years now, and there's now Item Level equipment post-99. The max is i119.

You can take whatever jobs you want, really, so level up whatever strikes your fancy and have a blast steamrolling this game.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

DizzyBum posted:

The level cap has been 99 for several years now, and there's now Item Level equipment post-99. The max is i119.

You can take whatever jobs you want, really, so level up whatever strikes your fancy and have a blast steamrolling this game.

Hell yeah

Are there any Kirin/Behemoth/Tiamiat/etc-style megabosses in the game anymore that still pose a challenge? Even though I was never party of an HNMLS, I loved these super huge bosses that took multiple alliances to kill, and only appeared every few days. It was like these mythical beasts that people had to band together to figure out how to topple, and even just getting to see them at all (let alone fight or defeat them) was a rarity and a major event, especially since some of them took weeks / months of grinding other HNMs in order to even attempt once! And of course Absolute Virtue / Pandemonium Warden which loving nobody could figure out how to kill for the longest time, which was SO loving cool. Modern day MMOs don't really seem to do this anymore, instead just opting for very difficult instances that once unlocked can be tried pretty much indefinitely.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Hell yeah

Are there any Kirin/Behemoth/Tiamiat/etc-style megabosses in the game anymore that still pose a challenge? Even though I was never party of an HNMLS, I loved these super huge bosses that took multiple alliances to kill, and only appeared every few days. It was like these mythical beasts that people had to band together to figure out how to topple, and even just getting to see them at all (let alone fight or defeat them) was a rarity and a major event, especially since some of them took weeks / months of grinding other HNMs in order to even attempt once! And of course Absolute Virtue / Pandemonium Warden which loving nobody could figure out how to kill for the longest time, which was SO loving cool. Modern day MMOs don't really seem to do this anymore, instead just opting for very difficult instances that once unlocked can be tried pretty much indefinitely.

The days of nigh-unkillable superbosses are long gone. Pretty much anything before the Seekers of Adoulin expansion can be solo'd at 99 with decent equipment and a solid lineup of Trust NPCs. For example, here's AV being solo'd by a 99 THF:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xcz5hVp0nso

I'm okay with this. We all grew up and suddenly didn't have the endless free time to burn on games like this.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Yeah that's fair enough, but still, alas.

Is besieged still a thing people interact with? Or all the Aht Urhgan NPCs and the astral whatever just eternal captured by the beastmen? Did we ever get a look at the far east or northern continents?

I know I can probably just Google all this, but it's fun to learn via word of mouth, just like the old days :v:

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Is besieged still a thing people interact with? Or all the Aht Urhgan NPCs and the astral whatever just eternal captured by the beastmen? Did we ever get a look at the far east or northern continents?

I know I can probably just Google all this, but it's fun to learn via word of mouth, just like the old days :v:

Because of the level cap, beseiged is a lesson in pain for the 3 armies. It still gets taken regularly though.

Never went to the far east or north. But did get a different continent, adoulin, and wherever reisinjima is.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

There's actually a monthly thing you can do to do a lottery thing for some good loot, and one of the objectives is Besieged, so that keeps the astral candescense pretty safe.

frodnonnag posted:

Because of the level cap, beseiged is a lesson in pain for the 3 armies. It still gets taken regularly though.

Never went to the far east or north. But did get a different continent, adoulin, and wherever reisinjima is.

Reisenjima is in the Far East. It's a tiny zone though. I wish they would've given us Tavnazia as the final zone. :(

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Feel free to hop on our Discord and we can answer all your questions pretty quickly!
https://discord.gg/MKw5d5a

As mentioned the days of super hard HNMs are gone, but SE has released some quite difficult BCNMs for the dedicated to challenge. Most content is a walk in the park these days, but certainly not all of it.

I say give the free login period a try. It's pretty fun to go stomp old content, experience all the story, and try things that needed a huge LS before. There is also a poo poo ton of new content since the 75 days. It would take you months to experience everything.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I would take advantage of the free login period if I wasn't already preoccupied with FFXIV, among other things.

Kazy posted:

Reisenjima is in the Far East. It's a tiny zone though. I wish they would've given us Tavnazia as the final zone. :(

I'm still a little disappointed that Dynamis - Tavnazia takes place in the Safehold and not the ruins of Tavnazia itself.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever

Holy poo poo yes there’s still a FFXI thread, and apparently a return campaign I’m considering joining in for. I used to be on Phoenix back around 2004-2007, and I remember fading out from playing a bit after WotG. I’ll call the number in the OP to see if I can recover my Playonline data, I don’t remember what the credit card was so hopefully I can get by without it! If not, whatever, I had 75 DRG, 60 THF, and like 50-something BLU so it’s not like I had a shitton of endgame content I’ll be missing out on. e: also, is it possible to merge my old playonline account into my current square enix account? Would be nice if possible.

Oh no poo poo, a 75 DRG from Phoenix? What was your in game name? I was Freja on that server during that time period.

I was deeeeeeeep in the HNM scene back then haha.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

arisu posted:

Oh no poo poo, a 75 DRG from Phoenix? What was your in game name? I was Freja on that server during that time period.

I was deeeeeeeep in the HNM scene back then haha.

I was Geal, I always hung out with Mayuhaku. Your character name is familiar! Although I can't remember if it was from just seeing you around or if we actually played together in any way, haha.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Double posting for questions:

Is thief still just relegated to a TH bot in the endgame? I enjoyed it while leveling up, as pulling + hate manipulation was always fun, but remembered the dread that in endgame it was useless beyond providing TH. I remember sometime after I left hearing that THF was used as a tank??

Is LOLDRG still a meme? I remember SAM was almost always the better choice outside of soloing / lowman, but now with trusts I could see drg’s utility for that kind of falling behind SAM again.

What do BSTs & PUPs do nowadays, now that soloing is super easy?

Does it still take hours to try to learn a single BLU spell? I never did manage to learn Frightful Roar…

Do SMNs get to do anything aside form being /WHM healers and exploding poo poo with their 2hr SP?

Did NINs ever get to become DPS like SE wanted, or are they still just tanks? Are NINs and RNGs still super expensive to play?

Speaking of which, what are the good ways to earn gil? I was never very good at this back in the day and was constantly broke, so couldn’t really play NIN or RNG much beyond getting NIN to 37 for subjobing.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

For THF, TH isn't as craved as it once was. THF is a moderate DPS now and still a great farmer. They wont find much place in top tier end game if people want to min/max. But for your average group they do fine.

The LOLDRG meme is pretty much gone. DRG are decent DPS and can become monsters with top end gear. They aren't top tier, but aren't far off.

BST still solos mainly, but they are monsters now and can solo a ton.
PUP is much the same, they are used in some groups here and there. Sometimes they really shine in Ambuscade as their pets can tank and not be charmed. But thats pretty niche.

BLU are incredible well rounded jobs. But learning spells still sucks hard.
I wouldn't level one as your first job, but as a second they can be huge assets and easily become your main.

SMNs don't heal at all anymore. They do insane amounts of damage when well geared. Bordering on OP in some situations.
In others they do good damage and provide buffs.

NIN are meh these days. They aren't very good tanks anymore, damage is mediocre. Still great soloers though.

Gil is pretty easy these days. Itcan be earned just by earning exp now by trading in sparks. Or farming Dynamis/Salvage is really easy as well. Just boring.
You won't be as gil strapped as the old days. There is more rare/ex gear to get instead of buying as much and farming expensive spells solo is easier.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

DRG isn't WAR or DRK, but it's not a joke status job anymore.

THF isn't is dire as once needed, but still has a place for TH. THF is also a strong DD job, but requires a lot of gil and time building gear sets to really start getting the DPS results.

I'm not as high on BLU vs about 18 months ago. It's a solid job and can do pretty well, but it takes time to learn all the spells and requires effort getting all the gear to be good. A well-rounded choice to solo all the missions and what not, still. Biggest problem with BLU is all the pubbies whined and whined about how strong the job was, so S-E leaves them off all new gear.

BST is a god awful job with the command range nerf. Don't loving bother. PUP is a much better pet class job.

SMN requires a lot of work to be invited for anything.

NIN is great if you want to do content involving abyssea and that's it and RNG is cool and good, but requires a lot of work. COR is a lot more popular than RNG though.

Overall I think if you avoid Monk and Paladin you'll be alright. Even BLM has some use in the newer dyna content. PLD and MNK are totally useless though, so don't waste the time on those jobs (which happens to be my 2 favorite jobs. gently caress).

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Since when has pld been useless? If soemthing is actually going to hit hard and not die in 5 seconds they are still useful.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Holy poo poo yes there’s still a FFXI thread, and apparently a return campaign I’m considering joining in for.

mods please change name to MoatcarpMapper

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Holyshoot posted:

Since when has pld been useless? If soemthing is actually going to hit hard and not die in 5 seconds they are still useful.

For smn burns you want run. There are situations where run's debuff mitigation makes it good, and there are situations where pld can sit there and soak damage for hours that run cant keep up with. Of the two howecer run is slightly better

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
A buddy I've gamed with for more than half of my life took his own life earlier this year, and I should have seen it coming after he said he was playing FFXI again. If you're thinking of going back, please don't. Please seek out counseling/therapy or just talk to someone.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

frodnonnag posted:

For smn burns you want run. There are situations where run's debuff mitigation makes it good, and there are situations where pld can sit there and soak damage for hours that run cant keep up with. Of the two howecer run is slightly better

Also a run can throw out damage if you need it to. A pld.... Lol

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Holyshoot posted:

Rune has enough -DT to handle things. PLD is just really bad and brings nothing to the table.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Shields are cool

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
esp ochain with its 110% block rate

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Chocobo posted:

A buddy I've gamed with for more than half of my life took his own life earlier this year, and I should have seen it coming after he said he was playing FFXI again. If you're thinking of going back, please don't. Please seek out counseling/therapy or just talk to someone.

I started playing again and I was worried I wouldn’t enjoy the game as much now that there’s less focus on party play while exping. Boy was I wrong, the new mostly-solo way of doing things is pretty drat rad, at least when playing through with a friend. Maybe it’d be less enjoyable if I was 100% solo, but everything moves along so quickly that it’s basically just really cool quest after really cool quest, with constantly discovering new things and areas to enjoy and explore. I think I might be having more fun with the game now than I did back when I played it religiously a decade ago. Back in “classic” FFXI, if I wanted to go try fighting some superboss or try out a new job, it often meant weeks or months of time dedicated to doing that, and it felt completely walled off unless I was willing to commit in a huge way. That’s not really the case anymore, and I can just kinda go wherever and do whatever the gently caress I want.

Please send help, FFXI has dug its claws into me and I can’t escape.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

If I want to check this game out, what do I buy? Does it have a purchase structure like ffxiv - i.e. buy the base game, then the latest expansion - or is it something else?

Also I hear that you can get fully automated AI parties so you can do everything, is that true?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I think you can only buy the one package anymore, it has everything

There's some stuff you can't do with trusts but by and large they'll let you see most of what XI is

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I just bought the ultimate pack on steam, it was on sale for like ten bucks or something.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007
So hey, for the three people that read this terrible dead thread, SE announced that summoner is getting a new avatar. Sylph.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
they should be taking summons away

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Where can you find news about upcoming stuff like that? A Google turns up nothing.

Also, starting fresh nowadays gives the storylines a very different feel. Before it felt like you dealt with a crisis, the world was calm for a bit, then something else eventually cropped up. Now with everything running in tandem, it feels like the world is goddamn shattering. First a weird shantotto shows up, then the beastmen start organizing, then some girl arrives from the future, then a weird crystal shows up in the sky, then bahamut shows up and says the apocalypse is coming. Yeah, no poo poo dude!

To actually encourage some discussion: what’s the best order / time to do all these storylines? I know Rhapsodies of Vanadiel requires you to make progress in most (all?) of the other storylines, and that it provides some good rewards such as exp boosting stuff. Does that mean I should try to run all of them in tandem? I worry I’ll lose track of what’s happening if I do, as opposed to going through one to completion before starting the next.

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Sep 3, 2019

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I went through Rhapsodies until I got stuck and continued my existing storylines until I was able to get help. Also, completing a story line gives you an XP buff, so there is that to look forward to.

Necrosaro
Dec 31, 2008

A Necrosaro Appears!
Fun Shoe

frodnonnag posted:

So hey, for the three people that read this terrible dead thread, SE announced that summoner is getting a new avatar. Sylph.

I heard the new summon was Siren as shown in this video, at 2:18:18, but that would kinda be redundant with Garuda.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUd-S9036bU&t=8298s

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Necrosaro posted:

I heard the new summon was Siren as shown in this video, at 2:18:18, but that would kinda be redundant with Garuda.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUd-S9036bU&t=8298s

You can pretty clearly hear them saying "Siren" in that clip, so that settles that I guess.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZkVv4pJqNc

Hit me with the nostalgia right in the veins

Oh man. I played FF11 when it was released in high school, and this brings back a lot of memories of that. Despite it being a pain in the rear end, I actually remember thinking the PlayOnline thing was really slick looking and fancy.

One thing I remember from playing that was probably a relic of those earlier times is people thinking I was a girl IRL because I had a female avatar (which is something I think pretty much no one assumes anymore unless you explicitly say it's the case). People would frequently hit on my female Hume WHM and even give me items and gil.

Despite playing a long time, I never got higher than level 40 or so on my main job, and didn't play during any of the future expansions (though my friend kept playing and ended up becoming pretty hardcore; he didn't quit until like 2011 or so). I have some good memories of just grinding stuff in a group while talking about random things like it was a chatroom, though I know I would bored out of my mind if I tried to play it now.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

So I made an alt because I wanted to start from scratch but didn't want to delete my current character (and also has the Moogle Trust dude and I think he's from a special event)

Decided for now that I want to stick with Red Mage for a while. What's a good subjob for that? I'm thinking Black Mage because more kaboom=more betterer.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

For exp? DNC I would say, Lets you stab something in the face twice with two swords.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

frodnonnag posted:

wut

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Question about thief merits, in the event anyone here plays thief: I see a lot of people saying that Assassin’s Charge is pointless and to not put any merits into it. How come? I would think the big damage buff on weapon skills would be great. Is it mostly just because putting the points into Ambush lets you gear more attack, and that increases damage overall? Wouldn’t it be worth sacrificing one point of Ambush for one point of Assassin’s Charge, to get that extra strong WS every once in a while? Surely that would be more damage than an extra 3 accuracy, even if it is only every 5 minutes, right?