Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just want to be a Diablo 2 necromancer, please tell me how

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

skeletons are just robots you goof

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Clark Nova posted:

skeletons are just robots you goof

ur just an organic robot if you think about it

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Addamere posted:

I just want to be a Diablo 2 necromancer, please tell me how

There's a workshop somewhere around the Deadlands that might let you do that

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Skeletons aren't even hard early game you just swipe a repair pack from the nearest trader and you're fine

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Not very hard, just harder. It's a bit circumstantial, though. Once you get good at the game, there's really no such thing as a non-viable character. Even the one-armed rando in the desert is more than survivable.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Cardiovorax posted:

Skeletons are legit harder to start with if you only start with a single guy, because repair tools are loving expensive and the HP decay attrition can get you in a bad way.

Once you have a group of three or more, though? Easy mode.

Could definitely see that, would have to play it safe generating some cash then doing the shark to hub run to get 2 recruits. I did that 5 start one and recruited 3 more.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Skeletons are only harder if you don't steal.

Always be stealing.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Skeletons are only harder if you don't steal.

Always be stealing.

It's me, the Dunmer who spent 2 hours stealing everything not nailed down in Balmora and piling it in the mages guild.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
But why would you put stolen things in the Mages' Guild if you could steal things from the Mages' Guild?

Seriously, Galbedir's soulstones financed so many of my Morrowind runs.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
So, other people with prisoner recruitment, how do you actually recruit dust/starving bandits? They're listed as "easy", but when I start conversations it goes

1. "wanna join" or "what are you in for", first option moves on, second ends conversation instantly
2. "we'll give you food" or "haha food is for winners", first moves forward, second ends conversation instantly
3. they say "oh, give me food" then the only option is "gently caress you got mine" and the conversation ends instantly

The ninjas all recruited just fine as long as you didn't go all weeaboo with the conversation options, but the bandit conversation seems to just end with you trolling them about eating.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Just don't save scum steal.

Early game stealing and getting your rear end beat + thrown in a cage is part of the experience.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Just don't save scum steal.

Early game stealing and getting your rear end beat + thrown in a cage is part of the experience.

Just pick up poo poo on the ground and your thievery will get so high you can just stare the shopkeeper right in the eyes as you take stuff out of his counter with a 185% chance of success

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Azhais posted:

So, other people with prisoner recruitment, how do you actually recruit dust/starving bandits? They're listed as "easy", but when I start conversations it goes
It's semi-random by design. The same answers actually don't always work and there's always a random guy who wants way more than is justified for what he can do for you. Personally, I stick with slavery mods as a result. They basically allow you to use the same prisoner dialogue, but with way fewer hoops to jump through. Prisoner Recruitment is popular with people who still want there to be a cost to it.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Cardiovorax posted:

It's semi-random by design. The same answers actually don't always work and there's always a random guy who wants way more than is justified for what he can do for you. Personally, I stick with slavery mods as a result. They basically allow you to use the same prisoner dialogue, but with way fewer hoops to jump through. Prisoner Recruitment is popular with people who still want there to be a cost to it.

It isn't random at all, that series is reproducible 100% of the time. the only variation is when I forget to remove their weapon and they just call me an rear end in a top hat and refuse to talk at all.

They all whine about rice bowls and vegetables, I'm wondering if you just can't recruit them without a farm or something

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Azhais posted:

It isn't random at all, that series is reproducible 100% of the time. the only variation is when I forget to remove their weapon and they just call me an rear end in a top hat and refuse to talk at all.

They all whine about rice bowls and vegetables, I'm wondering if you just can't recruit them without a farm or something

Are you carrying food to give them?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Azhais posted:

Really? Because I know I remember talking to the same person over and over and getting different sequences of dialogue each time.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Azhais posted:

1. "wanna join" or "what are you in for", first option moves on, second ends conversation instantly
2. "we'll give you food" or "haha food is for winners", first moves forward, second ends conversation instantly
3. they say "oh, give me food" then the only option is "gently caress you got mine" and the conversation ends instantly

The ninjas all recruited just fine as long as you didn't go all weeaboo with the conversation options, but the bandit conversation seems to just end with you trolling them about eating.

Carry food on you and you have to loot their weapon first.. they cannot be recruited armed

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cardiovorax posted:

But why would you put stolen things in the Mages' Guild if you could steal things from the Mages' Guild?

Seriously, Galbedir's soulstones financed so many of my Morrowind runs.

I used to min/max and steal everything and yeah her soulstones were part of it. Nowadays it's more fun for me to try to play suboptimally in scrolls games because if you try even a little you break the game open lol

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Are you carrying food to give them?

First time no, second and subsequent times I keep carrying an increasing variety of things, including making half the continent shopping trips to get exotic foods like "rice" that aren't available locally

I've got meat cubes, and dried meat, and ration packs, and dustwiches, and rice bowls, and whatever those bamboo looking meat items are, and fish from the fishing mod. You name it I've pretty much got it on me other than raw vegetables since I don't have any farms which I suppose is my next option

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Gohan is a common request. It's also easy to make.

Addamere posted:

I used to min/max and steal everything and yeah her soulstones were part of it. Nowadays it's more fun for me to try to play suboptimally in scrolls games because if you try even a little you break the game open lol
lol, yeah. I just thought it was a funny thing to say, because "rob crystal girl blind" was a standard feature of so many of my runs.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
How do I maintain a sense of advancement (like RPG getting stronger) for my dudes (generally run a smaller squad as managing a bunch of dudes is tedious) without hitting all the best delves in the map? I pretty much know where all the high value locations are and it's difficult to not beeline to one as soon as I start for masterwork gear or whatever.

But I also don't wanna use vendor trash forever. I guess this is an impossible question as it's pretty personal I guess.

Just trying to get back in after not playing since the beginning of the year.

Also, any updates worth mentioning since then?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Recent 1.0+ updates have all been bugfixes, so nothing really comes to mind. You might want to consider mods, though. I usually run a 5x XP mod and it really makes everything feel much smoother in that RPG progression sense that you are talking about. You feel less need to exploit things when the growth is less halting, I suppose.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Cardiovorax posted:

Recent 1.0+ updates have all been bugfixes, so nothing really comes to mind. You might want to consider mods, though. I usually run a 5x XP mod and it really makes everything feel much smoother in that RPG progression sense that you are talking about. You feel less need to exploit things when the growth is less halting, I suppose.

what mod is that?

also i thought you could set XP rates in game, or does it not work like i thought?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I believe changing the death rate in the options menu makes it so you earn more xp to offset the increased deaths. Don't think there is one beyond that.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Tabletops posted:

what mod is that?

also i thought you could set XP rates in game, or does it not work like i thought?
Just look for XP multiplier mods on the workshop or the Nexus. There's an entire line of these that give you anything from 5x to 100x. Be aware that enemies also level up over time, but they're not as good as it as you are and staying as low as 5x is enough to make sure that the world doesn't instantly outlevel you or something silly like that.

Leal posted:

I believe changing the death rate in the options menu makes it so you earn more xp to offset the increased deaths. Don't think there is one beyond that.
And yeah, what Leal said. I believe it's not the lethality setting but the damage multiplier, and it only makes up for it to the degree that the damage multiplier would shorten fights by the same amount. Summa summarum you end up with basically the same result.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Cardiovorax posted:

Just look for XP multiplier mods on the workshop or the Nexus. There's an entire line of these that give you anything from 5x to 100x. Be aware that enemies also level up over time, but they're not as good as it as you are and staying as low as 5x is enough to make sure that the world doesn't instantly outlevel you or something silly like that.

And yeah, what Leal said. I believe it's not the lethality setting but the damage multiplier, and it only makes up for it to the degree that the damage multiplier would shorten fights by the same amount. Summa summarum you end up with basically the same result.

thank you! loaded up the 3x one will give a try.

also grabbed let's talk and a biome map replacement I think.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im a genderless robot who picks up trash and repairs injured humans :toot:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Tabletops posted:

thank you! loaded up the 3x one will give a try.

also grabbed let's talk and a biome map replacement I think.
I prefer the standard Better Looking Map without biomes, but Let's Talk is a good choice. Have fun!

XP mods only affect a single, very high-level variable and you can exchange them at will even within a running game. Just switch out and reload. Thought you might like to know that. :)

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
For a followup on the recruitment issues I was having: Food in backpack doesn't count, only food in main inventory

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I brought my 8 man gang over to the Crab People and they were not at all happy to meet me.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Azhais posted:

For a followup on the recruitment issues I was having: Food in backpack doesn't count, only food in main inventory
Is that confirmed by anyone else? Because I do not remember that being a problem at all.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Cardiovorax posted:

Is that confirmed by anyone else? Because I do not remember that being a problem at all.

I’ve had it happen too. Starving dude was just wanting whatever I had but the dustwich in my backpack didn’t count.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Bussamove posted:

I’ve had it happen too. Starving dude was just wanting whatever I had but the dustwich in my backpack didn’t count.

I mean, they ARE the leading cause of desert suicides

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Zesty posted:

I brought my 8 man gang over to the Crab People and they were not at all happy to meet me.

If you wanna get in good with the crab raiders you have to send a sneaky envoy to chat up the crab queen, or set up a base near their territory and win a crab tournament

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Bussamove posted:

Alright, duly noted. I'll see if I can figure out the reason or at least inform the mod dev, if nothing else.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I repaired a shack in the hub and I bought some first aid kits to try to heal injured or dying humans I encounter. Problem is most of the dying humans are also starving and I don't know how to feed them when they are unconscious.

Nanashi the robot is not the best medic. :(

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Maybe if you had gone with Isha instead.

And yeah, your robot is not the only skeleton who tend to forget that those squishy meatbags actually need to eat. Say hi to Tinfist when you meet him. :v:

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My robot was attacked by bandits so I ran away and led them into town to get slaughtered by guards. Free things to sell! But now my chest is hurt and drops some whenever I move. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Addamere posted:

I repaired a shack in the hub and I bought some first aid kits to try to heal injured or dying humans I encounter. Problem is most of the dying humans are also starving and I don't know how to feed them when they are unconscious.

Nanashi the robot is not the best medic. :(

you need to plant food on them. they'll eat it when they wake up

you can also pick them up if they're hostile. you can interact with their inventory that way, drop them, and run away

e: go north from Hub, past the big plateau, and check out the Shek town there for repair kits