Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Not really interested in another Mac until the ARM switch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eames
May 9, 2009

American McGay posted:

The only "knock it out of the park" thing in this list is the new 16" MacBook.

Ehh, I wouldn’t hold my breath. The leakers with decent track records said that it’s the same old 15“ butterfly keyboard device with a new screen that has thinner bezels.

Mu Zeta posted:

Not really interested in another Mac until the ARM switch.

:hai:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I remember when the thing to mock about Apple was that they kept making everything smaller and smaller

https://www.ilounge.com/index.php/news/comments/steve-jobs-debuts-ipod-micro-pequeno-invisa-on-snl-sketch

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Gay Retard posted:

Well, if the rumors are true, next year's smaller sized iPhone X/Pro will be 5.4" instead of 5.8", and we might see a reduced front camera module (and Touch ID in the display). You won't be getting any phone smaller than that from any other maker. They're also saying this year's Face ID will work from a far better angle, too.
I activated a 5C for temporary use because I shattered the screen on my android and I feel like I am using a children's toy. It's just so tiny. It can fit a single full tweet+picture on its screen! Nobody is ever going to make a small flagship phone again.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Gobbeldygook posted:

Nobody is ever going to make a small flagship phone again.

That's fine and dandy. It would just be nice if someone kept making non-flagship phones that aren't straining to maintain a distinct product categorisation from tablets. The SE was the best iPhone of its generation.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The problem with the SE isn't the screen size it's that the OS didn't support a higher resolution to offer more real estate. A jailbroken SE with increased resolution is the greatest phone in the world.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Tippis posted:

That's fine and dandy. It would just be nice if someone kept making non-flagship phones that aren't straining to maintain a distinct product categorisation from tablets. The SE was the best iPhone of its generation.

Hell, make it bright pink and call it the iGirlPhone if you like. I just want something I can actually fit in my pockets and use without spraining my thumb.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

American McGay posted:

The problem with the SE isn't the screen size it's that the OS didn't support a higher resolution to offer more real estate. A jailbroken SE with increased resolution is the greatest phone in the world.

Wouldn’t this make the touch targets too small?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I don’t care, I miss being able to reach the top left menu area with my right thumb.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Last Chance posted:

Wouldn’t this make the touch targets too small?
I suppose that's their reasoning for not allowing it in stock, but I used it exclusively for 3 years and never had any issues with it.

I also understand I'm in the extreme minority but God every time I pick up my old SE I get so envious. It's like the perfect form factor for me.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
I’m still on an SE and the only thing tempting me to upgrade is some extra LTE bands.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Gay Retard posted:

The iPhone X is the best designed iPhone since the iPhone 4S. Stainless steel with no unsightly plastic antenna lines.

I still miss my 4S. Give me a modern phone with a screen about the same size as my new 7, and the 4S styling. Ives is a good enough designer to be comfortable stealing, and Leica was about the only manufacturer with better feeling devices than Apple.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.

mllaneza posted:

I still miss my 4S. Give me a modern phone with a screen about the same size as my new 7, and the 4S styling. Ives is a good enough designer to be comfortable stealing, and Leica was about the only manufacturer with better feeling devices than Apple.

Loved my 5S. Never had the SE. Now I'm stuck with the monstrosity that is Galaxy S8+. Don't get me wrong it's beautiful and the large screen is great for browsing and certain productivity but I like the small form factor and single handed operation of the 5S and SE.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

I have an XR, but I kept my SE as a chicken switch. The small form factor is hard to replace.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

8 Plus is too big. I think the X might be the right size

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I switched to a Pixel 3 which I believe is on the smaller end of most phones nowadays and I still wish it were smaller.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

XBenedict posted:

I have an XR, but I kept my SE as a chicken switch. The small form factor is hard to replace.

Please don't spank your hens with your phone.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Is there a particularly inexpensive way to get basic MS Office for a Mac these days?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Eh, it's called Office365 these days.

If you're a student at a participating institution, free? Or $80 for a four year student subscription, otherwise so far as I know it's $99 yearly for a Home Premium subscription to Office365.

Edit: $50 for single user, 1 year (Personal) if you download from Amazon, goes up from there.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Sep 10, 2019

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Looks like Microsoft killed off cheap copies of Office in their Home Use program, replacing it with a discount on the subscription service. :rolleyes:

There are also cheap keys on eBay, which are apparently legal to resell in the EU

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
Family package (up to five users per license) can be cheap if split with friends and family. I got it for free using my university license.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I laughed the first time I saw the big iPhone in person. Owner looked like she was a little kid using her mom's phone.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Binary Badger posted:

Eh, it's called Office365 these days.

If you're a student at a participating institution, free? Or $80 for a four year student subscription, otherwise so far as I know it's $99 yearly for a Home Premium subscription to Office365.

Edit: $50 for single user, 1 year (Personal) if you download from Amazon, goes up from there.

Do you know if they have deals for actual public school teachers?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

AlternateAccount posted:

I believe that they do, but you may need to ask your district's IT personnel about that?

All I know is some NYC Board of Ed teachers get it free but depends; some weird poo poo where they buy it in bulk from Dell because they're the assigned vendors or some poo poo like that.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
You'd have to ask your IT people.

I work in higher ed, and staff, faculty, and students can install Office on 5 computers as part of the licensing.

It all depends on the licensing agreement you have with MS or whatever vendor you might use such as Dell.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

AlternateAccount posted:

I used to have my dad order me software from here with his high school teacher credentials:
http://www.academicsuperstore.com/

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Gay Retard posted:

It sounds like Apple might knock it out of the park on Tuesday:

• iPhone and iPad Updates
  • Apple Watch Refresh/Update (OLED display, titanium and ceramic options, sleep tracking, better battery life)
  • iMac Update (Minor speed bumps?)
  • 16" MacBook Pro Refresh
  • AirPods 3 Refresh (Noise Cancelling)
  • Apple TV update (New Remote?! Pack-in Controller? Game-focused with Apple Arcade)
  • "Tile" tracking devices (with AR support - point your phone to where the tile is and it shows a digital balloon attached to the tile. I'd love to put one of these things on my dog's collar)
  • Some sort of "one more thing" AR/VR device?

Did I miss anything?
lolling @ this

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

you forgot to cross out sleep tracking :argh:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

why would apple announce mac and other hardware things at their yearly iDevice keynote? they don't do that stuff until later in the fall.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

American McGay posted:

lolling @ this

Rumors are fun. Looks like most of the stuff will be held off for the upcoming Fall iPad event.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

So, still no TouchID — time to stock up on 8:s for the end-time… :eng99:

That said, it's interesting that it's seemingly such an asked-for feature that they feel the need to explicitly dig their heels in and ad a huge “nono, this is much better and secure and things” blurb to defend Face ID as part of their marketing.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Sep 10, 2019

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Tippis posted:

So, still no TouchID — time to stock up on 8:s for the end-time… :eng99:

That said, it's interesting that it's seemingly such an asked-for feature that they feel the need to explicitly dig their heels in and ad a huge “nono, this is much better and secure and things” blurb to defend Face ID as part of their marketing.

FaceID: thanks, I hate it.

clings to her iPhone 8.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

FaceID: thanks, I hate it.

clings to her iPhone 8.

FaceID is awesome though.

Ideally we’d have both but I have to assume whole screen Touch ID isn’t ready for prime time or they would do it.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

MarcusSA posted:

FaceID is awesome though.

Ideally we’d have both but I have to assume whole screen Touch ID isn’t ready for prime time or they would do it.

Sometimes I don't want my phone to unlock until I ask it to, not any time I look at it.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Sometimes I don't want my phone to unlock until I ask it to, not any time I look at it.

Just don't swipe up?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Gay Retard posted:

Just don't swipe up?

Yeah. :shrug:

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Face ID is about 1,000,000x better than Touch ID ever was imo. If the 11 Pro has the iPad Pro's angles and makes it work when you're lying down then it'll be pretty much perfect

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Really kinda sucks if you want to unlock your phone but can't look at it (you're driving, it's in your pocket, etc)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Data Graham posted:

Really kinda sucks if you want to unlock your phone but can't look at it (you're driving, it's in your pocket, etc)

Why do you need to unlock your phone when you are driving but can’t look at it?

Or pocket for that matter...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Data Graham posted:

It unlocks from my mount in my car and what's the use case for unlocking your phone in your pocket??

Yup^^