Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Elephanthead posted:

I sometimes take my wheels off just to inspect the brakes.

Everybody stay back, we got a wild one here!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Does this guy think he is better than us?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Also not answering emails from potential customers is a GREAT way to earn business.

Edit: Two emails unanswered so I called an have been on hold for 12 minutes. I just want to buy dis carrrrrr.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Sep 10, 2019

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

My local dealer showed a new FiST in stock, so I popped by to find out that it didn't exist, and none of the salespersons knew what a FiST was, and asked me flat out "why would you want that for?"

Death to car dealers imo

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

angryrobots posted:

My local dealer showed a new FiST in stock, so I popped by to find out that it didn't exist, and none of the salespersons knew what a FiST was, and asked me flat out "why would you want that for?"

Death to car dealers imo
Its posts like these that make me think I would be an awesome car salesperson because I still somehow give a drat about people and like making them happy. But then I realize I'd make a terrible car salesperson because I won't lie and swindle to make sure I meet some arbitrary sales numbers.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Night Danger Moose posted:

Its posts like these that make me think I would be an awesome car salesperson because I still somehow give a drat about people and like making them happy. But then I realize I'd make a terrible car salesperson because I won't lie and swindle to make sure I meet some arbitrary sales numbers.

I always remind myself, when I find myself grinding my teeth at a dealer, that there is a retired athlete or rich guy's son who funds their yachts and cocaine from this place. There is zero altruism in a dealership, they are not representatives of the OEM. Its an investment only and everyone who works there is incentivized to squeeze every dollar out of anyone who walks in the door.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

angryrobots posted:

Death to car dealers imo

When I drove one it was the only one they had, and they wondered why I was interested in it, like I got strange looks.

The car was loving filthy like it hadn't been washed in months. It must have been parked in a gravel lot because there was gravel dust all over it, the floors and interior were dirty, it seriously looked liked a used car and it was obvious they didn't give a poo poo about it. And the funny thing is i called ahead the day before so they knew I was coming to see it so you think they would bother to clean the loving thing. I'm sure they figured they would just up sell me into something else anyway.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I got transferred 3 times! Then back to the first person. Jesus. They want me to use their in house financing and kept steering the conversation back to that. I won't buy a car that isn't through my credit union so I guess I'll have to fly out there and pay cash if i want that one.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
lmao imagine flying across the country to get fisted

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

You should be able to go ahead and get financed and take a cashier's check with you to buy the car. Just have to be very clear with the dealer, that whatever deal you agree on over the phone/email needs to be final and you need a definite out the door number.

They do this all the time with other dealerships, don't let them act like it's a big deal.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm actually unable to fly and drive which is why I'm so salty about their attitude. It's fine, there's plenty out there, I just jumped on the first cheap one with the miles and options i wanted. I'll keep looking. Might be a good thing as my wife really wanted me to wait and only reluctantly agreed to this.

Edit: I have 14 other viable options bookmarked right now.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Sep 10, 2019

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

BraveUlysses posted:

lmao imagine flying across the country to get fisted

I flew across the country to get fisted and it ended up being too small.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

angryrobots posted:

Death to car dealers imo

Applebees Appetizer posted:

When I drove one it was the only one they had, and they wondered why I was interested in it, like I got strange looks.

The car was loving filthy like it hadn't been washed in months. It must have been parked in a gravel lot because there was gravel dust all over it, the floors and interior were dirty, it seriously looked liked a used car and it was obvious they didn't give a poo poo about it. And the funny thing is i called ahead the day before so they knew I was coming to see it so you think they would bother to clean the loving thing. I'm sure they figured they would just up sell me into something else anyway.

I'll give VW this: they understand why the GTI and Golf R are desirable and seem to love selling them. Not a single person in a VW dealership would ever say something like "GTI? Why do you want one of those?" And once I was committed to a Golf R, you better believe they didn't try to change my mind and move me into anything else.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

PT6A posted:

I'll give VW this: they understand why the GTI and Golf R are desirable and seem to love selling them. Not a single person in a VW dealership would ever say something like "GTI? Why do you want one of those?" And once I was committed to a Golf R, you better believe they didn't try to change my mind and move me into anything else.

There's a part of me that regrets not ordering a custom color Golf R. The dealer here said I could have one, and there's an Irish Green and Viper Green Golf R that go to a local C&C that look awesome.

Although the guy who got the Irish Green one seems to regret getting a Golf R in the first place.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I also thought about it but it was too much money for a car that I didn't totally want.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The one in WA isn't happening. The internet sales person was more pleasant to speak to and was totally fine with my own financing but he kept insisting that taxes were a part of the sale which is bullshit, I pay the tax here in Indiana when I register the drat car. He said I was mistaken and wouldn't budge on that so I'm done trying to buy that one.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i already told you that dealer fuckin sucks bro

what you have to do is to pay the tax and then later request a refund

https://dor.wa.gov/find-taxes-rates/retail-sales-tax/sales-nonresidents

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Sep 12, 2019

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I didn't disbelieve you! But that car hit the sweet spot of color, miles and seats. I'm in no hurry to pay tax on a car twice.

Sadly most of the other ones that hit the spot have those orange seats so I'll just bide my time for now.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

i already told you that dealer fuckin sucks bro

what you have to do is to pay the tax and then later request a refund

https://dor.wa.gov/find-taxes-rates/retail-sales-tax/sales-nonresidents

According to that link, only a few states are even eligible for the sales tax refund, and Illinois isn't one of them? Fake edit - the states on that list don't charge taxes on vehicle sales. That's why they're eligible for a refund, otherwise WA dealers would be at a disadvantage selling to anyone in those states.

I'm pretty sure that you're obligated to pay the local sales tax, but you can show the receipt of tax paid to the DMV and you won't have to pay your state tax, just registration and road use tax. Well, unless their tax is lower than your states tax... In that case I think you're obligated to pay the difference.

Earlier this year I got a title on a trailer that had never been titled, still had the Certificate of Origin from the manufacturer (SC doesn't require plates and doesn't tax trailers so there's a ton of trailers with none or missing/never titled). The DMV rep first told me I'd need proof of sales tax paid (in 1989 mind you) on the initial sale, but ended up accepting an affidavit from the dealer stating that they are SC licensed and collect tax on all sales.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The dealer I bought my Miata from tried the same thing, I told them it was incorrect and that unpaid the sales tax when I registered the car and they immediately backed off and agreed. I told this dealer that and they insisted that wasn't correct. So yeah, done. I'll find one closer to home.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

https://www2.illinois.gov/rev/individuals/Pages/cars.aspx

Your state DMV posted:

What if I purchase or lease a vehicle from an out-of-state dealer, lending institution, leasing company, or other retailer?

When an Illinois resident purchases a vehicle from an out-of-state dealer and will title the car in Illinois, the sale and subsequent tax due is reported on Form RUT-25 when you bring the vehicle into Illinois. You should attach a copy of the bill of sale as proof of the purchase price.
If you are leasing the vehicle from an out-of-state retailer, you must use Form RUT-25-LSE to report the transaction. Attach a copy of the bill of sale or lease contract, as appropriate, as proof of the selling price and of any tax previously paid. If you cannot obtain the proper documentation, you may submit a letter from the leasing company or selling dealer.

Like, don't get mad. I'm not trying to be right just to prove you wrong, but if you buy from a dealer who isn't registered to pay Illinois motor vehicle sales tax, you're gonna run in to this.

I just want you to get FiSTed ok

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Illinois and Indiana are different states, FYI.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
we all want you properly fisted

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Suburban Dad posted:

Illinois and Indiana are different states, FYI.

I named the dog Indiana

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Indiana has the same thing, and spells it out even more clearly:

Your actual state DMV posted:

Sales/Use Tax

When you purchase a vehicle in Indiana, you must pay sales tax on the purchase price of the vehicle. If a vehicle is purchased from an Indiana dealership, the dealer will collect the sales tax and provide proof of the sales tax paid on an ST108 – Certificate of Gross Retail or Use Tax Paid – State Form 48842. If a vehicle is purchased privately, the sales tax must be paid at a license branch when you apply for the Indiana certificate of title.

Indiana residents who purchased a vehicle from a state other than Indiana, including non-Indiana dealers, will receive credit for the sales tax paid in that state. If you paid less than the amount of sales tax Indiana would have assessed, you must pay the difference to Indiana at the time of the application for the Indiana certificate of title.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

:argh: how dare you spoil my amusement

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The solution is to not register it in Indiana!

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

What kind of psychopath goes to dmv websites for fun? Do NC next.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
You don't collect taxes on a vehicle sold to someone out of state unless they physically come to pick it up. Means that if someone buys a car off a lot in Florida but elects to have it shipped, they don't pay Florida taxes. If they come pick it up though then they must pay taxes and they get reimbursement in whatever state they register it if needed. As far as I know that's how all states are as it's just assumed someone somewhere is collecting the taxes.

Source: Am a registered dealer in Florida and don't read DMV websites for fun

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
I bought my gti at a dealer in Maine, but as a NH resident I didn't pay any taxes on it. All I did was provide proof of residence.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I guess I wasn't clear that I wouldn't be buying this in person. I don't have enough free vacation days to fly out to WA and drive back. Have bought four cars from across state lines in the past and all have been trucked in, sales tax was paid at the dmv.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

I live in Ohio and bought my car last month in Indiana. They collected Ohio sales tax at the time of purchase, and then when I registered it back home I had to pay my county sales tax :shrug:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
And you bought it in person?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I flew to Milwaukee to buy my m3. Didn't pay any tax until I registered it in Colorado. Private party purchase.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

fknlo posted:

I flew to Milwaukee to buy my m3. Didn't pay any tax until I registered it in Colorado. Private party purchase.

Are private citizens even allowed to charge tax when selling a car?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Rhyno posted:

Are private citizens even allowed to charge tax when selling a car?

No, but there was weird stuff involving the DMV to get the title released and a temp tag so it did get brought up there.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Yeah I've bought cars from private parties as well as those using dealers as pass throughs oos and only paid tax at the DMV when registering

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Rhyno posted:

And you bought it in person?

Yeah

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003
God! A red nugget! A fat egg under a dog!

fknlo posted:

Traveled to NY to buy a car from a dealer and didn't pay tax. Paid it when I registered at home. The dealer wanted to charge me the tax, I said no, I'll pay it at registration, and we were done. Same thing with my wife's car we bought from MD (wherein dealers are not allowed to sell cars on Sundays bc Jesus).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Sounds pretty much like what I've experienced. I guess there is a waiver you can present if it's in certain states that shows you paid the taxes already but that's excessive work. FiST-having dealer sent me two more messages, the second saying they have in person interest in the car so LoL, we'll see where we stand in a week.