Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Does anyone know what that clock icon on my Mail app is? This is iOS 13 (public beta 7 or 8, whichever the recent one is). I’ve never seen it before and it looks like it only shows up when in the dock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Boris Galerkin posted:

Does anyone know what that clock icon on my Mail app is? This is iOS 13 (public beta 7 or 8, whichever the recent one is). I’ve never seen it before and it looks like it only shows up when in the dock.
Pretty sure that was in iOS 12. The clock icons means that the iPad thinks you usually open Mail around this time of day, so it’s in the little “suggested apps” block on the right of your taskbar. Similarly you’ll get a phone icon if your iPhone is currently unlocked and using an app that has Continuity support.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Question Mark Mound posted:

Pretty sure that was in iOS 12. The clock icons means that the iPad thinks you usually open Mail around this time of day, so it’s in the little “suggested apps” block on the right of your taskbar. Similarly you’ll get a phone icon if your iPhone is currently unlocked and using an app that has Continuity support.

Hmm interesting. I knew Siri has the suggested apps widget but didn’t know they also show up on the dock.

Purr Objectives
Mar 3, 2017

Live fast, die young, and leave a beautiful corpse.
Finally got an iPad (used 2017 pro, inherited from my sister). Haven’t had one since the iPad 2 many many years ago. Any must-have apps or anything I should know?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I love having Night Shift (like f.lux and all of the new built-in options for warming the color tempaerature in most operating systems) turned on for night time reading. That was previously a jailbreak-only thing years ago

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Purr Objectives posted:

Finally got an iPad (used 2017 pro, inherited from my sister). Haven’t had one since the iPad 2 many many years ago. Any must-have apps or anything I should know?

Do you like board games? It’s a pretty nice platform for those. If you like comics there are good apps for that, although now that I get most comic books from Amazon I just use the default Kindle app.

Any kind of media consumption is awesome on the Pro, so your Amazon Primes, HBO Gos, Hulu’s, etc.

Purr Objectives
Mar 3, 2017

Live fast, die young, and leave a beautiful corpse.

Krispy Wafer posted:

Do you like board games? It’s a pretty nice platform for those. If you like comics there are good apps for that, although now that I get most comic books from Amazon I just use the default Kindle app.

Any kind of media consumption is awesome on the Pro, so your Amazon Primes, HBO Gos, Hulu’s, etc.

Truth be told my main reason for getting it was to watch media on the treadmill :tbear: but I think I may give News+ another go since this giant screen seems made for consuming digital magazines/media.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Purr Objectives posted:

Not even joking, the Something Awful app.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Duckman2008 posted:

:same:

The thread for that if you're interested

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Duckman2008 posted:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The app truly is something awful.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Duckman2008 posted:

Definitely. It's an app that can be taken orally or anally.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
I was asked to participate in a pilot program that involves iPads and such and I have literally no experience with these things so I apologise in advance.

I was given an iPad air with some peripherals such as the apple pencil and I don't have much use for it other than as a note system, but the notes program seems to erase the last line/selected line instead of location. I general write in a cursive script so this is an issue for me. Is there some way to alter the functionality of that? The erase selection doesn't have a pop over menu like the various drawing options that I see.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Synnr posted:

I was asked to participate in a pilot program that involves iPads and such and I have literally no experience with these things so I apologise in advance.

I was given an iPad air with some peripherals such as the apple pencil and I don't have much use for it other than as a note system, but the notes program seems to erase the last line/selected line instead of location. I general write in a cursive script so this is an issue for me. Is there some way to alter the functionality of that? The erase selection doesn't have a pop over menu like the various drawing options that I see.

Note entirely sure what this line means.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah I’m kinda confused as well.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Thirded.

There are also other apps, many free, but not sure how the Notes app compares/works with handwriting as I don’t really use it on my iPad.

Also op should wait for the new OS update to drop in ~3 days. Isn’t there a major overhaul of Notes with particular attention paid to Pencil along with everything else?

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

LODGE NORTH posted:

Note entirely sure what this line means.

I think he means how the eraser in Notes will erase an entire linked line instead of just where you touch. Don't remember if this is in 12, but on the iOS13 beta you can switch the eraser from "object" to "Pixel" and then it will only erase specifically where you touch with it.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

CaptainCaveman posted:

I think he means how the eraser in Notes will erase an entire linked line instead of just where you touch. Don't remember if this is in 12, but on the iOS13 beta you can switch the eraser from "object" to "Pixel" and then it will only erase specifically where you touch with it.

Yeah sorry this is what I was talking about. And since a whole cursive script word is one line, it just chunks out the word/words. I don't know if I can opt into a beta, given the University IT likely locked it to a point, but how would one do that if not?

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007

Synnr posted:

Yeah sorry this is what I was talking about. And since a whole cursive script word is one line, it just chunks out the word/words. I don't know if I can opt into a beta, given the University IT likely locked it to a point, but how would one do that if not?

Well, you should be in luck; ideally if there’s no major problems with university IT / apps for the uni and iOS 13 they should be updating all the iPads fairly soon. Beta testing is nearly complete on iOS 13.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Synnr posted:

I’d wait until Sept 10 when iOS 13/iPad OS will most likely be released. Beta for 13.1’s been out for a bit so I imagine 13.0 goes live as soon as the iPhone event ends and not when the new phones actually ship.

Also if you use MS office I’d go ahead and download all of those (they’re free). I use the OneNote app quite a bit myself.

Uncle Ivan
Aug 31, 2001
Any recent word on whether the Pro updates are expected before the end of the year, or no one has any idea?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Uncle Ivan posted:

Any recent word on whether the Pro updates are expected before the end of the year, or no one has any idea?

No one ever has any true idea unless the right combination of leaks/etc happen. It’s highly probable that the pros get updated at the iPad/watch/Mac event that will likely happen in October or November based on apple’s past actions, but also Apple loves to blow or ignore its timing conventions wrt updates and releases all the time. Some iPads/etc have released in the fall. Others in the spring. Sometimes the lineup gets split up and different models get updates at different times in the same year. Sometimes Apple decides to skip a year or five on updating a product. You really can’t tell until it’s announced.

Smilin Joe Fission
Jan 24, 2007
Now that my 2013 iPad Air has gotten its final update with 12.4 (it's not getting iPad OS), what should I do with it? Jailbreak it? Are there any cool emulators for jailbroken iPads of that vintage that would let me do some retro gaming?

Use it as a media playback device and just keep it with 12.4? It's wifi-only, but with 128 GB of storage it's not a bad "watching movies on the train" device at all. For security reasons I'd probably avoid doing any online shopping or email or anything like that, and just connect it to wifi whenever I needed to grab a bunch of new downloads for YouTube Premium or Amazon Prime video.

I've already got a 2018 12.9 Pro and 2019 Mini, so I don't really need another plain vanilla iOS device, especially given its slowness and being stuck on 12.4. Any recommendations?

Smilin Joe Fission fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Sep 8, 2019

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Smilin Joe Fission posted:

Now that my 2013 iPad Air has gotten its final update with 12.4 (it's not getting iPad OS), what should I do with it? Jailbreak it? Are there any cool emulators for jailbroken iPads of that vintage that would let me do some retro gaming?

Use it as a media playback device and just keep it with 12.4? It's wifi-only, but with 128 GB of storage it's not a bad "watching movies on the train" device at all. For security reasons I'd probably avoid doing any online shopping or email or anything like that, and just connect it to wifi whenever I needed to grab a bunch of new downloads for YouTube Premium or Amazon Prime video.

I've already got a 2018 12.9 Pro and 2019 Mini, so I don't really need another plain vanilla iOS device, especially given its slowness and being stuck on 12.4. Any recommendations?

Sell it and buy accessories for your Pro with the money

Smilin Joe Fission
Jan 24, 2007

Purr Objectives posted:

Truth be told my main reason for getting it was to watch media on the treadmill :tbear: but I think I may give News+ another go since this giant screen seems made for consuming digital magazines/media.

If you're going to be using it while running on the treadmill, my recommendation would be to get yourself a Bluetooth mouse for iPad OS. Of course, this is assuming your treadmill setup allows enough room for some sort of flat surface (or place to attach one) to use the mouse on. That's going to be much easier than using the touchscreen with the motion of jogging and sweaty hands.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

LODGE NORTH posted:

Sell it and buy accessories for your Pro with the money

I hope we get updated pros this year.

Smilin Joe Fission
Jan 24, 2007

Rolo posted:

I hope we get updated pros this year.

Having just picked up my 12.9" 2018 Pro a few months back during a sale at Best Buy, I had sort of made the calculation that I thought they'd wait until at least spring of 2020 to release a new version of the Pro, at least for the 11" and 12.9" form factors. Ah well, such is life in the tech industry I suppose. That might have been naive optimism on my part, hoping I could have the flagship model for more than a few months.

It's not like it's going to be a huge step forward like going from the 2017 Pro to the 2018 Pro at least, so I'm not missing out on that much, I guess.

Smilin Joe Fission fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Sep 8, 2019

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Do you make music? I’d load it up with apps and vsts/etc and keep it plugged into my mixer/keyboard/etc.

Or turn it into a kiosk/music and news station/etc.

Smilin Joe Fission
Jan 24, 2007

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Do you make music? I’d load it up with apps and vsts/etc and keep it plugged into my mixer/keyboard/etc.

Or turn it into a kiosk/music and news station/etc.

Those are both good ideas. I've been experimenting a bit with a few basic looping apps like Koala and casually making some music. The 2013 Air at 9.7" is still more often than not the most conveniently sized iOS device that I own for a lot of uses. There are a lot of situations where the Mini is just too cramped, and the 12.9 Pro is just too big and bulky.

I was thinking of just semi-permanently parking it on the bar/kitchen island thing I have in the middle of my biggest room as a kiosk/juke box/radio and podcast control station. I use Apple Music and Podcasts app a lot, so it would be cool for that. Am I exposing myself to security risks though, since it's stuck on 12.4 and this would require keeping it connected to wifi most of the time? I'm not worried about the data on the iPad Air itself. My concern is that it could serve as a doorway to the rest of my network (as well as my iCloud account), despite everything else running more modern and secure OS's.

Smilin Joe Fission fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Sep 8, 2019

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Am I exposing myself to security risks though, since it's stuck on 12.4 and this would require keeping it connected to wifi most of the time? I'm not worried about the data on the iPad Air itself. My concern is that it could serve as a doorway to the rest of my network (as well as my iCloud account), despite everything else running more modern and secure OS's.

No. And if some vulnerability gets found, it’ll still get patched for a long time yet.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I jailbroke an iPad Air 2 on iOS 12.4 last week just to see what you could do with jailbroken iPads these days. It's a dismal, wasteland of incompatible junkware for iOS 10+. Don't waste your time. Even the emulator scene is very sad and incompatible with 12.4.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Synnr posted:

I would recommend using a more full featured app like Microsoft OneNote if your uni uses Office 365 it ties in with other stuff but it’s still free of note.

If you use google apps there’s probably an app that ties in with that.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

tuyop posted:

No. And if some vulnerability gets found, it’ll still get patched for a long time yet.

iOS 13 drops support for his iPad so I probably wouldn’t bet on that.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

MrBond posted:

iOS 13 drops support for his iPad so I probably wouldn’t bet on that.

Apple still pushes security updates for older OSs.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

apple does patch major vulnerabilities in old ios versions. they last patched ios 9 and ios 10 in july 2019

e: BEATEN

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Last Chance posted:

apple does patch major vulnerabilities in old ios versions. they last patched ios 9 and ios 10 in july 2019

e: BEATEN

Those are more of an aberration than par for the course. I think those had a fix for GPS rollover and didn’t come out for non-gps devices. They also don’t have any security updates in them.

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker
Looks like iPadOS isn't coming out until September 30th

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
So the cheapest iPad is now better than the first gen 2016 iPad Pro (A9x versus A10 - no idea of RAM yet) with all the same ports and capabilities. Screen and speakers are still better on the old Pro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Krispy Wafer posted:

So the cheapest iPad is now better than the first gen 2016 iPad Pro (A9x versus A10 - no idea of RAM yet) with all the same ports and capabilities. Screen and speakers are still better on the old Pro.

My Air 2 is still going strong. :woop: