Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Goddammit i just realized she consented is literally cop for she was asking for it look at what she was wearing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Remember that from 1972 until 2014, it was legal for undercover police in Hawaii to have sex with prostitutes provided it was part of an investigation. I'm sure that was never abused, no way.

Stravag posted:

Goddammit i just realized she consented is literally cop for she was asking for it look at what she was wearing

It's more that coerced sex is, by definition, non consensual. So unless you believe she was ready and willing while handcuffed in the back of a police van....

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Shooting Blanks posted:

Remember that from 1972 until 2014, it was legal for undercover police in Hawaii to have sex with prostitutes provided it was part of an investigation. I'm sure that was never abused, no way.

It's more that coerced sex is, by definition, non consensual. So unless you believe she was ready and willing while handcuffed in the back of a police van....

I really don't. And i have this bad feeling this one's deal is gonna get trotted out like it's an injustice against "are heroes" just like the Eric Garner one has been by the union

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

The loving judge in that case basically hemmed and hawwed over the victim "not being credible" and said that there was misconduct on her part due to "offering a bribe" aka being raped.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Why is there still no real unified policing agency in most states? In most nations, the police fall under some sort of centralized policing. Iraq, a nation that most people would not qualify as successful, has centralized policing. Even the loving Pope has his own goddamn police force.

And I think this underlies some of the problems with policing in America - nobody is accountable to a higher authority than the local government or in some cases, the state. And in terms of resources, this also explains why places like Mariposa County, CA, has a huge goddamn sheriff's department and Del Norte County,CA, has to ship their regular offenders off to Redding. When you don't have an equal allocation of resources, some places are going to have a ludicrous amount of money poured into policing while others will barely have any. Additionally, this also leads to a confusing overlap of agency responsibility - if I call 911 and ask for police to show up at my place right now, I might get Sherriffs, city PD, CHP or hell, all three. The fact that I can get three different PDs, each drawing out of a different pool of taxpayer money, to show up to do the exact same thing at one location is itself a waste of taxpayer money.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

A White Guy posted:

Why is there still no real unified policing agency in most states?

This goes back to the origin of police powers and federalism in general. The constitution does not grant police powers to the federal government except over areas of federal jurisdiction. Policing is otherwise left to the states. The criminal code is borne out of the English Common Law (except in Louisiana), and in many places common law crimes are still prosecuted.

So you have over 50 police jurisdictions many of which originated a couple hundred years ago. The structure of each state's policing has some similarities because of the common source. Inside each of these states, they have a basic structure and various levels of local control.

There have been attempts to standardize things, such as model penal codes, but the US is still basically 50 independent entities when it comes to policing.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Yea, blame the founding fathers for that bullshit.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Along with most problems in the US today.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Grem posted:

Along with most problems in the US today.

England is thataway, pal.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Grem posted:

Yea, blame the founding fathers for that bullshit.

Ben Franklin was cool tho

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Can of worms but I just found out how racist been Franklin really was.

Bury your heroes.

This kind of poo poo is baked into our politics and we must denounce bigotry in all its forms throughout our history, so that we can acknowledge the cost in human suffering our country came at, and attempt to make this right for the generations that follow.

Don't @ me with your defense of slavery and racism throughout history white people. You benefited from it tacitly.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Sep 4, 2019

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Wasabi the J posted:

Bury your heroes.

This kind of poo poo is baked into our politics and we must denounce bigotry in all its forms throughout our history, so that we can acknowledge the cost in human suffering our country came at, and attempt to make this right for the generations that follow.

Don't @ me with your defense of slavery and racism throughout history white people. You benefited from it tacitly.

Ghandi was a racist too. gently caress that piece of poo poo.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Wasabi the J posted:

Bury your heroes.

drat a dude that owned slaves was racist!?!?!?! Who woulda thunk?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

In something that will surprise no one, judges are criminals too https://www.wxyz.com/news/region/macomb-county/grieving-dad-jailed-for-repeatedly-criticizing-court-system-in-macomb-county

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

This goes back to the origin of police powers and federalism in general. The constitution does not grant police powers to the federal government except over areas of federal jurisdiction. Policing is otherwise left to the states. The criminal code is borne out of the English Common Law (except in Louisiana), and in many places common law crimes are still prosecuted.

So you have over 50 police jurisdictions many of which originated a couple hundred years ago. The structure of each state's policing has some similarities because of the common source. Inside each of these states, they have a basic structure and various levels of local control.

There have been attempts to standardize things, such as model penal codes, but the US is still basically 50 independent entities when it comes to policing.

The problem isn't that its 50 independent entities, the problem is that according to two seconds in google there are 18k police departments and 3k sheriff departments, so about 20k different semi independent entities with extremely little oversight by 50 different independent entities.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Yep. Sheriffs alone, there are 99 individual departments in my state. That's not counting, say, the eight suburbs/exurbs in one county each with their own department for cities.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
That's because the states delegate the police powers to the local level, further complicating things. Federalism is really dumb in certain situations. Sure it makes sense to have home rule for a lot of things. Policing is not one.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Wasabi the J posted:

Bury your heroes.

Ah gently caress real life sucks.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

That's because the states delegate the police powers to the local level, further complicating things. Federalism is really dumb in certain situations. Sure it makes sense to have home rule for a lot of things. Policing is not one.

It gets real interesting when you have those "the highest governmental authority i acknowledge is the sheriff" people refusing to have any kind of common standards

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Chichevache posted:

Ghandi was a racist too. gently caress that piece of poo poo.

You missed the point. Don't elevate your historical figures to mythical status and overlook their faults too long to remember they were only human.

And that the effects of racism are long lasting and generational.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Ghandi though was ultimately just a piece of poo poo who co-opted anti colonialism in order to advance Hindu nationalist ideas. MLK for example on the other hand despite being a lovely person in his personal life still drove a noble cause and actually managed to at least push the US to enforce a degree of nominal legal equality.

A lot of people who did great things were lovely people day to day but I think we can still separate what they stood for and accomplished from the flesh and blood. But yeah it’s important to remember that they’re far from perfect. But in a way, it’s kinda empowering to know that despite MLK being a flawed guy he still did great things.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

A lot of people who did great things were lovely people day to day but I think we can still separate what they stood for and accomplished from the flesh and blood. But yeah it’s important to remember that they’re far from perfect.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Recalling that my idols are flawed makes me feel better about my own flaws.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

hot sorcery posted:

Very nuanced reply

Thank you for the reply!

All those ideas like ending cash bail, oversight boards, scrapping private prisons, etc, are long overdue. I wish I could be optimistic that they'll happen in the US anytime soon, but the current federal government makes optimism difficult. At the very least, state and local government within the US has the authority to do most of that. As a New Yorker, I can at least be cautiously optimistic that we can browbeat city, county, and maybe even state representatives into busting up our lovely incarceration system and turn it into something resembling justice.

Stravag posted:

It gets real interesting when you have those "the highest governmental authority i acknowledge is the sheriff" people refusing to have any kind of common standards

We had a good few of those types where I worked. We also had a sheriff's office, so on a couple occasions, we had deputies (and even the actual sheriff) turn up as backup when we pulled over a sovcit. You'll never guess how differently the exchange was when the sheriff got there!

They just shifted gears to other voodoo fake law to explain why they didn't need license plates

And, finally. I posted vaguely about this a while back, but as an aside. Also I was drunk. Now I don't post when I'm drunk. Or drink as much. This will be much more coherent.

Today marks two years since one of my partners committed suicide. He was a real good guy. Easygoing, friendly, never raised his voice in anger.

My very first day riding with him, when we were still getting a feel for each other and figuring out if we'd get along, we responded to a breaking & entering call. It was an abandoned house, and a vagrant had jimmied a window to spend the night. The drifter had been trying to walk across the state to go live with his sister.

The house belonged to someone, so it was technically a crime, but this guy was harmless. We didn't want to arrest him. Putting him behind bars wouldn't be doing society any favors. Really, we just wanted to keep him from breaking into other houses.

My partner had a better idea. We took him across town to get a real meal, then he and I split the bus fare so the vagrant could get to his sister, and gave him some snacks for the road. Not by any means a perfect solution. I have no idea what happened to the guy after we left him at the bus station, but I hope he got back to his family okay.

Set the tone of riding together. Lot of good people in that department. Lot of people who only enforced "real" crime, and looked the other way for victimless stuff like smoking pot. He was the only one who would give the figurative clothes off his back (or the literal food in his trunk) to the people of his district to keep them out of trouble.

No signs. No changes in behavior. No known money issues beyond working for a dirt poor dept like every other cop in the city. Based on some evidence he left behind, we can make a real good guess why he did it. The job wore him down. He'd responded to more murders than any other cop in the city - a record he might still hold posthumously. I only worked three of those, and they'll stick with me forever. His district was the most violent in the city, so he pretty regularly dealt with abuse cases, overdose deaths, etc. Maybe there's only so much of that a person can take. The last time he and I worked a call together, it was for an adult and son who were shot. Father made it, son died in the hospital of a .45 lobotomy. Pretty sure that was the last straw.

I wish I could have helped him.

I know there are still a few copgoons who frequent this thread. The military gives service members access to a whole host of mental health resources, many of which are anonymous. Small PDs often don't. Please, look out for each other.

RIP Officer 3765. I think of you every day.
E.O.W.: September 6, 2017

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Sorry to hear about your friend, Arc Light.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Brief glimpse into how different mass shooters got their weapons

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Is Donut Operator a respectable guy? I think I remember him on Youtube vaguely defending the officer who shot Daniel Shaver but seeing Donut pop up all over Youtube lately it makes me wonder if I'm remembering wrong.

Who Is Paul Blart
Oct 22, 2010

Who Is Paul Blart fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Sep 8, 2019

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/nezumi_ningen/status/1170165259690291200?s=19

This looks like some seriously gross poo poo right here.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

:stare: This is like straight out of Goebbel's propaganda arm.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

https://www.pajiba.com/film_reviews/im-sure-its-no-coincidence-that-cuck-will-be-released-on-the-same-day-as-joker.php posted:

But what does it say about 2019 that a major studio, in Warner Brothers, and an indie company, in Gravitas Ventures, are both releasing on the same day similarly themed movies about aggrieved white men who resort to violence when the world does not provide them with the appreciation they think they deserve? Both movies are described as “cautionary tales,” which is to say: They warn viewers about the dangers of men like Arthur Fleck and “Ronnie,” but a “warning” presupposes we can do something about that danger. Aside from massive gun control and mandatory mental health screenings, how do you stop a guy like Arthur Fleck, except to give them what they want, which veers into Jordan Peterson “enforced monogamy” territory. You don’t want men like Arthur Fleck or Ronnie to resort to mass violence? Then f*ck them, stop calling them out on their white privilege, and tell them they are the geniuses they think they are.

I’m all for exploring the “human condition,” but what kind of cautionary tale is that? One that demands we appease aggrieved white men lest they turn into the Joker? Seems like a pretty sh*tty message in 2019. But I’m sure that Joaquin Phoenix is grea

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
https://twitter.com/RookieCityCop/status/1171113586552377344

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I pull the lever

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

EBB posted:

I pull the lever

Same, with explicitly no knowledge of the wider scenario. Action is always better than inaction

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Hell with how likely they are to shoot a barking dog they may have just been fishing to shoot something.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Interesting video here from a former police trainer about the terrible misapplication of police tactics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmjB7TUroyE

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

PinheadSlim posted:

Is Donut Operator a respectable guy? I think I remember him on Youtube vaguely defending the officer who shot Daniel Shaver but seeing Donut pop up all over Youtube lately it makes me wonder if I'm remembering wrong.

He’s a bootlicker, I used to follow him after I saw some unrelated to politics video but immediately started seeing lovely blue lives matter trash and noped out. He might hide it more nowadays but he’s probably a chud.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

He’s a bootlicker, I used to follow him after I saw some unrelated to politics video but immediately started seeing lovely blue lives matter trash and noped out. He might hide it more nowadays but he’s probably a chud.

I spent some time trying to find out for myself, and yeah he's still a bootlicker. It's frustrating to see someone who claims to be the "honest, objective, good guy" when the only bad actors he calls out are civilians.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

PinheadSlim posted:

I spent some time trying to find out for myself, and yeah he's still a bootlicker. It's frustrating to see someone who claims to be the "honest, objective, good guy" when the only bad actors he calls out are civilians.

Funny enough I ran into him on Reddit years ago where he mentioned something like he “learned a lot in SEAL training” not technically lying but obviously trying to be coy. When users from a small subreddit that’s a few team guys and a bunch of wannabes linked it they pressed him and turns out he eventually effectively admitted he just DOR’ed in BO or phase (like me!) but didn’t wanna own up to it and wanted people to think he was some kind secret squirrel without technically lying.

Trust me, you don’t learn a lot of tactical knowledge during 1st phase besides that having skin on your hands, rear end and where your belt rests is preferable, water is cold and boats don’t belong on heads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

i was waiting at the lights, a guy blew through a red nearly smashing into a turning car

moments later the cop at the other set of lights flicked his sirens on and went after him at high speed

o7