Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of different unis this weekend:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Can someone explain why USC and UCLA are shells of their former programs? ELI5 because I feally haven't been paying attention

In addition to bad coaching hires, USC got seriously hosed over by the Reggie Bush sanctions.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Bird in a Blender posted:

I seriously don't understand why more coaches aren't like this. It's a different mindset I guess, but I would not want to be working still if I was Nick Saban's age, and he definitely doesn't need the money.

massive egocentrism

Henchman of Santa posted:

Isn't he also in Epstein's flight logs?

yep

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Can someone explain why USC and UCLA are shells of their former programs? ELI5 because I feally haven't been paying attention

USC - sanctions and unsuccessful coaches. One good hire away from success.

UCLA - basketball school and unsuccessful coaches. I don't know about their football facilities but I bet they lag behind their peers in the PAC12.

I mean, just look at LSU and Clemson. They are spending an absolute fortune on their coordinators/facilities. So even the top-tier programs have to shell out for the best coaches to win big.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

C2C - 2.0 posted:

LSU has finally mastered telekinesis. Bodes poorly for Alabama

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Henchman of Santa posted:

Isn't he also in Epstein's flight logs?

He’s been studying people who have spent a lifetime 10,000 hrs plus molesting children

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
What is ELI5

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Explain like I’m 5, I think

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Ejaculating like it matters

Edit: matters doesn’t start with a 5 I guess

General Dog fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Sep 11, 2019

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
USC fell into the same trap it had during the pre-Carroll downswing, it got way too caught up in getting a USC Guy and unnecessarily limited the pool it could hire from.

I'm still not all that big of a Helton fan but he did at least make some effort to fix things by changing up the offensive scheme from the outdated west coast poo poo they had been doing

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

MourningView posted:

USC fell into the same trap it had during the pre-Carroll downswing, it got way too caught up in getting a USC Guy and unnecessarily limited the pool it could hire from.

Really USC? Who would do that??

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Carroll was also a really lucky hire. He was viewed primarily as a failed NFL coach and was like their sixth choice. Most people hated it at the time.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

MourningView posted:

I'm still not all that big of a Helton fan but he did at least make some effort to fix things by changing up the offensive scheme from the outdated west coast poo poo they had been doing

I was surprised to see that Graham Harrell was their OC and even more surprised when I realized it was THAT Graham Harrell because I was certain he was still bouncing around the NFL

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
In a surprising twist, NCAA clears Xavier Peters to play this year (2 games into the season). Good timing though, needed some good news after the Terry Wilson injury.

Glasses Optional
Apr 23, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

MourningView posted:

Noted Iowa State Alum!

Jastiger?

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
B U F F S

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

What the gently caress. :stare:

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Play posted:

massive egocentrism

I really believe Bryant up and dying, like, immediately after retiring is a shadow in the back of all their minds

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Gladwells books loving sucked and was the most pompous new age bullshit I've ever read

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
I went to an SEC school so I dont know how to read

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Is he saying the kids hosed themselves, or

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

“In reality, those children were simply exposed to greatness, as Sandusky had spent more than 10,000 hours molesting children”

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

What a pussy rear end bitch

C2C - 2.0 posted:

These are tight as gently caress.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I lost all respect for Herman when it came out that he basically tried to guilt Jeffery Okudah into picking Texas by saying he should really be closer to his mom while she fights cancer

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

sportsgenius86 posted:

I lost all respect for Herman when it came out that he basically tried to guilt Jeffery Okudah into picking Texas by saying he should really be closer to his mom while she fights cancer

:staredog:

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

mactheknife posted:

that haircut is what's really irresponsible amiright

It may be wrong to judge based on looks, but that is a genuinely bizarre countenance.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

sportsgenius86 posted:

herman’s a weiner but i doubt he’s the only coach who would try and swing that

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Declan MacManus posted:

Harbaugh: "Before you make your decision, let's sleep on it."

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

LLCoolJD posted:

USC - sanctions and unsuccessful coaches. One good hire away from success.

UCLA - basketball school and unsuccessful coaches. I don't know about their football facilities but I bet they lag behind their peers in the PAC12.

I mean, just look at LSU and Clemson. They are spending an absolute fortune on their coordinators/facilities. So even the top-tier programs have to shell out for the best coaches to win big.

One of my favorite trolls on UCLA basketball fans is to call them a football school, because their basketball program has some really serious problems too, but the truth is they stem from the same problems that ultimately plague football. There just has always been a de-emphasis, dislike or disinterest of the athletic departments amongst a lot of UCLA's upper brass for a long time (which, maybe one could argue for a theoretically public school is how it should be). The willingness to get in the arms race with the rest of the NCAA just isn't there. They have a huge natural advantage which continues to keep them afloat in basketball but clearly Chip Kelly has managed to prove you have to do at least SOMETHING to bring people in for football.

Things aren't honestly that bad for USC. Last year didn't work out but they've pretty consistently been a 3 loss program for most of the time basically after the first year of sanctions.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Komet posted:

Somewhat off-topic, but there's a recent investigative article about the giant scam Liberty University is. I knew it was academically a joke, but it's also a front for real estate purchases and giving loans to Falwell's friends. https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2019/09/09/jerry-falwell-liberty-university-loans-227914

Do you think Jerry had a student gently caress his wife on the Hugh Freeze hospital bed?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

AsInHowe posted:

Do you think Jerry had a student gently caress his wife on the Hugh Freeze hospital bed?

Or he pulled it up next to a swimming pool and had his own fun.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I don't get this whole.... Why were they hyping up the dentist chair? Seems like coaches with medical issues coach from the box all the time. Why do I care what he's sitting on?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Declan MacManus posted:

I think you're wrong tbh

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Sash! posted:

I don't get this whole.... Why were they hyping up the dentist chair? Seems like coaches with medical issues coach from the box all the time. Why do I care what he's sitting on?

Has there ever been one to coach from a hospital bed?

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Sash! posted:

It shows GRIT and an INDOMITABLE SPIRIT.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

vyst posted:

I think you're wrong tbh

I mean maybe not the only one I guess but the list definitely isn't long enough that it should just be shrugged off as no big deal. Also lots of other people being scummy assholes does not actually make being a scummy rear end in a top hat okay.

Sash! posted:

Norm Parker coordinated a top 10 defense without a dang foot, Hugh has gotta step his game up if he wants me to be impressed.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Sep 11, 2019

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

C2C - 2.0 posted:

i loving love these but wish they'd been pulled out of the box for a game with a little more importance than Northwestern State

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

mactheknife posted:

i loving love these but wish they'd been pulled out of the box for a game with a little more importance than Northwestern State

Gotta make sure they're not bad luck on a small stage first :tinfoil:

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

Scarf posted:

Gotta make sure they're not bad luck on a small stage first :tinfoil:

we've worn them before!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Rick posted:

One of my favorite trolls on UCLA basketball fans is to call them a football school, because their basketball program has some really serious problems too, but the truth is they stem from the same problems that ultimately plague football. There just has always been a de-emphasis, dislike or disinterest of the athletic departments amongst a lot of UCLA's upper brass for a long time (which, maybe one could argue for a theoretically public school is how it should be). The willingness to get in the arms race with the rest of the NCAA just isn't there. They have a huge natural advantage which continues to keep them afloat in basketball but clearly Chip Kelly has managed to prove you have to do at least SOMETHING to bring people in for football.

Things aren't honestly that bad for USC. Last year didn't work out but they've pretty consistently been a 3 loss program for most of the time basically after the first year of sanctions.

Let's see what happens once California passes that bill requiring college players to be compensated for their names and likenesses. That would certainly shake up the equation