Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gaunab posted:

Young people being in poly relationships is waaaaay overstated.

Absolutely, but we (I should say "they," I'm old enough that I probably don't count as young anymore) all no someone who won't shut the gently caress up about it. At least that was my experience in my twenties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

peter parker being in a poly relationship is very fitting though because there's absolutely zero way for it to end well for any party involved

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

You could say it'd end in a tangled web of lies and drama.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Alaois posted:

peter parker being in a poly relationship is very fitting though because there's absolutely zero way for it to end well for any party involved

Eddie, flash, and Peter in

"sharing the symbiote"

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Pretty sure most poly relationships go:

guy wants to bang other chicks
talks his girlfriend into it
she ends up loving a whole bunch of other guys
he can't get another date
he ends up miserable because his girlfriend has found someone better
either he stays in a "relationship" where he's constantly cucked, or she leaves him

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The one poly couple I've known were both gross and there's zero chance either of them were loving anyone else.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I don't know if the scenario you're describing, as prevalent as it is in jokes and stuff, is based off anything real, but anecdotally 80% of the poly people I know (and I work in the humanities and the arts so I know a lot) are queer, and more or less cordially arranged although I'd never have the energy for that kind of lifestyle myself.

I think the kinds of people who are drawn to it and the reasons have changed a lot in the past decade or so. In my experience its generally most appealing to people who are busy and for one reason or another uninterested in or foreclosed from the fantasy of the nuclear family with the monogamous couple at its core.

Edit: And for goodness' sake, don't say "cucked" in 2019

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Sep 11, 2019

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I know a fair few poly people at this point, and most of the time, when they talk about their relationships, it sounds like the first thing you'd need is really crackerjack time management skills.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Wanderer posted:

I know a fair few poly people at this point, and most of the time, when they talk about their relationships, it sounds like the first thing you'd need is really crackerjack time management skills.

Yeah it seems very hectic. The people I know for whom it really truly seems to be working are definitely Type A folks, but then again in a lot of cases the line between "living a poly lifestyle" and "casually dating with the terrifying intensity and precision of an expensive German kitchen device, within a small pool of people" seems pretty thin.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Sinteres posted:

I don't blame Marvel for unmarrying them, and totally get why they wanted to/see how it opens up other stories to tell, but I'll always think it's insane how exactly they chose to go about doing it. Sins Past is by far the worse arc though, even if it was easier to pretend it never happened after the fact.

And they totally did nothing of value with his being single. It contributed nothing. Completely worthless decision cause a bunch of old writers and Joey Q wanted to live vicariously through Parker or some poo poo.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Just have peter be loving some girl who the only time he sees is when one texts the other "you up?"

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I'm reading truth - red, white, and black and I'm almost certain this book would never get made in 2019

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Does anyone remember what issue had that hilarious page of peter and black cat on a roof, and peter has his full costume on above the belt?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Codependent Poster posted:

Pretty sure most poly relationships go:

guy wants to bang other chicks
talks his girlfriend into it
she ends up loving a whole bunch of other guys
he can't get another date
he ends up miserable because his girlfriend has found someone better
either he stays in a "relationship" where he's constantly cucked, or she leaves him

That's certainly how it seems to work for Internet Famous People.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Well, looks like Spencer's Spider-Man is going places. looks like all the OMD chat was serendipitous.

Black Cat continues to be amazing.

Cpatian Marvel, likewise.

Ditto Miles.

And I'm might be alone in this, but I liked Gwenpool strikes Back. Wade getting weirdly protective of Spider-Manhis special boy was funny and a nice nod to Spider-Man/Deadpool.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Sep 11, 2019

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

oh god oh gently caress I didn’t realize all-Black the necrosword was related to Knull. Why does the entire marvel universe always tie in to Carnage crossover events?

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Vulpes, are you going to delve into the ramifications of Felicia being a crime lord or are you just going to memory hole it? Sorry about asking but I don't get the chance to ask writers about stuff.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
yeaaaaaah, im done with gwenpool

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Billzasilver posted:

oh god oh gently caress I didn’t realize all-Black the necrosword was related to Knull. Why does the entire marvel universe always tie in to Carnage crossover events?

I think they only revealed that in Venom, so if you hadn't been following that series, you could easily be forgiven for missing it.

Bazooka Tooth
Nov 18, 2004
Rockin it, rockin it, clippership rockin it be the little guinea pig dig?

site posted:

I hate everything about this.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"

Gaunab posted:

Vulpes, are you going to delve into the ramifications of Felicia being a crime lord or are you just going to memory hole it? Sorry about asking but I don't get the chance to ask writers about stuff.

It's not really a priority for me at this point- I wanted to start the series relatively fresh rather than get too beholden to previous events.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

site posted:

NWS:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

It's not really a priority for me at this point- I wanted to start the series relatively fresh rather than get too beholden to previous events.

I love Black Cat, but why are superhero paparazzi called "Cape chasers"? Aside from Thor twenty years ago none of the popular (both in universe and in the real world) heroes wear capes.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Bazooka Tooth posted:

I hate everything about this.
Yes, that is all just a bit too much. However, the punchline to the joke wasn't terrible. Namely, that while technically Gwen is legal, there's a huge age difference between Gwen and Wade, and is preemptively calling out any Marvel writer who tries to hook them up

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
king thor: guess its time to put god of thunder back on the reading list

e:

howe_sam posted:

While yes, that is all just a bit too much, the punchline to the joke wasn't terrible. Namely, that while yes, technically Gwen is legal, there's a huge age difference between Gwen and Wade, and is preemptively calling out any Marvel writer who tries to hook them up

its the fact that leah dedicated a page to making sure readers know shes legal and okay to fap to that bothers me

site fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Sep 11, 2019

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Skwirl posted:

I love Black Cat, but why are superhero paparazzi called "Cape chasers"? Aside from Thor twenty years ago none of the popular (both in universe and in the real world) heroes wear capes.

Really, I liked the sound of it and didn't think too hard about it . But slightly more in-depth, I think capes are an integral part of the common superhero stereotype- look at generic clip art of superheros, nine times out of ten, they'll be wearing a cape.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Really, I liked the sound of it and didn't think too hard about it . But slightly more in-depth, I think capes are an integral part of the common superhero stereotype- look at generic clip art of superheros, nine times out of ten, they'll be wearing a cape.

Yeah, I mean we had 'cape-killers' as far back as Civil War in 2006.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

I should have said "Marvel superheroes" instead of just superheroes.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Yeah, I mean we had 'cape-killers' as far back as Civil War in 2006.

And that loving bugged me too, especially since Thor was dead at the start of Civil War.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

site posted:

Yikes.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

That's a good point, but beyond Thor there's also been the Sentry, Scarlet Witch, Dr. Strange, Vision, Blue Marvel (who I think was written to be a big deal back in the day), Quasar, Moon Knight, Nomad (ell oh ell), Hyperion, etc, with more capes yet if you're looking at the villain side too and regard the "cape-_____" thing to mean associated with the super-power set as a whole.

But at the end of the day, I think it just sounds neat, which is why people keep using it.

(and Adam Warlock, but he's not really an Earth-famous dude. Or old Drax, come to think of it)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Why even a certain monarch wears a cape!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
no those are wings, they just drape down

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Marvel expanding their Conan line and adding other Robert E. Howard characters.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/marvel-expand-relationship-conan-owners-1239014

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Skwirl posted:

No-prize explanation: DC Comics is publishing in Marvel, and so most people are aware of characters like Batman and Superman, even if they "know" the real superheroes are the Avengers, led by Captain America and History's Greatest Monster, Tony Stark.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I think it's been repeatedly established (until it isn't for some plot contrivance) that DC Comics exist in the Marvel Universe, and plenty of normal non-winky-fourth-wall-breaking/cosmically aware characters have made references to Superman, Batman, etc. in Marvel Comics. Both of those characters have capes, and a ton of (real within the Marvel Universe) Golden Age superheroes who fought in WWII had capes -- both actual Golden Age characters like Angel, Vision, Miss America, and also injected-into-continuity characters like Citizen V, Blue Marvel, etc.

It's weird, but it makes some sort of sense. It makes a lot less sense when you think about it further and realize that most of the current Avengers shouldn't have been born when the team first ran into people dressed up as the Justice League at Rutland Halloween Parade in the comics, Peter Parker technically wasn't born yet when he and Aunt May went to go see Superman: The Movie in theaters, he *might* have been a toddler when the Tim Burton Batman movie came out (despite making quips about it in comics), etc. etc. etc.

It's also increasingly weird and kind of an elephant in the room how in the Marvel Universe there were a shitload of superheroes running around in public from like 1939-1945 and then nothing for sixty-odd years, and then everyone ever cropping up between 2005 and now.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Did not expect Miles Morales to be revealed on the last page as the villain in the new Miles Morales issue. That was a solid move.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

X-O posted:

Did not expect Miles Morales to be revealed on the last page as the villain in the new Miles Morales issue. That was a solid move.

It was solid but it reintroduced the question of "Wait, so who exactly remembers Secret Wars?" Because I thought Miles did but now I guess he's getting flashbacks because he didn't remember Ultimate Marvel until now?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
okay vulpes, 1)

lol

2) that was a good climax, had me hooked for the next issue

okay also 3) felicia knows you dont gently caress with sue storm

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I just read Black Cat and yeah, that whole conversation was great. I like how, unlike the covers, Black Cat isn't a cheesecake character in the book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Also, if you're not reading Daredevil, that's a mistake. The throughline of the run is how heroes react to the consequences of their actions and it's top tier Zdarsky.