Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

ufarn posted:

My last phone broke so I have to buy one of these godforsaken iPhones. Can anyone speak to the difference the phones’ LCD vs OLED displays? I’m not super keen on the PWM still used in iPhone OLED, but I also know how bad the display quality is on the LCD. And then there’s the size of course.

Anyone who’s been able to compare an X(S) and XR in person to give an indication of what 11 Pro vs non-Pro will be like?

Apple puts out some of the best LCD displays in the world. If you don't like LCD iPhones, then you've only got one choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

ufarn posted:

Yeah, I want to but just don’t have any stores nearby so I almost need to go in with a playbook for testing or something at least.

How is it possible that you have no cell phone stores nearby? Genuinely curious.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

SeANMcBAY posted:

Apple's LCDs are great but the OLEDs are definitely better. The blacks are much darker.

Video on OLED looks really weird when you're in an unlit room and watching dark video, I get some really bad banding where it goes from "barely lit very black" to "we turned that pixel off completely."

Other than that my old man eyes can't tell any difference between LCD and OLED.

I guess viewing angle is a thing but who holds their phone at a 75 degree angle? :iiam:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

What is this ‘dog mode’? I had the event on at work with no sound so didn’t get to see the whole thing. This sounds like an exciting feature I want, though.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

What is this ‘dog mode’? I had the event on at work with no sound so didn’t get to see the whole thing. This sounds like an exciting feature I want, though.

If it's what I think it's referring to, they are talking about the fact that the iPhone 11 allows you to take photos of your pets in portrait mode now.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Skeezy posted:

If it's what I think it's referring to, they are talking about the fact that the iPhone 11 allows you to take photos of your pets in portrait mode now.

Apple would have never ripped off Rise Of The Triad when Steve Jobs was around!!!

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

The XR’s current software enabled portrait mode only focuses on human faces. The XS/XS Max can take portrait photos of any object.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

But portrait mode works great on my cats? It's the only time I've used it.

edit - oh it's an XS feature, nevermind.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ah, yeah that should extend to every phone dammit. Luckily I have lots of bokeh-y shots of the hound anyway.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

XS superiority

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Matt Zerella posted:

I'm a little confused on the pricing.

People who trade in get a monthly discount, but if you're on AUP and are a year in, you still pay full monthly price?
You own the phone with the former, and have yet to pay it off with the later.

Think of AUP as trading in your phone for half of its value to get a new phone. This isn’t a terrible deal since the XS is already down to like 600ish on Swappa, although the best deal is “Don’t upgrade your phone every year, you weirdo.” but this is a den of unwise spending.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Josh Lyman posted:

XS superiority

XS is the best (for now)

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

TraderStav posted:

XS is the best (for now)

Good Dog

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah down with the fake portrait.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

The Dave posted:

Yeah down with the fake portrait.

Yesssss

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

MarcusSA posted:

They throw them in the garbage where they belong now that the newer better phones are out.

Real talk though I imagine they try and run pretty lean leading up to this so they probably don’t have a huge stock to burn through.

I worked for a company that bought a lot of phones for a business its size and yeah it was often pretty difficult to get phones in early September and reps would pretty much beg you to hold on a month in some instances.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I take senior portraits of my cat.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

These are all very good pets.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This is a blessed page.

Also one feature that’s really big (for me at least) is that you can finally just hold the loving shutter button to record video.

I love the feature in WhatsApp and Instagram.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

From the archives of my first (and last) week on Instagram. You said blessed.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

The 4/5 hour battery increases are pretty impressive - an 11 Pro Max would probably last 2 days for most people.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

This dog fucks.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

This is a blessed page.

Also one feature that’s really big (for me at least) is that you can finally just hold the loving shutter button to record video.

I love the feature in WhatsApp and Instagram.

When I saw that I wondered if they just decided to kill burst mode.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

The Dave posted:

When I saw that I wondered if they just decided to kill burst mode.

It would be great if we could choose whether we want holding it to do burst mode, short video, or nothing at all.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

What is the recommended “battery health” to have a replacement? My X is down to 89% and I have no yearning for a new model (I am hoping to have this phone last me another 2 years or so before an upgrade but that will probably require a battery replacement.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

astral posted:

It would be great if we could choose whether we want holding it to do burst mode, short video, or nothing at all.

You can still burst pictures. It’s press the button, then swipe slightly to the left and hold.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Aww, y'all have such cute pets :3:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

What is the recommended “battery health” to have a replacement? My X is down to 89% and I have no yearning for a new model (I am hoping to have this phone last me another 2 years or so before an upgrade but that will probably require a battery replacement.

I think batteries are considered dead around 80%

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

TraderStav posted:

This dog fucks.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
Did anyone mention that the camera bump has several camera bumps, each of which has yet another camera bump. Because god drat.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Magic Underwear posted:

Did anyone mention that the camera bump has several camera bumps, each of which has yet another camera bump. Because god drat.

It’s the lotus podtit of camera bumps op

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Magic Underwear posted:

What irritates me more is that it's a large rounded square, with three circular lenses arranged in a triangular formation within it. The presence of the flash and mic make an ugly thing worse. I thought a straight line of lenses would've looked nicer, but those lenses look particularly larger than any previous iPhone lenses, so maybe not.

Maybe it'll look better in person? Or rather, just fade into normalcy after a few months of exposure?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

enojy posted:

What irritates me more is that it's a large rounded square, with three circular lenses arranged in a triangular formation within it. The presence of the flash and mic make an ugly thing worse. I thought a straight line of lenses would've looked nicer, but those lenses look particularly larger than any previous iPhone lenses, so maybe not.

Maybe it'll look better in person? Or rather, just fade into normalcy after a few months of exposure?

It's on the back and you'll never see it, who cares.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Taken with my XS Max:

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Sep 11, 2019

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I have a 7 Plus. Is the Pro Max the same size or bigger? I'm confused because of the screen sizes.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Housh posted:

I have a 7 Plus. Is the Pro Max the same size or bigger? I'm confused because of the screen sizes.

Pro Max is the same size as your 7 Plus.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Bye bye Android, I don't have to put up with your bullshit anymore; iOS, here I come.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Mister Facetious posted:

Bye bye Android, I don't have to put up with your bullshit anymore; iOS, here I come.

What made you want to switch after all this time? Just curious, I've never had an Android phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicpile
Nov 7, 2009

FYI (Am Dev and have Dev Account) Currently to install the iOS 13.0GM without erasing your device you have to be on the 13.1 beta.

Looks like the upgrade path to 13 final release will be via 13.1 public beta. If you're like me and held off on installing 13.1 in order to get 13 then you should probably go ahead and install 13.1 beta unless you want to erase/restore with 13.0GM drops to the public.