Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Sagebrush posted:

you know what really loving sucks? when you're a new solo student and are really eager to get up and get your landings dialed in but the tower is understaffed and the ATIS gradually goes, over the course of a few weeks, from "the VFR pattern will be closed until 11:30AM" to "the VFR pattern will be closed until further notice" to "tower is not accepting VFR pattern traffic" and there is zero information on when, if ever, it'll be open again

real killer feature for an airport that hosts several flight schools I gotta say

About two years ago, one of our areas released a bunch of airspace to PBI approach, including terminal airspace for KFPR and KVRB which both had multiple huge flight school operations. The very first thing PBI approach did was close those two airports to practice approaches...

...Which was the entire point of releasing the loving airspace to Palm Beach in the first place.

Also, the center area in question still hasn’t assumed any other airspace, so they essentially sit on their thumbs all day.

EFFICIENCY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Our pattern (we call it the circuit up here) has been restricted for months and months now! It loving sucks for instructors and students and flight training units as a whole!

It's getting a bit better recently but it's still pretty hit-or-miss. I wish we had nice long bookings so we could go out to other airports and do circuits there instead, but honestly it's just throwing students' money away to go 25 minutes out and 25 minutes back for all of four landings. Not to mention narrow and short runways with more obstacles around are not my favourite things for students who are new to the circuit and/or struggling in the circuit.

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

Had my first lesson today. Did 1.2 in the air after getting set up in IACRA. Instructor thought I was pretty far ahead of the game so I'm glad all my reading ahead and practicing procedures/radio in the sim was worthwhile. It was a blast and can't wait for the 10 hours I have scheduled next weekend!

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

My (schools maintenance) schedule hosed me last week, but tomorrow I'm gonna go fly some more if the weather doesn't gently caress me (which seems unlikely at this point). Tldr gently caress me

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY
Just lol if you don't flight instruct at a towered airport where the controller pay scale is determined by the total number of landings that has occurred. They literally thank you for beating up the pattern :smuggo:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
If I apply for a 121 gig with 2700TT, 1800 jet, 500 jet PIC and 2.5 type ratings do I still start off at the bottom pay scale at pretty much any regional?

It’s that time of year again, I’m looking at options in my free time. This time because my decent 91 gig is slowly transitioning into a greedy 135 operation and they started doing cool moves like taking days back that I was marked off. They’re loving my schedule and I’m starting to wonder if they’re blowing smoke up my rear end about ever giving another raise or upgrade.

That being said, I’ve always wanted the cool travel perks that I can use to see the world.

Also I wanna start at 75k.

Impossible?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Rolo posted:

If I apply for a 121 gig with 2700TT, 1800 jet, 500 jet PIC and 2.5 type ratings do I still start off at the bottom pay scale at pretty much any regional?

It’s that time of year again, I’m looking at options in my free time. This time because my decent 91 gig is slowly transitioning into a greedy 135 operation and they started doing cool moves like taking days back that I was marked off. They’re loving my schedule and I’m starting to wonder if they’re blowing smoke up my rear end about ever giving another raise or upgrade.

That being said, I’ve always wanted the cool travel perks that I can use to see the world.

Also I wanna start at 75k.

Impossible?
Yep bottom of the ladder.

Atlas would take you and get you 75k first year fwiw.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
My concerns with jumping ship on 91/135:

-I’m already 32
-I don’t have my bachelors’s
-I can’t go back to making sub-60k

My concerns with staying:
-hosed by schedule
-Unpredictable raise and upgrade schedule (if any)

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

32 is still very young in this industry. You still got another 32 years to go until retirement. I know guys going to the legacy airlines in their 50’s. But if you are concerned about running out of time, start making your moves now and position yourself into a career path that will take you to retirement. UPS, United, and Southwest have hired a bunch of our pilots with no degrees. I wouldn’t trust my future to a 91/135 outfit unless it was the aviation department of a large and stable corporation.

Animal fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Sep 10, 2019

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Good to hear. I have some friends at different operations, I’ll start buying beers and asking them questions about it. At least I have a paying job for the time being so I can take my time and research.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I sat through a Southwest hiring presentation when The 99s were in Dayton (long story short, MyScheduleWasFucked.txt) and they seemed to indicate a Bachelor's wasn't necessarily required anymore.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Also reason number whatever: dealing with absolute morons that have money.

I’ve been asked to disable the WiFi because of the radiation, to not make eye contact, to angle the door away from the FBO, to not let more than one line personnel near the plane, to take off smooth so their ears don’t pop, to PRAY WE SURVIVE. I’m not joking about that one. Rolo, will you lead us in prayer so god will keep us safe on our six figure ski weekend?

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

So long as you hail satan at the end of that prayer I don’t see the problem. Serious though, get out of anything not 121. I spent 12 years in 135 and only wish I had gotten out sooner. I’ll say it again: I’d rather quit flying than go back to unsked.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Rolo posted:

I’ve been asked to disable the WiFi because of the radiation, to not make eye contact, to angle the door away from the FBO, to not let more than one line personnel near the plane, to take off smooth so their ears don’t pop, to PRAY WE SURVIVE. I’m not joking about that one. Rolo, will you lead us in prayer so god will keep us safe on our six figure ski weekend?

If they’re flying to go skiing in the mountains, WiFi is literally the least of their radiation worries.

yellowD
Mar 7, 2007

I scared the hell out of myself in an airplane this weekend.

There's one 172 that I'd only been in a couple times with the instructor and never really liked flying it. It's been a few months but Saturday was a steady 4kt crosswind so I figured I'd hit the pattern and figure out why what it is I don't like about it, or if it was just all in my head.

The engine was rebuilt by not-lycoming so it is more powerful, but the plane itself felt... twitchy is the only way I know how to really describe it. The first time around the pattern wasn't great, but the approach was relatively stable until I got blown to the side before touchdown and went around. Next pass was a super lovely touch and go and I bounced it. Decided on climb out that I was done.

Missed again. Twitchy through the pattern. Another miss another trip around. I got it down, with some bounces. Did a good job of keeping my poo poo together at the time, but the experience has kept me up the past few nights. I was scheduled for a 250nm solo cross country this coming Saturday that I'm seriously questioning now. The past 100 landings have been somewhere between 'that was fine' and 'greased it' so this is concerning

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
One of the benefits of tailwheels is that the instructor can push the stick forward to force a bounce and specifically teach/practice bounce recoveries, without wrecking the nosewheel/firewall.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Rolo posted:

"No because God isn't real and you're the proof"

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

yellowD posted:

I scared the hell out of myself in an airplane this weekend.

There's one 172 that I'd only been in a couple times with the instructor and never really liked flying it. It's been a few months but Saturday was a steady 4kt crosswind so I figured I'd hit the pattern and figure out why what it is I don't like about it, or if it was just all in my head.

First of all, you made a good call deciding to cut the flight short when you realized you weren't performing where you should have been.

If you're not confident in your skills and have yourself worried, there's absolutely nothing wrong with going up with an instructor to knock out some landings to figure out whether you're missing/forgetting something or it was just a bad day, or you could maybe see if you can do a touch-and-go at the home airport before you deapart for the XC to see if you feel confident.

As for the airplane feeling "twitchy", it's not uncommon for "identical" airplanes to feel different (especially on older trainers where the control rigging can vary, engines are different, CG isn't constant, and airframes might not be totally straight), so it's very probable that something is different between the two airplanes that makes a difference in how they handle.

azflyboy fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Sep 11, 2019

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Finally officially signed off to solo :woop: Going to do it tomorrow morning if weather stays nice. About 6 flight hours ago the instructor I fly with the most was talking about letting me do it soon, and I felt ready, but also terrified. I am a lot more ready now, and so loving pumped, and really happy to have gotten 2 instructors (including a more 'strict' one) comfortable with it.

I try to mix the three instructors available as much as possible, but because of ~~**the schedule**~~, I've flown with 1 instructor 8 times, another instructor 4 times, and the chief instructor never (we're scheduled on Friday, but it's not the first time we've been scheduled).

Been having a lot of close calls with birds lately, the worst this morning on takeoff. Stayed on the runway late to go under them, which was the/a right call, but it was close and I'd probably pull power next time.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

18 years ago Mohammed Atta REALLY hosed my schedule up.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Soloed this morning! It was super great -- greased the last landing and then high speed taxied for almost a mile, just to really cap it off.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

Soloed this morning! It was super great -- greased the last landing and then high speed taxied for almost a mile, just to really cap it off.

Congrats pilot in command!!! Did you laugh out loud during the climb out?

I've passed my Boeing 767 line checks so I'm also a pilot in command now. e.pilot are you ready to be scheduling's bitch together with me!?

Animal fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Sep 12, 2019

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Animal posted:

I've passed my Boeing 767 line checks so I'm also a pilot in command now. e.pilot are you ready to be scheduling's bitch together with me!?

Are you coming to ONT :stwoon:

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

e.pilot posted:

Are you coming to ONT :stwoon:

Yep! Ready to rock those RFD and SCK layovers

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Animal posted:

Yep! Ready to rock those RFD and SCK layovers

There's a rotating sushi bar right by the hotel in ONT I highly recommend.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

The company that does our flight training was sold to another company. This has apparently been in the works for a few weeks, yet nobody bothered to officially* tell me until an email came in today suggesting I make a post on the school's Facebook page to assure the students that, for them, it just amounts to a name change. :effort: (The sale almost took place last year and I only found out a day or two before in spite of the buyer allegedly sending emails out bragging that it was coming.)

(*If not for a friend at the FSDO confirming it was basically a done deal a week and half ago, I'd have been completely in the dark.)

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Sep 12, 2019

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

CBJSprague24 posted:

The company that does our flight training was sold to another company. This has apparently been in the works for a few weeks, yet nobody bothered to officially* tell me until an email came in today suggesting I make a post on the school's Facebook page to assure the students that, for them, it just amounts to a name change. :effort: (The sale almost took place last year and I only found out a day or two before in spite of the buyer allegedly sending emails out bragging that it was coming.)

(*If not for a friend at the FSDO confirming it was basically a done deal a week and half ago, I'd have been completely in the dark.)

Welcome to aviation.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

e.pilot posted:

Welcome to aviation.

You haven’t been here long enough until your airline goes out of business and no one tells you for two days, and you finally get a phone call from a buddy at the airport that works for the GSE/Tug contractor that you might wanna call your office.

:eng99:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

Awesome! :wooper: Schedule your first "real" solo right now so that you stay on the horse and don't get psyched out and put it off. And when you get up there, be amazed at how much easier it is to nail all the radio calls without your instructor yammering away the whole time lol

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
Flew the guppy for the first time this week. It's surprisingly not as uncomfortable as people said it would be and from a purely stick and rudder perspective it flies a whole lot better than the 175.

Animal posted:

Can I join? I'll be LAX based as of the 27th which means I cover ONT as well. Of course I'm about %99.9 on our seniority list so I basically have zero control over when I'll be there.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Do you have stairs in your cockpit??

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Charles posted:

Is a single step sufficient protection?

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Animal posted:

tyty and congrats as well!

Sagebrush posted:

Awesome! :wooper: Schedule your first "real" solo right now so that you stay on the horse and don't get psyched out and put it off. And when you get up there, be amazed at how much easier it is to nail all the radio calls without your instructor yammering away the whole time lol

Thanks! Yeah, definitely going to book some extra time now that I only need a plane and not neccesarily an instructor :getin:

Not gonna lie, kinda pissed they didnt cut my shirt. There's fuckin other shirt tails hangin in the flight school office :colbert:

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Charles posted:

ATC goon asked me that once when he recognized my call sign. Got some weird looks from my copilot after that one!!

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Charles posted:

The 747 actually does :smugdon:

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

Not gonna lie, kinda pissed they didnt cut my shirt. There's fuckin other shirt tails hangin in the flight school office :colbert:

Around here the tradition is for the instructor to spend the time picking a bouquet of wild flowers for when the student gets back. :3: I always thought that was nice. Of course I soloed in way early spring, so I got withered heather. When I got home it had crumbled all over my car seats.

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008
:dukedog:

Fun Shoe
Did my first solo xc today! I got my flight following and got a bit mixed up between frequencies when I got handed off to approach. All worked out in the end, just asked where I should be.

Fun!

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012

unpurposed posted:

Did my first solo xc today! I got my flight following and got a bit mixed up between frequencies when I got handed off to approach. All worked out in the end, just asked where I should be.

Fun!
Congrats! Messing up a bit and fixing it all by your lonesome is a great draw of soloing! :toot:

On my second solo xc one controller wanted to hand me off early and the next one didn’t want to pick me up yet so they passed me back and forth like a hot potato until after the third or fourth switch I just told the next controller he could either accept the handoff or cancel flight following. By that point I’m pretty sure I was within his airspace anyway so there we go. :v:

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

unpurposed posted:

Fun!

Congrats!

I got to dodge a NORDO hot air balloon flying into the pattern and then landing off the end of a runway at an uncontrolled airport. As far as my instructor and I could tell it was legal, but it was maybe not the smartest decision nor terribly considerate. Not that we know anything about ballooning other than "don't hit them".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Had my first solo 9 years ago this week.

Edit: found my very first post here :allears:

quote:

Are there any A&P mechanics in here?

Also I had my first solo cross country the other week, number two coming up this week .

Rolo fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Sep 13, 2019