Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Anidav posted:

Courier Mail is now reporting QLD fires were caused by teenage arsonists, not climate change.

Yes, Teenagers simply all decided to light fires in the same week.

Kids these days smdh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

arson for the dole

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
inTEREsting that the gov is against JOB CREATORS

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
What's the deal with the health insurance and premiums after 30 about again? Someone posted a good summary in the last thread now I can't find it

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Short version outside of some birth plans and dental plans don't bother.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

screaden posted:

What's the deal with the health insurance and premiums after 30 about again? Someone posted a good summary in the last thread now I can't find it

If we all stay strong and refuse to get private health the industry will fail and the whole thing can be re-nationalised

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Get private for having a baby that's about it

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...
i'm having a baby

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

EoinCannon posted:

If we all stay strong and refuse to get private health the industry will be propped up with increasing taxpayer subsidy to provide "choice" to the market

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Yeah, Morrison would 100% bail them out.

edit: will not would

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

kirbysuperstar posted:

welfare did this

I heard they rubbed their cashless welfare cards together to spark the blaze

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

bandaid.friend posted:

Like you care

We did it folks. For all our high horse rhetoric on gun control, we've still managed to co-opt and repurpose the US 'don't politicise on me' bullshit they trot out after every mass shooting. Good job.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Actually the cashless welfare cards would have stopped them buying free bongs and ciggies that caused this.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I reckon setting up a Wechat propaganda arm for the LNP in exchange for electing Gladys Liu is a fair trade yeah?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
It's a little sobering to realise that extremist groups can just through a durry butt into the bush and cause a holocaust. Both here and in California. Surprised this hasn't made it onto their agenda yet.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Bear in mind whenever anyone talks about the ‘results’ of the cashless welfare card trial, the only actually positive metric they have to show it is working, the evidence that they are pinning this entire loving rollout upon, is self reported drug/alcohol/gambling participation during face to face Centrelink interviews in the trial areas

Jezza of OZPOS fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Sep 11, 2019

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I haven’t seen a single article question this, at best it’s simply presented alongside a statement from addiction councillors saying it isn’t working for some nebulous sense of balance but nobody has bothered to even question the credibility of implementing it based upon what people under the hammer are saying to try and get by and nothing else

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Former Labor leader Bill Shorten has declared the party will "learn the lessons" of defeat in a crucial election review to prepare for the next ballot, admitting changes were "inevitable" in the rethink of the party's direction and policies.

In another step towards a new policy platform, Mr Shorten acknowledged the case for policy change after a caucus meeting in Parliament House that included a dispute over how to respond to a government bill to punish animal activists who trespass on farms.

"We didn't get enough votes at the last election so some change is inevitable," Mr Shorten said when asked about the review into the Labor campaign.

"If Labor didn't change some of its point of view, then that would be showing that we hadn't learned the lessons from the election."

The comments followed a call from his successor, Anthony Albanese, for the party to "regroup and review" before the next election rather than stick with all the policies rejected at the ballot box in May.

"If you do the same things in politics, you can expect the same outcomes," Mr Albanese told the weekly meeting of the Labor caucus.

The remarks contrast with party president Wayne Swan and his call last Friday to "be proud of" the tax agenda including big revenue increases from changes to negative gearing, capital gains tax and franking credits.

Mr Albanese made it clear there would be substantial change, in line with a call from Labor climate change spokesman Mark Butler on Monday for a "ruthless" review of the mistakes in the last election campaign.

While Labor awaits a formal election review led by former South Australian premier Jay Weatherill, the federal caucus heard a dispute over the tactics to be taken on bills to be decided this fortnight.

Former minister Kim Carr urged the party to hold out against a government bill to impose criminal sanctions on activists who incite others to trespass on farms over issues such as animal welfare.

The amendments to the criminal code, known as the "agricultural protection" bill, came under fire from Senator Carr and upper house colleague Anthony Chisholm in a committee report last week where they rubbished the changes as "virtue signalling" to conservatives.

In line with that report, Senator Carr told the caucus on Tuesday that Labor should not capitulate to the government and should instead insist on substantial amendments to the bill.

Mr Albanese, a longtime factional rival of Senator Carr, rejected that approach.

"Trade unionists are part of our constituency, vegan terrorists are not," Mr Albanese told colleagues.

When a second Labor MP also raised concerns about the animal activist bill, Labor Senate leader Penny Wong backed Mr Albanese.

"The argument that we are capitulating on major issues is a Greens' tactic and we must take it on," she told caucus.

Labor agriculture spokesman Joel Fitzgibbon told the caucus the government bill was a "clumsy" move that overlapped with existing state laws but that intrusions by activists were a real problem for farmers, which meant Labor should not deny them support.

The caucus decided to move amendments to the agriculture bill rather than block it.

A similar dispute is expected at the caucus meeting next week when Labor MPs may have to decide whether to support a government bill to impose mandatory criminal penalties on people found guilty of child sex offences.

Mr Albanese argued Labor was standing up for its core principles by demanding an increase in the Newstart allowance, an Indigenous "voice" to Parliament, a national integrity commission and the removal of "robo-debt" penalties on welfare recipients. He also said the party had voted the right way on income tax cuts worth $158 billion over a decade when those changes were passed in July.

"There is nothing Labor about voting against putting more money in the pockets of cleaners," he said.

Biiiiiiiiillllll

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Labor has officaly become the democrates, both parties are now right wing/leaning

hawaiian_robot
Dec 5, 2006

And I'm happy just to sit here,
At a table with old friends.
And see which one of us can tell the biggest lies

fauna posted:

i'm having a baby

anecdotal, but a friend recently had a baby, works for a health insurer and went public

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

You don't absolutely need private health insurance to have a baby - getting to stay in for a few extra days is nice, but if the baby shows any health issues you'll stay in with them anyway.

We've had a few ambulance trips with SMG so private health has been handy there, but as the kids get older I'm going to try and talk MrsMachineGun into lowering our cover or getting out altogether.

Purk
Aug 9, 2017
I've had two kids through public hospitals and it was problem free both times. My wife also had a stay in hospital over post-natal issues a month and a bit after our second and found staff and programs decent. Admission was also a matter days after the referrals.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

screaden posted:

It was probably me that explained it and I can't find it either so...

Lifetime Health Cover Loading is what you're asking about. It only applies to the hospital side of cover so disregard anything I'm saying if you're asking about extras only.

Once you turn 31, you have until the next July 1st to take out a hospital policy. If you don't, your premium increases by 2% every year to a maximum increase of 70%. Once you take out the policy, it stops increasing but you still have to pay it for 10 years. Once that's over, it's removed completely.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

MysticalMachineGun posted:

We've had a few ambulance trips with SMG so private health has been handy there, but as the kids get older I'm going to try and talk MrsMachineGun into lowering our cover or getting out altogether.

I have Ambulance Victoria membership for about 50 bucks a year, is that different to what you have in your insurance?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Ambulence stuff differs quite a bit from state to state I think with some state governemtns covering all of it, others offering it for cheap fee, and some (like loving NSW) only providing free cover if you're a concession card holder etc.

It's one of the obviously dumb bits of the health care system in the country, like the lack of dental coverage.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

JBP posted:

Get private for having a baby that's about it

Yeah don't do this. Private hospitals will basically bully women into having c sections so everything can be planned nice and neat. If anything serious actually goes wrong they're gonna send you to a public hospital anyway.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

Anidav posted:

Sean Leahy, the Courier Mail cartoonist made this cartoon for tomorrow's paper.

Didn't make it past editorial, won't be published apparently. :tinfoil:

Cover art for the post Event best seller!
News corpse: we refuse to news.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

JBP posted:

Teenagers false flagging climate change

Big Lie Ka-Ching! I reckon they’ll try this one on sooner or later too.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Big Willy Style posted:

Yeah don't do this. Private hospitals will basically bully women into having c sections so everything can be planned nice and neat. If anything serious actually goes wrong they're gonna send you to a public hospital anyway.

Uh, getting induced maybe (and that's when they're past their due date) but I've never heard of bullying into c-sections. Time to try a different hospital!

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
C-sections allow doctors to maximise their procedures per day, and they're less likely to result in the doctor being sued. So yeah, I can see unscrupulous doctors applying pressure for it, regardless of the patient. There were a number of articles about it last year for sure.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...

centrelink has forced me to new depths

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
International students have been banned from contesting student elections at one of Victoria's most prestigious universities, in a move to stop a group of Chinese students seizing control of the student union.

The ban, which the country's peak student body called an "attack on international students", comes as politicians and academics are increasingly concerned about Chinese Communist Party influence at Australian universities.

Leaders of Monash University's Caulfield campus student body last week passed a new rule that students wishing to run at next week's election must be eligible to work 22 hours per week.

Foreigners on student visas are not allowed to work more than 20 hours per week, meaning more than half the campus' students are barred from running for election.

The rules were passed by Monash Student Association Caulfield's student council to thwart the election hopes of a rival group led by and consisting mainly of Chinese international students.

The international student group, which is considering legal action to fight the ruling, was tipped to comfortably win the election and take over the union.

International students – which make up 62 per cent of the campus population, more than double the national average – bring in a large proportion of the university's revenue.

University students for A p a r t h e i d

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Reds In Higher Eds!

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

If international students make up over half the student body and win the election fair and square then what's the problem?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
This article is 2.5 years old, has anything changed?

https://theaimn.com/lnp-welfare-card-true-facts-exposed-corruption-disguised-philanthropy/

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

MysticalMachineGun posted:

If international students make up over half the student body and win the election fair and square then what's the problem?

SWAMPED

WITH

ASIANS

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I think the issue is people are concerned that a student body could in theory get taken over by CCP orgs and use the funding to student services to bankroll pro Beijing events and activities while denying funding to others.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
Not a great outlook for 10-20 years time when the students involved inevitably brownnose their way into political careers and government.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I mean, the QUT liberal council back in my time banned all activities that weren't related to the LNP or Christianity so when Orientation week came around all the activities set up for undergrads were about the LNP and Jesus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Sebastian Left Focus bought chicken wire and hammers with MUSU funds and made the case for voluntary unionism never forget