Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
It depends how radical your lawmakers and how willing to bend the rules you are, really.

So in Canada, it's impossible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice
Voted NDP in Manitoba back during the advance voting but Manitoba is horrible and will re-elect Pallister and I'm already in the acceptance stage of grief.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

It begins

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Utgardaloki posted:

It depends how radical your lawmakers and how willing to bend the rules you are, really.

So in Canada, it's impossible.

Yeah it basically boils down less to economics and more to political will. Like back in the cold war days when South America was dabbling with communism the stuff that tended to get the CIA feeling all coup-y was where they would just straight up seize foreign controlled assets for the nation. There's no reason that couldn't be done for domestic controlled industries either, but it would at the very least require a government willing to actually write legislation that says something along the lines of "electricity is in the common interest of the nation and cannot be owned by the private sector". If they're feeling nice they might offer to buy the assets at a reasonable price before the law goes into effect and they just seize it by default.

Of course, nobody this radical in Canada has any hope of getting anywhere near enough power to actually make it happen, so it basically just boils down to the private entities running themselves into the ground and then making the public clean up the mess they created while the executives bail on huge golden parachutes. And even if Canadian politicians WERE this radical, there's still that issue mentioned above where our neighbour to the south might decide that it's time for a bit of regime change, "for our own good".

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I’m out drinking as we speak.

And uh, posting on a forum. Don’t think about that one too hard

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

The CBC man on the Manitoba election broadcast just said 64 is close to double 49 so hm.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Vintersorg posted:

How hard is it to reverse privatization?

Usually very, because unless the government is willing to just take the asset, they have to offer something like "market value", which is usually considerably more than they sold it off for in the first place.

See: Ontario Hydro

Pinterest Mom posted:

The CBC man on the Manitoba election broadcast just said 64 is close to double 49 so hm.

Grenier?

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

CBC calling a PC Majority.

RIP Hydro, MPI and MLCC.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Chugging a beer for uh, my own sanity?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
The only thing better than a terrible election night is waking up with a wicked hangover and a PC government, take it from me, an Ontarian.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

infernal machines posted:

The only thing better than a terrible election night is waking up with a wicked hangover and a PC government, take it from me, an Ontarian.

I’ve got the morning off so I’m gonna have a good go at it here.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Good luck friend.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Well, no wonder everyone here is so bummed.

I get it now.

Hope is false. gently caress this province. It’s not worth giving a poo poo about any politics.

I can’t wait for this world to end.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Welcome to your Canada years

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Have you considered spending half the year in Costa Rica?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

James Baud posted:

Have you considered spending half the year in Costa Rica?

The hard part is finding the half Pallister isn't there.

SHAQ4PREZ
Dec 21, 2004

How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Economy Car
Looks like my riding flipped to the NDP so that's nice.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
PCs will sell liquor stores over the next 3 years, they will retain the LC for import and taxing of liquor

Pallister will retire in 3 years and join the board of directors of the newly privatized liquor stores

Some ghoulish old white guy will become the new Premier

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/l_stone/status/1171577470782509056

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I am so not looking forward to this month and a half of bullshit.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

SHAQ4PREZ posted:

Looks like my riding flipped to the NDP so that's nice.

Same. Too bad about rural southern Manitoba though.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Wasn't aware election campaign songs were still a thing.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

I’m not listening to it. I’m assuming it’s a remix of that song that one goon submitted for the Hockey Night In Canada contest that was just crying babies, cats meowing and automatic rifle fire.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

nine-gear crow posted:

I’m not listening to it. I’m assuming it’s a remix of that song that one goon submitted for the Hockey Night In Canada contest that was just crying babies, cats meowing and automatic rifle fire.

im still pissed cbc removed that gem from the voting because it was getting 4chan boosted

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

DariusLikewise posted:

PCs will sell liquor stores over the next 3 years, they will retain the LC for import and taxing of liquor

Pallister will retire in 3 years and join the board of directors of the newly privatized liquor stores

Some ghoulish old white guy will become the new Premier

You forgot that the old white guy who will become the new Premier will be NDP and over several terms the leadership will crumble and become corrupt and then Manitoba will elect Pallister's right hand (Goertzen I guess?) to be the Premier and he will slash and burn and privatize and join the board of directors of whatever he spearheaded the decimation of and then ... (REPEAT INFINITELY)

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

vyelkin posted:

im loving the new green party platform of "vote for us and your candidate will do whatever, gently caress it, we have no idea"

This is in stark contrast to the Liberal platform of "vote for us and every candidate will do whatever, gently caress it, we lied but what are you going to do, vote for Kodos?".

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Fun seeing all the vote splitting on the left.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

DynamicSloth posted:

Wasn't aware election campaign songs were still a thing.

The PQ and Bloc Québécois still have one nearly every election because they're never going to stop trying to relive 1976, and some fringe wackos like Max Bernier have their own personal song but yeah, I don't think it's a thing in the ROC much.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

InfiniteZero posted:

You forgot that the old white guy who will become the new Premier will be NDP and over several terms the leadership will crumble and become corrupt and then Manitoba will elect Pallister's right hand (Goertzen I guess?) to be the Premier and he will slash and burn and privatize and join the board of directors of whatever he spearheaded the decimation of and then ... (REPEAT INFINITELY)

How long do you assume this planet can sustain our dumb species with this cycle?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
1986 or so.

LOL.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Oh you mean how long can we live not how long until we've sent it over the precipice.

The world won't end until the last boomer takes their final breath.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Because the last boomer is liable to be PotUS and launch all the nukes out of spite for the survivors?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
The boomers did a blood pact with Satan so that they would never have to face consequences for their actions but as soon as the last one dies the world can end.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Election song "to avoid legal trouble with other artists' music'

Yeah because licensing is so hard and totally the driving factor here; not the artist coming out a minute later and saying "eugghhh no not that fuckin guy"

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

We've got the American Jesus
Bolstering national faith

We've got the American Jesus
Overwhelming millions every day

nine-gear crow posted:

You leave Hockey Scores! out of this :arghfist:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
https://twitter.com/natnewswatch/status/1171748793995468800

Man, this is hillarious.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
I think I'll be volunteering for the NDP this election. Time to look up how to do it lol.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Arabian Jesus posted:

You leave Hockey Scores! out of this :arghfist:

Never forget
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbZMnF1VNlE

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Yeah, why would you assume Scheer had something that good?? Next you’ll think he has The Fireman on his side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Toalpaz posted:

I think I'll be volunteering for the NDP this election. Time to look up how to do it lol.

Hopefully, Trudeau's platform includes this but like 0% after 3 full years so boomers don't light him on fire. It combos so good with the new homebuyer incentive.

https://twitter.com/BenRabidoux/status/1171567513341169664