Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I did a smaller sized pnp of 89 two weeks ago and laminated everything for dry erase purposes. Have a separate sheet for track tiles we mark off to keep track of uh, tracks. Also made the actual tiles but that was a lot of work to cut and double laminate using peel sheets. It’s about 1/3rd size of the actual files or standard hexes but this was made for specifically 2 and 3p and easy travel. My friends have a copy of the All Aboard version and I prefer this. Turned out great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

I pnp'd that copy and mounted it on cardboard

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Re the discussion about Euros and interactivity.

For me it was Gaia Project. I realised that if I want something of that weight and length I need either some really clever mechanics or actual player interaction. Things like Concordia, Dominion, Istanbul or Endeavour are fine because they're much faster and more elegant (to say nothing of games like Hansa Teutonica or Yellow & Yangtze) but board games are a social thing for me and if I wanted to spend several hours on an essentially solo experience I'd probably prefer to play a video game.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

For me I prefer the more passive aggressive interaction in a Euro game, you don't attack someone's position you block them from progressing their. Something like Power Grid each phase there's a lot of manoeuvring for position, a lot of planning to see if buying all the coal is worth it to you in the long run. Then thinking about another game I love Eclipse it become more an exercise in cutting down the tall poppy.

Our group mostly play 5 or 6 players games as well I find adversarial games the play time increases almost exponentially with the number of players.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Redundant posted:

There are so many 18XX games and the fact that they each seem to have strengths and weaknesses that require some familiarity of the systems in order to parse mean that I always feel out of my depth just starting to look at which one I might like to try to play once, let alone buy. I kind of think that is an incredible thing in and of itself and I also appreciate the fact that the way I interpret 18XX games is probably how a lot of my friends view the random stuff I drop in front of them during game nights with little to no warning. Are there any 18XX games with a good TTS version?

I bought 1830 on sale and learned it without the benefit of any other train game knowledge. If you can grok a splotter economic game, you can do 1830 from a standing start.

It's not TTS but 1830 the old DOS game is abandonware and can be downloaded and played (against computer opponents) with a DOSbox setup. I played it a fair bit that way. It's an old DOS game but a good implementation.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

I'll have a copy of that. Thank you very much! :D

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Kemet is getting a new rules revision in French, but they aren't planning to print a new edition of the game.

A French speaker says the actual changes are :

• The game now begins with the day phase, consequently you get 2 DI cards and 7 prayer points during setup (instead of 1 DI and 5 PP).
  • There is a new dawn phase after night. At dawn, you check for victory and change turn order.
  • Turn order is chosen randomly at setup and then at each dawn phase, the player with the least VP chooses his or her place in turn order first, then the second with the least VP and so on.
  • When moving, you are only limited to 1 teleportation.
  • City walls now also apply between the districts of a city, preventing a troop from conquering multiple pyramids in the same turn.
  • In combat, in case of a tie, the defender wins (no change). If in a city, the owner of the city wins all ties.
  • When returning troops at the end of combat, you only gain [number of units] - 1 PP, not the full number of units.
  • The names of the pyramids and the power tile types are now Diamond, Ruby & Sapphire
  • New endgame : when a player has 9 VP at the start of a day, game ends at the next dawn phase. At this moment, the player with the most VP wins. The player who triggered the endgame wins ties, if he or she is not involved in one, combat VP and then last turn order break ties. There is no more short/long game variant.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Biggest change is the color names, so you no longer have slavery in the white power tileset.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Bottom Liner posted:

I did a smaller sized pnp of 89 two weeks ago and laminated everything for dry erase purposes. Have a separate sheet for track tiles we mark off to keep track of uh, tracks. Also made the actual tiles but that was a lot of work to cut and double laminate using peel sheets. It’s about 1/3rd size of the actual files or standard hexes but this was made for specifically 2 and 3p and easy travel. My friends have a copy of the All Aboard version and I prefer this. Turned out great.

Did you ever do photos (if it was you, but I think it was) of the FCM portable version you rigged up?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
I cannot recall who deluxified their copies of Pax Pamir. Can you sound off so I can look at your post history and see your good work?

Thanks.

E Found one:

Chill la Chill posted:

Pax Pamir came in. Played a game with 5 last night. Painted these this morning

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Sep 11, 2019

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

golden bubble posted:

Kemet is getting a new rules revision in French, but they aren't planning to print a new edition of the game.

A French speaker says the actual changes are :

• The game now begins with the day phase, consequently you get 2 DI cards and 7 prayer points during setup (instead of 1 DI and 5 PP).

• City walls now also apply between the districts of a city, preventing a troop from conquering multiple pyramids in the same turn.

These two aren't changes.

I hadn't considered the idea of teleporting more than once in a single move action, which is odd because Priest of Ra/Stargate is one of my favourite strategies and I am sometimes able to grab the power that allows teleporting between obelisks as well. Probably it's because by the time you can get that online all the temples are occupied, meaning you have to stop after the first jump anyway.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Deathlove posted:

Did you ever do photos (if it was you, but I think it was) of the FCM portable version you rigged up?

Bottom Liner posted:

Turned out pretty great. Fits in a ziploc bag with the food meeples or can go full travel mode with just using dry erase and premade printed maps.

It’s actually in the same document folder as 1889, lot of game in a half an inch thick space!

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Bottom Liner posted:

It’s actually in the same document folder as 1889, lot of game in a half an inch thick space!

Goddamit that's nice, I forgot about that. I would definitely make one of those. Can you link to the files you used?

Also, where did you get the little wooden discs for your '89 PNP? Did you scavenge from other games or use the power of inexpensive US businesses that don't charge a million dollars to ship the tiniest of things North?

What are the odds I could walk over to the printing company next door to me and pick their brain about making me a copy of 1889? Or is this something that would confuse and aggravate them into stealing my lunch money?

FulsomFrank fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Sep 11, 2019

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

FulsomFrank posted:

Goddamit that's nice, I forgot about that. I would definitely make one of those. Can you link to the files you used?

Also, where did you get the little wooden discs for your '89 PNP? Did you scavenge from other games or use the power of inexpensive US businesses that don't charge a million dollars to ship the tiniest of things North?

What are the odds I could walk over to the printing company next door to me and pick their brain about making me a copy of 1889? Or is this something that would confuse and aggravate them into stealing my lunch money?

I'm not sure how much :files: it is to share, but I did pull everything from BGG and combined them together myself for the player sheets and such.

For 89 I had a bunch of little tokens leftover in a "random bits" box, I don't even remember where they came from. The printing is really simple, but the cutting is a real pain for the hexes and station tokens. The type of laminate you use can make it easier though, if its the kind that is sticky on both sides and you can print then cut. My local print shops charge per cut so hellll no don't ask them to do a bunch of hexes lol.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Sep 11, 2019

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

I'm just catching up on like 50 posts, so please forgive this callback. Eklund's contention that boardgamers have a leg up in life because they're good at discovering hidden rulesets has a pretty obvious flipside: boardgamers are often socially handicapped because they believe real life is driven by hidden rulesets.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Bottom Liner posted:

Thanks! These are really awesome, I get that people love the feel of the ~big game~ (not that FCM is super-huge but it can get unwieldly) and seeing mods like this are just so great.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Rutibex posted:

I'll have a copy of that. Thank you very much! :D

I have access to a wide format vinyl printer and cutter (I do have to pay a bit for materials and time though). It would essentially let me make this as a set of vinyl stickers though, pre-cut. I'll have to figure out how much it'll cost to print a set.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

CaptainRightful posted:

I'm just catching up on like 50 posts, so please forgive this callback. Eklund's contention that boardgamers have a leg up in life because they're good at discovering hidden rulesets has a pretty obvious flipside: boardgamers are often socially handicapped because they believe real life is driven by hidden rulesets.

Seems like a pretty good summary of Phil Eklund, and libertarians in general.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

CaptainRightful posted:

My hot take contribution is that big organizations (eg the bulk of the actual world) run on absurd rules, and the only place logical rulesets meaningfully exist is games :goleft:

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

DOG controls your destiny. Seek out three items of his favor and then seek his shrine.
Played my first 4 player game of Pax Pamir 2nd ed last night and it was a lot of fun. We had a ton of political cards show up on the opening market so pretty much anything you wanted to do required a bribe. We had 2 brand new players and then two of us who had played but only 2-3 player games. The new players took to it really quick and everyone was super enthusiastic to play again soon.

I think one of the things that really appeals to me about it is that the starting cards can be so different between games. I really like it when games have a lot of variety in the early game. We're still very much getting the hang of how much to value individual cards but we all agreed that we cant let one player have a double tax sitting with no spies and being in the favored suit for 3 rounds like we had last night.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

CaptainRightful posted:

I missed it the first time but Eklund’s take pretty much ignore the privileged position board gamers usually find themselves in: enough support and income to house a large collection and enough free time not working 2-3 jobs to play them. So it’s funny since it’s correct in an odd way.

Bottom Liner posted:

I'm not sure how much :files: it is to share, but I did pull everything from BGG and combined them together myself for the player sheets and such.

For 89 I had a bunch of little tokens leftover in a "random bits" box, I don't even remember where they came from. The printing is really simple, but the cutting is a real pain for the hexes and station tokens. The type of laminate you use can make it easier though, if its the kind that is sticky on both sides and you can print then cut. My local print shops charge per cut so hellll no don't ask them to do a bunch of hexes lol.

If you’re punching that many holes you should buy a 10-20mm hole punch. Wish large hex punches that aren’t expensive die cutters were also a thing

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
So SHUX is coming up in less than a month, and myself + my SO are going (well, and a friend we're meeting in the city). I've been to conventions before like E3, PAX, and Gencon, but as far as I can tell, SHUX is much more, like...social? Usually I've just wandered around the market/show floor and go to events, but I'm getting the feeling that SHUX is more oriented around sitting down and playing games with others and such. Am I correct in this assumption? Also, anything I should know about it to prepare for the whole thing?

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

GrandpaPants posted:

Was Founders of Gloomhaven not a good game? I read the rules once upon a time, but couldn't really get a sense for how it played.

I like it! It feels like a prototype rather than a finished fame but it really scratches a logistics itch for me.

It's a shame that games last a good three hours and that long periods of that are spent having a headache

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
You train nerds made me buy Irish Gauge so I can at least get babies first 18XX to the table occasionally. I hope you're happy.:colbert:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Morpheus posted:

So SHUX is coming up in less than a month, and myself + my SO are going (well, and a friend we're meeting in the city). I've been to conventions before like E3, PAX, and Gencon, but as far as I can tell, SHUX is much more, like...social? Usually I've just wandered around the market/show floor and go to events, but I'm getting the feeling that SHUX is more oriented around sitting down and playing games with others and such. Am I correct in this assumption? Also, anything I should know about it to prepare for the whole thing?

These cons can be hit or miss with people you meet and game with, but I suggest if you click with anyone in gaming taste + personality you exchange contact info so you can set up games the rest of the con. I’ve made great friends and got in a lot of good gaming this way as opposed to always hoping for the best of finding a good combo of games and people I’d want to play them with. I feel like a PNW/Canadian and SUSD crowd is going to be a lot better in the social aspect though, as opposed to something like Dice Tower con.

dromer
Aug 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
My go to for wooden tokens is furniture plugs. Get a hole punch, print the logos in adhesive paper and go to town

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
This is probably out of left field but can someone explain how one night ultimate werewolf works? I've watched videos on the rules and game flow but I can't wrap my head on any strategy. If your card can be switched prior to the game staring, how do you even know what to do?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

WHY BONER NOW posted:

This is probably out of left field but can someone explain how one night ultimate werewolf works? I've watched videos on the rules and game flow but I can't wrap my head on any strategy. If your card can be switched prior to the game staring, how do you even know what to do?

You perform the action of the role you were given at the beginning of the night. Doesn't matter if it's switched during the night, you still perform the role. At the end of the night, your card may have been switched, but there are no powers that activate after everyone has woken up so it doesn't matter.

Edit:

Okay so everyone looks at their roles and memorizes what they are.
Night phase begins, everyone closes their eyes.
Then in the order given by the app, or in the script of the instruction book, people perform their powers according to the roles given at the beginning of the night.
Afterwards, everyone wakes up.

At this point it doesn't matter what role you had at the beginning of the night, all that matters is what role is in front of you currently. Part of the day phase is simply finding out if you've been switched and if so, whom with. After X minutes you point at who you think should be lynched, and they reveal their card, showing whether or not the werewolf of villager team won. Then everyone else reveals their cards to see who they actually are.

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Sep 11, 2019

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Don’t use any of the roles that cause unknown randomness, that’s a big sin in a social deduction game. Roles that knowingly swap things or see hidden info are good because they add a layer to the puzzle and information for players to use.

In the base game and Daybreak don’t use these roles because they’re bad:

Doppelgänger: too much complication and time
Drunk: randomness
Alpha wolf: either unusable if it doesn’t create a majority or broken and gives the wolves 100% chance to win.
Village Idiot: just the worst garbage
Curator: more hassle and rules to teach than its worth

That leaves you with nothing but passive roles or roles with knowable information on some level that add to the game state instead of obfuscating it (overall).

As for strategy, I always open the wake up phase with something like “who has some information they’re willing to share to help the villagers?” As a villager, this is where you can start to build a trail of clues or try and catch a werewolf in a lie. As a werewolf, you can bluff and lie about your role and info at the risk of the actual role calling you out but unless their info can be corroborated it’s a stalemate of negotiation.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Sep 11, 2019

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Redundant posted:

You train nerds made me buy Irish Gauge so I can at least get babies first 18XX to the table occasionally. I hope you're happy.:colbert:

Once, after playing a game of Chicago Express and bringing up the topic of 18xx, said to my group that we'd never play 18xx. It was too much, it was too long. Everyone else agreed. Too long, we'd never find that fun. That was only a few years ago. Then I got 1846 sometime last year and I'm now in the process of making 2 different PNPs for 18xx.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Morpheus posted:

You perform the action of the role you were given at the beginning of the night. Doesn't matter if it's switched during the night, you still perform the role. At the end of the night, your card may have been switched, but there are no powers that activate after everyone has woken up so it doesn't matter.

Edit:

Okay so everyone looks at their roles and memorizes what they are.
Night phase begins, everyone closes their eyes.
Then in the order given by the app, or in the script of the instruction book, people perform their powers according to the roles given at the beginning of the night.
Afterwards, everyone wakes up.

At this point it doesn't matter what role you had at the beginning of the night, all that matters is what role is in front of you currently. Part of the day phase is simply finding out if you've been switched and if so, whom with. After X minutes you point at who you think should be lynched, and they reveal their card, showing whether or not the werewolf of villager team won. Then everyone else reveals their cards to see who they actually are.

Bottom Liner posted:

Don’t use any of the roles that cause unknown randomness, that’s a big sin in a social deduction game. Roles that knowingly swap things or see hidden info are good because they add a layer to the puzzle and information for players to use.

In the base game and Daybreak don’t use these roles because they’re bad:

Doppelgänger: too much complication and time
Drunk: randomness
Alpha wolf: either unusable if it doesn’t create a majority or broken and gives the wolves 100% chance to win.
Village Idiot: just the worst garbage
Curator: more hassle and rules to teach than its worth

That leaves you with nothing but passive roles or roles with knowable information on some level that add to the game state instead of obfuscating it (overall).

As for strategy, I always open the wake up phase with something like “who has some information they’re willing to share to help the villagers?” As a villager, this is where you can start to build a trail of clues or try and catch a werewolf in a lie. As a werewolf, you can bluff and lie about your role and info at the risk of the actual role calling you out but unless their info can be corroborated it’s a stalemate of negotiation.

Hmm, ok thanks guys. That makes a little more sense. The game sounds like it would be a good time with my family, so I grabbed it a while back but haven't had the chance to try it out yet.

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

DOG controls your destiny. Seek out three items of his favor and then seek his shrine.

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Hmm, ok thanks guys. That makes a little more sense. The game sounds like it would be a good time with my family, so I grabbed it a while back but haven't had the chance to try it out yet.

I've found it to be pretty reliably accessible to non-gamers. Since the rounds are so short if people mess up the first time its not a big deal. My favorite example of this was a very earnest friend who started the discussion with "Okay so I am the werewolf, what was everybody else?"

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Impermanent posted:

my wife and i use the code word 'cinematic' when discussing a game in front of people to indicate to each other that it looks like dogshit.

I forgot to quote this post yesterday, thanks for the lol

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Speaking of code words, does anyone else use them with friends while playing with strangers? My friend and I use "grim darkness" to mean "this game sucks, push towards the end as fast as possible" because we were playing Forbidden Stars and just couldn't stand it how tit-for-tat it was becoming.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Just got a message that my copy of the "Key Market" reprint should be here by Friday :toot:

Time to watch the Gaming Rules! video that came out today.

Really looking forward to it and hope I can get a 4 player game in next week.

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

Bottom Liner posted:

These cons can be hit or miss with people you meet and game with, but I suggest if you click with anyone in gaming taste + personality you exchange contact info so you can set up games the rest of the con. I’ve made great friends and got in a lot of good gaming this way as opposed to always hoping for the best of finding a good combo of games and people I’d want to play them with. I feel like a PNW/Canadian and SUSD crowd is going to be a lot better in the social aspect though, as opposed to something like Dice Tower con.

You are both extremely correct. Just find a game and have fun and if you can't, find a balloon, set up a game and fun will find you.

My only big tip: for the love of god don't eat at the mall food court all weekend. Good food is only 4-5 blocks away and I don't mean all the cactus clubs. Eat dinner elsewhere, invite your new games friends.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Selecta84 posted:

Just got a message that my copy of the "Key Market" reprint should be here by Friday :toot:

Time to watch the Gaming Rules! video that came out today.

Really looking forward to it and hope I can get a 4 player game in next week.

Hopefully this means they get the US copies on a ship before the UK crashes out of the EU.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Redundant posted:

Personally I think I'm keeping my eye on Northern Pacific as a baby train game.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

PerniciousKnid posted:

Seems like a pretty good summary of Phil Eklund, and libertarians in general.
Except they're somehow reading the rulebook from a completely different game to the rest of us.

The funniest quote from the podcast is Phil saying "I don't like the term Corporation, I prefer 'Cooperatives'".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I did have a libertarian once unironically insist that the best model for corporations is Mondragon so lol