Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

CornHolio posted:

You know what though, when the E60 came out everybody thought it was ugly, but it's aged pretty well. I think BMW is counting on it to be ugly now but crazy enough to be remembered in twenty years.

I don't like it, but I think I understand it. It's at least different and I respect that.

Is it different?

Really?

Because it looks to me like BMW's just getting with the program.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

bout fuckin time

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Powershift posted:

bout fuckin time

:hfive: I had one for about 10 years:

(not my car, but it was a black '59 Ranger like that one - I don't have any of the pictures of it scanned.)

It began having problems faster than I could deal with them and was just parked in the garage for the last 5 years or so.

I loved driving it around while I could. I found I didn't have the time or the expertise needed to keep it going. Having heart surgery and a stroke slowed me down a bit, too.

I'm feeling better now and would love to have it back.

I had my physics students weigh it by pushing it at constant force several times. Time to cover a set distance at a series of constant forces produced series of accelerations. A plot then of Force versus acceleration then had a slope of mass and they nailed it at about 3500 lbs.

Loved it. Props to you. Keep it in good service and have a blast.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I don't have one, this is the car news thread.

My car is 5125lbs and would have made your physics students choose another subject.

Glad you're feeling better. My Lincoln is drat near the last thing I have left after dealing with my own Heath troubles. I'll be buried in it before I sell it.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

i own every Bionicle posted:

Most people lost their poo poo at all the Bangle cars and it makes sense...it was a wildly different look on a car with a rich heritage. They haven’t aged poorly but the e46/e39 have aged a lot better.

But I also remember seeing an e90 in person for the first time and thinking that it really looked much better than the pictures implied so I 100% believe drgitlin that it looks great in person.

The grill is way less offensive than the one on the current 7 Series or the X7.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Like dysentery is less offensive than Ebola.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Imagine that BMW with a M1 nose complete with popups.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

The question now is what current car has the smallest grille/fascia?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Y'know I've never actually studied a photo of this head on. If you've ever used any 3D modeling software or maybe stuff like illustrator you can adjust individual control points on shapes to adjust them. The grille and lights on this look like the designer clicked 4 points on the lights and then 2 on the grille and hit the scale option and adjusted it down to pull it all inward.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Is it different?

Really?

Because it looks to me like BMW's just getting with the program.

I agree about the Lexus, but honestly Audi somehow managed to put that huge grill on a car and still make the car look boring. I don't know how they did it. It shouldn't be boring, but it's like they cast a spell on the design to suck any enjoyment out of looking at it.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

CornHolio posted:

I agree about the Lexus, but honestly Audi somehow managed to put that huge grill on a car and still make the car look boring. I don't know how they did it. It shouldn't be boring, but it's like they cast a spell on the design to suck any enjoyment out of looking at it.

Audi are the masters of boring looking cars, it's like the designer decided to run with the 'boring, efficient Germans' stereotype.

Audi have one great looking car and that's the RS Avant estate/wagon.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I've warmed to the Lexus grille. Much depends on the model, but when you see them in real life they look pretty different and cool. But I like different looking cars that aren't super popular. Probably why I own Alfa Romeos (which some people find extremely ugly).

Not mine but very similar.

I really like this now:

At bit of a long shot but: I think car design is a bit like how some people look. There are people that you find very attractive the moment you first see them, but then you realize that there are no real interesting features so they become a bit "meh" after a short while. Then there are people who aren't immediately very attractive, but the more you look at them, the more interesting details you find and they become more and more attractive the longer you look. For me, many BMW's are very much the first type. Alfa Romeo and Lexus (among many others) tend to fall in the second category for me.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

smooth jazz posted:

The question now is what current car has the smallest grille/fascia?
Tesla Model 3? :v:

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Powershift posted:

I don't have one, this is the car news thread.

My car is 5125lbs and would have made your physics students choose another subject.

Glad you're feeling better. My Lincoln is drat near the last thing I have left after dealing with my own Heath troubles. I'll be buried in it before I sell it.

:doh:

Thought I was reading the Post Your Ride and you had just gotten one.

I'm actually not completely stupid, I just act that way sometimes.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Lexus front ends grew on me, I still don't like that the LED bit on the lights is disconnected from the rest of the light. Kind of makes it looked tacked on.

I'm a huge Audi fanboy when it comes to their aesthetic. It's clean (boring to some i think) and efficient design and their headlight/tailight game is always on point. Gimme an A7.

BMW is hit or miss. A lot of the cars look bloat-y to me with some lines thrown in. It starts to look alright when you get to the M versions and the fenders are WIIIDE, but other cars just look like a dented can that's inflated now. The new M4 coupe concept looks A LOT like the Q60 to me.

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Sep 11, 2019

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
the Audi isnt pretending to be exciting while the Lexus and BMW are tryharding as gently caress

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Proud Christian Mom posted:

the Audi isnt pretending to be exciting while the Lexus and BMW are tryharding as gently caress

Audi tries hard in otherwise, like making routine maintenance as expensive and complicated as an F1 car.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

LeeMajors posted:

Audi tries hard in otherwise, like making routine maintenance as expensive and complicated as an F1 car.
I remember when a headlight burned out on my S4, I figured i'd just replace it myself until I read the manual and replacing the bulb required putting the car up on a hoist, removing the front tire on the side with the burned out bulb, removing the fender liner, and loosening the front bumper.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Lol if you think Audi styling is exciting

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Mr. Apollo posted:

I remember when a headlight burned out on my S4, I figured i'd just replace it myself until I read the manual and replacing the bulb required putting the car up on a hoist, removing the front tire on the side with the burned out bulb, removing the fender liner, and loosening the front bumper.

That's honestly not all unusual on most car brands today.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
F1 cars are designed to be quickly assembled and repaired though.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I feel like I might be able to get used to that hideous grill on the M4 if it weren't for the thing where the hood has ridges leading to the pig nose. Something about the way that works visually just visually repulses me.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Audi have one great looking car and that's the RS Avant estate/wagon.

Two great looking cars. The RS6 Avant and the RS7 Sportback.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

drgitlin posted:

Two great looking cars. The RS6 Avant and the RS7 Sportback.

Aight, I'll give you that.

fknlo posted:

I feel like I might be able to get used to that hideous grill on the M4 if it weren't for the thing where the hood has ridges leading to the pig nose. Something about the way that works visually just visually repulses me.

I played around with the front end in gimp and making the bonnet smoother just makes it look enormous so that was a conscious decision to fold it up origami style. Admittedly the photo is bumper height so that doesn't help but still. It definitely doesn't have many great angles but that front is honestly badddddddddd. I feel like the designer was in a Mr Burns/Don Mattingly sideburns scenario and just had to go all out with the kidneys.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

The worst bits of it are the grille 'girdle' type thing and the side vents.

Its like someone completely different came in and doodled on a front fascia. The rest of the car is great, and the rear is quite a good update on the banglebutt.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

fknlo posted:

I really like the R8, TBH.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Frond posted:

F1 cars are designed to be quickly assembled and repaired though.

Ok an F355 does that make you feel better?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

:siren: The new Defender has a front jump seat option, making it cool again.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

I like the looks of the e-tron GT. It's only a concept, but then we're comparing it with a BMW concept so I think that's fair.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Audi has had some of the best design work in the industry over the past decade or so, their vehicles visually age well and are generally nicer looking in person than their competitors. There's a reason Audi design gets ripped off so much, they set trends in a way BMW and Lexus just don't.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
4/10

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Audis are a bland compensation package die middle managers

dk2m
May 6, 2009
I used to lust after the 08 era RS4 but then again, I’m a genuine fan of the design language of the Pontiac GTO so I think I just like clean and conservative designs

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

MrOnBicycle posted:

I've warmed to the Lexus grille. Much depends on the model, but when you see them in real life they look pretty different and cool.

The predator grille works on the newest Lexuses, and not the ones where it was grafted on in a mid-cycle refresh. The most offensive application of the Lexus predator grille is the GX, where it's vulgar and it ruins the approach/departure angles.

Lexus's most controversial moves in recent years - the predator grille, the dumbass trackpad-based infotainment, the LS redesign - make sense when you view it through the lens of a brand desperately trying to avoid becoming the new Buick. The average age of the buyers of Lexus's core products, the RX and the ES, are 65 and 67 respectively.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Rumor is the new FCA straight six has its timing chain on the rear of the engine. I guess they want to give their customers the Audi experience with Italian American flare.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
The timing chain is on the back of newer bmw motors too

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Hello, they're timing chains and you'll never have to service them!

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Tekne posted:

Rumor is the new FCA straight six has its timing chain on the rear of the engine. I guess they want to give their customers the Audi experience with Italian American flare.

A timing chain is supposed to last the life of the engine, so this shouldn't be any problem at all.

A timing belt on the back on an engine that needs to be replaced regularly is a different matter.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Oh, i'm sure the chain will be perfectly fine.

The guides, tensioner, and pulleys on the other hand....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

fknlo posted:

Hello, they're timing chains and you'll never have to service them!

But uh oh they made the chain guides out of cheese! Guess we’re gonna have to pull the motor tee hee!