Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

What are some DAWs to try out if I dont already have one? I've heard of ableton and fl studio, are there some others I should check out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keptbroom
Sep 10, 2009
Reaper
Free for personal use and real cheap if you like it enough to buy it. I like it more than Cubase, which is the only other DAW I've tried. The included plugins are all decent as well.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
reaper is good

and you can just download and use it forever without paying for it, and nothing bad will happen (other than nagging you at start-up)

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
The acoustic guitar in this Taylor Swift song sounds odd (I think). Is their some kind of effect being applied to it or am I just hearing things?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WA4iX5D9Z64

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
Couple things: My guess is they recorded the guitar part and then had a reverse part they spliced on beat 4. They might have also layered the original with the reversed notes. It's also a heavily chopped part in a very robotic way and almost a bit out of phase? There is a fair bit going on.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

There's no attack to it, the notes just ring out without the initial loud strum - they might have done it with a finely tuned compressor, or just gone in and messed with it in the DAW (maybe just by snipping off the attack portion and fading in quickly)

you can get kind of a similar effect by hitting the strings with the palm of your hand, if you do it the right way (pretty softly) you don't get much thump and the strings just kinda ring out gently

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Aug 23, 2019

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Could it be a be a guitar VST?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

it could be, there's so much production on it that it ends up sounding artificial anyway, they're basically not going for any of the natural sound at all

but it still sounds like some sneaks in, like at around 0:17 the top note has a bit of a... rattle to it. They could have used a VST and made it sound more organic, but honestly I feel like it's more likely someone just played acoustic guitar in the studio and then they went at it in the DAW

Solomon Gumball
Jul 24, 2019
Is there a headphone/studio monitor thread? I swore there was. I'm lookin for something that really clasps in the $100-150 range. I've had Sennheiser 280HD Pros and Audio Technica ATH-90Xs which were fine but really didn't grip to my head. I want something that will give me an even mix and squeeze my loving brains out. Any ideas?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
I'm not sure if this is the right thread for this, but hopefully if it isn't you'll know where I should look.

I want to make a clean version of the old Jeopardy! 'unveiling the board' noise, as heard here. Just throwing the file into Audacity and using 'remove noise' isn't going to do the trick, though, and none of my Googling has turned up a cleaner version. I believe that what I'm going to need to do is identify both the 'instrument' being used to play the tones and the actual notes being played and construct the sound from scratch, but I don't even know where to begin. Any suggestions?

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

i listened on my phone so there might be more going on, but it sounds to me like it's just two sine tones being played, one as a pedal and the other jumping around a scale. should be relatively easy to recreate in basically any daw that takes midi. in audacity or audition it might be more work because you'd have to generate the tones and then chop them up, but still doable.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

the synth thread might also be good for nailing the exact timbre, and they might be able to point you at some free plugin that'll do it for ya

Solomon Gumball posted:

Is there a headphone/studio monitor thread? I swore there was. I'm lookin for something that really clasps in the $100-150 range. I've had Sennheiser 280HD Pros and Audio Technica ATH-90Xs which were fine but really didn't grip to my head. I want something that will give me an even mix and squeeze my loving brains out. Any ideas?

think there used to be a general studio thread, but there's a headphone one in IYG, you'll probably get some good advice if you say you want to mix on them

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

FredMSloniker posted:

I want to make a clean version of the old Jeopardy! 'unveiling the board' noise, as heard here. Just throwing the file into Audacity and using 'remove noise' isn't going to do the trick, though, and none of my Googling has turned up a cleaner version. I believe that what I'm going to need to do is identify both the 'instrument' being used to play the tones and the actual notes being played and construct the sound from scratch, but I don't even know where to begin. Any suggestions?

The instrument is just a sinewave/filtered squarewave that you can make with Synth1. For the notes, you can use this guide.

These fall under the "old timey computer-like sounds" like the random beeps in Star Trek TOS, so they might not align with actual notes.

In synthesis, there's something called "sample and hold" (S&H). If you S&H a noise source, you get a "stepped" signal. It's like throwing a pair of dice every second and moving the knob to the position the dice indicate; but you only hear it abruptly, not gradually. That's how this was likely made.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Not sure if this should go here or the guitar thread, but this seemed more appropriate.

Bought a Taylor Academy 12e a little over a month ago. Wanted a hard case as well to protect it. The case comes in and is way too big for the guitar. I take it back and show a different salesman the problem. He looks and tells me because the 12e is a weird shape the only option is to just go oversize and then put padding in to stop it rattling around.

Fast forward to this weekend. I was at a different store for an unrelated reason and thought to ask someone here. I told the acoustic guy the story and he said, "Buy this. Its tight, but it fits."

What gives?

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
well, it seems like that guy was bullshitting you lol

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Unfortunately, a large portion of music store salespeople have no loving idea what they're talking about.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Well the thing is I'm not sure which of them is full of poo poo. I may just have to take the guitar in and try out cases. I was just hoping someone knew about the 12e specifically and could set the record straight and maybe recommend a case.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Travic posted:

Well the thing is I'm not sure which of them is full of poo poo. I may just have to take the guitar in and try out cases. I was just hoping someone knew about the 12e specifically and could set the record straight and maybe recommend a case.

Specs say it's a "Grand Concert" body style, so be sure you throw that in for any searches you do. It looks like Taylor makes one, but it's $200

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/300116--taylor-deluxe-hardshell-grand-concert-case

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Scarf posted:

Specs say it's a "Grand Concert" body style, so be sure you throw that in for any searches you do. It looks like Taylor makes one, but it's $200

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/300116--taylor-deluxe-hardshell-grand-concert-case

Ouch. I'll save up for that then. Thanks.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Travic posted:

Ouch. I'll save up for that then. Thanks.

Don't give up, you may find cheaper, but still quality options. I'd be shocked if SKB and Gator didn't make cases for 000/Grand Concert guitars!

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

Taylor makes a few different body shapes that won't always fit 100% in a dreadnaught case (it's what the third number refers to in the series ex. 312 814 etc.). Some are tighter in different places. The first person might've not had one available or didn't know which would fit and was trying to find a compromise. The second might be wrong but it's easier to find a classical case at most music stores to test it. The bottom will be snug in that one I think if I'm remembering right.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Thanks. Hopefully it hasn't been too long and they'll let me trade it in. Which would be a win-win because the case they sent...well...

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I have a small mobile shotgun microphone set up with the hopes to get into videography. I stalled on that idea and now I'm recording nature for relaxation/white noise. Is there a thread to get feedback and ideas? I know this forum is mostly music based, but I can't think of a more specific place to post. I guess I can continue to post my small questions here if there is a lack of interest.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

I mean here is as good as any place to talk about it.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Few things come to mind. First one is youtube is poo poo at uploading quality audio. I spent the time uploading a 6 hour loop and it was filled with compression artifacts. Went to soundcloud. This is the original 12 minutes, with a bit of gain to get to -6dB.

I guess relax and listen. Don't start it with the intention of immediately listening or expecting a direction. Tell me what you hear. Tell me if its distracting or not. Is the high pass filter set low enough? Does the trickling water enhance the overall sound? I think it does but I don't know if this is objectively good for relaxation. What am I focusing on too much, what do I need to pay closer attention to?

https://soundcloud.com/background_sound/shore-waves

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

um excuse me posted:

Few things come to mind. First one is youtube is poo poo at uploading quality audio. I spent the time uploading a 6 hour loop and it was filled with compression artifacts. Went to soundcloud. This is the original 12 minutes, with a bit of gain to get to -6dB.

I guess relax and listen. Don't start it with the intention of immediately listening or expecting a direction. Tell me what you hear. Tell me if its distracting or not. Is the high pass filter set low enough? Does the trickling water enhance the overall sound? I think it does but I don't know if this is objectively good for relaxation. What am I focusing on too much, what do I need to pay closer attention to?

https://soundcloud.com/background_sound/shore-waves

sounds good to me, the distant gulls were a treat.

you're right to be picky about which codec you use for this, as most lossy ones are optimized for very different audio content

when should i listen for the trickling water? not sure what you mean.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I appreciate the input. The trickling water is the sound of the waves washing over a rocky area of a beach. most of it is on the second half of the track. It's intermittent, but if you didn't notice anything it's probably a good thing. I want to add contrast to make it interesting, but also not break the flow or feel, especially of someone is using it to center themselves.

Other ideas, some pretty stereotypical:

Rain on a few different surfaces
Frogs
Crickets
Thunderstorm
Wind chimes
Hiking footsteps
Highway noise both from the side of the road and driving
Birds singing
City noise

Any other idea would be great. I'd like to stay away from ASMR type stuff.

ploots
Mar 19, 2010
When I was a clueless college student I bought an oddball tube amp from a consignment shop. It's been gathering dust in my closet for a couple of years and I'd like to sell it. I did some googling and it turns out the amp is pretty rare.

How do I go about selling a piece of equipment that is valuable to the small number of people who would recognize it? Should I post it on ebay or another site? Take it in to a local guitar shop?

e: Is there a better thread for me to ask this question in?

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Electoral Surgery posted:

e: Is there a better thread for me to ask this question in?

You could ask in one of the guitar threads. Perhaps the stickied guitar thread.

Probably you want to list it on Reverb yourself.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Any recommendations on mobile (Android) apps or DAWs that would be good scratchpads for Vaporwave stuff? I guess the genre doesn't totally matter, though obviously with VW, I'm not looking to mimic real, performing musicians during a given track, so I don't need realistic drums, guitars, etc.

I have Caustic, I'm going to look more into it, since I never really took it seriously before, but if there's something out there that works way better, I'm all ears (:smug:). I'm working on a lengthy vaporwave project and realized that lately, I haven't been able to get into my studio at home nearly as often as I'd like, but often find myself away from it, with my phone, with time to spare, so I'd prefer to be at least somewhat productive during those times.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
I haven’t used it in some time but the Korg Gadget was my go to sketch pad when traveling. I think it’s available on a bunch of platforms- even the Switch.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

PoizenJam posted:

I haven’t used it in some time but the Korg Gadget was my go to sketch pad when traveling. I think it’s available on a bunch of platforms- even the Switch.

drat, I wish this was on Android :smith:

the numa numa song
Oct 3, 2006

Even though
I'm better than you
I am not
The amp thread seems to be a bit...beyond the scope of my rookie question, so here it goes:

A coworker (guitar) and I (keyboard) have been getting together and playing covers for fun every Saturday, and it's going pretty well. Since my home Yamaha is weighted and built into a stand, I bought a new keyboard to take to his house. Originally the plan was just to forego my laptop (full of paid-for virtual instruments and plugins) for the keyboard's onboard voices and let limitation breed creativity, but from the moment I started toying with the AUX input, that all went out the window. So my current loadout looks like this:

It's janky as hell but it works. Mostly. (Reaper has a weird habit of "losing" this keyboard.) And it doesn't sound too bad. But now with Reaper at my disposal, we started practicing with basic drum tracks I whipped up on the spot. Now I'm adding bass and effects, and...basically making complete backing tracks. It's pretty cool. It's early times, but if we were to hypothetically take this to a live setting, we would then need to incorporate microphones. Which I can run, of course, straight into the interface. Suddenly these little dinky keyboard speakers are carrying a lot of weight.

If I'd taken one more week to think about it, I might have foreseen this clown show unfolding and bought the right tool for the job. Instead I'm stuck with a boat of a keyboard with a tremendous array of buttons that, in this context, not only do nothing but actually endanger my precarious setup if I so much as graze the wrong one at the wrong time. (I threw out the box because I'm on a hot streak of horrible decisions, so I think a return is out the question. There's always Craigslist.)

So if when I get a proper MIDI controller, an amp must come with it, though I'm hesitant to buy another big lumbering thing. Also, I haven't played with a live band in over a decade and even then knew nothing about amps, so I'm a little intimidated by the prospect.

At first glance, the Behringer Ultratone K108 looks appealing. But I see it's 15 watt, 8". Not...very much more than the speakers I already have? (Right??) The guitarist's biggest rig is a VOX practice amp of similar size. We're not trying to blow the doors off, but if we ended up playing at a friend's house or something, could the little Behringer hold up with my active instrument + backing track + vocals all coming out of it?

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.
Nm, misunderstood the question.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

the numa numa song posted:

The amp thread seems to be a bit...beyond the scope of my rookie question, so here it goes:

A coworker (guitar) and I (keyboard) have been getting together and playing covers for fun every Saturday, and it's going pretty well. Since my home Yamaha is weighted and built into a stand, I bought a new keyboard to take to his house. Originally the plan was just to forego my laptop (full of paid-for virtual instruments and plugins) for the keyboard's onboard voices and let limitation breed creativity, but from the moment I started toying with the AUX input, that all went out the window. So my current loadout looks like this:

It's janky as hell but it works. Mostly. (Reaper has a weird habit of "losing" this keyboard.) And it doesn't sound too bad. But now with Reaper at my disposal, we started practicing with basic drum tracks I whipped up on the spot. Now I'm adding bass and effects, and...basically making complete backing tracks. It's pretty cool. It's early times, but if we were to hypothetically take this to a live setting, we would then need to incorporate microphones. Which I can run, of course, straight into the interface. Suddenly these little dinky keyboard speakers are carrying a lot of weight.

If I'd taken one more week to think about it, I might have foreseen this clown show unfolding and bought the right tool for the job. Instead I'm stuck with a boat of a keyboard with a tremendous array of buttons that, in this context, not only do nothing but actually endanger my precarious setup if I so much as graze the wrong one at the wrong time. (I threw out the box because I'm on a hot streak of horrible decisions, so I think a return is out the question. There's always Craigslist.)

So if when I get a proper MIDI controller, an amp must come with it, though I'm hesitant to buy another big lumbering thing. Also, I haven't played with a live band in over a decade and even then knew nothing about amps, so I'm a little intimidated by the prospect.

At first glance, the Behringer Ultratone K108 looks appealing. But I see it's 15 watt, 8". Not...very much more than the speakers I already have? (Right??) The guitarist's biggest rig is a VOX practice amp of similar size. We're not trying to blow the doors off, but if we ended up playing at a friend's house or something, could the little Behringer hold up with my active instrument + backing track + vocals all coming out of it?

e: forgot to mention up front, i think its really funny to hijack the onboard speakers of your keyboard like that

you should get something with legit onboard sound processing. i'm just laughing about a guy playing keys in an showgaze band, getting badgered by noisy update notifications in the middle of a show

this keyboard player i like uses a Roland KC 550 at shows (dont remember what keyboard model he uses). i got one for myself, and I mostly use it as a bass guitar amp. it's huge, so that might rule it out for you, but it has an aux port, so you might be able to just run the headphone jack on your PC

e: forgot to mention, it can mix 4 additional signals, so you could do vox thru it

Helianthus Annuus fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Sep 25, 2019

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Anyone have any guides to setting up MainStage they like? Both the physical and digital sides

the numa numa song
Oct 3, 2006

Even though
I'm better than you
I am not

Helianthus Annuus posted:

e: forgot to mention up front, i think its really funny to hijack the onboard speakers of your keyboard like that
There is certainly pleasure in forcing poo poo to work that has no business working.

you should get something with legit onboard sound processing. i'm just laughing about a guy playing keys in an showgaze band, getting badgered by noisy update notifications in the middle of a show
All you gotta do (in Windows anyway) is change the audio device to the default and hit mute. Reaper, at least on my machine, exclusively plays out through the Audiobox ASIO no matter what audio device Windows is using, so just mute everything else. I'm sure I'll still forget to do this on the day of my first public performance in over a decade.

e: In fact what is profoundly more likely is that I will graze a "Groove Creator" button on the Yamaha which will override the "mute onboard sound" setting and immediately play a canned Latin funk groove over whatever I have the plugins doing. This has already happened once in practice.

this keyboard player i like uses a Roland KC 550 at shows (dont remember what keyboard model he uses). i got one for myself, and I mostly use it as a bass guitar amp. it's huge, so that might rule it out for you, but it has an aux port, so you might be able to just run the headphone jack on your PC
I mean if I ever grow up and play in real bands at real places maybe.

the numa numa song fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Sep 26, 2019

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Hey guys, I'm a brass musician and my son wants to play the electric guitar.

I've got exactly 0 experience with strings. Can somebody give me an idea of what's a good brand/price to pay? Also, exactly what he needs to get started?

Thanks.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Do you have a budget in mind?
The general consensus over in the guitar thread(you should post this question over there too) is a Squier Custom Vibe(CV) Telecaster or Stratocaster.

What kind of music does he want to play?

At bare minimum you'd need a guitar an amp a cable and some picks. Other stuff nice to have would be a strap of some sort and a tuner there's lots of cheap clip on tuners on the market that work perfectly fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Thumposaurus posted:

Do you have a budget in mind?
The general consensus over in the guitar thread(you should post this question over there too) is a Squier Custom Vibe(CV) Telecaster or Stratocaster.

What kind of music does he want to play?

At bare minimum you'd need a guitar an amp a cable and some picks. Other stuff nice to have would be a strap of some sort and a tuner there's lots of cheap clip on tuners on the market that work perfectly fine.

Oops, I didn't see the guitar thread.

He really likes older rock (ac/dc, alice cooper, black sabbath, etc).

Budget is just whatever the minimum is for a decent beginner set. I'm a musician so I understand that some things you just have to pay a bit more for.