Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

I find it difficult to see that scene as anything other than Serizawa transforming into a Godzilla.

Thematically that's 100% what's happening. Serizawa is Godzilla now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Similarly to how in the last one, Bryan Cranston becomes Godzilla.

Humans in kaiju movies are best read allegorically.

And I don't mind the whizbang GI Joe setup because honestly that's pretty much what you'd need to have the same group of people able to track and follow Kaiju all over the world.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm rewatching KoTM again and I do find it kinda funny how she explains how slaying dragons is a Western concept but we definitely gotta slay this dragon, Gidorah.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Detective No. 27 posted:

I'm rewatching KoTM again and I do find it kinda funny how she explains how slaying dragons is a Western concept but we definitely gotta slay this dragon, Gidorah.

Even funnier in this context, Godzilla was always meant to be a more Western style dragon (for obvious, OBVIOUS reasons) while Ghidorah was VERY clearly based on Eastern Dragons

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Legendary Godzilla kinda reminds me of those great pot bellied Polish style dragons.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Funny enough those slavic dragons actually do defend people from storm monsters.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I don't mind the whizbang GI Joe setup because honestly that's pretty much what you'd need to have the same group of people able to track and follow Kaiju all over the world.

They could just use normal cars and planes. Or multiple teams of people.

It’s a big gaff, because transportation is important. With the previous film, I can say “school bus” and you know the setpiece I’m talking about. Airport. Train tunnel. HALO jump. Monorail. There’s a very heavy focus on distance, and the difficulty of crossing it.

It’s the case on other films too. The best part of Godzilla 2000 was of course the Toyota deployed by the Godzilla Prediction Network.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

I love the flashing lights closeup shot/teeny tiny emergency services vehicle reveal in shin

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Yeah KOTM is really a Showa era G film made in the USA with a big rear end budget.

too bad it sucks

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I basically fell asleep during KotM

Tried watching OG Godzilla and the first thirty minutes draaaaaaaagged

Got through Shin Godzilla pretty well, all things considered

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Yeah KOTM is really a Showa era G film made in the USA with a big rear end budget.

KOTM is a Showa movie with all the fun and imaginary drained out of it. I don't know how it was possible to make a movie with 4 of the best giant monsters ever so loving boring.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

dentist toy box posted:

KOTM is a Showa movie with all the fun and imaginary drained out of it. I don't know how it was possible to make a movie with 4 of the best giant monsters ever so loving boring.

Easy: you make it 2.5 hours

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I could not help but notice how every big fight repeats the cliche of a monster about to chomp down on a human, only to get blindsided by another monster at the last second.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Vinylshadow posted:

I basically fell asleep during KotM

Tried watching OG Godzilla and the first thirty minutes draaaaaaaagged

Got through Shin Godzilla pretty well, all things considered

OG Godzilla is very much an apocalyptic mood piece more than an actual kaiju film. It's really not like any of the stuff that came along afterwards.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Halloween Jack posted:

I could not help but notice how every big fight repeats the cliche of a monster about to chomp down on a human, only to get blindsided by another monster at the last second.

The fights aren't even very good. There's nothing really memorable in any of them.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

dentist toy box posted:

The fights aren't even very good. There's nothing really memorable in any of them.

Rodan doing that barrel roll and Ghidorah and Godzilla getting supercharged in their own cool ways are both memorable.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Basebf555 posted:

OG Godzilla is very much an apocalyptic mood piece more than an actual kaiju film. It's really not like any of the stuff that came along afterwards.

That's why it's still the best G film. Shin is the only thing that kind of comes close. G v Hedorah has many moments of this as well.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

dentist toy box posted:

Have hack writers who are even worse than Max Borenstein take over the script

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Imagine not liking KOTM. What a hideous existence

Violator
May 15, 2003

I feel bad for the director. He seems like a really nice guy, he’s talented and I like his past work, and he obviously is a super fan who loves the material. It just seems like he picked the wrong elements to build on for this movie.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

dentist toy box posted:

There's the triple Ghidorah bite, Godzilla stupidly aiming for the heads of Ghidorah and completely missing, Rodan swooping in on Mothra, Mothra loving with Ghidorah using string shot which leads into Godzilla appearing in the building reflection, Mothra shanking Rodan...

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Violator posted:

I feel bad for the director. He seems like a really nice guy, he’s talented and I like his past work, and he obviously is a super fan who loves the material. It just seems like he picked the wrong elements to build on for this movie.

He seems fine about it. And is clearly proud of his work.

In short he don’t give a gently caress and made a sincere film as opposed to something made by a committee of screeching movie goers.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

There's definite signs of focus testing. And the junk science isn't great. But I enjoyed the movie. Godzilla 2014 is ultimately a better movie though.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

CelticPredator posted:

In short he don’t give a gently caress and made a sincere film as opposed to something made by a committee of screeching movie goers.

How would you define the term "sincere" in this context?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

CelticPredator posted:

wait I had assumed it was a joke but now with the above post, was this:

CelticPredator posted:

Imagine not liking KOTM. What a hideous existence
completely unironic?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The movie loving owns.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

The Golden Gael posted:

There's the triple Ghidorah bite, Godzilla stupidly aiming for the heads of Ghidorah and completely missing, Rodan swooping in on Mothra, Mothra loving with Ghidorah using string shot which leads into Godzilla appearing in the building reflection, Mothra shanking Rodan...

All of that was done on the most boring way possible. The mothra, Godzilla, building could have been an epic scene but instead it's this super quick blip that quickly moves on to something else with little consequence.

The best scenes in the movie is the intro and it's aping a much better movie.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

CelticPredator posted:

The movie loving owns.
imagine thinking kotm is more than just okay with a bucket full of caveats, what an oblivious existence

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I should really rewatch kotm so I can separate my feelings for it from the "real imax for the first time in years" feeling.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
*watches ken watanabe verbally atomic bomb with his fortune cookie joke before literally atomic bombing godzilla*

"if you do not like this, this high cinema, pinnacle of the art form, you are a wretch"

wdarkk posted:

I should really rewatch kotm so I can separate my feelings for it from the "real imax for the first time in years" feeling.
the monster scenes were absolutely made for the biggest screen possible so I'd say it'd suffer if it was on a small screen, but if you've got a gigantic tv it might do the trick

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

KOTM is a movie that I really want to like but it keeps sabotaging itself at every turn.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Captain Invictus posted:

the monster scenes were absolutely made for the biggest screen possible so I'd say it'd suffer if it was on a small screen, but if you've got a gigantic tv it might do the trick

The biggest screen I own is a 27" 4k computer monitor so I'm gonna have to mash my face against it.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Captain Invictus posted:

The compositions actually work ‘best’ on a phone screen, because then your eyes don’t have to scan as much surface area to figure out what the hell the focal point is supposed to be.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
KOTM is not a good movie, but can be enjoyable depending on how much you appreciate the concept of fanservice and the actual fanservice that the film attempts to deliver.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
KOTM has elements of a good movie buried under a trainwreck of a screenplay.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Considering that only three, or arguably four, of the Japanese Godzilla films could be considered capital C cinema and the rest are fun kids films a whole lot of you have some kind of elevated view of them. The Japanese G fans I’ve spoken to and their friends seem to really like KOTM and say it reminds them of the Showa movies

Edit: actually 5. G vs MG was up there as well

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

KOTM is even worse than a one-off bad movie, it actually dismantled some solid world-building done in G14 and Skull Island.

Just an anecdote, however - I took my family members to this in theaters and they actually had a nice time! Makes me suspect the decent Cinemascore is accurate.

I only speak as a fan who enjoys these movies despite harsh, objective criticism.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I went into KOTM expecting silly fun and some cool action scenes and even by that standard it was disappointing. The human characters universally suck and drag down the film any they're on screen and they keep on hogging the screentime all the way through the actual showdown between Godzilla and Ghidorah. Like Ghidorah repeatedly failing to destroy single unarmed civilians even as he blows up entire buildings and streets around them, what a way to end a film!

The actual cinematography of the fighting is a chaotic mess too and again suffers from having to constantly cut back to the humans before we can ever see a monster do more than one thing. It's just so much worse than Godzilla 2014 on every level it hurts.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Considering that only three, or arguably four, of the Japanese Godzilla films could be considered capital C cinema and the rest are fun kids films a whole lot of you have some kind of elevated view of them. The Japanese G fans I’ve spoken to and their friends seem to really like KOTM and say it reminds them of the Showa movies

Edit: actually 5. G vs MG was up there as well

Yeah, most G movies are cheap schlock. I think I am more in love with the visuals and design than any story from these movies minus the decent movies and then god-tier G54, G14 and Shin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

KOTM is even worse than a one-off bad movie, it actually dismantled some solid world-building done in G14 and Skull Island.

"World building" isn't real and there isn't a single franchise that doesn't discard/mutate both thematic and plot elements from one film to another.