Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Next time I'm home I'll dig up my grandfathers stuff. I still have a nazi flag he brought back, and a nazi typewriter as well as a bunch of photos of his time in the Army Artillery in WWII. When band of brothers came out we traced his whole trip I'll see if I still have that too but he was at Normandy for sure, and I think Market Garden, pretty sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
Hmm, I've never heard of Smyrna, an associated great fire nor any significant American military or civilian presence there. Let's look it up...

"Great fire of Smyrna posted:

The fire completely destroyed the Greek, Armenian, and Levantine quarters of the city, with only the Turkish and Jewish quarters surviving. The thriving port of Smyrna/Izmir, one of the most commercially active in the region, was burned to the ground. Some 150,000–200,000 Greek refugees were evacuated, while approximately 30,000 able-bodied Greek and Armenian men were deported to the interior, many of them dying under the harsh conditions or executed along the way. The 3,000 year Greek presence on Anatolia's Aegean shore was brought to an abrupt end, along with the Megali Idea. The Greek writer Dimitris Pentzopoulos wrote, "It is no exaggeration to call the year '1922' the most calamitous in modern Hellenic history."

:stare:

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Have something less of a downer, from when he was captain of the destroyer La Valette:

quote:

One beautiful and peaceful Saturday morning when the La Valette was moored to a buoy off Coronado, California, “Pipe Down” had just sounded after Captain’s Inspection, when it was discovered that a swarm of bees had settled on the forecastle hatch leading to the Chief Petty Officer’s quarters, and that any attempt to pass up or down was out of the question. I sent for the Boatswain’s Mate with the duty and said, “Pass the word, anyone knowing anything about bees report to the Captain on the double. Thereupon a young seaman came up and said he knew how to take care of the bees. I said, “That’s fine. What do you want to help you?” He said, “An empty wooden box, an empty sack, and a pair of leather gloves.” All of which were quickly procured and he went to work. First putting on the leather gloves, he very gently gathered up bees, using both hands together, and taking them from the top of the swarm, he put them slowly and gently in the box. This he kept doing until he uncovered the Queen Bee and when he put her in the box all the rest of the bees went into the box. He then pulled the empty sack over the box and took the swarm ashore, where he sold it for ten dollars. At no time did the bees sting him or any of the interested spectators and the Liberty Party left the ship on time.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Does he mention putting that man in for commendation, or did he figure that having balls that big was enough of a reward?

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Swarming honeybees usually aren't too aggressive. :10bux: in those days would have been a decent reward in itself I'd imagine.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

That is literally how the section on the La Valette ends. After that he talks about all the famous dudes that came from the region around the Dahlgren Naval Proving Grounds.

This is what he had to say about commendations while aboard the La Valette:

quote:

In August, 1926, I reported on board the United States destroyer La Valette as Captain. The La Valette was then at anchor in San Francisco Bay. I was detached in May, 1929. During this period the La Valette received the following awards:
Letter of Commendation from Commander-in-Chief of the U.S. Fleet for “High Morale of Crew.”
A second Letter of Commendation from Commander-in-Chief of the U.S. Fleet for “High Morale of Crew.”
Letter of Commendation from Commander-in-Chief of the U.S. Fleet for winning the Small Arms Trophy from all other destroyers in the Navy.
Letter of Commendation from the Secretary of the Navy for winning the Engineering Trophy from all destroyers in the U.S. Navy
Letter of Commendation from Commander-in-Chief, U.S. Navy for winning Fleet Athletic Trophy
Letter of Commendation from Commander Destroyers for Engineering Efficiency

I attribute this very fine record in a great part to Lieut. William Shanon Heath, U.S.N., the Executive Officer, and to Lieut., J.G., Thomas Templeton, U.S.N., the Engineering Officer of the U.S.S. La Valette.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

I got everything up to his assignment to the Raleigh transcribed today, which I'm estimating is about 75% of the overall document. One more funny bit before I go to bed, from his time as Executive Officer at Dahlgren Naval Proving Grounds:

quote:

Besides the problem of naval ballistics, there were many others to be solved. The government employees at Indian Head, Md., were largely of the Catholic faith and did not relish the idea of moving to Virginia which, in percentage, has the largest Protestant population of any state. Furthermore, they quite naturally disliked leaving their families and friends in Maryland. Some of those who moved, rather than give up their jobs, were very bitter and acrimonious in their language, which made them rather unpopular and created a social caste so that this Maryland group was not invited to parties given by the Virginia group.
There was one old lady of the Maryland group who had come down the Potomac from Indian Head with her son and every so often at night she would think that she was dying. Her son would call the Executive Officer (me) and ask him to obtain a priest as soon as possible. As there were no priests in the Virginia area, this meant phoning the Maryland shore at Morgantown to bring a priest to the dock, sending a boat across the Potomac, which is a mile wide at this point, to bring him to Dahlgren, having a car at the gun dock to meet the boat and then take the priest to the poor lady’s home. This happened more than once and when the Executive Officer eventually was ordered back to sea the old lady was still healthy.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

Elendil004 posted:

Next time I'm home I'll dig up my grandfathers stuff. I still have a nazi flag he brought back, and a nazi typewriter...

Plot twist: It's not a typewriter.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

CMD598 posted:

Plot twist: It's not a typewriter.

An enigma machine just showing up in a trunk now would be super loving cool.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

I watched this YouTube video of a grog Uboot video game that included actually operating the actual Enigma every time you wanted to send or receive a message and it was among the most hosed up things I have ever seen.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
I just went through the article on those things and no wonder they had to invent the computer to figure it out.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/oirspox/status/1171395187869986816?s=21

Bombs blowing up an island and stuff.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Any reason to think this is more than an expensive fireworks show?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Ironman reboot already?

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Trying to erase an entire grid square with JDAMs?

RestRoomLiterature-
Jun 3, 2008

staying regular
It looks like we are in the style points phase of videos between powers in the Middle East.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Any reason to think this is more than an expensive fireworks show?

We wouldn't have bothered using Strike Eagles if it was a PR stunt.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Sweet Jesus

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

I know it's ISIS and all but I'm not really a fan of choosing the word "infested" to refer to the presence of humans

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

aphid_licker posted:

I know it's ISIS and all but I'm not really a fan of choosing the word "infested" to refer to the presence of humans

I really doubt there was any opposing force on the island.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

EBB posted:

On the other hand, I know of an island in an idyllic location on a famous and storied river that's recently been expertly prepared for speculative development!

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

aphid_licker posted:

I agree. It's unnecessary and bad.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
All part of dehumanizing your opponents so you don't feel so bad about all the murdering you're doing.

(Agreed, in fact that entire video is pretty distasteful for me, it's pretty "we're killing people to patriotic music!")

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

EBB posted:

probably no daesh commander ever: hmm this is a great totally exposed island with limited exfil routes, totally surrounded by high ground, lets setup our fob here!

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

soy posted:

probably no daesh commander ever: hmm this is a great totally exposed island with limited exfil routes, totally surrounded by high ground, lets setup our fob here!

Their opponent:

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Duke Chin posted:

Their opponent:

lol

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Duke Chin posted:

Their opponent:

Is that COP Keating or something?

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Flying_Crab posted:

Is that COP Keating or something?

Yes, it's even in the name of the image when you quoted it

e: we aren't the only idiots though

UP THE BUM NO BABY fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Sep 11, 2019

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I blame phone posting

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Yes, it's even in the name of the image when you quoted it

e: we aren't the only idiots though

Dien Bien Phu?

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Dien Bien Phu?

Yeah, the "fortress"

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Context for others: some officers made some bad decisions and a lot of dudes died because of it. So...typical army.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

More context: A bunch of Germans thought their being-encircled times were over for sure this time and then got encircled and annihilated...again.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Duzzy Funlop posted:

More context: A bunch of Germans thought their being-encircled times were over for sure this time and then got encircled and annihilated...again.

Uhh

EBB posted:

There are a bunch of posts on twitter showing that the island has been bombed again and again.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

:ssh: roughly half of all applicants to the foreign legion after '45 were Germans, and the legion had several battalions at Dien Bien Phu :ssh:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

In a huge blow to my ego as an amateur geographer (and why I ain't making the big bucks), I can't find this island. I kinda wanna take a look at it on the gearth but depending on how old the satellite imagery is, that island might not look the same.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Milo and POTUS posted:

In a huge blow to my ego as an amateur geographer (and why I ain't making the big bucks), I can't find this island. I kinda wanna take a look at it on the gearth but depending on how old the satellite imagery is, that island might not look the same.

Try around 35°40'26"N 43°16'28"E

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Oh hey I did find it. And the island does look considerably different which is no surprise considering the latest imagery on gearth is 9 years old. I think I was also looking for a much bigger island. I dick around a lot on the st lawrence and those river islands are enormous. Anyway, if there was anyone there on that island they probably aren't anymore.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Dien Bien Phu?

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Yeah, the "fortress"

Didn't know poo poo about this one so I went and looked it up and

Casualties and losses
French Union
1,571–2,293 dead
5,195–6,650 wounded
1,729 missing
11,721 captured (of which 4,436 wounded)
62 aircraft and 10 tanks lost
167 aircraft damaged

Totally not CIA
2 dead

Vietnamese figures:
4,020 dead
9,118 wounded
792 missing
French estimate: 8,000 dead and 15,000 wounded

:stare: jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Duke Chin posted:

Didn't know poo poo about this one so I went and looked it up and

Casualties and losses
French Union
1,571–2,293 dead
5,195–6,650 wounded
1,729 missing
11,721 captured (of which 4,436 wounded)
62 aircraft and 10 tanks lost
167 aircraft damaged

Totally not CIA
2 dead

Vietnamese figures:
4,020 dead
9,118 wounded
792 missing
French estimate: 8,000 dead and 15,000 wounded

:stare: jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezus

It was the set piece battle that the French were hoping would break the Viet Minh. When asked about giving up the high ground and whether or not the Viet Minh would hit them with artillery they scoffed and said their own counter battery and airplanes would end that poo poo quick. It's probably possible to find an example where leadership was more wrong, but I'll leave that to others.