Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The best controller is, and always has been, any controller that has a fan built in to the grips to prevent Grip Sweat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I loved the n64 controller, the analog stick was revolutionary and I never played a game that asked me to use both the gamepad and the joystick so I never had any confusion about how to use it.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I don't see a fan.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
if playing video games gets you into a sweat i think you might need to get some exercise

Legin Noslen
Sep 9, 2004
Fortified with Rhiboflavin
If your hands dont get a little clammy every now and then playing vidjagaems then maybe you should cut off your hands and donate them to science because you are a freak and deserve nothing but scorn.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Legin Noslen posted:

If your hands dont get a little clammy every now and then playing vidjagaems then maybe you should cut off your hands and donate them to science because you are a freak and deserve nothing but scorn.

Yeah, but they keep delaying it :/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gug_0mNhg4k

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

control is a bad game with elements of good game not unlike bioshock infinite. Great visuals, impressive world building, and combat that's even pretty fun the first time you do it, before you fight the same fight 200 more times against samey respawning trash enemies in meticulously designed samey brutalist office spaces. also there are no saves and it's horribly checkpointed

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

poverty goat posted:

control is a bad game with elements of good game not unlike bioshock infinite. Great visuals, impressive world building, and combat that's even pretty fun the first time you do it, before you fight the same fight 200 more times against samey respawning trash enemies in meticulously designed samey brutalist office spaces. also there are no saves and it's horribly checkpointed

i regret forcing myself through 1999 mode. i dont even know how i would have finished it without abusing the poo poo out of that one gear piece that makes you invincible when you jump on the skyhook things

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

This is why I like switch button prompts that just show all four buttons in and color in the position of the one you are supposed to press.

and by I like them I mean it’s great on paper but in practice I just do not parse them quickly.

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
Someone a while back posted a big list of why mario 3 is worse than the other NES mario games, all of which were true things but it missed the essence of what makes a platformer better or worse than another. Movement and handling in mario 3 is better than 1 and far better than 2, making a more fun and satisfying game to play and replay. None of the other stuff matters that much in comparison.

Comparing mario 3 and mario world, I personally do like the movement in 3 better but the difference is small enough and the superiority of mario world in terms of level and world design makes them more evenly matched.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

poverty goat posted:

There really are way too many games to which gameplay is basically an afterthought. I blame console sensibilities where everything feels the need to justify a $60 price tag and its own box on the shelves.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

symphony of the night and all its clones are the only good castlevania games

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Ocean Book posted:

Someone a while back posted a big list of why mario 3 is worse than the other NES mario games, all of which were true things but it missed the essence of what makes a platformer better or worse than another. Movement and handling in mario 3 is better than 1 and far better than 2, making a more fun and satisfying game to play and replay. None of the other stuff matters that much in comparison.

Comparing mario 3 and mario world, I personally do like the movement in 3 better but the difference is small enough and the superiority of mario world in terms of level and world design makes them more evenly matched.

I'm not sure I agree movement and handling is necessarily better in 3, it certainly offers more degrees of freedom than the rigid controls in 1, but that doesn't make it better automatically.

For example, part of the fun of Ghosts n Goblins or Castlevania is that you have to commit to jumps which makes them into strategic platformers. Mario 1 is kind of like that too and I like that aspect of it. Mario 2 is okay, but 3 always felt sorta "off" to me, maybe that's because I grew up with World but Mario 3's movement always felt sorta floaty and wrong.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Control is a Remedy game through and through which surprised me for some reason. I just assumed they were going for something different but nope, it's all the same poo poo, same hidden TV shows, same "I'm in a videogame" conversations, same continuity building and Sam Lake's pet story themes. Just put that poo poo straight into my veins

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

jokes posted:

The best controller is, and always has been, any controller that has a fan built in to the grips to prevent Grip Sweat.

The best controller is, and always has been, the one shaped like the Wu-Tang logo:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Are you supposed to stab yourself in the dick in it, or slot your dick in the handy compartment?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

steinrokkan posted:

Are you supposed to stab yourself in the dick in it, or slot your dick in the handy compartment?

do not do the second one, it explicitly ain't nothin' to gently caress with

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting
people who think higher of themselves for pc gaming, inevitably all smell like rotting watermelons irl

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

You're supposed to put it on a fuckin' stove and let that poo poo sit there for like a half hour, take it off and stick it in your rear end slow like tss.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

ilikedirt posted:

people who think higher of themselves for pc gaming, inevitably all smell like rotting watermelons irl
oddly specific

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

Shibawanko posted:

I'm not sure I agree movement and handling is necessarily better in 3, it certainly offers more degrees of freedom than the rigid controls in 1, but that doesn't make it better automatically.

For example, part of the fun of Ghosts n Goblins or Castlevania is that you have to commit to jumps which makes them into strategic platformers. Mario 1 is kind of like that too and I like that aspect of it. Mario 2 is okay, but 3 always felt sorta "off" to me, maybe that's because I grew up with World but Mario 3's movement always felt sorta floaty and wrong.

amusingly, too floaty was my exact criticism of mario world controls in comparison to mario 3. might be a matter of preference and imprecise language at this point.

for me mario 3 hits a perfect point where I feel I can get mario to do exactly what I want and in time when I’m running through full speed as long as I’m paying attention.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

super mario 3d land is the best mario game in probably two decades, close to three, 3d world was also good, and nintendo should do a port of both of them to the switch as a bundle

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

:hfive: bruvs be4 luvs

food court bailiff posted:

super mario 3d world is the best mario game in probably two decades, close to three, 3d land was also good, and nintendo should do a port of both of them to the switch as a bundle

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

super mario 3d land is the best mario game in probably two decades, close to three, 3d world was also good, and nintendo should do a port of both of them to the switch as a bundle

I have such a backlog of 3ds games to get through I've only played the first level :(

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Wrong thread.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

SM3DW is the best 3D Mario game and it's not even close. It has enough respect for the player to not waste your loving time like every other 3D Mario.

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
also it has champion's road

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

3d world is so good

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Legin Noslen posted:

See you at the party, Richter!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Definitely agree 3D land is the best 3D mario although Galaxy 2 might equal it.

Unpopular game opinion, Odyssey was good, but pretty overrated and not one of the better Mario games.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I think Odyssey just had too much to do and a lot was stupid. Ground pound - get a star. Ok. Do it again every world for a star. So much filler.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

veni veni veni posted:

Definitely agree 3D land is the best 3D mario although Galaxy 2 might equal it.

Unpopular game opinion, Odyssey was good, but pretty overrated and not one of the better Mario games.

Odyssey has some moments that are great, and some moments where it feels oddly reminiscent of the recent 3D Sonic games, which also like to huff their own farts and give callbacks to the earlier games in the series.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

Odyssey has some moments that are great, and some moments where it feels oddly reminiscent of the recent 3D Sonic games, which also like to huff their own farts and give callbacks to the earlier games in the series.

Also the ending is set to a cheesy pop song.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Odyssey had a lot of great stuff about it. I had a ton of fun with it. it just didn't stick with me as much as 3D land or the Galaxy games. To me Galaxy is pretty much the perfect 3D mario series, and 3D land was such a good combo with 3D mario meets 2D mario rules.

I don't have a ton of bad stuff to say about Odyssey, but I definitely don't get why people act like it's the pinnacle of the series.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

The Galaxy games are amazing to control with mouse and keyboard and should have been made for PC.

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

Galaxy 1 was definitely the best 3d Mario game. Odyssey feels heavy and unfocused.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Excuse me but that's not the best mario game, if you'll sit down and listen closely to my concise logical arguments then you'll have to agree that THIS is the best mario game: *farts*

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987
Mario Goes Missing is the pinnacle of Mario and everything since then has been poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

I didn’t like galaxy for being so linear, but ended up liking 3d world for the combo of 3D plus linear. I think it leaned into it more strongly.