Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Instead of bans Souls should use a naughty server where dried fingers and red eye orbs are readily available and just let them all go against each other all day. People would prolly deliberately seek trouble just to play there. I enjoyed my time in the GTA naughty lobbies a lot more than the regular online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Not exactly sure what you mean by a “naughty server”, since I never really do multiplayer much in any game except putting my sign down for co-op in dark souls. But, I think that is actually how it works. Being banned doesn’t mean you’re completely excluded from multiplayer, it just means you can only play with other people who have also been banned. That sounds pretty much like what you’re describing. People who do co-op or PVP in mods like Cinders have alt accounts that have purposely been banned so that they can play with each other. It does mean you’re much more likely to end up playing with hackers or people who are playing a mod, though.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Yeah thats what I meant. Don't stop people from playing, just give them a different group to play with.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Does it still block out passworded summons though?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

GutBomb posted:

Nope, just the one time because the game was stuck. Couldn’t access the menu or anything. I don’t mind dying in an invasion. It’s just part of the game. And sometimes I don’t die!

I’ve resigned myself to the fact that my save is just gone and when I feel like going back into DS3 I’ll just start over with a family shared account or whatever.

When you ported over items between characters, did you include some items that are only accessible through leveling covenants? That can flag your account in the periodic sweeps DS3 does.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Nuns with Guns posted:

When you ported over items between characters, did you include some items that are only accessible through leveling covenants? That can flag your account in the periodic sweeps DS3 does.

No it was just a bunch of embers and homeward bones.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Sleekly posted:

Yeah thats what I meant. Don't stop people from playing, just give them a different group to play with.

wasn't that the point of the soft-bans in DS2? it basically put you in a special pool with other suspected cheaters, with the idea being "you guys can just gently caress around with each other if that's all you intend to do"

did they stop doing that for DS3? i recall my vanilla copy of DS2 on steam got softbanned because i was invading someone that had infinite health, so i fired up cheat engine to get around that, and when i killed them (by out-cheating basically) they threw a ton of shade at me over steam chat and said they were going to tell on me to FROM

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

It hasn’t changed, that’s how it works in DS3, too. I haven’t been banned, but I sometimes read the discord of the Cinders mod, and there are lots of people who purposefully get banned on an alt account there so they can do multiplayer with other users of the mod.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

:toot:

I beat Dancer on my second try! I was NOT prepared for the attack patterns at all; most of this fight, I was up against brand new attacks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQGoWffhLXY

I loving love this kind of extravagant fight against a mobile boss with dual swords. It feels way cooler than fighting a teleporter, or a big slow monster.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i just learned about the pig pickaxe secret in 2. and the crab. was it found the crab does anything? are there other really obscure secrets like this in the games?

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless

Relin posted:

i just learned about the pig pickaxe secret in 2. and the crab. was it found the crab does anything? are there other really obscure secrets like this in the games?

The answers you seek await within:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7JA2fZTf7o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zauN8dKz2eA

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

To this day Oldman and his grandson are haunted by that crab

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Regy Rusty posted:

To this day Oldman and his grandson are haunted by that crab

But which is the bigger disappointment? Not solving the mystery, or the grandson?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I love that guy. The video he just put out about Gael shows that Gael can get killed by the lightning strikes that get summoned by his mass skull attack.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Limit breakers and oldman are extremely good

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

this is where i learned about it! i was hoping there was progress in 2 years

i think they forgot to code anything

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
the crab wandered in from outside! he got in a spooky place and he's just a dumb crab! it's right out doors!

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
I just finally started playing Bloodborne and I can really see how parts of it influence DS3. The similarity of beasts, the Cathedral sprawl, even the end of the world. It's all eerily similar.

A little off topic of the souls thread, but I really don't understand the chalice portion of bloodborne. They aren't entertaining and the rewards are kinda 'meh'.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

War Wizard posted:

A little off topic of the souls thread, but I really don't understand the chalice portion of bloodborne. They aren't entertaining and the rewards are kinda 'meh'.

The chalice dungeons kind of suck but there are exclusive enemies/bosses that only appear there. After beating all of the “standard” chalice dungeons once, I’d never do it again. They do get a little better as you get to the lower layers, imo

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Chalices aren’t well developed in themselves. It was a really bold decision to try and add procgen stuff, but the key to entertaining procgen dungeons is to have loads of bespoke, unique-feeling stuff you can sprinkle in among the random stuff. That’s a lot of work and it’s understandable they didn’t want to do it all for a mode that most players probably don’t interact with.

That said, the chalices eventually give rewards worth doing, in the form of absolutely crazy amounts of blood echoes that make leveling up past BL200 a breeze. So they’re good in that sense that they’re a way to make your character a super powered jack of all trades once you’ve beaten everything. But the main reason to do them is just if you get really into Bloodborne combat for its own sake, they’re the best way to get loads and loads more of it.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

skasion posted:

Chalices aren’t well developed in themselves. It was a really bold decision to try and add procgen stuff, but the key to entertaining procgen dungeons is to have loads of bespoke, unique-feeling stuff you can sprinkle in among the random stuff. That’s a lot of work and it’s understandable they didn’t want to do it all for a mode that most players probably don’t interact with.

That said, the chalices eventually give rewards worth doing, in the form of absolutely crazy amounts of blood echoes that make leveling up past BL200 a breeze. So they’re good in that sense that they’re a way to make your character a super powered jack of all trades once you’ve beaten everything. But the main reason to do them is just if you get really into Bloodborne combat for its own sake, they’re the best way to get loads and loads more of it.

They are also great for getting specific end game weapons early in a playthrough. I managed to get the Scyth weapon on a fresh playthrough instead of NG+

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

m.hache posted:

They are also great for getting specific end game weapons early in a playthrough. I managed to get the Scyth weapon on a fresh playthrough instead of NG+

I looked it up as well, but I'm pretty sure the chalice sigil that holds it is some hacked nonsense. It's the first root chalice you get but the creatures in it are dropping 5k echos a piece.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
False depth dungeons are a hack and not an intentional part of the design, but whatever, might as well use them.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
The Scythe specifically being an NG+ weapon is also stupid because it is in no way powerful enough to justify beating the game to earn it - weapon balance in BB doesn't work that way.

There's a reason a "start a new game with any weapon unlocked from previous saves" mode is a hugely requested feature for BB or BB2.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
I will admit that I also used the chalice dungeons to get late game stat boosts to Sta/Health but it was my second playthrough and I was working towards plat (which I still haven't gotten. I should fix that)

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

SpaceDrake posted:

The Scythe specifically being an NG+ weapon is also stupid because it is in no way powerful enough to justify beating the game to earn it - weapon balance in BB doesn't work that way.

There's a reason a "start a new game with any weapon unlocked from previous saves" mode is a hugely requested feature for BB or BB2.
I'd kill to try out the big blood mace, but the only time I got far enough to actually find the Bloodletter, I'd already built an 80+ ARC character and had beaten most of the game. At least with poo poo like Dark Souls, once I know where a weapon type is, I can sprint to an example of it (usually) from the start of the game. Might not be the best in class, but it's an example of the type. Bloodborne, which is probably my favorite Souls game, has four or five weapons I'll never actually give a shot because you can't unlock them until way too late into the game and playing NG+ is different to playing NG. Especially when there's no option to reroll stats.

Please let BB2, if it happens, let you unlock weapons to get from the start of the game.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Whalley posted:

I'd kill to try out the big blood mace, but the only time I got far enough to actually find the Bloodletter, I'd already built an 80+ ARC character and had beaten most of the game. At least with poo poo like Dark Souls, once I know where a weapon type is, I can sprint to an example of it (usually) from the start of the game. Might not be the best in class, but it's an example of the type. Bloodborne, which is probably my favorite Souls game, has four or five weapons I'll never actually give a shot because you can't unlock them until way too late into the game and playing NG+ is different to playing NG. Especially when there's no option to reroll stats.

Please let BB2, if it happens, let you unlock weapons to get from the start of the game.

You can get almost any weapon I believe from those Chalice dungeons.

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord

m.hache posted:

You can get almost any weapon I believe from those Chalice dungeons.

Not the DLC weapons, which are the coolest. Gotta have those ones in your inventory already to find them in dungeon shops.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I was really hoping they would do something like the chalice dungeons in dark souls 3 but I guess they wanted to keep that idea within the bloodborne franchise or they were too unpopular because they were implemented badly not because they’re a bad idea!!!

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Digirat posted:

because they were implemented badly not because they’re a bad idea!!!

i think it was this. a competent, balanced rouge-like experience is an entire game in-and-of itself, and trying to bolt that onto a much more hand-curated experience like the souls games just isn't feasible within the development limits most companies are trying to operate. they could make a decent souls game WITH a well done rogue-like section but it'd take a significantly greater amount of time and money and it's not guaranteed that all the effort and expense would actually sell enough additional copies to justify the whole project.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

A couple of random notes on a Sorcerer run:

- Contrary to what I read, I still found the Sorcerer build to be much more powerful than standard melee. Granted, part of it is probably that I'm on the second playthrough and thus much more accustomed to the game, but even so having a powerful ranged option is kryptonite to some very powerful enemies.
- Including a couple of powerful bosses. Old Demon King and Nameless King, who gave me lots of trouble on the previous playthrough, fell on the first try. NK in particular barely did anything except walk slowly towards me.
- The biggest downside is the lack of flexibility in rings. DS1 only had two ring slots, but also only one ring that boosted sorceries, so you could adjust the second ring based on your needs. In DS3, it almost feels required to run Magic Clutch, Young Dragon, Bellowing Dragon, and Sage for maximum efficiency.
- Hidden Body is flat-out broken, and I had prevent myself from using it to keep normal levels a challenge.
- Unlike DS1 and 2, where putting all your points into Int as soon as possible seemed like the optimal strategy, I found it easier to get around 20 Int to meet the minimum requirements for early-game spells and then focus on Vitality for a while. You don't get much more damage from levelling Int early, whereas the extra health makes a huge difference against more aggressive enemies.
- The two Soul Spear spells don't seem all that useful this time around. Great Heavy Soul Arrow does almost the same amount of damage while costing much less FP. I must have used that spell for 90% of all fights, including most bosses. I guess that's the drawback of a Mana-system. You inevitably gravitate towards the most efficient option instead of varying it up.
- Hardest location in the entire game were the stairs leading up to Pontiff's boss fight, populated by the most aggressive dogs in the entire game. Mistiming a spell usually meant getting stunlocked to death.
- The real final boss of this game are those rear end in a top hat crocodile dogs near the Aldrich covenant.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Samuel Clemens posted:

: words:
- The real final boss of this game are those rear end in a top hat crocodile dogs near the Aldrich covenant.

I Really enjoyed my sorc run in DS3. It felt really versatile, had long range and melee spells (melee ones were always a nice surprise in PvP) to make combat feel more diverse. I forget what melee weapon I used, but I remember it being able to cast spells...

Those Crocs are assholes no matter what. Never really got the hang of their attacks.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

I'm on my second playthrough, right after the first one. This time as a dex build with Uchigatana for most fights and Irithyll rapier for bosses. Last time I did all the bosses solo, and this time I have used every NPC phantom available. It's ridiculous how simple some boss fights gets with an NPC distrating the boss, even the Twin Princess, where the NPCs are pretty useless and die if you don't actively draw the Princes' fire yourself.

Irithyll rapier is a fun weapon! Very good for fighting Knight-type enemies.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
I stopped playing The Ringed City right after I first bought it when it came out and I couldn't remember why. After finally getting back around to it, I remember now. Those loving angels were complete bullshit and unfun. So this time I finally got past them and was excited for the rest of the DLC, only to find out that... it gets even more bullshit than that?? The Ringed City itself is obnoxious garbage.

This DLC feels like one gigantic middle finger from From to the player and completely unlike anything else in the entire series. It's "Run Away: The Game!" It feels like the entire thing was designed with the intent for the player to sprint past literally everything. Stop to explore? You're dead. Stop to actually fight the enemies? Something else kills you while you're doing so. Surely (like the angel summoners) these giant summoners will at least stay dead if I die? Noooooooooooooooope!

Why is my curse meter skyrocketing this time? Oh, it's because just being anywhere within a decent radius of a particular enemy causes the curse rate to go through the roof? Wait, how are these assholes spamming stunlock spells at me with perfect precision even long after I broke line of sight with them and am now very far away? Even the Irithyll jailers and the frenzy assholes from Bloodborne can't do that!

"Show your humanity?" Hmm... maybe pop an ember? No. I've got it! Cure my hollowing? Uh-uh. Fine.
*looks up the solution*
How the gently caress was I supposed to figure that out on my own?

I'm not exaggerating when I say that I've died more in this DLC than in the base game + Ashes of Ariandel combined, and every single time I've felt like my death was completely unfair "gotcha" bullshit. At this point I just want to get to the bosses and be done.

This is not fun at all and it feels like From got caught up in their own hype and thought that huge difficulty is the entire point of these games and not something that the player should be taught to overcome. Just kill the player as many times as possible! Yeah, Dark Souls!

And the astonishing thing is that I keep seeing players defending this DLC as brilliant game design. My best guess is that some people bashed their head against it for so long that they got Stockholm Syndrome. :confused:

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

The Ringed City is fantastic, and honestly easier than AoA once you figure out some of the puzzle elements. The trick to the DLC is taking it slow. Moving through areas too fast tends to wake up a lot of powerful enemies, but as long as you take them on one at a time, they're not too bad. It's an area that rewards you for being patient and observant, something you don't see very often in DS3.

The humanity puzzle is dumb though, and I'm willing to bet most anyone used a guide to figure it out.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
The ringed city owns, Midir is a bit too tanky but that's my only complaint

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

...! posted:

And the astonishing thing is that I keep seeing players defending this DLC as brilliant game design. My best guess is that some people bashed their head against it for so long that they got Stockholm Syndrome. :confused:

Aside from Midir I didn't find the ringed city any harder than the rest of the game. Even he wasn't so bad once I figured out why he was taking so long to kill.

It's a good DLC

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood
I'm glad the ringed city couldn't be dead-leveled like anor londo so you can have proper pvp wars through the level

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
The part of Ringed City that I didn't like was trying to get down that long staircase and make it to the next bonfire. There was just so much poo poo to die to. Eventually I just looked up how to get to the bonfire and beelined it. Then I went through that area "backwards".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

...! posted:

I see you haven't been introduced to the concept of opinions.