Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Josherino)

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SunAndSpring posted:

Just feel really frustrated with how other people seem to always think being supporting means just acknowledging something I said. I get sad about job searching too doesnt help me search for a loving job, for instance, and Yeah I get nervous about passing too does not help me pass. It just feels awful to constantly have things echoed back at me while Im stuck in a rut. I dont know why people think it helps me and then get mad at me when I keep having the same problem.

The serious response is that many people are hoping you will shut up and go have your problems somewhere else they don't have to acknowledge. They are saying they want to be supportive not out of genuine interest but because they have accepted that as the correct script. It's similar to how no one actually wants you to tell them how you've been when they greet you and literally ask that question: it's just a script, part of a schema of behaviour, that fits within their worldview of correct interaction. It's really terrible, but unless you are lucky enough to already have an established network of genuinely supportive people, the way you build one is with incredibly awkward and likely guilt- or shame-ridden conversations where you unambiguously request people do specific actions. Which will feel like you're intruding on them, or being rude, or being needy, or being a burden, or being weak, or any of a dozen other things your mind will throw up as reasons not to do it because what kind of horrible person would even consider it. And then you gotta do it anyway, and a big chunk of the time you'll get turned down. But it's literally the only way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

thehandtruck posted:

can you post the ad or take a pic of it please? I was talking to someone about this the other day but there are a few very minor code of ethics issues and Im curious to see how it's worded

yeah sure, it seems like a pretty plain ad

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

UnfortunateSexFart has issued a correction as of 04:27 on Sep 13, 2019

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

SunAndSpring posted:

Just feel really frustrated with how other people seem to always think being supporting means just acknowledging something I said. I get sad about job searching too doesnt help me search for a loving job, for instance, and Yeah I get nervous about passing too does not help me pass. It just feels awful to constantly have things echoed back at me while Im stuck in a rut. I dont know why people think it helps me and then get mad at me when I keep having the same problem.

I never have a good response for these so I stay quiet, but fwiw, theres someone reading it.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Padams posted:

ADHD + depression is a pretty lovely combo. Im either too sad and down to do anything to improve my life, or Im feeling good and end up playing video games for hours on end.

I have a ton of things I ought to be doing instead, like redoing my resume, applying for better jobs than my current soul sucking customer care job, taking online classes etc. Ive always envied people who could decide what the gently caress they want to do with their lives and tirelessly work to achieve their goals since they were kids. Meanwhile here I am at 34 not doing anything important except some scattershot DSA/reclaim events once in a blue moon and not knowing what I want to be when I grow up (lol)

Also, whoever bought me my new avatar on here, you rock.

hear, hear

it loving rocks to be sitting there on a Sunday unable to summon up the will to do literally anything productive, and not being able to tell whether it's the ADD or the depression killing your motivation. just the best loving feeling in the world, watching those precious weekend hours slowly tick by as an apathetic lump that can't do anything but mindlessly poke at a phone for hours on end. not even able to enjoy yourself, not even able to loving eat

and during the rare good periods where I actually want to do things, i'm usually stuck doing errands or work or some other mind-numbing crap that just saps me of everything. and by the time it's done and i get back to having free time, the motivation's all evaporated and I just kind of halfass my way through what's left of the day. "maybe I'll do better another day", but almost every day is the same poo poo, and every day that gets wasted that way is another day closer to my eventual death

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I am super phlegmatic right now and I'm not sure I know why. It's like, things are pretty good for me right now, I'm doing good in the world and am stable, but...

I've always been a night owl and preferred the darker side of things. When I went to the hospital, it was immediately obvious to me and everyone that that mindset was killing me. I've known despair and resigned hopelessness wrapped in beauty all my life, and It will absolutely kill me if I go back to it. And yet...

It's where I drew my inspiration from. I can't write. I can't feel. I've got all this stuff I should be grateful for, and I just want something else. Something that will ultimately annihilate me but at least provide familiar comfort.

Maybe it's just leftover Thanatos and what I really want is for people to leave me alone so I can quietly self destruct and not have to deal with the world anymore. (I am not suicidal again, btw. I'm just trying to think through my twisted internal reasoning.) I don't know what this is, but this is one of the rare moments where it's peeking through, and I need to get it out somewhere.

I walk between worlds so often. I just want to pick one or the other.

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

i went to bed hella early today because i was feeling particularly down. woke up maybe twenty minutes ago and couldnt stop brooding; ended up crying for like 10 minutes. i dont usually get that far -- usually ill just endure the emotional pressure that crying would release not because i want to, but just because i find it so often hard to cry. anyway, it didnt provide the release i fantasized it would. now i just feel that pressure and have a stuffy nose. oh, and im wide awake now.

ive got a doctors appointment in the evening but frankly im just going through the motions at this point. i think ive lost whatever hope i had of finding a chemical treatment to my bad brain. im not, and have never been, suicidal, but goddamn if i dont feel like ive just wasted capital "L" Life, and continue to do so on account of being unable to motivate myself to do the most menial poo poo.

whats more, im feeling more and more socially isolated not because im a hermit (i am) but because ive watched most of my friends escape poverty and begin, or being in the middle of, fulfilling lives. meanwhile my circumstances have just cycled between paycheck to paycheck, to broke and jobless. it makes me covetous and i hate it.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

SunAndSpring posted:

Just feel really frustrated with how other people seem to always think being supporting means just acknowledging something I said. “I get sad about job searching too” doesn’t help me search for a loving job, for instance, and “Yeah I get nervous about passing too” does not help me pass. It just feels awful to constantly have things echoed back at me while I’m stuck in a rut. I don’t know why people think it helps me and then get mad at me when I keep having the same problem.

Email me your resume, if you're open. I rewrite resumes for everyone I know, maybe I can help, I've done everything from retail to post-doc research, with a lot of suçcess.

My best friend is a trans woman, and passing has been her biggest worry since uhh, 2010? I'm a queer man so I can't really objectively help her pass. But I've watched her transition since then, and I know she was happier in every single minute of those years regardless of if she was "passing".

Hope you are holding up, I'm sure the people you are talking to are confused or stupid.

AARD VARKMAN has issued a correction as of 08:00 on Sep 9, 2019

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
The resume offer is up to anyone in the thread, I believe emails are open without me having to post it. I do resume reviews, rewrites, and corrections for free. I mostly do it for charities but I will gladly do it for c-spam.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

poo poo that reminds me there's a big jobs fair this week on top of all the other poo poo I have to do

Dragomorph
Aug 21, 2007

HE'S NOT A REAL GOON, SAM!

Can I keep his head as a souvenir?

Say, why is it ticking?
I got my weekly good climate change news digest so I peered foolishly into the climate change thread here to see if anybody else gets that news, and it's so hard seeing so many people who have decided "roll over and die" is the only plausible way forward because my "I GOTTA FIX IT" anxieties immediately flare up. I have to stomp those motherfuckers like a burning poop bag because I know trying to say anything or suggest anything just irritates people, but man. When you have anxiety WITHOUT depression and a relatively optimistic view on life, it sure plays havoc on your brain when you see people depressed and can't do anything about it - or worse, wonder if you're just sort of deluding yourself (which, frankly, isn't a bad thing sometimes).

But I mean I did get to hear about a forest in a stadium from my digest and the museum studies minor in me thinks that's rad.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
e: incoming soul dump I guess this ended up being

I just have a story to share that made me feel good this weekend. maybe itll put a smile on someones face or inspire them to talk to somebody. my pms are open on that note if anyone just needs an ear.

I was sitting down with a friend of mine and shes been going through relationship issues with her fianc lately (among other things). shes kind of slowly gotten more and more despondent and noticeably depressed, but she puts up a good front and she does her best to hide it if you you ask (or she notices herself slipping).

finally I just prodded her a bit more about it and she relented but gave me the very dry version of everything. I figured she probably didnt want to share with me (I will always assume that) and told her she should really look at finding an outlet for it. just anyone she could feel safe talking to. she wanted to see a therapist and I told her I had a lot of luck in just group therapy meetings. we talked back and forth on the pros and cons and finally I just decided to give her an example.

I opened up about my stuff and did my best to point out along the way how group therapy and just talking helped me tremendously on my outlook. even though Im a crotchety nihilistic rear end, I still have empathy and Im pretty unflappable when it comes to things that might upset me and she, for whatever reason, really admires and wants that for herself. all of it, even the nihilistic part because it means I dont obsess over stupid poo poo.

there was a sort of epiphany moment for her as I was sharing and explaining and she just unloaded for about an hour about her past and her present. got done and she said she felt like a massive weight had been lifted off her chest and she wanted me to go with her to a group meeting. well see if she doesnt chicken out on it. regardless it still felt nice to be able to give someone the relief I felt when I was able to admit to myself that I was severely depressed and pretty damaged all around but that was ok. none of those things had to define who I was or how I felt or approached things. they were just there and I could do (or not) what I wanted with them.

e to add:
I know this will ring hollow to some people here, especially when what you have requires medication and in some cases people here cant afford it or dont have access to it. I just know that a less negative outlook helped me not have constant suicidal ideation and helped me feel at least half human. I can also commiserate on the medicine front (though mine is purely physical condition; its just not covered by any insurance Ive had for the past few years). I finally had to give up the weekly treatment I was taking at the end of last month because it was too expensive and it sucks and theres nothing anybody can do about it. but even my GI said I was doing better than expected with even the minimal treatment route I was taking (the only thing I could remotely afford). I can only attribute it to not feeling like Im in a void constantly. I hope something can do that for anyone who might feel that way.

Ugato has issued a correction as of 19:28 on Sep 9, 2019

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
Some good job related news: I was able to ask for slightly less hours that will hopefully reduce the serious burn-out I'm experiencing.

Bad news: I have no idea how to tell my parents (who I still live with) this, since they're first generation immigrant boomers. They will absolutely not understand why I'm willing to make less money for the sake of my mental health lol.

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014
hey there thread, long time no post, still an emotional wreck who hates existence but now I found out I got the beetus, I can't even remember to take my allergy meds consistently so me losing a leg is almost guaranteed, how much should I give into despair?

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

my company got bought out a few months back and today, my boss asked me to write up a financial forecast for the industry i write about (business is good, actually) because they wanted to see "why they bought us." his boss asked for it, so now i get to spend the rest of the day wanting to puke wondering if im going to get laid off. ive only been here for 10 months or so and it is a small operation, so it isnt like i have an army of people to go to bat for me.

i have a 2 hour commute home tonight so i cant take a lorazepam like i normally would with this much stress. im gonna disappear from the office and meditate in a closet or something lol

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Mordor She Wrote posted:

hey there thread, long time no post, still an emotional wreck who hates existence but now I found out I got the beetus, I can't even remember to take my allergy meds consistently so me losing a leg is almost guaranteed, how much should I give into despair?

Don't know about doctor stuff but hope your mind feels better in general! Take time out to relax and enjoy the little things

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Ugato posted:

there was a sort of epiphany moment for her as I was sharing and explaining and she just unloaded for about an hour about her past and her present. got done and she said she felt like a massive weight had been lifted off her chest and she wanted me to go with her to a group meeting. well see if she doesnt chicken out on it. regardless it still felt nice to be able to give someone the relief I felt when I was able to admit to myself that I was severely depressed and pretty damaged all around but that was ok. none of those things had to define who I was or how I felt or approached things. they were just there and I could do (or not) what I wanted with them.

all you gotta do is be there at the right time and willing to listen. you'd be shocked about what that can do

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

SunAndSpring posted:

my gf gets mad at me when i try to help her with a problem instead of just listening and sympathizing. im wired to try to solve the issue :shrug:

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Dragomorph posted:

I got my weekly good climate change news digest so I peered foolishly into the climate change thread here to see if anybody else gets that news, and it's so hard seeing so many people who have decided "roll over and die" is the only plausible way forward because my "I GOTTA FIX IT" anxieties immediately flare up. I have to stomp those motherfuckers like a burning poop bag because I know trying to say anything or suggest anything just irritates people, but man. When you have anxiety WITHOUT depression and a relatively optimistic view on life, it sure plays havoc on your brain when you see people depressed and can't do anything about it - or worse, wonder if you're just sort of deluding yourself (which, frankly, isn't a bad thing sometimes).

But I mean I did get to hear about a forest in a stadium from my digest and the museum studies minor in me thinks that's rad.

It's really nice to see a post like this from someone who is currently able to not think about the bad things in the world, giving a reminder of what it's like to be on the outside of despairing conversations and looking in. It's refreshing and not all that common to see when engrossed in reading about certain topics.

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

My mind is going some extraordinarily dark loving places and my job is quickly crumbling. I have decided, perhaps too late, to give another go at therapy and have reached out to several that take my insurance.

If I hear back from any of them tomorrow, is there anything wrong with explaining that I'm in crisis right the gently caress now and would like to meet ASAP? In the past, I've been in less.... urgent situations.

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

Earth Table posted:

My mind is going some extraordinarily dark loving places and my job is quickly crumbling. I have decided, perhaps too late, to give another go at therapy and have reached out to several that take my insurance.

If I hear back from any of them tomorrow, is there anything wrong with explaining that I'm in crisis right the gently caress now and would like to meet ASAP? In the past, I've been in less.... urgent situations.

I don't see why not. Even if they don't have any openings soon enough there, they might be able to refer you to someone that does. Can't hurt to ask, in any case.

Sanguinary Novel
Jan 27, 2009
Every time I get stuck in a really, really low spot I start up incognito mode and just start googling things like "why am I so depressed" and the like. One part of me is hoping someone's experience, some philosopher, some psychologist or whatever has some kernel of truth to help keep the lights on for another night.

Other times I find dumb as hell poo poo like the Wikihow article "How to stop feeling useless" with the terrible illustrations and can't help but laugh. I guess it's helpful

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Dragomorph posted:

As someone who's had lots of depression and anxiety issues, I always avoid CC discussions. Both because it's pretty depressing, and because I find the narrations people are pushing often are eerily like the depressive and anxious thoughts I've worked very hard to fight. The people in those threads have something to do with it too; while I know SA climate change threads have been pushing back against them, the climate doom shouters seem to revel in trying to provoke anxiety and despair in people, so it's like these people want me to be mentally ill as long as it benefits their particular worldview.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Nebakenezzer posted:

As someone who's had lots of depression and anxiety issues, I always avoid CC discussions. Both because it's pretty depressing, and because I find the narrations people are pushing often are eerily like the depressive and anxious thoughts I've worked very hard to fight. The people in those threads have something to do with it too; while I know SA climate change threads have been pushing back against them, the climate doom shouters seem to revel in trying to provoke anxiety and despair in people, so it's like these people want me to be mentally ill as long as it benefits their particular worldview.

:same:

I don't want to be naively optimistic about climate change, but there are absolutely c-spam goons who want to make others as miserable as they are.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Equeen posted:

:same:

I don't want to be naively optimistic about climate change, but there are absolutely c-spam goons who want to make others as miserable as they are.

:fist bump:

Well, there's naively optimistic, and then there's hope. It took me a long time to figure out that hope and faith are not rational concepts; they often sit despite facts. And while like any human thing they can be used wrongly, they most definitely are necessary, **especially** when things look dark. The Climate Shouters really don't get that, and seem to want to bring all others down to their level of nihilistic despair. And "YOU SHOULD FEAR MORE" is Glenn Beck's and Tom Friedman's message.

And frankly another of the many things I dislike about the climate doom shouters is that I feel if they had the courage of their convictions, they wouldn't be relentlessly negative on the internet, they'd be terrorists of some sort, either against fossil fuels, or against humanity generally.

Yes, I have contempt for them because they are not terrorists, figure that one out

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

I lie awake, staring out at the bleakness of Megadon.

Nebakenezzer posted:

it's definitely good to just opt out of discussions that are going to gently caress with you. most of the time i'm fine with just how stupid and hosed up the world is, and i find the humor in it because i think that we're going to swing it around as a species; but every couple of months i consciously unplug myself from all that poo poo. i stop listening to NPR, i stop listening to podcasts, i stop checking any social media, and i absolutely feel a million times better after like a week.

i'm having a hosed up time right now because i've been seeing this woman, and even though i basically just try to keep my thoughts positive and like listen to stupid 90's alt rock to keep myself from going down into the abyss, i just can't help it sometimes. like, i was in a total dark night of the soul at work today. it just sucks to vacillate between "i'm so happy that someone wants to be with me" and then "lol you loving loser she's gonna leave you why the gently caress would anyone want to be with you". and i really don't believe that she'll leave me, but at the same time i'm 100% sure that she will.

i'm happier than i was before tho, and i guess that's good enough for me.

Dragomorph
Aug 21, 2007

HE'S NOT A REAL GOON, SAM!

Can I keep his head as a souvenir?

Say, why is it ticking?
It's honestly a relief to see others who see the importance of being hopeful. It can be really easy to doubt yourself, especially when the doomsayers pull out a bunch of things you sort of agree with. But I mean if I don't have hope then I'd just be a useless mess of paralyzed anxiety, and what good is that? It's why I started looking for constructive news sources in the first place, and why I more or less don't read the Trump thread anymore unless something gloriously schedenfreude happens and I wanna see the jokes.

There was this post in the Trump thread once that turned "nothing matters" on its head and redefined it as a hopeful belief in the power of small acts leading to bigger things, and I wish I still had that on me because it was kind of amazing.

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

I lie awake, staring out at the bleakness of Megadon.

Dragomorph posted:

It's honestly a relief to see others who see the importance of being hopeful. It can be really easy to doubt yourself, especially when the doomsayers pull out a bunch of things you sort of agree with. But I mean if I don't have hope then I'd just be a useless mess of paralyzed anxiety, and what good is that? It's why I started looking for constructive news sources in the first place, and why I more or less don't read the Trump thread anymore unless something gloriously schedenfreude happens and I wanna see the jokes.

There was this post in the Trump thread once that turned "nothing matters" on its head and redefined it as a hopeful belief in the power of small acts leading to bigger things, and I wish I still had that on me because it was kind of amazing.

dude (and i mean that in a gender-neutral way), definitely don't take the Trump-thread seriously. maybe there are some people who are serious, and they should definitely seek help, but i think most TT regulars are just using black comedy to deal with the honestly hosed up shitshow that is American life right now. but it's a passing phase, because when you look at history nothing lasts forever, and the more stupid and violent a civilization is, the sooner it changes - and the arc of history really does bend (very slowly) towards justice.

like, just believe in love, and believe in peace, and believe in hope and poo poo will get better. the glassy-eyed ghouls may rule things for now but they're dying off and going away. loving solidarity forever, buddy. ☭

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Dragomorph posted:

that would be LG when she stepped down as cspam "president" and if you ask her over the trump thread she'll probably repost it for you :)

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747
I went to DC for the first time and saw the National Art Gallery or w/e and it cheered me up a lot. Seeing paintings I read about as a kid was cool as heck. I'm not even really an art person but seeing them with my own eyes was really inspiring.

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

succ posted:

I went to DC for the first time and saw the National Art Gallery or w/e and it cheered me up a lot. Seeing paintings I read about as a kid was cool as heck. I'm not even really an art person but seeing them with my own eyes was really inspiring.

pictures and prints never do them justice, particularly the scale of a lot of paintings.

in other news, i saw my GP yesterday and she referred me to a psychiatrist whom i made an appointment with today for the 9th of october. hopefully something will come of that

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

wwhy cspam is piss. why cspam is piss #italiano

gonna vent here for a second, but it seems like this forum has developed a bunker mentality against libs (good!) but to the point of devouring its own and becoming a circular firing squad (bad!)

i feel like george costanza yelling at some random person that we live in a society and people are just staring at me, but this forum has become way more loving toxic since i started coming here. maybe i'm biased because i've been subject to some of that vitriol, but i'm noticing a problem with ableist bullshit on the forums

i don't want to start drama, and i don't know what the answer to this problem is, but i feel like it's worth keeping in mind that this was the forum that originally spawned 4chan and that we ought to keep a lid on that bullshit. there are people in here who have severe problems with anxiety, depression, and suicidal ideation who easily get triggered. just because college libs have monopolized the discourse around "privilege" and getting "triggered" doesn't mean we should simply dismiss all that out of hand

i'm just an avatar-free lurker with a medley of mental health issues and bad posting history, but dammit this forum is an absolute cancer sometimes. i don't know what the answer is beyond mental health "awareness" or mental health getting more recognition by mods/admins, but it's a shame that this is the only space on cspam where these things aren't simply discussed in jest and infected with irony poisoning

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
only thing i can say to help is to block the religiously bad actors. its still something awful and theres still the poo poo stirring roots of the forum around. even if they dont intentionally do it people really easily just fall into flaming here. and the people whove been around a while are pretty good at it. theres a lot of get off my lawn poo poo that gets old real fast too. just find the most obnoxious people and block them.

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,

Yossarian-22 posted:

gonna vent here for a second, but it seems like this forum has developed a bunker mentality against libs (good!) but to the point of devouring its own and becoming a circular firing squad (bad!)

i feel like george costanza yelling at some random person that we live in a society and people are just staring at me, but this forum has become way more loving toxic since i started coming here. maybe i'm biased because i've been subject to some of that vitriol, but i'm noticing a problem with ableist bullshit on the forums

i don't want to start drama, and i don't know what the answer to this problem is, but i feel like it's worth keeping in mind that this was the forum that originally spawned 4chan and that we ought to keep a lid on that bullshit. there are people in here who have severe problems with anxiety, depression, and suicidal ideation who easily get triggered. just because college libs have monopolized the discourse around "privilege" and getting "triggered" doesn't mean we should simply dismiss all that out of hand

i'm just an avatar-free lurker with a medley of mental health issues and bad posting history, but dammit this forum is an absolute cancer sometimes. i don't know what the answer is beyond mental health "awareness" or mental health getting more recognition by mods/admins, but it's a shame that this is the only space on cspam where these things aren't simply discussed in jest and infected with irony poisoning

i think it's good to set boundaries and management expectations with what you want to get out of the forums. for me i try to look at them like it's a place to get some laughs and maybe some information. trying to change it or make it better is fine but imo its good to limit how much effort you put into it. the nature of the medium makes it very easy to attack someone or get into a little flame war so resist, ignore, and disengage often

13 years on these dead gay forums and magically it's still around, still interesting and still funny. it's fine

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Yossarian-22 posted:

Yossarian, you are always welcome in this thread. That being said, based on this and your recent probe, I think the rest of cspam is very bad for you and you should probably stay away :(

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

SunAndSpring posted:

i can definitely see how that's frustrating, but at the bare minimum it counts as someone acknowledging your problems and trying to respond to them as such (even if it's not helpful, inept, etc.).

when people have echoed things back to you, have you tried to treat this as an opening for further conversation? where you can explicitly and concretely bring up how they could help you, e.g. asking for help in searching for work, or asking for concrete tips/assurance/etc on passing?

edit:

the following response, while one possible interpretation for sure, is a very cynical one:

Addamere posted:

The serious response is that many people are hoping you will shut up and go have your problems somewhere else they don't have to acknowledge. They are saying they want to be supportive not out of genuine interest but because they have accepted that as the correct script. It's similar to how no one actually wants you to tell them how you've been when they greet you and literally ask that question: it's just a script, part of a schema of behaviour, that fits within their worldview of correct interaction. It's really terrible, but unless you are lucky enough to already have an established network of genuinely supportive people, the way you build one is with incredibly awkward and likely guilt- or shame-ridden conversations where you unambiguously request people do specific actions. Which will feel like you're intruding on them, or being rude, or being needy, or being a burden, or being weak, or any of a dozen other things your mind will throw up as reasons not to do it because what kind of horrible person would even consider it. And then you gotta do it anyway, and a big chunk of the time you'll get turned down. But it's literally the only way.

when i read your initial post, SunAndSpring, I interpreted it as people close to you making an opening move in a conversation, one limited to mere acknowledgment for fear of overstepping their boundaries or even just ignorance of what kind of response you're looking for.

i think there are a spectrum of interpretations between the one i initially considered and what addamere mentioned. without knowing about your relationships with these people, it's hard to determine where along the spectrum to interpret their response--as genuinely well intentioned but inept, or merely following a script with no genuine interest in your well-being, or something in between.

Finicums Wake has issued a correction as of 18:47 on Sep 11, 2019

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Yossarian-22 posted:

I'm somebody who had to swear off DND during its pre-Ron Paul denouncement of libertarians, just because I'd end up angry reading or posting. If it just makes you angry, just avoid (those areas) on SA.

Weird story: I was a frequent LF poster (I'm not sure if its coming across but I hated libertarians, so the Ron Paul mockery thread was my happy place for a long time) but as LF started its downward trajectory I went from reading the forum generally, to just posting in the LF image thread, to not posting there at all. Your emotions are part of who you are, but they can also be sending you a message.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Libs are bad, if you're a liberal change and you won't get shunned. :)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I failed a trig test, and now I'm wondering if i can't even do basic math how can I become a software engineer, and should I even be trying with the world ending soon. I just want to eat a bullet and stop trying to make my life better, it feels like it'll never get better. I still don't have my managed care plan from my social worker, because she went on vacation for 2 weeks and she said she'd get it to me on the first, and I'm willing to bet she forgot to do it before she went on vacation so now I have to wait for her to get back, and Latuda costs $1000 per bottle, and even if I did have the meds they're not making me any better at math.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Guess who's got two thumbs and just had an anxiety attack for merely thinking about going outside.

... Gonna go anyway. I've got a craving for fried catfish.