Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dimitris
Apr 11, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
I think it may be useful to list the new features, so that misunderstandings are avoided.

The list is from here: https://www.matrixgames.com/game/command-modern-operations

quote:

Revised user interface, based on dark theme and with lots of tweaks for improved gameplay

Completely re-written map engine, enabling fast and lag-free zoom & pan operations

New spectacular high-resolution map layers

Support for real-time Tacview 3D view (NOTE: separate purchase of Tacview Advanced edition required)

Numerous new UI & gameplay features such as hover-info databox, time-step mode, colored datablocks, minimaps, "recently loaded" scens/saves etc.

Massive boost in simulation performance/scalability

Automatic on-demand remote fetching of platform images (Players no longer need to manually download and install the database image packs)

Message Log 2.0: A radically improved message reporting system

New game mode: Quick Battle Generator

New line-of-sight (LOS) tool

New ScenEdit feature: Merge scenarios

New sim features:
- Customizable aircraft formations
- Terrain type affecting movement, vulnerability and detectability of ground forces
- New cost-based pathfinder engine
- Realistic sub comms
- Patrols with customizable movement pattern
- Vastly improved aircraft flight model
- Improved dogfight AI
- Aircraft crew G-tolerance
- Radar frequency agility
- Explicit Doppler-notching

Renewed emphasis on overall gameplay experience:
- Additional and expanded tutorials
- Stylized map icons by default
- The "Chains Of War” previously-exclusive features (cargo & amphib ops, aircraft damage, comms disruption and advanced weapon types) are now standard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dimitris
Apr 11, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Alchenar posted:

Oh man I bet it's literally a 600GB install.

On-demand streaming to the rescue. Even so, it's a challenge to put together an installer small enough to be practical, yet complete enough that a guy may get the box edition, install it on an air-gapped machine and have a good experience without ever hitting the net.

Dimitris
Apr 11, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Stairmaster posted:

So the dynamic comm stuff is still in the professional edition right?

No, comms disruption will now be a standard feature. Likewise for detailed aircraft damage, cargo/amphib/airdrop mechanics & advanced weapons.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Is the redesign a free update and just the 3D tac display is extra?

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Didn’t see it mentioned: some Spanish Civil War scenarios released for Wars Across the World. Anyone ever check out the base game? I recall it getting ok reviews but never saw it mentioned here
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/08/23/the-flare-path-homage-to-catatonia/

Dimitris
Apr 11, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

COOL CORN posted:

Is the redesign a free update and just the 3D tac display is extra?

No, it's a new game release.

This post clarifies intended pricing for existing users: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=4683967

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

mllaneza posted:

You and me three brothers. The IIc campaign, with the exit through the Kiel Canal, defines SH3 for me. Kills south of Dover were so sweet.Hunting BBs off Norway and then getting a VIIc out of Brest felt earned like few things in videogames ever did.

All I really want is GWX3 Gold on a modern platform.

Was there any way to make the Kiel canal run less time consuming/frustrating? I know there is the preset waypoint option but the time compression stops every ten seconds because of airplanes, other shipping traffic, etc. I love the game but the dead time between hunts, especially in the Kiel canal always took the wind out if my sails. I really want to try a IIc campaign.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

LogisticEarth posted:

Was there any way to make the Kiel canal run less time consuming/frustrating? I know there is the preset waypoint option but the time compression stops every ten seconds because of airplanes, other shipping traffic, etc. I love the game but the dead time between hunts, especially in the Kiel canal always took the wind out if my sails. I really want to try a IIc campaign.

I played with lots of mods and I think one of them let you transfer to other ports. So I just sailed from Wilhelmshaven and later from France.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

LogisticEarth posted:

GWX (or was it SH3Commander?) has somewhere that you can tinker with the minimum time compression under certain conditions, such as "near land". (warning, may cause accidents when used irresponsibly)

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Oh poo poo! I'm glad they're keeping CMANO updated.

skooma512 fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Sep 4, 2019

Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016

Dimitris posted:

I think it may be useful to list the new features, so that misunderstandings are avoided.

The list is from here: https://www.matrixgames.com/game/command-modern-operations

The updated CMANO map looks amazing. And terrain effects for ground combat? That makes improved ground combat modeling a possibility...

Does the new game mean that we'll get the advanced mission planner sooner?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
The idea that, by owning the first product, I won't pay full price for the new one is mindblowing. Regular games don't do that, and you're a loving grog game.
This is one of the exceedingly rare instances that I feel like "shut up and take my money."

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

The idea that, by owning the first product, I won't pay full price for the new one is mindblowing. Regular games don't do that, and you're a loving grog game.
This is one of the exceedingly rare instances that I feel like "shut up and take my money."

The one issue is that the original's base game is rather a bit expensive. But the new one also includes backwards compatibility for the expansions, and the base game's scenarios, all of which have been on deep discount.

What I'm actually worried about is the price of the tacview addon, as well as its features. Will all models be accurately represented (doubtful, that's a lot)? Will they just use generic models? Will some be bespoke? Will they all be the un-textured red or blue shapes shown in pictures? Can we replace those with textured models? Will the tacview have rudimentary height mapping and 3D structures, a la Google Earth?

Ridiculously excited for this.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

What I'm actually worried about is the price of the tacview addon, as well as its features. Will all models be accurately represented (doubtful, that's a lot)? Will they just use generic models? Will some be bespoke? Will they all be the un-textured red or blue shapes shown in pictures? Can we replace those with textured models? Will the tacview have rudimentary height mapping and 3D structures, a la Google Earth?

Ridiculously excited for this.

Yeah this is something I'm super curious about also.

Google Map/Earth's automatic structure mapping is actually surprisingly good and I'd love to see a game like that take it and combine it with what (from the screenshots) looks like accurate road and highway mapping.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

i hope they model terrain effects for nuclear weapons

Dimitris
Apr 11, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

These are all good questions, but they are more appropriate for the developers of Tacview to address.

Tacview is a completely separate piece of software that is out of WS's control. (That said, we have a good relationship with them them and they have added some things that we have requested in the past).

Dimitris
Apr 11, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Google Map/Earth's automatic structure mapping is actually surprisingly good and I'd love to see a game like that take it and combine it with what (from the screenshots) looks like accurate road and highway mapping.

Tacview does not support this yet AFAIK.

Dimitris
Apr 11, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Stairmaster posted:

i hope they model terrain effects for nuclear weapons

You mean things like a mountain ridge blocking blast and EMP from a low-altitude or ground burst? This is already modeled in CMANO.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

FastestGunAlive posted:

Didn’t see it mentioned: some Spanish Civil War scenarios released for Wars Across the World. Anyone ever check out the base game? I recall it getting ok reviews but never saw it mentioned here
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/08/23/the-flare-path-homage-to-catatonia/

I've played the base game a few months ago. UI is functional, if ugly, but the main problem is that AI is extremely passive. You can find some relatively recent letsplays where AI doesn't do anything at all. Maybe it's better as a multiplayer game.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

The one issue is that the original's base game is rather a bit expensive. But the new one also includes backwards compatibility for the expansions, and the base game's scenarios, all of which have been on deep discount.

Yeah, it's expensive normally but the thing goes on sale every other week.

ARE YOU GUYS SURE YOU'RE GROG DEVELOPERS?!

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Nothing going on in my quiet corner of the Pacific.

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

ARE YOU GUYS SURE YOU'RE GROG DEVELOPERS?!
I demand that Dimitris yells at clouds, the young, Steam, casuals or maybe just someone disagreeing with him to regain his grog cred, otherwise CMANO and CMO discussion will have to be spun out into a different thread.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Uboat devs have madea news post that includes a rough roadmap of their future plans

One tidbit that stuck out as something I had wanted:

quote:

We plan to add a configuration screen soon. There, each player will have the possibility to choose the starting year, exact U-Boat to be roleplayed and the starting crew.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I'm still missing the Type-II boats, but this looks very promising. The crew automation system could be revolutionary.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

New classes of boats are very much likely to be a post-release thing.

Also sad as it is, we're more likely to see the Type IX and XXI than the Type II. Not much love for the Einbaum. :(

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I have a strong urge to jump back into Uboat cause I've really enjoyed my time with it (janky as it has been). But I'm gonna try and hold out for more milestones, in particular I want more allied surface ships. Right now you'll pretty much only ever run into destroyers and cruisers, supposedly there is 1 battleship in the game but it's very rare to come across.

I came across a Steam discussion post regarding this the other day and a dev there responded that they intend to add more ships and they understand the 1 battleship in game now is too rare.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Naval Action trip report:

Game is pretty

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Anyone any opinions on the just released Fantasy General 2?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
I'm enjoying it. I'm restarting the campaign as I had the pre release version, amd i was learning as i went.

I have some videos here.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6WX0yyxWfVTp1R7jFSCT0DZwv7lXop7M

Lotti Fuehrscheim
Jun 13, 2019

Grey Hunter posted:

I'm enjoying it. I'm restarting the campaign as I had the pre release version, amd i was learning as i went.

I have some videos here.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6WX0yyxWfVTp1R7jFSCT0DZwv7lXop7M

I watched some of those video's, but then I stopped, because I didn't want to spoil the campaign for myself too much.

I bought the game on release, because it looks so nice (and I am a sucker like that), but I am a bit worried that the campaign is 'rogue' like, in that when you don't play well enough, you will get more and more troubles getting further - like your play through. So I see myself restarting a lot to optimise the results of each map. But by then all surprise has gone and it becomes more of a puzzle game.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
I'd do WITP guadacanal.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

Deptfordx posted:

The campaign is very feature light and they are obviously going to release a ton of dlc for it like every slitherine game now, so id wait and get the pack

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

dtkozl posted:

The campaign is very feature light and they are obviously going to release a ton of dlc for it like every slitherine game now, so id wait and get the pack

Yeah, Skirmish mode is Barbarians Vs Imperials - so only two factions - so once the campaign is done, there will nto be much life in it.

RedFlag
Nov 22, 2007

Deptfordx posted:

As a huge fan of the original, the gameplay feels right on target - down to the repetitive feeling that comes with having a dozen units to move at the end of each turn that aren’t in place to do anything useful but might conceivably be helpful later on. On the other hand the unit upgrade paths keep the diversity of tactics feeling fresh (helped by the fact that its too early to have an established minmax strategy to follow).

This all might sound like a mixed review but honestly I am loving the old school challenge I am getting out of each level so far. I’ve played this out each night since release and I am looking forward to finishing up the deceptively long invasion campaign - and seeing where they take it from here.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

God loving drat it, every time I upgrade my computer I try to play Combat Mission smoothly and somehow it seems to run worse. I swear to god I wish those simps would improve the loving engine. It's unacceptable, what this computer is capable of, and the way this piece of poo poo software plays. I will never not be mad at this poo poo.

God.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Sep 11, 2019

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
at some point the ideal way to run CM will be to virtualize an early 2000s machine

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Squiggle posted:

God loving drat it, every time I upgrade my computer I try to play Combat Mission smoothly and somehow it seems to run worse. I swear to god I wish those simps would improve the loving engine. It's unacceptable, what this computer is capable of, and the way this piece of poo poo software plays. I will never not be mad at this poo poo.

God.

At least you can play. I never bought the paid upgrade for CMBN, so it just flat out doesn't run in Win10.

Not to denigrate your complaint, as it is completely valid. Just know that you're further ahead than some of us.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

OP posted:

Combat Mission
DO NOT BUY FROM BATTLEFRONT

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

OP posted:
Combat Mission
DO NOT BUY FROM BATTLEFRONT

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

I've owned these loving things for years at this point, as unsatisfying as ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
I feel your pain. I buy every stupid pos game that has the slightest whiff of grog about it, and BF's games look fun as hell, but I refuse to give $ to a company that has been so openly hostile towards its tiny customer base. They don't even try to hide their disdain so that I can pretend not to know about it! I don't get it.