Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Grapplejack posted:

corpse party is the one where everyone dies and it's all horrible, right

No, enough people survive to be in the awful sequels

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I already know more about this series than I ever wanted to. Let's just leave it at that.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Grapplejack posted:

corpse party is the one where everyone dies and it's all horrible, right

at least part of this is true. i didnt finish the game.

and that was after powering past the 'butt medicine' bit. gameplay loop of check everything in each room>use puzzle items on whatever>check each door>repeat was just incredibly exhausting in an rpgmaker game.

GulagDolls fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Sep 8, 2019

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I will say some of the death scenes were *really* well done and creepy. The buried alive one made me stop and go do something else for awhile. Brr

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I've asked repeatedly in this thread but I always lose the download link.

There was a Japanese horror game that got a fan translation a few years back something about a haunted pyramid and I think it originally came out in the 90s? Anyone know what I'm talking about?

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
I think I'm changing my mind on Corpse Party :stare:

Still going to try to get them REs

al-azad
May 28, 2009

This is why I don't read any interviews.

The game has some obvious fetishized bits but I still thought it was effective horror and one of the rare examples of "tell don't show" actually working in its favor. There are some great descriptions, probably thanks to an amazing team of localizers, that just really nail how horrifyingly bleak the scenario is. I had to put the game down when it talks about stabbing someone's eye repeatedly until it turns to goo, all shown on a black screen with generic library sound effects but it loving works.

If you liked the manga The Drifting Classroom I think Corpse Party is a solid recommendation with the caveat the writer was totally getting his rocks off on some scenes. If you can give Lovecraft a pass as he actively compares mixed-race characters to actual monsters I think you'll be fine.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Len posted:

I've asked repeatedly in this thread but I always lose the download link.

There was a Japanese horror game that got a fan translation a few years back something about a haunted pyramid and I think it originally came out in the 90s? Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Shūjin e no Pert-em-Hru?

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

yeah it's peret em heru. fun game

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I can recommend .flow as an excellent and creepy RPGMaker game that isn't skeevy as hell.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
There is a surprising number of really good RPGMaker horror games, really. The Witches' House, Mermaid Swamp, The Crooked Man... I don't really follow the genre, it's too hit and miss, but when it hits, it's actually good.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Seedge posted:

I gave up after a few hours of absolute misery: it's a lot like the Long Dark, with more obtuse and obscure mechanics and "survival" mechanics that feel like chores.

Oh, thanks! That sounds awful.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I finished the blair witch. It was kind of mediocre. A lot of the neat ideas it had were kinda ruined about halfway through when it becomes a worse outlast.

Ferrous
Feb 28, 2010

Cardiovorax posted:

There is a surprising number of really good RPGMaker horror games, really. The Witches' House, Mermaid Swamp, The Crooked Man... I don't really follow the genre, it's too hit and miss, but when it hits, it's actually good.

"Ib" is pretty good too.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
All I've seen of Control is janky shooting and telekenesis powers.

What's the actual horror part of the game like? I'm really tempted because having a tower block of SCP fuckery but written well could be great. But maybe not for 50 quid.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's not really a horror game besides perfectly capturing the uneasy, isolating feeling of municipal office buildings from the 1960s. And this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7t8g3mqAEU

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/manfightdragon/status/1170859463508557824
https://twitter.com/manfightdragon/status/1170860592233472001

still out here thinkin bout PT

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
goddamn PT is so good

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

It's not really a horror game besides perfectly capturing the uneasy, isolating feeling of municipal office buildings from the 1960s. And this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7t8g3mqAEU
Yeah, the answer to any question about the horror elements of Control is pretty much "there isn't one." It's more like playing an episode of The Twilight Zone - weird and possibly disquieting, but by no means really frightening.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Cardiovorax posted:

Yeah, the answer to any question about the horror elements of Control is pretty much "there isn't one." It's more like playing an episode of The Twilight Zone - weird and possibly disquieting, but by no means really frightening.

Thanks for the comments. I'll probably wait until its on sale. I love the idea behind SCP but so much of it is so, so stupid.

And I can't believe we're still finding things out about PT. Will this heartache never end?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Drunken Baker posted:

Thanks for the comments. I'll probably wait until its on sale. I love the idea behind SCP but so much of it is so, so stupid.
The comparison to SCP is really very apt. A lot of the game centers around weird objects that do strange things and that are usually not touched because they can be as dangerous as they can be helpful, so standard Euclid containment basically.

Just as a footnote, I'll also point out that I found the gameplay as such much more shallow and generic than the premise would make you think the game promises to be. So far I have a telekinesis power, a dodge power, a shield power... I assume I would've gotten a double-jump power soon if I hadn't kinda given up on the game. It's not bad, as such, but don't expect too much creativity from it except in the setting itself.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Cardiovorax posted:

The comparison to SCP is really very apt. A lot of the game centers around weird objects that do strange things and that are usually not touched because they can be as dangerous as they can be helpful, so standard Euclid containment basically.

Just as a footnote, I'll also point out that I found the gameplay as such much more shallow and generic than the premise would make you think the game promises to be. So far I have a telekinesis power, a dodge power, a shield power... I assume I would've gotten a double-jump power soon if I hadn't kinda given up on the game. It's not bad, as such, but don't expect too much creativity from it except in the setting itself.

If it helps at all it's a bit more fun than double-jump, but yeah, it definitely feels like it's cribbing from the Metroid playbook at times.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Drunken Baker posted:

And I can't believe we're still finding things out about PT. Will this heartache never end?

Death Stranding will feature a fully playable PT.

(Maybe)

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

It's a shame then because Death Stranding looks terrible.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

sigher posted:

It's a shame then because Death Stranding looks terrible.

b-b-but pissing! and my pals norman and mads!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I've been playing a lot of The Sinking City lately and my opinion after six hours of it is that this game is what Call Of Cthulhu promised to be, but wasn't. Janky as gently caress, but very good.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I played Man of Medan this weekend with a bunch of friends (all of whom I played through Until Dawn with) and I'm still deciding how I felt about it. This feels weird to say about a video game, but I think they may have steered too far into interactivity and replayability for our tastes. Until Dawn sort of worked for my group because it was so "filmic"-- we played it a couple of times and had different experiences and endings, but you always felt like there was a thought-out structure to how the story was presented, and because it always played out the same way, possibly with some minor changes or timings here or there, it was fun for me to discuss the game with other people who had played it to discover how differently things could have gone. Also, because almost every scene was likely to have the same or slightly different characters, the characters felt pretty fleshed out and identifiable (and admittedly archetypal or stereotypical depending on taste).

Man of Medan, on the other hand, we were all kind of hard pressed to say much of anything about a couple of the characters, and the scenes felt a little generic-- explicitly written to be slotted together in any number of combinations, since you could drastically change what characters were in which scenes, and when things happened (or so it seemed to us, we only played through the game once). I also think the Movie Night mode might have been less fun than the sort of loose, collective way we played through Until Dawn-- instead of collectively deciding who we thought should act like a massive idiot or the genre-savvy horror survivor, I think in general we felt pretty corralled into ambiguous decisions, and some of the people "playing" (three people do not enjoy playing horror games, but enjoy watching them, so I ended up controlling their sections) were less apt to make interesting, if objectively dumb, decisions because they were worried it would get another player's "character" killed and reduce their enjoyment of the experience. It was a good thing I was controlling other characters, too, since (light-medium spoiler, I guess) I lucked into a situation where the character I was controlling was effectively out of the picture for most of the game which would have been very disappointing if I was tied to the idea that I was playing that character. Ultimately we chucked the whole Movie Night idea out the window and just started playing the way we played Until Dawn-- a kind of three-steps-back distance where we were more interested in the story being told and playing through a horror movie, rather than being individually invested in "our" characters.

That might just be a quirk of the group I played with, though, who knows. As others have said in this thread, there were also weird technical issues (we only caught a couple and they didn't ruin the experience by any means) and the highly-interchangeable plot sometimes left us with weird gaps in scenes where it feels like there's a character missing who would have added more information. We had at least one scene where we honestly couldn't follow the narrative thread because one character leaped to a very dumb conclusion, seemingly out of nowhere, that nobody was really talking about. I can only assume if something had played out differently earlier, then someone would have actually brought up whatever the gently caress he was talking about and it wouldn't have felt so much like he was going off the deep end without provocation. I also think that while there were some interesting domino-effect moments, I don't think the Bearings system was executed as well as the Butterfly Effect from Until Dawn. They're the same thing, basically, but while in UD we felt like we could trace back what dumb past decision got us in a terrible situation, or got a character killed, we had a harder time intuiting how a choice to take or leave something, or to send one person somewhere versus another, actually resulted in major plot points.

All this makes it sound like we didn't enjoy the game, but we really did, and it was a great (if overly jump-scarey) horror game experience, and the whole group is pretty excited to give it another try later, with maybe more of an Until Dawn approach where we kind of collectively decide who's gonna make out on the other end.

Also I'm curious about one thing regarding the plot/ending, for anybody who might have played the game more than once (major, major spoiler) is the ending always that everybody's hallucinating due to the gas? Are all the supernatural elements just hallucinations? Or is there the possibility that, based on your decisions, there's a different outcome? We were really thrown by some of the ghost-y things that pop up, and the whole ballroom sequence, only to find out that the ending was, to be generous, kind of a twist on the "it was a dream the whole time" trope.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Cardiovorax posted:

I've been playing a lot of The Sinking City lately and my opinion after six hours of it is that this game is what Call Of Cthulhu promised to be, but wasn't. Janky as gently caress, but very good.

Trouble with Sinking City is that there another 15 odd hours after that just doing the same things over and over.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

Trouble with Sinking City is that there another 15 odd hours after that just doing the same things over and over.
Well, I've certainly played games where I've gotten less than 8+ now for the same amount of money, but I'll remember this and see if it really drops off that hard for me.

Even so, it's still better than the four hours of worse everything that was Call of Cthulhu.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

MockingQuantum posted:

(man of medan stuff)

I haven't played Man of Medan, but I know what you're talking about with the feeling of stitched-together scenes, this was exactly how I felt about Hidden Agenda (though obviously that game had its own set of flaws).

I suspect we'll pick this one up to play on our game night as well, when it goes on sale probably.

Incidentally, the Inpatient was a pretty good time for us too, though that one was a lot shorter and simpler.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Morpheus posted:

I haven't played Man of Medan, but I know what you're talking about with the feeling of stitched-together scenes, this was exactly how I felt about Hidden Agenda (though obviously that game had its own set of flaws).

I suspect we'll pick this one up to play on our game night as well, when it goes on sale probably.

Incidentally, the Inpatient was a pretty good time for us too, though that one was a lot shorter and simpler.

Yeah it has a lot of the same narrative issues as Hidden Agenda. With both, there was a certain degree of us going "wait that's it?" at the end of the game. Not because it was shorter than we expected (though I think if I hadn't done research into how long Medan was and kind of warned my group of friends, it probably would have surprised them a bit), but more because the adaptive narrative doesn't do a great job of pacing things at the end of the game depending on who's left and how you got there. It felt a bit like the climax of the story came too early in our playthrough, but I could see other playthroughs feeling completely different depending on what choices you made.

That's one thing I'll give Until Dawn over Medan: the ending portion of UD where you're standing still in the house with the multiple wendigos felt tense and climactic every time we played, and was arguably much more tense the time we managed to keep everybody alive, which is a point in its favor for me. But it still managed to feel tense the first time when we barely had anybody alive at the end.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Until Dawn was just alot more narratively cohesive and flowed better than Man of Medan. There were multiple times during a Medan playthrough where the characters would just swing mood or attitude drastically, and when things just happened disjointedly and all you could say was "Wait, what? How did that happen?". Never had that reaction throughout Until Dawn.

vvv: It was alot more pronounced in Medan. In Until Dawn I actually came around on alot of characters, even the bitchy one you're meant to start out hating.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Sep 11, 2019

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I'd also say that it has a lot of the same issues as Until Dawn, in that I found few of the player characters sympathetic enough that I wanted to follow them around for an entire game.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Kokoro Wish posted:

Until Dawn was just alot more narratively cohesive and flowed better than Man of Medan. There were multiple times during a Medan playthrough where the characters would just swing mood or attitude drastically, and when things just happened disjointedly and all you could say was "Wait, what? How did that happen?". Never had that reaction throughout Until Dawn.

vvv: It was alot more pronounced in Medan. In Until Dawn I actually came around on alot of characters, even the bitchy one you're meant to start out hating.

That reminds me, the other big hiccup with the whole Movie Night "you get to be one of the characters!" idea is that there was more than one instance of one guy's character doing or saying things (during another character's chapter) that ran really counter to how he had been playing the character, or felt like it really should have been something he had input on. It's another issue that kind of goes away if you don't do Movie Night and don't think of them as "your" character but it felt like a bit of a design mis-step.

edit: I didn't have any issue with the characters in Until Dawn, I felt like even the ones that were unsympathetic were intentionally so, in a standard horror movie kind of way, where they're there mostly for you to hope they die. And yeah, even then I was rooting for most or all of the characters by the end. I thought most of the characters in Medan just felt a lot more flat or undeveloped to me. I think that could be chalked up to the setup for Medan being a bit weaker than Until Dawn. UD had a history between the characters, which did a good job of kind of giving you a shorthand on who the characters were based on how they interacted with each other, while Medan lacked some of that history, plus I think the characters were intentionally more broadly drawn to facilitate players having more decision space through the course of the game, but that's just a guess.

MockingQuantum fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Sep 11, 2019

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Oh wow, Kokoro Wish still lives. You've been on my ignore list for so long I had entirely forgotten about you. Maybe I should re-evaluate that thing sometime.

MockingQuantum posted:

That reminds me, the other big hiccup with the whole Movie Night "you get to be one of the characters!" idea is that there was more than one instance of one guy's character doing or saying things (during another character's chapter) that ran really counter to how he had been playing the character, or felt like it really should have been something he had input on.
Yeah, see, that's a serious problem. The blonde girl? Played her as a lot nicer and not so unpleasant as she turns out to be whenever you switch characters. This really made a difference for me, because what is the point of getting to establish a character when nothing you do really has any presence beyond your immediate input? Turns all those claims about "your choices matter" kind of ad absurdum.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Another thing with Man of Medan was that the title screen almost made me believe a certain psychiatrist would reappear. Was disappointed for a little while.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Mindblast posted:

Another thing with Man of Medan was that the title screen almost made me believe a certain psychiatrist would reappear. Was disappointed for a little while.

Same, though I thought the Curator was neat.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

The curator and his booze flask were way better than the creepy psychiatrist.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

The curator and his booze flask were way better than the creepy psychiatrist.

I really, really liked Peter Stormare as the psychiatrist, but I think the Curator is probably a better option as the sort of Cryptkeeper (or we thought, Rod Serling) of the series. The psychiatrist (and the whole office gimmick) worked well in UD but I think it would wear thin over multiple games.

I wouldn't have said no to Peter Stormare as the Curator though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Just started RE2 holy gently caress this game is stressful. I always find stress more powerful than just fear, as fear tends to happen in a quick moment and after a while you ease up. The thing about survival horror games is the fear might alleviate but the tension/stress is persistent because of your lack of resources.

Also did anyone here try Green Hell?