Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem
https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-watc...0YQ&step=detail

Ugh gently caress me, looks like I am going to do it again, spend another $1100 like I did three years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Clark Nova posted:

Yeah but I'd be able to see the time at 5AM in bed without having to boop it with my nose

Holy poo poo I thought I was the only person to nose navigate the apple watch in bed.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ultimate Mango posted:

Holy poo poo I thought I was the only person to nose navigate the apple watch in bed.

Sup, fellow nose booper

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Ultimate Mango posted:

I never do that in bed but I frequently dismiss things with my nose if my right hand is occupied.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

SeANMcBAY posted:

I never do that in bed but I frequently dismiss things with my nose if my right hand is occupied.

Better your nose than the object of your right hand's attention.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Ultimate Mango posted:

Better your nose than the object of your right hand's attention.

Says you

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

When I customize my watch, it only adds fifty bucks for the Milanese Band. Isn’t normally $100 more than the standard sport loop? Cause that’s a decent $50 off if it’s not a bug.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Pants Donkey posted:

When I customize my watch, it only adds fifty bucks for the Milanese Band. Isn’t normally $100 more than the standard sport loop? Cause that’s a decent $50 off if it’s not a bug.

Milanese and leather loop got price drops.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Pants Donkey posted:

Is it because the Watch just won't come with the sports band at all? The sports band alone retails for 50.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

well I did it

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm confused. You seem to already have a link bracelet, so why buy another?

Violator
May 15, 2003

Bum the Sad posted:

well I did it

That looks super nice.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
The link bracelet is nice. I still have my S0 link. It's in great condition. I don't know about the silver, but the space black variant of the watch and band have some sort of coating that makes them drat near invincible.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Any updates on being able to disable always on screen and get infinity hours of battery life?

I can't imagine going to 18 hours of advertised life after going two days with my launch day s2

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

TraderStav posted:

Any updates on being able to disable always on screen and get infinity hours of battery life?

I can't imagine going to 18 hours of advertised life after going two days with my launch day s2
Apple Watches have all been advertised as having 18 hours of life iirc...so I imagine it might be the same as the rest as far as actual usage battery life.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

Endless Mike posted:

I'm confused. You seem to already have a link bracelet, so why buy another?

Eh it's a little beat up, I want a shiny new one to match my shiny new watch.

Violator posted:

That looks super nice.

Yeah man I've had the Series 2 SS with Link for three years now and get constant compliments on it. I used to wear Tags so when I got the apple watch I wanted to get something that looked equally formal and would make me never look back at my traditional watches.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Does the series 3 get the :siren: loud noises :siren: functionality or just the 5?

Im probably gonna buy the series 3 watch from the person at work for a steal now that the 5s are announced, although I really want that functionality as I tend to do go to a lot of loud venues and would like to know if its risking my hearing. I wear earplugs to concerts but even some bars/clubs can be too loud and I noticed the ringing in my ears afterwards.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Laserface posted:

Does the series 3 get the :siren: loud noises :siren: functionality or just the 5?

Im probably gonna buy the series 3 watch from the person at work for a steal now that the 5s are announced, although I really want that functionality as I tend to do go to a lot of loud venues and would like to know if its risking my hearing. I wear earplugs to concerts but even some bars/clubs can be too loud and I noticed the ringing in my ears afterwards.

You don’t need the watch to tell you that it’s definitely loving with your ears.

Get the 3

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Laserface posted:

According to everything I’ve read, the Noise app will be part of WatchOS6, so it should work with a 3 (I guess).

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

You don’t need the watch to tell you that it’s definitely loving with your ears.

Get the 3

yeah I know that, but occasionally I forget or I am working with power tools or something else, and that info would be a good reminder to put on hearing protection.

I religiously take my earplugs with me if I go anywhere I know is loud or havent been to before, but its other impromptu stuff or non-music related things like power tools that I totally blank on until Im 20min in to using a hole saw on sheet metal and wondering why I cant hear anything.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Guarantee that Apple is going to restrict that to the 5 because reasons.

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

during the beta the noise app was only on 4, not series 3..

In the past they’ve had features (swimming workout for example) on the s0, during beta season but once the s2 came out the function went away.

Would not be shocked if it’s 5-only but I highly doubt it will get onto the series 3..

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

It’s on 4 at least. Just installed the GM on my 4.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Reposting this because the original has literally disappeared from the thread and my posting history: Both ismoothrun and Runkeeper on my Apple Watch keep stopping their audio cues after several uses. I've reinstalled both multiple times and keeps happening. It's infuriating. Any ideas?

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007
Nothing useful; I am hopeful the next watchOS let’s developers do more on it.

I only have 4-5 apps on mine, and barely use those ones too. Apple has not allowed developers to use the best API’s on the watch which means a lot of apps are not Great. Or possible...

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Violator posted:

That looks super nice.

The link is nice but it’s kind of a dress band imo if that makes sense. I’m not a huge fan of typing or doing anything too active with it on. The silver version also scuffs kinda easy on the bottom if you rest it on/move it over the wrong surface.

Super pretty though for a bit dressier look.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I guess Apple-Only faces make more sense now that we have always-on displays, and they’ve definitely designed some to read better with the low-light display.

I’d still rather have third-party faces (also, Apple would make bank selling them), but at least it makes a bit more sense?

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
Engadget claims to have confirmed from an Apple rep that you can disable the always-on screen on the 5. No word on battery life impact.

quote:

Fortunately, if you feel as I do, an Apple spokesperson confirms that it is possible to disable the always-on feature.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

What kind of use do they take into account? Because as of now, my 4 lasts for about a day and a half. No idea what it would do if the face was always on.

If it will double my battery life I might upgrade — and 18 hour battery life with the screen on all of the time makes me think four days with my usage level might be feasible. I’m not sure why this information is difficult to find out but I guess focusing on the 18 hour life is the priority.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I’m sure it won’t be a massive jump in battery life with that disabled or they would have advertised it.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

colachute posted:

What kind of use do they take into account? Because as of now, my 4 lasts for about a day and a half. No idea what it would do if the face was always on.

If it will double my battery life I might upgrade — and 18 hour battery life with the screen on all of the time makes me think four days with my usage level might be feasible. I’m not sure why this information is difficult to find out but I guess focusing on the 18 hour life is the priority.

There's no way you're gonna get double the battery life. The idle screen goes into a super super low-power mode that only shows certain screen features to not affect battery at all. If an always-on screen had that much of an impact on battery life them they would be touting the extra battery life as a headlining feature, not an always-on screen.

It's gonna add like an hour of battery life with it off and people are going to be mad for some reason.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The ones that will be mad are the ones that charge their battery every day anyway lmao

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
I feel like the battery life gains from the AW5 screen being off is going to be extremely minimal. The screen and display driver are where all of the efficiency improvements are coming from, a more efficient OLED and a display that only updates once per second are going to take an extremely small amount of power.
The battery is only so large and a pretty big chunk of the power usage comes from the display. I could see scenarios where the low power always on display could increase battery life by decreasing the frequency of doing a “full wake up” of having the brightness turned up and the screen going to 60hz.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeah, it's gonna add like 5 minutes extra and the internet is going to rage. I can't wait.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Apple always downplays battery estimates, so it’ll be decent. Most people are getting more than 18 hours from their watches.

It also means when we get multi-day battery life that it WILL last that long. So many other watches promise like five days and die well before that.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Yeah, it's gonna add like 5 minutes extra and the internet is going to rage. I can't wait.
I'm looking forward to someone on the MacRumors forums complaining about always on screen Mickey not animating until they turn their wrist.

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon
I wish they offered the stainless and other more durable models without the cellular. I'm okay with paying a small premium for the durability, but I hate throwing away an additional $100 for functionality I'll never use (or even buy service for). Just going to have to go with an aluminum one again and cross my finger I don't scratch the screen too much (since others have asked, this has happened to me when falling/bumping into stuff, usually while doing something active)

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
I don’t think I’m upgrade my Apple Watch, but I would be really torn on the always on display. My first apple warch was me switching from Pebble (RIP) to it, and I remember liking that it was NOT always on. Especially because I face customers all day, and it was really awkward with the pebble to get notifications like “gently caress so and so” and having to quickly turn my watch away from a customer.

From the looks, I’m assuming apple wont be showing notifications unless it’s raised to look, but still. I have never felt like I needed back any type of always on display.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Yeah I'm curious how they're handling notifications, or if there'll be an option for that. There's been times where I've felt them come in while the watch was within view and I couldn't tilt or tap, so I'd have a use for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I'm going from s2 stainless to s5 titanium. I bought a refurb s2 when s3 came out to try out the watch and besides AirPods, it's my favourite and most used Apple device.