Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Meatgrinder posted:

that's-bait.gif

unrelated: your avatar just gave me a shock of flashbacks of my mom religiously watching Medisch Centrum West when I was a kid

Eq1 casters are easier since you only have to manage 8 spells at a time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i played a warrior in wow and sleep walked to max level.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

please knock Mom! posted:

Eq1 casters are easier since you only have to manage 8 spells at a time

Alternatively, EQ casters are harder since you are forced to manage only 8 spells at a time.

gepgepgep
May 22, 2006

Dustoph posted:

Alternatively, EQ casters are harder since you are forced to manage only 8 spells at a time.

Agreed! I would also argue that having to carefully manage what spells you'd need at any given time was more of an obstacle than a simplification. Good bar management, especially with tricks like 1st slot gem refresh on clicky, were by far a lot more fun than 5 hotbars of whatever you want, whenever. Not many trash pulls in WoW classic required as much forethought that I can recall.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Playing a Shaman in EQ can be irritating at times since there's 100 buffs people want and only 8 slots.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

Ginette Reno posted:

Playing a Shaman in EQ can be irritating at times since there's 100 buffs people want and only 8 slots.

That really is one of the very few downsides to playing a shaman. Even at low levels you're almost as good as a warrior.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Relayer posted:

That really is one of the very few downsides to playing a shaman. Even at low levels you're almost as good as a warrior.

I also find spamming cannibalize kind of annoying. I wish it worked like the Necro one where you just throw the buff on and regen mana faster rather than spamming a button. I mean I guess cannibalize is better in that you can lower your health at the exact rate you need to get the exact amount of mana you want but it sucks doing that canni dance all the time.

Of course Shamans can do good damage, solo, heal, buff, travel fast and all of that so even with those annoyances it's still a really strong and often fun class to play.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
When I'm low-efforting my shaman I just spam canni I/II in between clickies without sitting until my HP is on par with my mana, then just sit the rest of the time. It certainly isn't as efficient as dancing but it's much less of a hassle.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
I honestly just don't use canni unless I'm trying to heroically solo something. I can count on one hand the number of times my group\raid would have wiped if I wasn't canni dancing. It's available so you feel like you have to do it but you really don't 99% of the time.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.

Loan Dusty Road posted:

Except spells mem so fast you can easily hot swap spells constantly.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

insider posted:

Except spells mem so fast you can easily hot swap spells constantly.

At Max level with high skills and lower level spells sure. Ever try to mem gate at level 16 with a train rolling your way? Sweet sweet adrenaline.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

aparmenideanmonad posted:

At Max level with high skills and lower level spells sure. Ever try to mem gate at level 16 with a train rolling your way? Sweet sweet adrenaline.

Man, I'd always always keep Gate memorized on my druid for just that reason, but I was never playing optimal.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

A Strange Aeon posted:

Man, I'd always always keep Gate memorized on my druid for just that reason, but I was never playing optimal.

I think it's like the guy said above about canni: when you really think about it you probably only need a certain few spells. Having gate on your bar instead of some other spell you only use situationally is probably not terrible.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Ginette Reno posted:

I think it's like the guy said above about canni: when you really think about it you probably only need a certain few spells. Having gate on your bar instead of some other spell you only use situationally is probably not terrible.

I played on Red as well which meant there were sometimes situations where I wanted to get away that couldn't be adequately prepared for in advance, so the unpredictability of doing zone checks and getting ready to scram made it seem like a good idea.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

Pet window changes reverted for the most part but hotbar ban still in place: https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=333558

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Went to pick up Surefall TPs and they're marked level 255. So much for that.

Hic Sunt Dracones
Apr 3, 2004
Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.
I just started on P99 in earnest. I goofed around for a week or so in 2010 but made it only to level 15. I heard someone reference the upcoming Green server and decided to return for it (though I am well aware it'll be a mess of drama and poopsocking). To get back into EQ in the meantime, I'm playing a Halfling cleric on Blue, now in my mid 20s, and I've been having a great time. I played EQ obsessively from roughly '99-'03, so I'm not new to the game in general, but I don't have much of a handle on this server's community or economy. Accordingly, I wanted to post here with a couple questions.

Where am I likely to be able to find groups in my mid to late 20s? I've been living in Unrest since 15, which is fun, but I wouldn't mind a change. Am I too low for Mistmoore? Do people still group in SK? Cazic Thule? Warsliks? Lake of Ill Omen? I don't know what's actually populated on Blue nowadays and don't want to spend an hour or more traveling to an empty zone. I'd particularly welcome a place where I can pull in a bit of money to expand my mana pool, though I understand that'll come on its own eventually (and it's even kind of a fun nostalgia kick to be wearing mostly bronze again).

Could anyone recommend a sociable guild for while I level? This thread suggests the primary Goon guild isn't active much anymore. It does seem like the community is quite friendly so far, sort of like the best parts I remember of it from original EQ; I guess that's likely since it naturally skews older than most online games as we dumb aggressive teenagers aged into mellower thirty-somethings. I imagine there's probably a lot more acrimony at the endgame raiding level, but that's a long way away for me.

If anyone wants to say hi or group with a mid/upper 20s cleric, my character's name is Melba, and I've joined the Discord chat under the handle Zelbor.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Hic Sunt Dracones posted:

I just started on P99 in earnest. I goofed around for a week or so in 2010 but made it only to level 15. I heard someone reference the upcoming Green server and decided to return for it (though I am well aware it'll be a mess of drama and poopsocking). To get back into EQ in the meantime, I'm playing a Halfling cleric on Blue, now in my mid 20s, and I've been having a great time. I played EQ obsessively from roughly '99-'03, so I'm not new to the game in general, but I don't have much of a handle on this server's community or economy. Accordingly, I wanted to post here with a couple questions.

Where am I likely to be able to find groups in my mid to late 20s? I've been living in Unrest since 15, which is fun, but I wouldn't mind a change. Am I too low for Mistmoore? Do people still group in SK? Cazic Thule? Warsliks? Lake of Ill Omen? I don't know what's actually populated on Blue nowadays and don't want to spend an hour or more traveling to an empty zone.

There aren't too many open world zones people group level in. Most people go CB -> Unrest -> MM/HH -> CoM due to experience modifiers. Most other dungeons are BYOG. You can probably go solo, slowly, anywhere with undead. People kill stuff in LOIO but it's more like soloers who group together sometimes.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
There used to be some groups in upper guk for mid 20s, but I'm not sure if that's a thing any more. SolA is excellent in that level range but is definitely BYOG.

Unrest is honestly great for a cleric until 35ish if you are game to solo basement and then tower once you outlevel the main room and fireplace groups. You're basically a wizard with buffs and heals vs undead, though the couple non-undead mobs can be annoying.

aparmenideanmonad fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Sep 11, 2019

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
I'm so pumped for green, it's gonna be such a clusterfuck it'll be glorious. When p99 first launched the pop was only like 150-200 at peak hours (anyone else remember the server wide /ooc?). This time the pop will be much closer to an actual EQ server from 1999

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

It'll be nice to be able to get lowbie groups that aren't just one 60 druid power leveling guildies

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Relayer posted:

I'm so pumped for green, it's gonna be such a clusterfuck it'll be glorious. When p99 first launched the pop was only like 150-200 at peak hours (anyone else remember the server wide /ooc?). This time the pop will be much closer to an actual EQ server from 1999

Yes, and places like blackburrow and crushbone still felt crowded. It was also riddled with money exploits, incorrect spawns and drops, and unclassic mechanics that made many things overpowered (charm, WTYH, pets, etc). It is going to be amazing and amazingly terrible all at the same time. I'm still planning on only experiencing vicariously, so I look forward to goon stories.

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003

Hic Sunt Dracones posted:

Where am I likely to be able to find groups in my mid to late 20s? I've been living in Unrest since 15, which is fun, but I wouldn't mind a change. Am I too low for Mistmoore? Do people still group in SK? Cazic Thule? Warsliks? Lake of Ill Omen? I don't know what's actually populated on Blue nowadays and don't want to spend an hour or more traveling to an empty zone. I'd particularly welcome a place where I can pull in a bit of money to expand my mana pool, though I understand that'll come on its own eventually (and it's even kind of a fun nostalgia kick to be wearing mostly bronze again).

Could anyone recommend a sociable guild for while I level? This thread suggests the primary Goon guild isn't active much anymore. It does seem like the community is quite friendly so far, sort of like the best parts I remember of it from original EQ; I guess that's likely since it naturally skews older than most online games as we dumb aggressive teenagers aged into mellower thirty-somethings. I imagine there's probably a lot more acrimony at the endgame raiding level, but that's a long way away for me.

If anyone wants to say hi or group with a mid/upper 20s cleric, my character's name is Melba, and I've joined the Discord chat under the handle Zelbor.

Best place in the game for you between 24-34 is HHK goblins. There’s a group there about 24/7. Usually a list, but I’ve never personally had to wait more than 20 mins to get in.

Exp is insane, fastest in the game, and money is great because ore bricks and ears drop that sell really well to merchants and other players respectively.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Yes, and places like blackburrow and crushbone still felt crowded. It was also riddled with money exploits, incorrect spawns and drops, and unclassic mechanics that made many things overpowered (charm, WTYH, pets, etc). It is going to be amazing and amazingly terrible all at the same time. I'm still planning on only experiencing vicariously, so I look forward to goon stories.

Speaking of overpowered... Does anyone have a list of powerful stuff that will be in Green early to take advantage of that gets nerfed later besides the obvious items that will be removed? For Druid for example your lower level dot lines stacked with your higher ones, and the dots ticked for full damage when a mob was just snared instead of rooted. Also didn't pets give full exp early in Classic without having to do 50% damage yourself? Any other things anyone can think of?

gepgepgep
May 22, 2006
My assumption is that things like having to do >50% of damage vs. pet (and pets being incredibly strong) will not be in for a limited time. Those decisions were design choices by the devs when they implemented to nerf certain classes.

Hic Sunt Dracones
Apr 3, 2004
Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

retpocileh posted:

Best place in the game for you between 24-34 is HHK goblins. There’s a group there about 24/7. Usually a list, but I’ve never personally had to wait more than 20 mins to get in.

Exp is insane, fastest in the game, and money is great because ore bricks and ears drop that sell really well to merchants and other players respectively.

Thanks for this suggestion! HHK was so completely camped with an endless waitlist (or guild groups that took only their own) on my server back in the day that I'd forgotten to even consider going there. I've made two levels (30 now!) and a decent amount of cash since arriving in High Keep yesterday evening.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
I prefer less xp per mob but having a cozy secluded spot with lots of spawns VS waiting forever on a list to get a highly contested xp camp that might not even actually be faster when you factor in the wait time and lack of alive mobs

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Relayer posted:

I prefer less xp per mob but having a cozy secluded spot with lots of spawns VS waiting forever on a list to get a highly contested xp camp that might not even actually be faster when you factor in the wait time and lack of alive mobs

so many evenings after school wasted shouting to see if the orc camps had open slots in EC.

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003

Relayer posted:

I feel you, but I really think HHK gobs is the exception. I did a necro to 60 on P99 last year, tons of soloing secluded spots and dabbling in duos, trios, groups, etc. 9/10 times soloing beat the poo poo out of anything a group could do, even not accounting for wait time to get in, usually didn't even come close.

HHK Gobs though, man, that place is the poo poo. Nothing else really compares.

gepgepgep
May 22, 2006
HHK Guards/Nobles/Bards is also a pretty sweet spot. Depends on your appetite for ruining some factions.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Info on green was just posted.

https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=333743

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

In case you can't read that site at work:

Introducing Project 1999: Green, to be released on October 25, 2019 (Early Afternoon Eastern Time)

Project 1999 Green is a new PVE server without any patches or expansions enabled upon release. Old-style mechanics and drops will be enabled, including legacy items such as Guise of the Deceiver and Manastone. The server will then progress through all patches on the same timeline as Everquest's original launch, all the way up to the last patch in Velious. This means that based on an October 2019 launch date, the following are a few major timeline changes:

* January 2020: Plane of Fear
* April 2020: Plane of Hate
* May 2020: Temple of Solusek Ro opens / Legacy items cease to drop
* August 2020: Plane of Sky
* November 2020: Ruins of Kunark
* April 2021: Epics
* July 2021: Scars of Velious
* The above list is not exhaustive; each month will have unlocks of patches from March 1999 to December 2001.

Green Lifetime
The green server will, at a time yet to be decided, eventually merge into blue and start over again. This merge will not happen until at least 6 months after the last patch in velious (No earlier than January 2023).

Blue Server
The blue server will always be open and remain at its current point in the timeline, with possibly some custom content being added to keep things interesting in a 'classically inspired' style.

Multiple Green Servers
Many players have expressed concern about the population that a Green server may bring, and that we may need to open more than one server to satisfy that interest. At this time we are not planning to open a second server, but we will address and evaluate this as needed. We are also not ruling out new servers before Green has reached the end of Velious. However, servers powerful enough to handle thousands of players are not easily acquired for a project like ours, which brings us to our next topic..

Donations
Much of our hardware is aging and becoming unreliable. We will also need to consider the resources needed to host potentially thousands of players on a regular basis across Green, Blue, and whatever else is to come. We are currently in the process of procurring new equipment, but as always donations are greatly appreciated. As a reminder, this project operates off of donations alone, and donations do not go to anything other than covering the expenses of equipment and hosting. None of the staff receive any monetary compensation for the work we do, as it is all strictly volunteer.

Lists
We would like players to have their fair shot at obtaining limited time items, and to that end we are devising a system for a server-kept 'list' of players in line to loot said item. Upon entering a zone or camp area, you will be able to enter a command to add yourself to the list for this item. While your name is on that list you must remain in the zone or camp vicinity until your name reaches the top (You'll have a limited time to re-enter the zone or area in case of disconnection). Once your name is up, and the item drops, you will automatically be granted exclusive permission to loot that item from the corpse. We hope this system will prevent the practice of passing camps and/or items to friends, corpsing additional items, and so on. We believe this should closely mimic how the majority of camps were handled in classic Everquest, and is the best solution to mechanically enforce it. More details about this system will be announced prior to launch.

Development
Development will not stop for Green and Blue. The project will continue to make adjustments to fix bugs and restore classic functionality as it becomes possible to do so. There may also be things that weren't properly 'era locked' when implemented that may need to be adjusted. We will also be considering additional content for Blue that may be custom in nature, but adhering to a classic feel.

Raid Rules
The CSR Team will be addressing raiding concerns in a separate, new thread in the Raid Discussion forum. Most of the raid rules will stay as they are, with First to Engage being the primary mechanism. There may be special considerations similar to Blue, such as Plane of Sky. This is still being discussed internally.

Play Nice Policy
Staff will be on hand to watch over the launch to make sure players are abiding by the Play Nice Policy. Many zones will be crowded, and we expect groups to stick to their camps and not be dipping into camps that another group is camping. The 25 Mob AE Limit will be in place, but we will evaluate this and change as necessary.

Guide Applications
If you intend to play on Green or not, we will be recruiting more Guides. If interested, please post (or reply) a thread in the Guide Application forum. Make sure to follow the template in the sticky, and also please mention if you intend to play Green, Blue, Both, or Neither.

Boxing
As usual with all Project 1999 servers, boxing will NOT be allowed. However, as is currently the case with Blue and Red, you may play one character per server at the same time.

Character Names
You will not be able to create a character on Green with the same name as a character on Blue, unless you are on the same account that owns that character on Blue. We may also bring the server up early to allow character creations ahead of time. We will try to announce this as much in advance as we can.

Beta Server
We intend to hold a brief Public Beta as soon as the hardware is in place for the Green server

insider
Feb 22, 2007

I can't believe it's actually happening. Of course I'm out ot town the first weekend of it too haha. Oh well will let people spread out a bit.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
That list system is going to be designed with the best intentions. It will still end up being way worse for everyone involved, players and especially staff, than just letting people be assholes to each other without bringing in all the system-gaming and rules-lawyering and FRAPSing that server supported lists will encourage.

And I say this as one of the many people who never got to loot a manastone on blue because of 24-7 guild camps being continuously handed off.

aparmenideanmonad fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Sep 13, 2019

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

drat on my birthday week. it's like they know.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
As someone who actually had a manastone forever I spent far more time looking at it in my bank saying "I can't believe how much time I wasted on this loving thing" than I did actually using it.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

I have to imagine 99% of the people who will camp for a Manastone only even want it so they can sell it to someone a year down the line.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
Yeah I always thought a manastone, much like canni, is kind of useless outside of very specific tight situations. The vast majority of wipe saves don't hinge on that one crucial manastone click, maybe like 1% of them ever. Selling it for like 200k and twinking an alt is pretty fun though.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.
Manastone is god tier on a Wizard/Druid with the right gear. Otherwise is poo poo terrible but it's great for swindling rubes out of 800k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

shirunei posted:

Manastone is god tier on a Wizard/Druid with the right gear. Otherwise is poo poo terrible but it's great for swindling rubes out of 800k.

What makes it good for a Wizard? I'd figure it would be kinda risky to use when you have no way to regen that lost health.