Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Duke Chin posted:

Didn't know poo poo about this one so I went and looked it up and

Casualties and losses
French Union
1,571–2,293 dead
5,195–6,650 wounded
1,729 missing
11,721 captured (of which 4,436 wounded)
62 aircraft and 10 tanks lost
167 aircraft damaged

Totally not CIA
2 dead

Vietnamese figures:
4,020 dead
9,118 wounded
792 missing
French estimate: 8,000 dead and 15,000 wounded

:stare: jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezus

Source: Fury #1, Vol. 1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I think the battle of Ramree Island in WWII takes the cake for dying from, “being surrounded”.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

It's probably possible to find an example where leadership was more wrong, but I'll leave that to others.

Custer is my go-to.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

soy posted:

probably no daesh commander ever: hmm this is a great totally exposed island with limited exfil routes, totally surrounded by high ground, lets setup our fob here!

OTOH these are the guys who took in Abu Hajar

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Godholio posted:

Custer is my go-to.

Custer's death didn't lead to the end of American expansion into the West, though.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Custer's death didn't lead to the end of American expansion into the West, though.

Very true.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Duzzy Funlop posted:

:ssh: roughly half of all applicants to the foreign legion after '45 were Germans, and the legion had several battalions at Dien Bien Phu :ssh:

Apparently the main source of FFL recruits after 1945 was Eastern Europeans fleeing Soviet occupation, not Germans, and in "Hell In A Very Small Place" Bernard Fall notes:

quote:

On March 12, 1954 - the day before the battle began in earnest - there were a total of 2,969 Foreign Legionnaires in the fortress, out of a garrison of 10,814. Of the almost 4,300 parachuted reinforcements, a total of 962 belonged to the Foreign Legion. Even if one wrongly assumes (there were important Spanish and Eastern European elements among the Legionnaires at Dien Bien Phu) that 50% of the Legionnaires were German, then only 1,900 men out of more than 15,000 who participated in the battle could have been of German origin.

He also notes that the average age of a Legionnaire in Indochina in 1954 was around 23 years, which means our hypothetical Dieters would have been 14 or so during the fall of Berlin.

The myth mostly comes from A) Communist propaganda and B) Nazi fanboys jacking off over the book "Devil's Guard" by Robert Lewis Elford which is entirely fiction and inspired SEALs to commit war crimes in Afghanistan. IIRC historians with access to the Legion's records apparently found that 100 or so ex-SS members had joined the Legion shortly after the war which was followed by a purge in 1947 when the French government noticed. Which is more than the US Army did.

What actually happened with the Germans was they either fled through Spain, or went home and then got jobs in the new governments and armies, on both sides of the Iron Curtain.

Now there was another group called BILOM, but that was comprised of French prisoners (general collaborators, ex-Vichy/Milice or SS Charlemagne volunteers) who had sentences under 15 years and were offered partial pardons for military service, but this wasn't part of the Legion and was essentially just a regular penal unit. From what I remember it was broken up in 1949-1950 due to both political concerns and a lack of volunteers, and most of them were either demobilized, sent back to prison, or ended up in other colonial units.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

dien bien phu gets funnier when you realize the french only had 4 helicopters in the entire country, the majority of their air logistics was contracted out to american ww2 vets, and that the largest bomb truck they had was bearcats that got loving obliterated once the vietminh brought in radar guided AA cannons and russian advisors.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
I do love that the French determined that airborne training is essentially worthless and that any half-decent soldier can figure it out on the fly as a direct result of trying to keep the "fortress" alive.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I do love that the French determined that airborne training is essentially worthless and that any half-decent soldier can figure it out on the fly as a direct result of trying to keep the "fortress" alive.

Look parachuting is as simple as stepping off a streetcar.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Ken burns taught me that the French Arty Commander lamented that he had too many guns in the beginning, then went on to kill himself in shame/horror at the beating they got.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Elendil004 posted:

Need a gif of this dude's face in the lower left
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8PcUR9TU88&t=113s

Dilettante.
Feb 18, 2011
I like that story of the concentration camp victim who learns that the guard who killed his parents is serving with the Legion in 'nam. He deserts the IDF and joins the legion, gets posted to indochina, then hunts the guard down and mag dumps him with a sten gun.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Dilettante. posted:

I like that story of the concentration camp victim who learns that the guard who killed his parents is serving with the Legion in 'nam. He deserts the IDF and joins the legion, gets posted to indochina, then hunts the guard down and mag dumps him with a sten gun.

Whaaaaat? Never heard that one before. Any links or something for it?

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

That Works posted:

Whaaaaat? Never heard that one before. Any links or something for it?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eliahu_Itzkovitz

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Oh, to have seen the look on Stănescu's face.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Elendil004 posted:

Every man is capable of parachuting once

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Milo and POTUS posted:

Every man is capable of parachuting once

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeaeqIpopvI

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Dilettante. posted:

First he went home and stabbed the guys son with a butcher knife. Then he tracked him down in the FFL and shot him with a MAT-49.

Smiling Jack fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Sep 13, 2019

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
And when he tells the IDF why he deserted they were like oh...yeah that makes sense. Guess we still have to punish you for deserting and all, but we’ll make it the lowest thing we can think of.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
It seems as noble a candidate for a good wrist slap as I can think. Also: God, what a loving movie premise

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I can't find the line exactly but the streetcar joke is a line from one of the commanders in Dien Bien Phu pushing back against French command demanding all paratroopers go through jump training. He said something like "parachuting can be done by any reasonably agile man who had jumped off a streetcar"

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
From Hell In A Very Small Place

quote:

To the end, Sauvagnac insisted on properly established DZ's to be used only by properly qualified paratroopers with the requisite amount of training jumps. On the other hand, Langlais insisted that basically a parachute was just a handy way of getting out of an aircraft in mid-air and could be used by any reasonably agile man who had jumped off a streetcar. Langlais turned out to be right.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

I've read that part of the training for recruits in the KNIL was jumping out of a truck every day. The first week the truck would drive at walking pace, but after a month or so it would drive at full speed over a rocky road :eek:

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Molentik posted:

I've read that part of the training for recruits in the KNIL was jumping out of a truck every day. The first week the truck would drive at walking pace, but after a month or so it would drive at full speed over a rocky road :eek:

I mean poo poo, if you can do that without breaking your legs then I think you’re pretty much ready to static line. Except for all the stuff about not getting dragged behind the aircraft by your neck/being decapitated etc but who’s counting?

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

Blind Rasputin posted:

I think the battle of Ramree Island in WWII takes the cake for dying from, “being surrounded”.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Cannae

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Rue Sans Joie

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Molentik posted:

Also how David Stirling trained the initial SAS recruits in WW2.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

poo poo. Turns out I had more stuff from my grandfather than I thought. How am I going to digitize this big map of Germany with hands drawn stuff on it?

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
A large, smooth and uniformly colored surface + decent lighting from above and a decent-resolution digital camera seems like it would do the trick.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Do you have a university with a map library near you?

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It would be a lot of work, but you could also take 9 photos in a grid pattern, then put those photos through photomerge in Photoshop or something similar. It might end up slightly warped if all the photos aren't perfectly straight-on though.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Re: grandfather chat. The guy in middle in the back row is my grandfather on my mother's side back when he was a sergeant in the Finnish army. Picture taken sometime during the Continuation War (1941-1944). He would have been around ~25 years old here. He later broke his back while serving in the coastal defense units somewhere around the Gulf of Finland and spent most of WW2 learning to walk again. I wish I could have met the guy but he passed away from a heart attack while out hunting rabbits a few years before I was born.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

I remember reading a story about a tiny island that had a small amount of japanese forces on it there were cutoff from their navy and were basically just used as target practice by US navy pilots where their first 'combat mission' would be to drop a bomb on them.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Elendil004 posted:

poo poo. Turns out I had more stuff from my grandfather than I thought. How am I going to digitize this big map of Germany with hands drawn stuff on it?

Get a tripod and point the camera straight down. Move the map in quadrants to take a photo without warp. Photoshop/Lightroom can stitch it together in seconds.

You’ll want to shoot with a camera lens that’s about 40-50mm. Wider than that and distortion will affect the center and edges.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

holocaust bloopers posted:

Get a tripod and point the camera straight down. Move the map in quadrants to take a photo without warp. Photoshop/Lightroom can stitch it together in seconds.

You’ll want to shoot with a camera lens that’s about 40-50mm. Wider than that and distortion will affect the center and edges.

I've got a nifty 50 so that'll work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

So I'm indexing/reading orderly books/unit diaries from the Revolutionary War right now for Continental Army units.

Honestly, the only thing missing from these to make it sound like something out of the modern army is reports of soldiers spending their earnings on cars with 22% APR. Found one entry today where the officer of the day had to remind troops stationed around Boston to stop running around being drunk assholes and running around naked when off duty because it's making everyone look bad as well as pissing off the neighbors.