Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

I figure this is a good thread to drop this in as well: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3075135&pagenumber=102#post498192988

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

"Up and coming enterprise NoSQL database company that's signing large contracts with top banks, governments, healthcare providers, etc. " Oh hey I worked at one of those, they went bankrupt a couple years back.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Cocoa Crispies posted:

"Up and coming enterprise NoSQL database company that's signing large contracts with top banks, governments, healthcare providers, etc. " Oh hey I worked at one of those, they went bankrupt a couple years back.

Yeah the dust has largely settled in this market and we're one of the ones left standing. Our revenue is still 'lumpy' but we've been profitable for a while now

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL

DJCobol posted:

National for life!

Yep, Emerald Club is the answer

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

There’s an ad in the AA first class magazine to purchase citizenship in Antigua/Barbados. :capitalism:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Rex-Goliath posted:

Yeah the dust has largely settled in this market and we're one of the ones left standing. Our revenue is still 'lumpy' but we've been profitable for a while now

Is it really fair to call a 9 figure company "up and coming"?

Edit: You have to tell me how you convinced the powers that be to let you book not-Avis.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

KillHour posted:

Is it really fair to call a 9 figure company "up and coming"?

Edit: You have to tell me how you convinced the powers that be to let you book not-Avis.

lol fair enough. I should probably edit that out next time. It's in comparison to the titans we're typically up against like Oracle or Microsoft.

Avis spoilers have them lose your driver's license and raise hell with our finance dept

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Cacafuego posted:

There’s an ad in the AA first class magazine to purchase citizenship in Antigua/Barbados. :capitalism:

Barbados is not that hard. Have money enough to own property and then some more, live there a few years and swear allegiance to the queen (I'm not kidding) along with the right forms.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

Motronic posted:

Barbados is not that hard. Have money enough to own property and then some more, live there a few years and swear allegiance to the queen (I'm not kidding) along with the right forms.

Sounds P dope tbh

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

How on Earth did they lose your driver's license in the 5 seconds they're holding it to look you up? :psyduck:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

The Big Jesus posted:

Sounds P dope tbh

Barbados definitely is if you stay out of the super touristy areas.

Not sure what you do for a living other than hospitality, but the island is really awesome. Public transport is the best.......it's all buses which you know are approaching because they are blasting reggae (and certainly not based on the scheduled time to show up......schedules don't work there).

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

torb main posted:

Yep, Emerald Club is the answer

As someone who never had a bad experience with Avis, I was somewhat upset when we switched to National. But that quickly faded when I realized National is far superior and the Executive Aisle on National has almost never let me down.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Motronic posted:

Barbados definitely is if you stay out of the super touristy areas.

Not sure what you do for a living other than hospitality, but the island is really awesome. Public transport is the best.......it's all buses which you know are approaching because they are blasting reggae (and certainly not based on the scheduled time to show up......schedules don't work there).

I’m not gonna lie. I thought about it after I realized that I cant get Austrian citizenship through my grandparents. The investment wasn’t as much as I thought it would be for citizenship.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

ROJO posted:

As someone who never had a bad experience with Avis

So... you never rent cars then?

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

KillHour posted:

So... you never rent cars then?

Don't know what to say - our corporate contract was with Avis for 7 years and I never had a negative enough experience to warrant a forum post....:shrug:

But yeah National is better.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

KillHour posted:

How on Earth did they lose your driver's license in the 5 seconds they're holding it to look you up? :psyduck:

This was a few years ago when I was flying out to Minneapolis every other week. How it typically works is as you've leaving the lot you hand them your ID and they hand it back in the little folder that also has your receipt and papers and whatever else. So I take the folder and throw it in the passenger seat and head for the office. Easy peasy. When I'm about half way across Minneapolis I get a call from Avis to tell me they forgot to hand back my ID. I can come back and get it now or I can grab it whenever I drop off the car at the end of the week. I tell them I'll just grab it when I drop off the car.

Fast forward a few days and they're totally clueless when I ask for it. The guy at the desk goes back and can't find it. The manager goes back and can't find it. They go over to the booth at the lot's exit and turn that upside down and can't find it. After waiting about 30 mins I realize they just lost it and now have to get through airport security without any ID, which apparently IS possible, you just have to get the full rub down to get through.

When I get home I call their office to keep trying to work things through and long story short it's a massive headache and every time I get passed to a new person I have to start the whole process over again. I eventually get tired of it and call HQ which eventually forwards me back to the local office who then pick up then immediately hang up on me. At this point I'm furious and CC our finance guys on the email thread I had going with Avis, say I'm not dealing with this company anymore, and to drop me from any further communication. I start the process for my replacement ID and finance reaches out to let me know that if I want to book with any other car rental company I can. This was when I started taking Lyft everywhere instead.

Four months later. Four loving months later. I get an envelope in the mail from AVIS with my ID in it. :what:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Rex-Goliath posted:

So I take the folder and throw it in the passenger seat and head for the office. Easy peasy. When I'm about half way across Minneapolis I get a call from Avis to tell me they forgot to hand back my ID.

Just gonna say....these are two hard stops for me.

I loving KNOW where my license and passport is at all times. If I lost track of one or the other I'd be full on mission to get it back immediately regardless of anything else.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Motronic posted:

I loving KNOW where my license and passport is at all times. If I lost track of one or the other I'd be full on mission to get it back immediately regardless of anything else.

In general anytime I surrender an ID I don’t move until I’ve double checked I have it back.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Motronic posted:

I was four hours into my Monday morning commute and had done that routine so many times it was just muscle memory. But yeah after that incident I always keep my passport in my briefcase as a backup

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Midjack posted:

In general anytime I surrender an ID I don’t move until I’ve double checked I have it back.

I end up in a lot of facilities in a lot of places where they want "official ID" to hold while I'm in there. I start with a credit card. If they're too smart for that I pull out a state concealed carry license that looks pretty official. That usually works because nobody knows the words/terminology on it. I'll go down to drivers license, and that's happened before. But NEVER loving ever surrendering a passport.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Rex-Goliath posted:

my briefcase

ok dad

Motronic posted:

I end up in a lot of facilities in a lot of places where they want "official ID" to hold while I'm in there. I start with a credit card. If they're too smart for that I pull out a state concealed carry license that looks pretty official. That usually works because nobody knows the words/terminology on it. I'll go down to drivers license, and that's happened before. But NEVER loving ever surrendering a passport.

At any given time I have my driver's license, TWIC, passport card and passport on me. If they want to hold on to something, I give them a NYC contractor card that I don't give a poo poo about, but it has my picture and a CAC chip and looks all official.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Sep 11, 2019

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

KillHour posted:

ok dad

At any given time I have my driver's license, TWIC, passport card and passport on me.

Ohhhh....TWIC is a great idea. I can get that easy at the next Global Entry renewal (if they actually make me show up lol....of course they won't they just want the credit card number to charge).

I could get a passport card as well.....that's pretty official and independent of your real passport.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Motronic posted:

Ohhhh....TWIC is a great idea. I can get that easy at the next Global Entry renewal

At the very least, it always prompts interesting conversation from the TSA agent looking at my ID.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

It’s usually worth keeping a couple of photocopies of the bio page of your passport in your bag too, many places will accept that instead of taking the actual document since they just want a copy or a scan anyway.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Midjack posted:

It’s usually worth keeping a couple of photocopies of the bio page of your passport in your bag too, many places will accept that instead of taking the actual document since they just want a copy or a scan anyway.

I have not run into this, but I have also not had it on offer. I'll try it next time out.

(well not next time....I'm off to Estonia again and they don't give a gently caress when you're coming from US or EU).

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I just noticed concur now shows the carbon footprint of each of my flights. I’m not sure if it’s just the whole flight or my individual emissions but it’s sure something to think about for any frequent business traveler.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Looking forward to the first time someone tries to justify a more expensive flight because it has a lower carbon footprint.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Motronic posted:

I'd get a replacement license and give these fools the old one.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Maybe I'm doing things wrong but Avis always come in significantly cheaper than everyone else for personal travel (although I think there's a discount through Amex). Help me change that?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I use my passport card for that purpose as I always have both that and my actual passport on me, and the card is kind of useless.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Cacafuego posted:

I’m not gonna lie. I thought about it after I realized that I cant get Austrian citizenship through my grandparents. The investment wasn’t as much as I thought it would be for citizenship.

Austria is one of the easier EU countries to move to. You can live and work there for 18 months on temporary visas and then apply for permanent residency. They use a point system similar to Australia and Canada, versus most of the rest of the EU which wants you to have a job offer in hand or buy a ton of real estate.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

psydude posted:

Austria is one of the easier EU countries to move to. You can live and work there for 18 months on temporary visas and then apply for permanent residency. They use a point system similar to Australia and Canada, versus most of the rest of the EU which wants you to have a job offer in hand or buy a ton of real estate.

Hmm. Urge to know more intensifies...

My wife’s cousin moved there and did that, so we have someone with knowledge of it. I’ll look into this more, thanks!

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL

Motronic posted:

But NEVER loving ever surrendering a passport.

The most uneasy travel-related thing I've had to do is surrender my passport to the Chinese embassy to get my ten year visa. Not just surrender actually, but loving ship it to Chicago where the nearest embassy is. gently caress that.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

torb main posted:

The most uneasy travel-related thing I've had to do is surrender my passport to the Chinese embassy to get my ten year visa. Not just surrender actually, but loving ship it to Chicago where the nearest embassy is. gently caress that.
Did the same for my 5 year India visa. Had to send it to Atlanta, but the turnaround was less than a week.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Brazil makes you deliver it in person. And then pick it up in person when it's done. That sucked.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Yeah, that's been one positive about moving to NJ, I'm close enough to NYC to deal with an embassy in person.

However, NJ still isn't doing REAL ID, so I guess I can fly on my nexus card next year.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

KillHour posted:

Brazil makes you deliver it in person. And then pick it up in person when it's done. That sucked.

just lol if your company doesn't have an expediting service

i have 2 passports though with different sets of visas due to processing times

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Guy Axlerod posted:

Yeah, that's been one positive about moving to NJ, I'm close enough to NYC to deal with an embassy in person.

However, NJ still isn't doing REAL ID, so I guess I can fly on my nexus card next year.

Yes, because it's not going to pushed back for what, a fifth or sixth time at this point?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

KillHour posted:

I haven’t had to do that recently but not sure what kind of visas they have or what you need!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

sellouts posted:

I haven’t had to do that recently but not sure what kind of visas they have or what you need!

I had to do that for a tourist visa, but there’s a consulate downtown here so whatever.