Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

in other news, kde support for fractional scaling in wayland are coming to plasma 5.17: https://pointieststick.com/2019/09/07/kde-usability-productivity-week-87/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

josh04 posted:

p. funny to see these two posts right next to each other. no see, this tangled mess of partial compatibility layers and alternative APIs is a terrible trash fire to be avoided, but this other mess of partial compatibility layers and alternative APIs is perfectly fine and you will have no issues.

or maybe video games are a little less important than your job

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

unlikely

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

Tankakern posted:

screaming into the void again, but if you have amd and a need for cuda, you should check if rocm suits your needs. khronos are also trying to create a more open compute thingie to supplant opencl with called sycl

ROCM is not a replacement for CUDA, it's more like a driver and runtime API (but not kernel driver except in some cases!) that includes an OpenCL implementation. I think there was something called HCC, which was a portable CUDA-like. There's also HIP, which is a CUDA-to-HCC translator (although I heard that HCC by itself was deprecated so who knows). Finally (not really, there's always more), there is SYCL, which is somewhat like CUDA but for OpenCL, but which I think has only been implemented fully by Codeplay. It's a super confusing mess of acronyms. AMD isn't doing itself any favours here, and seems to be spreading its already scarce resources super thin.

Exercise for the reader: where does the HSA Runtime fit in?

I did a literal PhD on GPU computing and I can't figure out wtf is going on with AMD.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

yeah thanks for filling in

my point was that you should at least check if it could suit your needs, because i'm guessing things will only get better with the new khronos stuff coming

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Sapozhnik posted:

*as long as it does not use denuvo or other drm

why would one pay cash to play a denuvo game lol. pirate that poo poo when the crack is out

also, proton has come real far, i'm looking forward to a year or two from now when protondb is 90% gold+ category lol

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Athas posted:

ROCM is not a replacement for CUDA, it's more like a driver and runtime API (but not kernel driver except in some cases!) that includes an OpenCL implementation. I think there was something called HCC, which was a portable CUDA-like. There's also HIP, which is a CUDA-to-HCC translator (although I heard that HCC by itself was deprecated so who knows). Finally (not really, there's always more), there is SYCL, which is somewhat like CUDA but for OpenCL, but which I think has only been implemented fully by Codeplay. It's a super confusing mess of acronyms. AMD isn't doing itself any favours here, and seems to be spreading its already scarce resources super thin.

Exercise for the reader: where does the HSA Runtime fit in?

I did a literal PhD on GPU computing and I can't figure out wtf is going on with AMD.

This was literally what my masters project was too, well making a PTX-to-SPIR recompilation driver shim anyway. It does sortof work since they're very similar but it's a bit inefficient b/c of some architectural differences, though I'm sure a serious research team managed/could manage to do it quite well. I also got a recommendation from my supervisor to apply to codeplay seeing as I'm in the UK, though never did in the end.

e: the thing is, at the end of the day you can just buy nvidia and save yourself the headache

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Sep 9, 2019

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

sycl is getting very interesting though. it is more general still than cuda, which should mean that stuff done in cuda is likely to be relatively easy to get going on sycl, but otoh i assume it'll also mean that there'll be more compiler magic which might work on one target and gently caress up on another. most importantly though sycl gets a lot of tools and debuggers (for code, rather than device/performance stuff) for free by being so close to c++.

it's been kicking around without any real impact for some time, but intel committed to opening their sycl stuff and upstream things into clang and so on earlier this year, so it might yet become the legit cuda alternative.

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Sep 9, 2019

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i get paid to interact with desktop linux at work, at home i'd be volunteering

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

Bullshit

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Tankakern posted:

yeah thanks for filling in

my point was that you should at least check if it could suit your needs, because i'm guessing things will only get better with the new khronos stuff coming

on the other hand when was the last time things only got better with the new khronos stuff?

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

vulkan

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
the funny tech poo poo u just remembered thread is that way —->

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
Wayland works great, it turns out.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i like linux, op

but NOT as a desktop os

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
Who even owns a desktop anymore

Install fedora on a laptop, it's good.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
fwiw the general recommendation among folks that do pci passthrough is to use nvidia cards.

if you use amd as the passthrough card you don’t have to add the config to trick nvidia, which they could trivially defeat and is an ever present threat, but you instead have to deal with the “reset” bug because AMD half assed the firmware. the gist is that rebooting the VM will cause the card to hard lockup, and you got to reboot the entire host before you can do passthrough again.

some guy is working on fixing it but he’s not getting a ton of help from AMD, and it’s slow going.

edit: if you want to track the guys work: https://www.patreon.com/posts/29878832

freeasinbeer fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Sep 11, 2019

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

TimWinter posted:

Who even owns a desktop anymore

me

TimWinter posted:

Install fedora on a laptop, it's good.

nah, my laptop already runs a tolerable unix

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Soricidus posted:

me

nah, my laptop already runs a tolerable unix

well look at the Tadpole owner over here

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

freeasinbeer posted:

fwiw the general recommendation among folks that do pci passthrough is to use nvidia cards.

if you use amd as the passthrough card you don’t have to add the config to trick nvidia, which they could trivially defeat and is an ever present threat, but you instead have to deal with the “reset” bug because AMD half assed the firmware. the gist is that rebooting the VM will cause the card to hard lockup, and you got to reboot the entire host before you can do passthrough again.

some guy is working on fixing it but he’s not getting a ton of help from AMD, and it’s slow going.

edit: if you want to track the guys work: https://www.patreon.com/posts/29878832

I've been playing passthrough for a few days now and its a leaning experience
I had to install the acs patch to unfuck my iommu groups though
I bought a cheap RX 570 just to passthrough for osx and it working fine since its pre vega
the latest hurdle is my ssd with a silicon motion sm2262 has buggy firmware and will not pass through even with the workarounds I found, my samsung passes through fine
the onboard intel 630 video will not passthough either so you'll lose quick sync for your vms

besides those 2 devices i'm surprised how well things work, you can swap the onboard usb controller back and forth without restarting which was a nice surprise

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Perplx posted:

I've been playing passthrough for a few days now and its a leaning experience
I had to install the acs patch to unfuck my iommu groups though
I bought a cheap RX 570 just to passthrough for osx and it working fine since its pre vega
the latest hurdle is my ssd with a silicon motion sm2262 has buggy firmware and will not pass through even with the workarounds I found, my samsung passes through fine
the onboard intel 630 video will not passthough either so you'll lose quick sync for your vms

besides those 2 devices i'm surprised how well things work, you can swap the onboard usb controller back and forth without restarting which was a nice surprise

wow cool

all this so you could avoid installing steam and clicking "play"

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

i tried the whole Linux gaming thing and found photon to be buggy and irritating to deal with. if you value your time at $100 or more, just buy a windows license and never worry about it again

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
i didn't do it for windows, that was just a bonus project

I did it to run osx and do compute on my nvidia card at the same time, running osx on bare metal means I can't use my nvidia card at all, which is true even for real macs

its the only way to get simultaneous full speed xcode and a full speed nvidia gpu without buying 2 computers, and all it cost was one extra video card

Perplx fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Sep 11, 2019

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

freeasinbeer posted:

Wait a minute. Patreon? He's not exactly incentivized to get the job done quickly here...

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Helicity posted:

i tried the whole Linux gaming thing and found photon to be buggy and irritating to deal with. if you value your time at $100 or more, just buy a windows license and never worry about it again

you do you

i have used unix desktops for many, many years for work reasons and i want the same setup at home as at work

i also want to play video games, but not badly enough to install windows and futz with windows-related items

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Perplx posted:

i didn't do it for windows, that was just a bonus project

I did it to run osx and do compute on my nvidia card at the same time, running osx on bare metal means I can't use my nvidia card at all, which is true even for real macs

its the only way to get simultaneous full speed xcode and a full speed nvidia gpu without buying 2 computers, and all it cost was one extra video card

so you spent a bunch of time and energy in order to run a pirate copy of osx?

jeffery
Jan 1, 2013
*pirates a subatomic particle computer*

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

so you spent a bunch of time and energy in order to run a pirate copy of osx?

basically, i have real macs they are just slow

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Perplx posted:

basically, i have real macs they are just slow

so your justification for pirating osx is that it costs too much to get a decent mac

real cute there, guy

don't steal mac os x.kext posted:

Your karma check for today:
There once was a user that whined
His existing OS was so blind
He'd do better to pirate
An OS that ran great
But found his hardware declined.
Please don't steal Mac OS
Really, that's way uncool.
(C) Apple Computer, Inc.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
real macs suck too just pirate whatever who gives a flying poo poo

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
Apple is like the most profitable company on Earth, people should feel 0% guilt for pirating their crap OS (but they should feel stupid for other reasons).

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sniep posted:

real macs suck too just pirate whatever who gives a flying poo poo

Athas posted:

Apple is like the most profitable company on Earth, people should feel 0% guilt for pirating their crap OS (but they should feel stupid for other reasons).

product sucks / company rich ergo breaking the law and not paying for software is ok?

really, this, in the linux desktop thread?

pro tip: you can do useful things on your computer without stealing someone else's work

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
like, what do you do for a living that y'all are so casual about stealing copyrighted software

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
are you seriously pearl clutching about piracy in tyool 2019

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
well, i dont steal any softare. i am 100% fully legal in my poo poo, including media

but that doesnt mean im gonna tell anyone else to

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Athas posted:

are you seriously pearl clutching about piracy in tyool 2019

yes

yes i am

this is precisely the thread in which piracy should be least accepted, in a subforum dedicated to computer touchers, who often derive their incomes from software licensing

admitting to pirating osx out of poverty is the dumbest thing i can imagine in the linux desktop thread

it's not just irrelevant, it is like, anti-content that destroys the discussion

yes herp derp let me pirate proprietary unix to avoid... using desktop linux?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sniep posted:

well, i dont steal any softare. i am 100% fully legal in my poo poo, including media

but that doesnt mean im gonna tell anyone else to

so if folks pirate your employer's products, that's good and cool with you?

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

woah i'm agreeing with nbsd, what's happening

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Tankakern posted:

woah i'm agreeing with nbsd, what's happening

i am often right about stuff, but i am such an angry and generally disagreeable curmudgeon people don't enjoy agreeing with me even when i am correct

tl;dr you are not the first person to be ashamed of agreeing with me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

pro tip: you can do useful things on your computer without stealing someone else's work

those os x devs at apple are gonna get paid the same amount regardless. nobody's going hungry.

apple's not going to lower the price on other products because a few thousand people decide to pay for a copy of mac os x. the only benefits to doing so are that some stockholders get a few extra pennies, and participating in a collective belief in the rule of law.

except, oops, the rule of law is already dead in america. there's no accountability. no one trusts that the law is or will be applied evenly or fairly. why is the Apple Computer corporation deserving of our respect?