Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
Midir was complete garbage for me. My character was generic and could do almost anything, just not well, I relied entirely on exploiting every weakness in the game. Lots of bosses bleed real bad if you hit them with bleed magic btw. Midir's only exploitable weakness is Critical and Pestilent Mist. So one very specific sorcery and an attack you'll only get to make once.

But the rest of the ringed city is hilarious. Killing an Angel just to see it respawn in less than a second is such a bullshit moment. You have to relearn your approach, then change it all over again for the second half. The first giant ghost archer army is crazy intimidating.

Then you figure out you can be invisible and muffled, and the whole difficulty of exploring falls through the floor.

And when it's all over at the literal end of the world, what is left?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

War Wizard posted:

Then you figure out you can be invisible and muffled, and the whole difficulty of exploring falls through the floor.
Well, that's not a Ringed City thing.

The archers are just running from cover to cover. Not amazing, but not too hard once you realize what's going on. Same thing for the angels really.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

In the Ringed City, the spamming angels, the Harald stairs and the Swamp Judicator are bullshit.

But then Gael is maybe the best boss fight in the entire game.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
what the hell did the swamp judicator do wrong

you get close and then you smack him around while moving away from the summoned hammer/sword attacks. he's like, the easiest of those guys to kill

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

IronicDongz posted:

what the hell did the swamp judicator do wrong

I just hated it's spamming spawn army and it was a crapshoot if I got to smack it down before getting stunlocked and dying,

Also, I'm not very good at playing DS3.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Judicators should stay dead imo but the angels do have summoners that can die permanently.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I've been holding out for Sekiro to get a little cheaper in my woes of a Souls-less existence, but I finally picked up Nioh last night which is on sale on steam. Its fuckin great. Its like a slight turbo mode over DS, instantly accessible for us vets, difficulty feels awesome to me with even the early enemies able to do you in in a couple hits and only carelessness to blame for your own demise, plus the loot. If you have been on the fence, check it out!

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

I think I hosed up with my choice of only using the drang drumsticks? I'm at the prince lothric fight and I can easily get through the first phase, but I also use up most of my estus doing so because like, I roll through attacks, I hit L1 once (rolling L1 seems to come out faster than rolling R1? I might be wrong) and I'm guaranteed to get hit from Lothric's followup. I can't find a way to position myself or time my attacks to not get counterhit at all, because these drang sticks are kinda slow. How the hell do people only using slow, heavy weapons even manage this fight?

I don't wanna have to pick a different weapon to fight this dude, but I just can't figure out my timing

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

...! posted:

It's "Run Away: The Game!"

a lot of people are going to try and dunk on you, but i agree with what you said. ringed city was my least favorite DLC out of all the souls DLC and it was largely for the reasons you mentioned. it's weird because i like the sunken DLC in DS2 the best because it's such a cool puzzle cave, but i feel like the slower deliberate pace of DS2 played better with having a bunch of puzzle mechanics. DS3 is so much more manic, the whole game is teaching you how to have fast reflexes and think quick and gogogogogo and then throwing a bunch of puzzle encounters into the final DLC just felt frustrating. "oh cool this whole game moves 20x faster than DS2 and i've gotten used to that, WHOOPS the final DLC is intended for a more methodical play style :cool:"

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Bernie Sanders

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
I guess a lot of people just lost their patience with Ringed City. I loved it (except Midir), it’s basically everything I wanted in an endgame/postgame zone in Souls. Unlike Dreg Heap which rather wastes its potential.

Addamere posted:

Bernie Sanders

Bernard of the Boreal Valley

skasion fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Sep 13, 2019

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Freaking Crumbum posted:

DS3 is so much more manic, the whole game is teaching you how to have fast reflexes and think quick and gogogogogo and then throwing a bunch of puzzle encounters into the final DLC just felt frustrating. "oh cool this whole game moves 20x faster than DS2 and i've gotten used to that, WHOOPS the final DLC is intended for a more methodical play style :cool:"

I love the slow, methodical playstyle of Dark Souls 1, so maybe that's why I felt right at home in the Ringed City.

The puzzles definitely feel like the developers realised there was no way to make combat more challenging within the boundaries of DS3's mechanics, so they came up with levels the player couldn't simply out-dodge.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Whalley posted:

I think I hosed up with my choice of only using the drang drumsticks? I'm at the prince lothric fight and I can easily get through the first phase, but I also use up most of my estus doing so because like, I roll through attacks, I hit L1 once (rolling L1 seems to come out faster than rolling R1? I might be wrong) and I'm guaranteed to get hit from Lothric's followup. I can't find a way to position myself or time my attacks to not get counterhit at all, because these drang sticks are kinda slow. How the hell do people only using slow, heavy weapons even manage this fight?

I don't wanna have to pick a different weapon to fight this dude, but I just can't figure out my timing
You're still too impatient and inexperienced for a very hard fight. Lorian has clear openings for any weapon to use, but he often delays an attack, fakes you out and does combos that seem like they might be over but aren't.

The drangsticks are perfectly quick enough, you just need to git a lil' gooder :)

Also gently caress the Ringed City imo

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Tagichatn posted:

Judicators should stay dead imo but the angels do have summoners that can die permanently.

They're not terribly hard to find, either.

I also kinda thought that the summoners were the nasty physical manifestation of the angels.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
started a new character in this because I'm on another Dark Souls kick and I've never actually finished this or the DLCs. Went for Pyromancer this time, because I've never actually played as one & supposedly they got all sorts of new toys in this game. When looking for a weapon to use, I stumbled across the Onyx Blade. I figured it was like boss weapons - looks cool as hell, but outclassed by most standard weapons.

ahahah no, this thing has loving insane damage output on everything, apparently. :black101:

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

I beat Friede for the second time, now with a dex build.

Welp, the fight was much tougher than my first run with a tanky str build (Lothric Greatshild, +10 Heavy Brigand axe). This time around, the hardest part was actually the first part, with Friede solo. I used a Sharp Uchigatana, wielded two hand, with Carthus flame arc and wore rags for that < 30 equip load. Lots of ways she can catch you, stunlock and murder you before you get a chance to chug an estus.

For the second part, I found the trick was to use Carthus rouge, and just wail on Father Ariandel and get the fight over quickly enough that Gael was still alive for Blackflame Friede.

When Gael was alive, Friede turned her back on me all the time, opening up for backstabs and bleedouts. Low load meant I could roll away far enough to chug estus, and an ember for extra HP was helpful too.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

axolotl farmer posted:

I used a Sharp Uchigatana, wielded two hand, with Carthus flame arc and wore rags for that < 30 equip load.
just in case you don't know, this doesn't give you any more iframes or any less recovery frames. it just makes the roll go a bit farther

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

IronicDongz posted:

just in case you don't know, this doesn't give you any more iframes or any less recovery frames. it just makes the roll go a bit farther

Yeah, with Friede distance is good. For the first phase invisi-chase and spin cycle attacks just getting some distance is the whole point.

I know about the trick with sticking Friede with a kukri or arrow, but that goes away soon and I'm pretty bad at playing the game so just switching between estus, carthus rogue and knives during the battle wrecked me too many times.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I'm sad that Flame Arc is inferior to resins w/o stat investment. In fact, there's not really any magic worth using supplementarily for non-casters, apart from like... Tears of Denial. I wish fixed MagAdj catalysts came back cause magic kinda sucks rear end in DS3 without extreme investment, and even then it's not great. :geno:

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Yes it is

Your bar for "not great" seems to be that magic doesn't instantly destroy all your foes when you press the button.

Unrestricted ranged options that do real-rear end damage are extremely powerful with the combat design of this series and this has never shifted since demon's souls, even when they've made magic damage weaker with every instalment. And this is without going into the utility spells you get as a bonus on top.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
Finished an SL1 run for the first time (with kb+m, for what it's worth). :toot:

Death count:
1 - Ancient Wyvern
1 - Demon Prince
2 - Aldrich
2 - Oceiros
3 - Pontiff
3 - Champion Gundyr
4 - Midir
5 - Gael
6 - Dragonslayer Armour
8 - Halflight
9 - Friede
15 - Nameless King
17 - Twin Princes
20 - Soul of Cinder
33 - Dancer

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

Promethium posted:

Finished an SL1 run for the first time (with kb+m, for what it's worth). :toot:

Kinda the faster they are the worse off you are. How long does it take to chip away at Midir?

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

War Wizard posted:

Kinda the faster they are the worse off you are. How long does it take to chip away at Midir?

Dragonslayer's Axe hits for about 350 on a headshot so it takes around 30 hits to get to the phase transition, and typically you can get the riposte soon after that. It was about a 5 minute fight for me, I think. It's a long fight but also a safe one since the dodge timings are fairly straightforward. Of my four deaths, two were from flubbing the tantrum rhythm and two were on the frontal charge where the timing is variable depending on your distance to him.

The longest fights were probably Demon Prince and Friede since you can spend quite a while in the dual-boss phases waiting for a safe opening.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

hey is it just me or are Lothric and Lorian the most aggravating fuckers in the whole Soulsborne series :suicide:

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Blaziken386 posted:

hey is it just me or are Lothric and Lorian the most aggravating fuckers in the whole Soulsborne series :suicide:

no, they're not even the most aggravating bosses of DS3. I'm looking at you Abyss Watchers :argh:

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

They are both reasonably challenging but their gimmick is kind of the same. Abyss watchers can be rough at a low level but there is ample open space and opportunity to beat the main guy down before too many others spawn. It does suck to be caught in a combo and I've been unexpectedly cut down by this boss, yes. Phase 2 with the single Abyss Watcher and flame sword always seemed pretty straightforward to me at least. Kind of like a weak Pontiff, just dodge the telegraphed shots. Lothric and Lorian can pull some bullshit teleport+attack combos but at least you can hit the weak prince while he is riding on his bro's back.

Nameless King on Newgame++ is the one that repeatedly owned me, goddamn. 30+ failed attempts over a weekend and then I came home from work one evening and beat it on the first try.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

axolotl farmer posted:

no, they're not even the most aggravating bosses of DS3. I'm looking at you Abyss Watchers :argh:
Abyss Watchers are incredibly frustrating, especially considering how early you fight them, however: not only can they be parried/backstabbed to death, but if you go to the Cathedral of the Deep beforehand, your weapon will be upgraded enough to do some sizeable damage.

There is no such luck where these two chucklefucks are concerned

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Blaziken386 posted:

They were the hardest boss in the game for me

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Still haven't tried to take on Midir seriously :ohdear:

What are my best options for my tank character? Got a +10 heavy Brigand axe that I took down most bosses with, including Gael and Friede, and several Titanite slabs to spare if another weapon should be needed. No pyromancies or other kinds of magic.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The millwood axe from the dlc is a straight upgrade to the brigand axe.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

So, heavy Millwood axe + some Gold pine resin?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I never bothered with elemental buffs on my axe playthrough since warcry is good and they can't stack. Just focus on Midir's head and you'll get him down.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Yea, don’t fall into the temptation to run under Midir. Just stay a few steps back from his face and basically back away from him until he enters cooldown, hit him once or twice, then back up again. I honestly think summons can make the fight harder if they don’t realize that running to Midir’s side/back fucks up the flow of the fight (unless the players really have his patterns/moves down tight).

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
If you're willing to use them a lot since they last such a short time, bundles are stronger than resin(and safer to apply).

Regy Rusty posted:

I never bothered with elemental buffs on my axe playthrough since warcry is good and they can't stack. Just focus on Midir's head and you'll get him down.
I'm pretty sure they can stack, because warcry is a body buff and resin is a weapon buff.

unless warcry counts as a weapon buff? which would be strange but I guess possible

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Oct 2, 2019

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

IronicDongz posted:

If you're willing to use them a lot since they last such a short time, bundles are stronger than resin(and safer to apply).
I'm pretty sure they can stack, because warcry is a body buff and resin is a weapon buff.

unless warcry counts as a weapon buff? which would be strange but I guess possible

They cannot stack!

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
You ever just scream so good you douse the fire on your axe

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood
I don't know if I've changed something in my builds or the playerbase has in general but pvp has cleaned up a lot lately, there are a lot more "fun-hards" running around it seems. Still plenty of dark infused lothric straight swords and claymores but as an e.g. I ran into a dude legit dual wielding a zweihander and greatlance, and I didn't bother rolling the first swing because I wanted to learn first hand that they do indeed combo into each other.

6ish months ago my sl80 +10 dude had a dry spell and last night I loaded him up because he has like 12 different set ups (role play characters from ds2 and 3) and he had non stop invasions in several areas.

I know the bow glitch is a thing and apparently the world is falling down but my experience has given me the feeling that outside sl125 pontiff the game is getting a second wind? Actual invasions using the level with newer hosts who are scheming enough to make up for lack of experience to give each invasion it's own little narrative.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

asio posted:

I know the bow glitch is a thing and apparently the world is falling down
You can't just mention something like this as if it's common knowledge! The what glitch??

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Amppelix posted:

You can't just mention something like this as if it's common knowledge! The what glitch??

Just google it, there’s a bunch of videos about it. Short version is that there’s a hot new glitch you can use to instant cast any spell from a sunlight arrow if you have a bow offhand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

Amppelix posted:

Yeh as mentioned it's the hot new salt miner but it's not as bad as the host at meta pontiff who spams crystal skill spear from behind two phantoms and throws poo at you until you start winning and then they disconnect. There is an art to salt mining and the bow glitch ain't it.