Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Oh sweet, super helpful. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Nae! posted:

I did read Baru! I actually didnt think that was within the last five years, but I am poo poo at tracking time so maybe it was.

I've downloaded Grace of Kings and Gideon the Ninth, though I'm a little leery of that one since I just read an interview of it that describes it as 'appealing to people who love memes', which is...not a ringing endorsement in my eyes? I don't know, but I'm not going to rule it out when it's appealing to people enough to get published. Maybe it's a sign that I need to embrace meme culture more. In the meantime, I'll check out some of the other recommendations people have posted as well.

Tor has put a bunch of Gideon the Ninth chapters up on their site and it isn't particularly memey. Just your standard space lesbian necromancer court intrigue dramedy.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

pseudorandom name posted:

Tor has put a bunch of Gideon the Ninth chapters up on their site and it isn't particularly memey. Just your standard space lesbian necromancer court intrigue dramedy.

Seconding this! I don't know why they thought insulting the book would be a good way to sell it, but it's fantastically written. It has an irreverent tone which I guess could provoke the meme thing but urgh, no. It has a heart.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
I've first in line for Gideon at the library once it gets in and I'm pretty hype.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

StrixNebulosa posted:

Seconding this! I don't know why they thought insulting the book would be a good way to sell it, but it's fantastically written. It has an irreverent tone which I guess could provoke the meme thing but urgh, no. It has a heart.

Yeah I'm not really sure what Forbes was thinking but they didn't phrase it as an insult:

quote:

If you enjoy browsing memes or joking with friends, you’ll enjoy this prose. (A few memes do actually slip in; someone makes a “studied the blade” joke that works pretty well given that everyone in this universe tends to solve their differences with sword fights). The end result of the plot and prose combo is just a totally goony fun page-turner that really needs to be on everyone’s reading list this fall.

If you want the full Forbes experience and you love the word Goony, you can read the rest of the interview with the author here:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/adamro...y/#f431e3384927

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

occamsnailfile posted:

I think folks here largely already know this but prices are set by the publisher so complaining to the author on Twitter or whatever just makes them sad. I agree Murderbot was a bit stiff but I’ve read it at least twice already so there’s that.

I don't do it but i understand the impulse.

Ebooks in australia sold by Hachette often cost more than a hardback, even for older books (city of stairs is US$14, HC US$12.98, stranger in a strange land [1961] 8.23 pb 6.89).

Lately there's been some big releases that aren't even released on kindle because of here including the second baru book, the new kameron hurley book and some others. I can't get them via amazon.com or .com.au

I don't pirate books but its shocking that due to licencing i'm meant to pay up to 5x the price that you pay in the US.

I understand that they don't make the choice but i think the author should know if they're losing customers because of the publisher.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

StrixNebulosa posted:

Sometimes I miss the 70s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7Qm_UJML54

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

StrixNebulosa posted:

Gideon the Ninth, Gideon the Ninth, Gideon the Ninth. It's SO GOOD, and it's by Tamsyn Muir!

The hype for this books was enough to make me spring for the limited edition before actually reading it so it better be as good as everyone is saying!

Rain Brain
Dec 15, 2006

in ghostlier demarcations, keener sounds

MockingQuantum posted:

I've only ready one, American Elsewhere, which is a real doorstopper and kind of modern cosmic horror. I remember really liking it when I read it the first time, but that was a while ago. I was going to re-read it pretty soon here, I'd be happy to post my thoughts once I do.

The other two I can think of are The Troupe and Mr. Shivers but I haven't read either. It's possible I dreamed this and it's not at all true, but I'd swear that RJB was a goon once upon a time and got ruthlessly mocked in FYAD after he posted an excerpt from The Troupe somewhere on the forums, so that tells you something, I suppose, but I'd be hard pressed to say what it tells you

I really love The Troupe and put it in the fantasy pile rather then horror - RJB is one of my favorite writers from the last decade and the thing that's always impressed me is that he gets better with each book. City of Stairs was wonderful but the first book of his new series, Foundryside, somehow managed to be even better.

In terms of first fantasy novels from the last five years I really liked Curtis Cradock's An Alchemy of Masques and Mirrors but the follow up was meh. I think Rebecca Roanhorse's Trail of Lightning was a good start (like the second book more though), as was Strange Practice by Vivian Shaw. Oh and Zen Cho's Sorcerer to the Crown is entertaining but kinda fluff.

Going through my book list just now has made me realize that while I've read a lot of fantasy I've enjoyed in the last five years the first novels that I've fallen in love with were all science fiction (...or at least had spaceships) .

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Recently re-read a bunch of Jack Vance short stories + books...I wanted memories of something good in advance in case the challenge I made in another book barn thread failed.

Vance's NightLamp was 85% setup + 15% actual story, yet it works better than it has any right too. NightLamp set the stage for typical Vancian 'villain escapes and needs to be put down' shenanigans, but subverts that entirely with the villain getting a Socrates style death and then getting shot in the back of the head 3 times by the 2ndary lead character" just to be sure".

Meanwhile I rooted for the villains yet again while reading Vance's 3-book Cadwal Chronicles series because the hero/good guy characters were such smug 'do-as-i-say, not as-i-do' pro-slavery douchebags. Vance's 5 golden bands was both terrible and semi-interesting....terribleness factor mostly came from the main character reminding himself at least twice a chapter that he was an Irishman from Cork County Ireland and that Earth NEEDED spacedrive technology and saying so out loud in a terrible irish accent. Augmented Man short collection was strong.

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Sep 11, 2019

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Best Vance short is "The Moon Moth."

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Nae! posted:

I'm in the process of trying to get back into reading more fantasy, and I'm looking for some good fantasy novels that fit the following criteria:

- Published in the past five years
- The author's debut novel
- Not YA

I'm trying to hit those three specifics since I write adult fantasy I'm trying to sell, and the best way to sell is to know the market. I've tried searching around using those criteria but it's very hard to hit all three of those criteria when lists of debut fantasy novels lean heavily YA, lists of current best-sellers lean heavily towards established authors, and lists of best novels in the genre lean towards stuff that's more than five years old.

Anybody got any recommendations for books that hit all three, or at least a resource where I can search with all those parameters? So far, I've gone through Jade War, Kings of the Wyld, and Library at Mount Char (my fav of the three). Any recommendations or advice beyond that would be a huge help.

Wake of Vultures by Lila Bowen. It's got elements of westerns, dark fantasy and even post-apocalypse in it and it's a damned good read with an unusual protagonist.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Ornamented Death posted:

The hype for this books was enough to make me spring for the limited edition before actually reading it so it better be as good as everyone is saying!

I have been burned so hard in the past few years by hyped books (Looking at you Dinosaur Lords and River of Teeth). Especially anything that touts how “queer” it is, which seems to be shorthand for “not well written, but has representation.”

If the thread opinion is that it’s decent, I’ll give a look at the free chapters.

Fake edit: oh and it has a cool cover which is often the kiss of death. Get some Darryl K Sweet garbage on the frontspiece if you want my money

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

MockingQuantum posted:

I've only ready one, American Elsewhere, which is a real doorstopper and kind of modern cosmic horror. I remember really liking it when I read it the first time, but that was a while ago. I was going to re-read it pretty soon here, I'd be happy to post my thoughts once I do.

The other two I can think of are The Troupe and Mr. Shivers but I haven't read either. It's possible I dreamed this and it's not at all true, but I'd swear that RJB was a goon once upon a time and got ruthlessly mocked in FYAD after he posted an excerpt from The Troupe somewhere on the forums, so that tells you something, I suppose, but I'd be hard pressed to say what it tells you

Not getting ruthlessly mocked would be achievement on these forums.

Sounds interesting and I'll check it out.
It also puts a perspective on his City of Stairs series, where the gods and other supernatural things have Lovecrafty vibes.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Library at Mount Char is a trip.

Where can I get more like this?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

StrixNebulosa posted:

How much focus is there on the romance? The book sounds great but the descriptions keep hammering it in as a selling point and fantasy romance and sex scenes are generally pretty insufferable, or at least for me.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Beefeater1980 posted:

Library at Mount Char is a trip.

Where can I get more like this?

Yeah, I'm only about 20% through it myself at the moment and it is one WTF after another. Me like.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

anilEhilated posted:

How much focus is there on the romance? The book sounds great but the descriptions keep hammering it in as a selling point and fantasy romance and sex scenes are generally pretty insufferable, or at least for me.

No sex scenes and like zero romance. They are lesbians but not with each other.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

StrixNebulosa posted:

No sex scenes and like zero romance. They are lesbians but not with each other.
Sold, thanks.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

StrixNebulosa posted:

Gideon the Ninth, Gideon the Ninth, Gideon the Ninth. It's SO GOOD, and it's by Tamsyn Muir!

I'll second that. Just finished Gideon the Ninth and it was an immensely fun read. I suspect people will either absolutely love the rude, snarky, sarcastic POV character or intensely dislike her (what's wrong with you?). The book itself mixes sci-fi, fantasy, horror, locked-in-a-mansion-murder-mystery, etc -- got your undead/undying space emperor, nine houses of different types of necromancers, ancient seat-of-the-empire planet, etc. Gideon's hate/hate relationship with Harrowhark, the heir of her house, powerful necromancer, and sort of horrific younger sister figure is quality fun too.

Regarding LGBT content/romance, the author had this to say over on GoodReads...

Tamsyn Muir posted:

It's hard to quantify how much LGBT content is in the book -- the plot contains arguably very little romance, and conflicts/issues surrounding being LGBTQIA+ don't come up at all and never will. Hilariously, the word 'lesbian' comes up in the blurb, but is never used in the book.

That said, it's a book written by an LGBTQIA+ author about two LGBTQIA+ leads, and I can Word-of-God confirm that the POV protagonist is a lesbian whose interest in women is very obvious throughout the book. The non-POV protagonist's interest in bones is very obvious throughout the book. Hope that helps...

Quinton fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Sep 11, 2019

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

MockingQuantum posted:

Oh! I remember the author of Mr. Shivers being a goon (mostly for the silly name of the book, I never read it) but I didn't tie that to the Divine Cities books at all.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
He has a pretty recent story called Vigilance that's great too. I thought Mr shivers was better than he got credit for

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Nevvy Z posted:

He has a pretty recent story called Vigilance that's great too. I thought Mr shivers was better than he got credit for

I read Vigilance and I'd give it a Pretty Good, I think. Great seems an oversell.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Nevvy Z posted:

I thought Mr shivers was better than he got credit for

He won a Shirley Jackson award for it. Goons aren't the be-all and end-all of opinions.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Ornamented Death posted:

He won a Shirley Jackson award for it. Goons aren't the be-all and end-all of opinions.

Oh without a doubt, and I didn't mean to imply that I thought they were. Plus this would have been probably pre-2010, which was a very different sort of SA than we have now. There was definitely a span of time where you were relentlessly ridiculed for trying hard at anything, though I don't remember if that's when it was.

I will say that despite my spotty memory of American Elsewhere, I liked it a whole lot when I read it, and it was, if nothing else, distinctly different from anything I'd read before.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

American Elsewhere is good, if a bit overlong.

It also won a Shirley Jackson award :v:

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
American Elsewhere had a genuinely eye-catching cover, good thing the book was also enjoyable. I agree with folks who say Bennett has progressively gotten better over time though. I haven't gotten to read his newest yet, but I definitely want to. Also I ordered this Gideon the Ninth thing out of budget, god drat you all.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
I liked American Elsewhere a lot. RJB used to write for the front page but it was like 07-08 timeframe maybe? I don't recall his screen name.

cultureulterior
Jan 27, 2004

Quinton posted:

I'll second that. Just finished Gideon the Ninth and it was an immensely fun read.

Thirded. Absolutely excellent, and I'm really interested in how Harrow is going to work as a protagonist in the next one.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Spiny Norman or something like that.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

StrixNebulosa posted:

My friend bought me Murderbot! It is extremely charming so far and I'm probably gonna finish it tonight.

To explain why I love the titular character, have this:

Murderbot: so I don't care about humans I'm mostly apathetic and I just want to watch tv shows all the time

also Murderbot: no one is touching my humans or so help me god

https://twitter.com/jruoxichen/status/1171889732818821122

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

I asked this in the recommendation thread but didn't get any responses so I'm hoping you guys will be able to help. One thing I really like about Ted Chiang is his ability to take outlandish ideas and flesh them out into fully functional worlds - I'm thinking particularly of his stories "Hell is the Absence of God", in which miraculous visitations by angels are a common occurrence and "Omphalos", in which there's ample evidence that the Young Earth creation story is correct.

Another example of what I'm looking for would be the show The Leftovers. The show starts with a wacky premise and then delves into how different groups would react to it - the preachers, the scientists, the government, the grifters, etc.

I'm looking for other speculative fiction that does this. Stories about a flat earth about ship captains navigating to the edge of the planet, for example. I'd prefer fiction that doesn't include aliens, wizards, or dragons for the most part. Stories with humans as the main characters.

Any suggestions?

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

bowser posted:

I asked this in the recommendation thread but didn't get any responses so I'm hoping you guys will be able to help. One thing I really like about Ted Chiang is his ability to take outlandish ideas and flesh them out into fully functional worlds - I'm thinking particularly of his stories "Hell is the Absence of God", in which miraculous visitations by angels are a common occurrence and "Omphalos", in which there's ample evidence that the Young Earth creation story is correct.

Another example of what I'm looking for would be the show The Leftovers. The show starts with a wacky premise and then delves into how different groups would react to it - the preachers, the scientists, the government, the grifters, etc.

I'm looking for other speculative fiction that does this. Stories about a flat earth about ship captains navigating to the edge of the planet, for example. I'd prefer fiction that doesn't include aliens, wizards, or dragons for the most part. Stories with humans as the main characters.

Any suggestions?

Read Stanislaw Lem's Ijon Tichy short story collection the Star Diaries. There are aliens present in about 40% of the stories, but nothing is perfect friend.
Love the sentient lurking in asteroid fields killer potatoes throw-away idea, love the entirety of Lem's Eleventh Voyage more.

eszett engma
May 7, 2013
Stephen Baxter's Xeelee sequence has a couple of stories I know of that might fit: Flux, which takes place inside a neutron star populated by humans translated into an appropriate form who are a micron tall but as massive as a normal human, who see heat that propagates as an exotic form of sound and smell light that diffuses gradually through the ultradense fluid they live in, etc., and Raft, not Rift, which is about people who escaped this universe into a different one with a higher gravitational constant where they live in a planet sized nebula full of tiny stars.

Also Greg Egan has a number of books with settings where some basic aspect of physics is different, but "not for everyone" is the best way I can think of to describe them at the moment.

e: vv right, thanks

eszett engma fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Sep 12, 2019

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Raft, and IIRC the short story was better but it's still interesting.

Egan is a beautiful artist but maybe don't start with something like Dichronauts.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

bowser posted:

Any suggestions?

Nina Allen, Jeannette Ng, and specifically the Folded World books by Cat Valente all kind of fit into what you're describing. The "weird fiction" end of fantasy tends more towards this sort of setup, where a normal world is twisted in some way and then often treated as unremarkable. It's more Latin-American focused but the specifically named "Magical Realist" authors might also interest you. Gabriel Garcia Marques, Carlos Ruiz Zafon, several others--they're often trying to make some underlying point, but they tend to involve a supernatural element that is simply addressed as part of the world.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
I'm reading Yellow Blue Tibia with some surprise. I didn't expect it to be so funny. The interrogation scene had me chuckling quietly on the bus. For those unfamiliar with it, it's about a sci fi writer who was part of a group of USSR writers who dreamt up an absurd alien invasion plot for Stalin. Later, it starts to become true.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

bowser posted:

Any suggestions?
Not sure if it’s a perfect fit, but have you read any Tim Powers (like declare or anubis gates)? Kind of alt supernatural history.

gvibes fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Sep 12, 2019

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

(Gideon the Ninth spoilers)

cultureulterior posted:

Thirded. Absolutely excellent, and I'm really interested in how Harrow is going to work as a protagonist in the next one.

Agreed. Seeing the world from Gideon's POV was extremely enjoyable, and I suspect Harrow will also entertain but differently. And there's the open question of "is Gideon really, truly gone?" -- on one hand the NecroLord says you can't un-Lyctor, but on the other hand we have bodies unaccounted for and the NecroLord strikes me as maybe not entirely infallible as gods go. I'm a little bummed that a number of characters I liked were killed off, but enjoy that "nobody's safe" feeling and am hopeful that the second book will introduce some equally enjoyable secondary cast members. Going to be a long wait until next June (per Amazon) for the second book!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

bowser posted:

Any suggestions?

Borges is exactly who you're looking for. Very similar style. Both are among my favourite writers, not sure whose better.

Start with ficciones.