Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

GenericGirlName posted:

Hey so, this might be a dumb request but what if when you force touched the "..." On the bottom of a post it marked that post as read and automatically took out out the thread?(I wouldn't want this to change what the existing mark as read did though).

What do you do after marking-as-last-read other than immediately leave the thread? If swiping back into the thread were easier, would it change how you feel about closing the thread being the default follow-on action?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Right now there's only 4 actions on the post meatball menu. If we move to the list style there's probably ample room to add "Mark as read and exit thread" if we really think it's that necessary.

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?

Subjunctive posted:

What do you do after marking-as-last-read other than immediately leave the thread? If swiping back into the thread were easier, would it change how you feel about closing the thread being the default follow-on action?

I guess that's a fair point. I would also be fine with the actual mark as read action backed me out of the thread automatically. I have never used that and not left the thread immediately. I suppose I assumed it existed that way for a reason :shrug:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

GenericGirlName posted:

I suppose I assumed it existed that way for a reason :shrug:

I think the behaviour is intended to most closely match the forums web interface behaviour (which is why it's mark-as-last-read instead of the more common and general mark-as-first-unread), but the weight of that design factor might be declining over time.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

MarcusSA posted:

Ok fair enough on the swipe! I didn’t realize it was a problem. Honestly it’s not enough of an issue to pit anytime into. I just assumed (wrongly lol) that it would be something simple.

I mean, it's really nice when apps do it. I've just had miserable experiences the last couple times I've tried is all. I'm up for trying again someday :) but yeah it's more involved than ticking a box. And it's that frustrating kind of thing where it seems to work ok 99% of the time, then the 100th time some weird transparent touch-eating view sits over the whole screen and the app feels like it's frozen.

Keith Atherton posted:

Pulling up to load the next page if there is only one unread post requires pulling way farther up than doing the action from a page with a bunch of posts

Just a nit I’m picking

Bugs me too! It's on the list.

spanky the dolphin posted:

That plat icon is intended to be an inverted style graphic, like the quote icon appears now. So no white backing and tinted grey. As it is now the black circle disappears into the OLED.

Ohhhh. Yep. Got it. No idea why that didn't occur to me :D

Subjunctive posted:

I think the behaviour is intended to most closely match the forums web interface behaviour (which is why it's mark-as-last-read instead of the more common and general mark-as-first-unread), but the weight of that design factor might be declining over time.

Might be, but it's maybe surprisingly high up on the Factor Priority List. For example, I'm down with a setting that toggles whether it's mark-as-last-read or mark-as-first-unread, but I'd still want the default to match the Forums proper.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Hey person who made this, you are loving awesome. You deserve a daily handi or an “ol’fashion” if you will. I’d offer my services but we probably don’t live in the same state.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Harton posted:

Hey person who made this, you are loving awesome. You deserve a daily handi or an “ol’fashion” if you will. I’d offer my services but we probably don’t live in the same state.

A real fan would drive across the country to provide.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Pokeyman is Canadian.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

carry on then posted:

Pokeyman is Canadian.

shortspecialbus posted:

A real fan would drive across the countryborder to provide.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Maybe once or twice a month, I’m gonna need some help to cover the “daily” aspect of the scenario.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Harton posted:

Maybe once or twice a month, I’m gonna need some help to cover the “daily” aspect of the scenario.

You could just average out to daily, and batch them up.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Ohhhh this is good, that could work. I’m actually not that far from the Canadian border right now.......fucker better not be all the way out in Edmonton eh.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

If you scroll a quote so the “posted by” label is just out of the viewport but under the “back” button on the phone or the Parent Forum etc flyout thing, you can still interact with it. I keep trying to return to bookmarks and instead navigating to some random quote.

Also earlier I hit Parent Forum on my iPad and it refreshed the forum list in such a way that the spinner face graphic was stretched to cover the entire forum list pane vertically on top of the forum list while remaining the original width. I wish I had gotten a screenshot, it was hilarious and I’m sure I’ll never manage to reproduce it. Sadly it was not spinning, if that information helps narrow that down. As soon as I pulled down slightly on the list it fixed itself.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

pokeyman posted:

It does, those look great!

Hey I've output all these icons into this folder.

Everything in that folder and subfolder is updated and will have the same naming as before so they should just swap out.

There are some brand new icons too. I've separated 'report' and 'rap-sheet' into 2 icons. There's an updated 'copy-title' icon - I didn't make the original one of these so I don't know if the naming is correct. There's a 'cancel' icon for putting at the bottom of the steamed-ham menu. There's also a parent-forum icon if you want to try putting that in steamed-ham.

Can you have the platinum icon display in the same grey as 'Joined...'? That block of text (Username / Joined) would also look better with a bit more padding to the left between the text and avatar. Like, the same amount as there is to the left of the avatar.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I'm seeing a bug lately that seems to be specific to the iPad version, in which certain threads (notably though possibly coincidentally all among the most recent threads I've bookmarked) seem to be getting stuck in the no-new-posts section of my bookmarks when sort unread bookmarks first is turned on, and also don't correctly show the unread post count (although they do correctly display the last poster). If I turn off sort unread bookmarks first, the threads will sort to the correct place in that order but still with the unread post count incorrect, so I guess somethings dodgy with the sort unread bookmarks code? Maybe?

E: If someone posts in such a thread and I refresh the iPad bookmarks list with sort unread bookmarks first turned off, the post count will update and if I then then sort unread bookmarks first back on the thread will be sorted correctly.

E:E: uh

This is a new one.

Fedule fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Sep 12, 2019

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I suppose this was tested/discussed in beta and no longer in discussion, but the plat icon being a white circle with grenade in it is incredibly distracting in dark modes.

The last one was fine because I mentally blocked it out to the degree that I initially came here to complain about this new feature I wanted off. The best sort of visual indicators are ones that do their job for people who want to know but aren’t standing out to grab the attention of people who aren’t looking for it.

Edit: My brain will eventually adjust, I just don’t know why encircling the logo was necessary rather than working it into the theme

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Sep 12, 2019

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

It should really be about half the opacity and come after the username, not before it. It’s not like it went through rigorous testing or anything you can see in a few posts above yours they’re still working it out.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Burg button is good 🍔

Violator
May 15, 2003

Is it possible to change link colors in dark mode? I’m a broken down old man now and can’t see the blue. :(

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Violator posted:

Is it possible to change link colors in dark mode? I’m a broken down old man now and can’t see the blue. :(
Agreed on this request

jackhunter64 posted:

Burg button is good 🍔
:worship::worship:
  :worship: :worship:

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Why’s there a grenade icon next to my name in the app now?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

nwin posted:

Why’s there a grenade icon next to your name on the site now?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

nwin posted:

You’re a member of the elite posting cadre.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTvk6HrTKUQ

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

The Dave posted:

Why’s there a grenade icon next to your name on the site now?

I dunno. Maybe because I donated?

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

I am pretty sure that's for people with plat?

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Grace Baiting posted:

[scrollthumbs issue]
Vague update on what I've seen with this: it seems to mainly, possibly only, occur when there's a Twitter embed (or YouTube embed?) on my currently open thread. Threads without such embeds seem to retain their scrollthumbs when the app loads back into memory and rerenders that thread.
Paying more attention to this, I've now definitely observed my scrollthumbs vanishing on thread rerender on pages that have zero embedded external content. Mostly it seems to occur either when I click an embedded tweet or YouTube to open it in the Awful browser, or when I switch to one or more apps that use mapping etc, both of which I imagine are just related to the amount of memory those actions use up. Unfortunately I haven't found any reproducible rest case thus far, nor any peculiar/specific characteristics of the pages this happens to.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Bug: Every time I use the app I want to eat a burger. Please advise.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

The Dave posted:

It should really be about half the opacity and come after the username, not before it. It’s not like it went through rigorous testing or anything you can see in a few posts above yours they’re still working it out.

Yeah, this.

Here are some mockups of how I see the plat icon working well.
I've added some padding to the left of the username and shifted the plat icon to after username (this rule would also apply to mod stars etc.)

We've been over this before too but the Joined and Post Date text could stand to be more subtle. It's unnecessary visual clutter for something that users rarely read. Last time someone mentioned there are iOS guidelines for text brightness, but the actual content is so much easier to parse this way I think it's worth ignoring that specific guideline, especially since the information isn't really important.

The way I set it up in my photoshop mockup should be able to be applied easily in code:

For light theme this text and the plat icon is #000000 black at 30% opacity.
For dark theme this text and the plat icon is #FFFFFF white at 30% opacity.

Also minor UI nitpick - the top left main back arrow is sitting a few pixels higher than the post icon on the top right. (My mockups correct that.)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

That new grenade logo beside usernames is some rear end.
Would be great to be able to toggle it off.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I look at post date every day

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I've been on OLED mode so I didn't even realize they were there

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This probably ins't the right thread for it but... how does thread voting work? I've noticed I can vote for a thread every time I go into it but does that actually get registered or just the first vote?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

power crystals posted:

If you scroll a quote so the “posted by” label is just out of the viewport but under the “back” button on the phone or the Parent Forum etc flyout thing, you can still interact with it. I keep trying to return to bookmarks and instead navigating to some random quote.

I think this is just the hitbox of the link (which often extends a bit beyond the visual area taken up by the text). But I see why that’s annoying when trying to tap Back.

quote:

Also earlier I hit Parent Forum on my iPad and it refreshed the forum list in such a way that the spinner face graphic was stretched to cover the entire forum list pane vertically on top of the forum list while remaining the original width. I wish I had gotten a screenshot, it was hilarious and I’m sure I’ll never manage to reproduce it. Sadly it was not spinning, if that information helps narrow that down. As soon as I pulled down slightly on the list it fixed itself.

I think I’ve seen that once or twice and yeah it’s hilarious! Man do I ever hate pull to refresh. Seemingly impossible to implement perfectly.

Hey I've output all these icons into this folder.

Everything in that folder and subfolder is updated and will have the same naming as before so they should just swap out.

There are some brand new icons too. I've separated 'report' and 'rap-sheet' into 2 icons. There's an updated 'copy-title' icon - I didn't make the original one of these so I don't know if the naming is correct. There's a 'cancel' icon for putting at the bottom of the steamed-ham menu. There's also a parent-forum icon if you want to try putting that in steamed-ham.

Can you have the platinum icon display in the same grey as 'Joined...'? That block of text (Username / Joined) would also look better with a bit more padding to the left between the text and avatar. Like, the same amount as there is to the left of the avatar.

Awesome, thanks! And yep those sound like good tweaks. No idea when but I’ll add it to the list.

Fedule posted:

I'm seeing a bug lately that seems to be specific to the iPad version, in which certain threads (notably though possibly coincidentally all among the most recent threads I've bookmarked) seem to be getting stuck in the no-new-posts section of my bookmarks when sort unread bookmarks first is turned on, and also don't correctly show the unread post count (although they do correctly display the last poster). If I turn off sort unread bookmarks first, the threads will sort to the correct place in that order but still with the unread post count incorrect, so I guess somethings dodgy with the sort unread bookmarks code? Maybe?

E: If someone posts in such a thread and I refresh the iPad bookmarks list with sort unread bookmarks first turned off, the post count will update and if I then then sort unread bookmarks first back on the thread will be sorted correctly.

E:E: uh

This is a new one.

Yep that’s hosed up! I’ll put it on my list. Sorry for the inconvenience.

The Dave posted:

Yeah I felt silly uploading like five consecutive builds with a delta of 2kb worth of pngs so I mashed the ship it button. Totally up for tweaking it.

Elitist Bitch posted:

I am pretty sure that's for people with plat?

It’s this. Previously it was a black icon on a dark background in some dark themes, so understandably easy to miss.

Grace Baiting posted:

Paying more attention to this, I've now definitely observed my scrollthumbs vanishing on thread rerender on pages that have zero embedded external content. Mostly it seems to occur either when I click an embedded tweet or YouTube to open it in the Awful browser, or when I switch to one or more apps that use mapping etc, both of which I imagine are just related to the amount of memory those actions use up. Unfortunately I haven't found any reproducible rest case thus far, nor any peculiar/specific characteristics of the pages this happens to.

Appreciate it, and I’m noting all this down so don’t feel like it’s going to waste :)

MarcusSA posted:

This probably ins't the right thread for it but... how does thread voting work? I've noticed I can vote for a thread every time I go into it but does that actually get registered or just the first vote?

Your new vote replaces your old vote.

(Also Awful had a bug for awhile where no matter what option you chose it submitted a vote of 5 (or maybe 1). But that’s fixed.)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

pokeyman posted:

I

Your new vote replaces your old vote.

(Also Awful had a bug for awhile where no matter what option you chose it submitted a vote of 5 (or maybe 1). But that’s fixed.)

Interesting!

Thanks!

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Quantum of Phallus posted:

That new grenade logo beside usernames is some rear end.
Would be great to be able to toggle it off.

I wasn’t gonna phrase it quite like that, but yeah...I’m not a fan.

The hamburger icon, on the other hand, I’m good with.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Somewhat along those lines I'm not thrilled with the new expand/collapse icons for the forum list. Either one is fine on its own but that combination feels weird. I think it's that the traditional +/- makes expand the "heavier" icon but now the circled - takes that place over the uncircled v. Maybe just stick a circle around the v too?

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

power crystals posted:

Somewhat along those lines I'm not thrilled with the new expand/collapse icons for the forum list. Either one is fine on its own but that combination feels weird. I think it's that the traditional +/- makes expand the "heavier" icon but now the circled - takes that place over the uncircled v. Maybe just stick a circle around the v too?

Yeah it's not perfect. The reason I changed it was because the minus - symbol was such low weight it didn't feel like a button. I made a flipped (up) arrow for collapse which is packaged with all the other new icons that'll be implemented at some point soon hopefully.

Another thing that would help this forum view would be removing the division lines in expanded lists. It'd make it more clear what forum each subforum belongs to.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
A ^ icon for collapsing subforums would look a lot better. The new one just adds visual clutter without any benefit. The indentation of the subforum name works just fine to show the hierarchy and everyone’s familiar with tree views

Also I like the placement of the plat grenade icon but it was much cleaner without the circle backdrop. Could the app swap between black and white icons based on whether dark mode is turned on or not?

Just my 2 cents - thanks for all the great work!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Yeah it's not perfect. The reason I changed it was because the minus - symbol was such low weight it didn't feel like a button. I made a flipped (up) arrow for collapse which is packaged with all the other new icons that'll be implemented at some point soon hopefully.

Another thing that would help this forum view would be removing the division lines in expanded lists. It'd make it more clear what forum each subforum belongs to.

That's fair for the icon.

What about shortening the division lines so they're "indented" like the names are? I like the lines as they are and not having them in subforums would feel weird. Plus that'd get extra confusing for the handful of sub-sub-forums.