Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

From a comment down the thread:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Ah poo poo, the two places I've applied to both want to hire me and now I gotta choose between chill and local but pays less or corporate and farther but pays more. I already filled out all the forms for the latter (a sushi restaurant 30-40min away with potentially horrible traffic) when I saw the acceptance e-mail from the former (community college cafeteria 10min away). It's a $2/hour difference and the money/advancement potential is way better at the sushi place but man have I gotten used to a short commute over the past few years and I could probably get cool stuff like discounted/free gym membership at the college.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Commuting is hell and advancement is a carrot on a stick made out of lies. Also you'd probably just drink that extra $2/hr

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

I don’t really know how much $2 is worth in an American context tbh but the benefits of gym membership and a shorter commute would probably edge out in Australia. I did 4 years of dishwashing/food prep next door to me and it makes the awful hours so much easier to deal with, just knowing when the shift is over you can walk home is really good for keeping spirits high.

From your post it sounds like you want to work in the college and you’re looking for reasons to follow through with corporate: just go with your first choice.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Yeah I'm gonna go with the college. Extra benefit is I'd be home before 7pm every night and weekends off. I just wish I saw that e-mail before I did all the stuff with the sushi place because now I feel bad for the guy who hired me on the spot.

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

Send him an email explaining what happened, you don’t have any reason to apologise and he’s likely going through hundreds of applications for the spot anyway. If you end up trying for there in eight months it’s handy to have your name remembered as someone courteous.
Keep in mind though, you were just his first pick, not his only pick. You didn’t ruin his business, you didn’t leave him hanging, you just got offered two jobs. You have no reason to feel bad. You were just the best, not the only.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I know but I think of all the times a manager told me "Hey I just hired a new guy" only for my hopes to be dashed and now I'm the guy. Of course this all happened in the span of about three and a half hours so I don't feel THAT bad but I know how hard it is finding good cooks.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Republicans posted:

Yeah I'm gonna go with the college. Extra benefit is I'd be home before 7pm every night and weekends off. I just wish I saw that e-mail before I did all the stuff with the sushi place because now I feel bad for the guy who hired me on the spot.

Good for you, sane hours and weekends off have to easily be worth more than 2 bucks an hour.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Yeah, you're making the right choice. It would take noticeably higher pay for me to eat a 30-40 minute commute each way - or enough of a better job that it would be worth moving. Commuting sucks.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I don't mind a long commute if it's all/mostly highway but it would be 100% normal roads, meanwhile the college is just down the highway from me.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Republicans posted:

Ah poo poo, the two places I've applied to both want to hire me and now I gotta choose between chill and local but pays less or corporate and farther but pays more. I already filled out all the forms for the latter (a sushi restaurant 30-40min away with potentially horrible traffic) when I saw the acceptance e-mail from the former (community college cafeteria 10min away). It's a $2/hour difference and the money/advancement potential is way better at the sushi place but man have I gotten used to a short commute over the past few years and I could probably get cool stuff like discounted/free gym membership at the college.

Honestly, just ask the college if they can match your offer. Its a 2$ difference. If you don't ask, it won't happen!

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

I'll point out that "sushi" probably looks better on the ol' resumé than "cafeteria" but lol at getting paid $2/hour extra for an extra hour+ a day just on the road. Is that going to pay for the extra gas, or the extra wear and tear on both your vehicle and you?

You should be basing this on what that hour is worth to you. It also sounds like the side benefits are better at the closer place.

I also agree with the above. Make it a bargaining chip!

/e it would also help to have a ballpark on how much extra that $2/hour is. Like if you're living somewhere cheap and it's a difference of $8 or $10/hour, that's a big deal. If it's the difference between $18 and $20 or better, no-brainer to go with convenience. But if it's the former that wear and tear on you and your car are going to be much worse on your finances anyway.

And before anyone thinks I'm lowballing too much on that $8-10, well, This Is America.

stringless fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Sep 10, 2019

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I keep forgetting a lot of you guys in this thread live in places it's not illegal to pay someone less than 12-15 dollars an hour. Your rent's a lot cheaper though so it probably balances out.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Yeah, cost of living is all over the place. A few years ago I was at $300/month plus a share of utilities in a decent house in a great neighborhood. I've moved to a different state and now my share is $900/month for a much smaller apartment. Tipped labor minimum wage more than quadrupled with the move, though!

I should clarify that this makes it much more difficult to get hours on the clock, especially as the new guy.

stringless fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Sep 10, 2019

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Skwirl posted:

I keep forgetting a lot of you guys in this thread live in places it's not illegal to pay someone less than 12-15 dollars an hour. Your rent's a lot cheaper though so it probably balances out.

$9/hr minimum, $2.13/hr for tipped employees, at-will employment state, and my ~1000 sq ft 2 bdr/1 bath is less than 600/mo bc i've lived here for 15 years (it'd be just under 700/mo if i was a new tenant)

so yes i've lived off min wage but now i don't and also i'm drunk every night and nothing in this world matters bc i have tomorrow off~

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I'm front of house and I've also never worked in a state where minimum wage was significantly less for tipped workers.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Skwirl posted:

I'm front of house and I've also never worked in a state where minimum wage was significantly less for tipped workers.

Federal minimum wage for tipped labor is ~$2.13 or 2.14 per hour so good on you for being in states that aren't assholes in that specific way.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Does the college gig include a break on tuition or anything like that? If so, no question

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Anne Whateley posted:

Does the college gig include a break on tuition or anything like that? If so, no question

This is a great point - are you pursuing a career in restaurants, or is this a job? If it's a job and you're interested in doing something else (even if you don't know what that something might be), cafeteria hands down if you get discounted tuition.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

FFT posted:

Federal minimum wage for tipped labor is ~$2.13 or 2.14 per hour so good on you for being in states that aren't assholes in that specific way.

Yeah, I've only worked in Washington and California.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Kids of college cafeteria workers got free tuition when I went to school

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Sep 10, 2019

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Kids of college cafeteria workers got free tuition when I went to school

Very much depends on if the workers are employees of the college/university itself or if they bring in an outside company to run and staff it. But yeah, definitely look into it.

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.
courtesy of yospos https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3847958&perpage=40&pagenumber=1535#post498243584

quote:

so, in a fun local angle to all this, a local hip restaurant was affected because they used mphr and all the employees got their paychecks reversed. this was the last straw in what had been months of tensions between staff and the owner, so all of the staff quit. local news ran a story about it, and the owner didn't provide comment. after it ran (and the owner got his rear end dragged to hell online), he finally decided to make some statements to the local paper and hoo boy this this get interesting: https://www.timesunion.com/news/art...er-14432297.php

quote:

All 26 employees of The Shop, including Matthews and operations director Jared Barton, resigned after service on Sunday night. They left a folder of their resignation letters on the bar, the culmination of what five former employees characterized as long-simmering tensions between Blodgett and his two senior managers.

quote:

In interviews Wednesday, Blodgett denied he had been abusive, saying he was firm in his management style after he felt Matthews and Barton had been lax.

"When someone screwed up, I made it known that they had screwed up and that it couldn't continue," Blodgett said. "When you're dealing with a bunch of millennials that feel all kinds of self-entitled, you have to keep them in line. I made it very clear: If they didn't like it, they could quit. They were making such good money that they didn't quit."

millenials!

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Hey, so this is fairly local to me, so I can add on a few neat little tidbits that might be glossed over on the national level.

Like for one, the employees were so fed up with the owner that they were already planning on walking out at the end of Restaurant Week (which is a local celebration of all of the neat little places that have popped up in recent years in downtown Troy), the whole payroll issue just moved things up quickly. There were also long-standing issues between the owner and both the head chef and ops manager, including cutting pay with no provocation by up to 50%. Also, apparently the head chef was on the sex offender registry as a level 3 sex offender (though his crime was back in '04), and on top of trying to blame millennials for his woes the owner also dropped that bomb to one of the local papers as well.

So yeah, while I'm not really trying to stan for a kiddie toucher, dude seemed to be getting his poo poo together and just ended up working for a chode. Payroll issues caused by this other payroll place basically up and evaporating is just fuel for the fire.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

article’s 404d

still lol late stage capitalism

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

re-up on the article with the owner's responses: https://www.timesunion.com/news/article/The-Shop-s-owner-goes-on-attack-against-former-14432297.php

hth

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation

quote:

"When someone screwed up, I made it known that they had screwed up and that it couldn't continue," Blodgett said. "When you're dealing with a bunch of millennials that feel all kinds of self-entitled, you have to keep them in line. I made it very clear: If they didn't like it, they could quit. They were making such good money that they didn't quit."
An incredible quote from a guy who did in fact literally have every staff member quit. How is it possible to lack self awareness that hard?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Given the abuse I've put up with and what I've seen others put up with, without quitting, getting 26 people to walk out in unison is a pretty amazing accomplishment.

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

My whole life just flashed before my eyes! Dude, I sleep a lot.

Skwirl posted:

Given the abuse I've put up with and what I've seen others put up with, without quitting, getting 26 people to walk out in unison is a pretty amazing accomplishment.

An owner/owner's son/manager by me punched an employee (allegedly) and still only had like 1/3 of the staff leave.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Like the massive paycheck gently caress up was probably the final straw, but it sounds like that happened to hundreds of companies and they didn't have massive walkouts.

bare bottom pancakes
Sep 3, 2015

Production: Complete
We had an issue with payroll a few months back, but the GM and owners each made several statements regarding what happened and when we would get paid. You know, instead of throwing their hands in the air and saying "talk to your banks". Glad at least one incompetent rear end in a top hat in the world gets to see some kind of consequence.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/hughhowey/status/1172906319264845824?s=19

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things
This poo poo drives me nuts. If you're a fancy place then have a professional in putting pepper on dishes put the pepper on dishes. If you don't have that sort of person then give me a pepper grinder/spice rack and I will season to taste. There's no chance I can eye ball a dish and a pepper grinder and know how much pepper I want on it.

twodot fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Sep 15, 2019

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

This is the most evil thing I've ever seen.

https://twitter.com/ShortJared/status/1173017771459907590?s=19

Keep in mind Papa John's owner was against Obama care because it meant they'd have to charge an extra fifteen cents a pizza to cover their employees.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Sep 15, 2019

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
It's also an entirely optional thing, he could just... not pay it and wait for his pizza like everyone else. :confused:

It's still pretty bad though

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Malachite_Dragon posted:

It's also an entirely optional thing, he could just... not pay it and wait for his pizza like everyone else. :confused:

It's still pretty bad though

Would you like this post to be read by more people? Get AwfullyFast priority status for just 2.99!

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Why would I *want* people to read my terrible posts? I have some standards

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Skwirl posted:

This is the most evil thing I've ever seen.

https://twitter.com/ShortJared/status/1173017771459907590?s=19

Keep in mind Papa John's owner was against Obama care because it meant they'd have to charge an extra fifteen cents a pizza to cover their employees.

How can it both put your order first and not effect other orders?

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Discendo Vox posted:

Beating your employees to make them work faster?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

Presumably the magic is in the delivery routing. Pizzas still have to be made; when it comes out they send the car with them to yours first.