Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Angry_Ed posted:

It says a lot when the least lovely person in the cabinet is Secretary of Energy Rick Perry.

rick perry tried to give nuclear secrets to SA

VA is going to be the frontrunner considering how federally irrelevant it is; the only people the position can hurt are veterans. every other cabinet position has a hideous amount of power

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

imagine being so loving dumb it takes you 60 years to figure out the party of the Southern Strategy is racist

E: lol Trump called him "my African American" and only now is he bothered by it 3 years later

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

KillHour posted:

This is the opposite of true. The first generation of self driving cars are those that let you drive but take over in an emergency. We're already driving them - my car will steer me back into my lane and slam on the brakes if it thinks I'm going to hit something. People who are unable to drive safely are exactly the people that need to be using self driving cars.

this isn't self driving though, this is just driver assist. helpful, but you're still in primary control of the vehicle. by SAE standards you've got a level 2 car on a scale from 0-5

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a15079828/autonomous-self-driving-car-levels-car-levels/

first gen self driving cars will likely be level 3 or above, that is the target the industry is trying to hit in the next decade. but these vehicles still require active monitoring by a driver who is active and alert to what's going on. this will have some positive impact on fatalities related to speeding, since self driving cars probably won't regularly break the speed limit (unless you go into manual control, then it's not self-driving). but what about people who are busy phone posting on reddit or nodding off when the car suddenly throws an alert and switches to manual mode?

there's a safety hump here where we are decades away from level 4 or 5 automation in general use, and level 3 automation is going to exacerbate bad driver tendencies in a way which is a detraction to road safety rather than a benefit

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/ktbenner/status/1172195511929118722?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Nail Rat posted:

Okay if you want to be the first to ride in one while there's still a bunch of human drivers out there, go ahead, to me, that sounds risky.

You going to get everyone to switch at once? That's not possible.

The swap to driverless cars is gonna be different than you think. Safety features like lane assist and automatic braking are going to continue to expand until your average driver only has the illusion of driving their own car, at which point why not let it take over. This is assuming things like not devolving into Mad Max conditions though.

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer

mango sentinel posted:

The swap to driverless cars is gonna be different than you think. Safety features like lane assist and automatic braking are going to continue to expand until your average driver only has the illusion of driving their own car, at which point why not let it take over. This is assuming things like not devolving into Mad Max conditions though.

Mad Max but all the people are dead and it's just self driving cars.

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

KillHour posted:

This is the opposite of true. The first generation of self driving cars are those that let you drive but take over in an emergency. We're already driving them - my car will steer me back into my lane and slam on the brakes if it thinks I'm going to hit something. People who are unable to drive safely are exactly the people that need to be using self driving cars.

Where self driving cars have trouble is in poor visibility conditions, which is when people are generally paying more attention while driving anyways.

You also have people who shove a tennis ball in their steering wheel or whatever to trick the car into thinking they are ready/able to take over. As long as bad drivers exist they are a danger to everyone in the vicinity, and it doesnt matter what the car can or will do

motoh
Oct 16, 2012

The clack of a light autocannon going off is just how you know everything's alright.

mango sentinel posted:

Or, alternatively, all of the responsibility and none of the control. Your car was driver assisting itself onto that sidewalk, but you're the one going to jail.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Party Plane Jones posted:

Goddamit Lowtax! :argh:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Party Plane Jones posted:

Little known fact: Lowtax tried to accept them but Radium couldn't get attachments working in PMs.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

mango sentinel posted:

The swap to driverless cars is gonna be different than you think. Safety features like lane assist and automatic braking are going to continue to expand

the average age of a vehicle on the road in america is just shy of 12 year old

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/average-vehicle-age-increase-america/

assuming that the government mandated every car sold had automated safety features, it would take 12 years for roughly half of vehicles to have these features. adoption rates will be slow because people don't buy new cars mostly, they buy used cars and hang on to them. and this is assuming that the mandating of new features doesn't impact car sales or distort the used manual driver market

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1172198767627526151

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

motoh posted:

Or, alternatively, all of the responsibility and none of the control. Your car was driver assisting itself onto that sidewalk, but you're the one going to jail.

Assuming you aren't drunk, almost no one ever goes to jail for killing someone with their car.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Hold me back, man! Otherwise I’m going to kick this punk’s rear end!

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Donald the Hawk??

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

eke out posted:

he learned about negative interest rates and is literally and unironically convinced it's one weird trick to get paid to have debt and doesn't understand why every country doesn't immediately make their interest rates negative

it's like one step removed in stupidity from "how can we have national debt if we can just print money to make it go away?"

Pages back, but I am honestly surprised that Trump hasn't tried to do this already. Given the state of his mind and his understanding of economics, being able to print money has got to be his literal lifelong dream.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

"Actually I wanted to invade even harder" :allears:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

He wanted to nuke Venezuela didn't he

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

I love how everyone he has ever hired was an excellent person until he is displeased with them and then they were schmucks who couldn't even pour water out of a boot.

I know this is how he's always been and it's classic narcissistic behavior. I just can't get over it, as an actual human being with a soul and a conscience.

BigBallChunkyTime fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Sep 12, 2019

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Our first poser president

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

motoh posted:

That is what will actually happen.

No company will sell driverless cars if they have the liability, obviously, because even the best software is terrible and error-prone (and because this is late-stage capitalism the software will not be the best, it will be outsourced for $6/hour) so the only way driverless cars happen is if each one of us is randomly on the hook for $2 million every time the car misidentifies a pedestrian as a plastic bag blowing across the road.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I am sincerely surprised Trump and Maduro don't get along. They are like two peas in a pod looking at them from the outside.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

luxury handset posted:

this isn't self driving though, this is just driver assist. helpful, but you're still in primary control of the vehicle. by SAE standards you've got a level 2 car on a scale from 0-5

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a15079828/autonomous-self-driving-car-levels-car-levels/

first gen self driving cars will likely be level 3 or above, that is the target the industry is trying to hit in the next decade. but these vehicles still require active monitoring by a driver who is active and alert to what's going on. this will have some positive impact on fatalities related to speeding, since self driving cars probably won't regularly break the speed limit (unless you go into manual control, then it's not self-driving). but what about people who are busy phone posting on reddit or nodding off when the car suddenly throws an alert and switches to manual mode?

there's a safety hump here where we are decades away from level 4 or 5 automation in general use, and level 3 automation is going to exacerbate bad driver tendencies in a way which is a detraction to road safety rather than a benefit

I don’t get your line of thinking.

Today we have awful drivers on the road. And by awful, I literally do mean every single person. From the guy that actually drives the speed limits to the person that says gently caress YOU YOU POS and speeds past when you turn on your blinker to signal a turn.

If tomorrow we can have cars that can mostly drive themselves but need a human to pay attention just “in case” then we would have safer roads overall because once again every single human being is an awful driver.

But we don’t need to wait for tomorrow. Those exist today. Tomorrow will be even better.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

VitalSigns posted:

That is what will actually happen.

No company will sell driverless cars if they have the liability, obviously, because even the best software is terrible and error-prone (and because this is late-stage capitalism the software will not be the best, it will be outsourced for $6/hour) so the only way driverless cars happen is if each one of us is randomly on the hook for $2 million every time the car misidentifies a pedestrian as a plastic bag blowing across the road.

I think it was Cadillac that said they were taking any responsibility for accidents caused by super cruise.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Just gonna brag that John loving Bolton thought I was being a little bloodthirsty.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Boris Galerkin posted:

I don’t get your line of thinking.

Today we have awful drivers on the road. And by awful, I literally do mean every single person. From the guy that actually drives the speed limits to the person that says gently caress YOU YOU POS and speeds past when you turn on your blinker to signal a turn.

If tomorrow we can have cars that can mostly drive themselves but need a human to pay attention just “in case” then we would have safer roads overall because once again every single human being is an awful driver.

But we don’t need to wait for tomorrow. Those exist today. Tomorrow will be even better.

this is a really big, unsupported if. hoping that self driving cars fix the mess that we created by creating a built environment oriented around automobiles is basically the Wired Magazine version of a genie's wish

every single human is not an awful driver. if you think this is true you'd be better off arguing that we ban cars entirely rather than praying robot jesus comes to save us from ourselves

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

luxury handset posted:

the average age of a vehicle on the road in america is just shy of 12 year old

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/average-vehicle-age-increase-america/

assuming that the government mandated every car sold had automated safety features, it would take 12 years for roughly half of vehicles to have these features. adoptieon rates will be slow because people don't buy new cars mostly, they buy used cars and hang on to them. and this is assuming that the mandating of new features doesn't impact car sales or distort the used manual driver market

Consider for context we probably need to get every single gas and diesel vehicle off the road within the next 15-20 max. So there is that as we calculate fleet age.

(Also there's good evidence that self driving EVs will be worse for the climate than regular EVs, since its often cheaper to drive it around empty and waste energy rather than park. Fun times!)

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Oh my god. We're living in some comedy dimension where Bolton wanted a war with Iran ~so badly~ that he kept trying to talk Trump out of invading six other countries at the same time, and Trump loving fired him over it. :allears:

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Boris Galerkin posted:

I mean right now you have people texting on their phones while doing their makeup and/or shaving with a breakfast burrito in their hands.

Human drivers are all terrible and I’d honestly trust an AI driver over any human any day.

I’m talking specifically about being driven by an AI, here. If I was riding in a car and someone tried to do dumb poo poo I’d make them stop. If my AI chauffeur does something stupid I’d have to realize it’s making a mistake before it’s too late to slam the brakes. An AI isn’t going to make an obvious mistake like looking at their phone, it’s going to silently fail and try to kill me/someone on purpose.

Maybe if I didn’t have to force quit some program every dang day on my job I’d be more trusting of software, but I’ll probably always prefer to just take the bus.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Found it.

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2017/10/gm-clarifies-the-liability-question-with-self-driving-cars/

Pigbuster posted:

I’m talking specifically about being driven by an AI, here. If I was riding in a car and someone tried to do dumb poo poo I’d make them stop. If my AI chauffeur does something stupid I’d have to realize it’s making a mistake before it’s too late to slam the brakes. An AI isn’t going to make an obvious mistake like looking at their phone, it’s going to silently fail and try to kill me/someone on purpose.

Maybe if I didn’t have to force quit some program every dang day on my job I’d be more trusting of software, but I’ll probably always prefer to just take the bus.

AI doesn't mean "thinks for itself." Your car isn't going to try to do anything any more than your Roomba tries to eat your shoelaces (stupid goddamn Roomba).

KillHour fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Sep 12, 2019

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

mango sentinel posted:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

quote:

In a Super Cruise situation, because the driver is still in the driver’s seat, and they are supposed to be driving, and the car is helping them, the driver is still liable,” GM’s head of innovation, Warwick Stirling, told Car Advice.

“[As for] the question of liability, if the driver is not driving, the driver is not liable. The car is driving,” he added.

That says the opposite.

It says that with Super Cruise the driver is liable. In theory with a different system that didn't require the driver to be driving then they wouldn't be liable. Conveniently, that system doesn't exist.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Dubar posted:

You also have people who shove a tennis ball in their steering wheel or whatever to trick the car into thinking they are ready/able to take over. As long as bad drivers exist they are a danger to everyone in the vicinity, and it doesnt matter what the car can or will do

As far as I know only one brand of car has such a lovely "is the driver paying attention?" system that it can be fooled by a lump of something heavy. It just happens to be the one most aggressively pushing self-driving as a magic traffic fatality cure-all, the one with the shittiest sensor system for actual driving control (but which has an impressive ability to find and hit fire trucks), AND the one most likely to be owned by techno-fetishists who want to show off how they are cheating the safety system.

Other manufacturers on the other hand are implementing systems which will freak out and make your life miserable if you so much as glance away from the road for "just a few" seconds.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

RBA Starblade posted:

He wanted to nuke Venezuela didn't he

He saw the Jack Ryan trailer.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

VitalSigns posted:

That says the opposite.

It says that with Super Cruise the driver is liable. In theory with a different system that didn't require the driver to be driving then they wouldn't be liable. Conveniently, that system doesn't exist.

You're right and I'm tired. It's weird that he seemingly contradicted himself in the next sentence though.

Shifty Pony posted:

As far as I know only one brand of car has such a lovely "is the driver paying attention?" system that it can be fooled by a lump of something heavy. It just happens to be the one most aggressively pushing self-driving as a magic traffic fatality cure-all, the one with the shittiest sensor system for actual driving control (but which has an impressive ability to find and hit fire trucks), AND the one most likely to be owned by techno-fetishists who want to show off how they are cheating the safety system.

Other manufacturers on the other hand are implementing systems which will freak out and make your life miserable if you so much as glance away from the road for "just a few" seconds.

Do Teslas really just rely on pressure sensors? My Kia makes me actually turn the wheel a little bit every once in a while.

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind
Though the wind won't help you fly at all

I wonder how far I could get into a TED Talk about how the real revolution will be in passengerless cars before they cut my mic off

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Of course this comes out right as you had the GOP push the “Bolton wanted wars and action!” angle, whether or not they liked that or not

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

Shifty Pony posted:

the point being that people are awful and no matter what safety features you put in, the first thing people will do is try to circumvent them. Self driving cars need to not only drive safely, but also actively prevent the person using them from sabotaging the safety mechanisms

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

betaraywil posted:

I wonder how far I could get into a TED Talk about how the real revolution will be in passengerless cars before they cut my mic off

If it's a TEDx you could probably talk about the interesting undigested bits you pick out of your stool without having your mic cut off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

The Super-Id posted:

Mad Max but all the people are dead and it's just self driving cars.

This has some serious short story potential. Maybe the cars are all politely trying to go to grocery stores, recharging stations, and places of business as well, not on the fury road.