Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLdDfoTPAP4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Preston Waters posted:

how the gently caress

I'm guessing that's not possible?

I'm guessing about as possible as dismantling Mt Everest rock by rock; theoretically possible, but good luck actually doing it.

It'd be interesting to see the math on how deep the channel would be and how much it would cost, though...

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

AnoHito posted:

I'm guessing about as possible as dismantling Mt Everest rock by rock; theoretically possible, but good luck actually doing it.

It'd be interesting to see the math on how deep the channel would be and how much it would cost, though...

they’d have to deal with the trench in the Irish Sea where the Brits dumped their chemical weapons and nuclear waste in the 50s

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Preston Waters posted:

how the gently caress

how loving dumb are you

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Goa Tse-tung posted:

how loving dumb are you

oh please filling up the Irish Sea is easier than the plans to drain the Mediterranean

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

AnoHito posted:

It's easy; just salvage all the munitions the UK dumped where they're building a land bridge, and use them to make the new channel. The phosgene would help keep the taigs away.

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

really disappointed boris didn’t have liz refuse assent on that bill, what a bitch

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the bitcoin of weed posted:

wasn't bojo going to be arrested for treason against the crown did that get dropped

no that was a rowdy scotsman threatening a citizens arrest

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

a modest proposal

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Raskolnikov38 posted:

oh please filling up the Irish Sea is easier than the plans to drain the Mediterranean

it's even easier to drain the entirety of the Great Lakes to fire one giant laser at your enemies

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

lots of bremoaners itt

if it was up to you we never would have build the Suez or the panama channel. I bet you all never even hosed a pig

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

no that was a rowdy scotsman threatening a citizens arrest

how do i support this patriot

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Preston Waters posted:

how the gently caress

Certainly not with this attitude.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Victory Position posted:

it's even easier to drain the entirety of the Great Lakes to fire one giant laser at your enemies

We've set one of them on fire, so work is in progress.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

genericnick posted:

Certainly not with this attitude.

I’ll get the glitter and fax machine

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

happyhippy posted:

Cheaper to just kill us all and blame the french.

Pinter already did it
https://www.guardian.co.uk/stage/20...y-trump-nuclear

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1172193087919198208?s=19

Also

https://twitter.com/10DowningStreet/status/1172193434960048128?s=19

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

ArmZ posted:

a modest proposal

I also assume the source of the image was satirical

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

it would
probably be like 1.5 trillion lamo

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
I'm sure it wouldn't be that hard to build a bridge, bigger ones have been done before - but it'd cost about 5x as much as he's saying.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

wtf

how real is this

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010

Thom12255 posted:

I'm sure it wouldn't be that hard to build a bridge, bigger ones have been done before - but it'd cost about 5x as much as he's saying.

It's not about the size of the bridge, it's about the peoples it brings together

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Thom12255 posted:

I'm sure it wouldn't be that hard to build a bridge, bigger ones have been done before

longer, yes, but not deeper. cf the engineer's tweet listing the ludicrousness of it.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

I like how the bridge plan makes absolutely no sense, as even the current longest bridge, Oresund, initially terminates onto an artificial island before descending into a tunnel into an island near Copenhagen

it works due to the Schengen Agreement, allowing for the construction of such an artificial island between Sweden and Denmark, but I guess Johnson didn't really think it out, so he's imagining a literal Brooklyn Bridge that's like 22 miles long

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Victory Position posted:

I like how the bridge plan makes absolutely no sense, as even the current longest bridge, Oresund, initially terminates onto an artificial island before descending into a tunnel into an island near Copenhagen

it works due to the Schengen Agreement, allowing for the construction of such an artificial island between Sweden and Denmark, but I guess Johnson didn't really think it out, so he's imagining a literal Brooklyn Bridge that's like 22 miles long
Just scale Brooklyn Bridge up, easy peasy. A 400 lane bridge would really connect NI to Great Britain.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
Also due to the depth of the trench, it would have to be almost a mile high. Imagine building something that's held up by pillars a mile high in an area that is incredibly prone to violent storms and if anything goes wrong you are 10 miles away from any land in the middle of the ocean.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Dravs posted:

Also due to the depth of the trench, it would have to be almost a mile high. Imagine building something that's held up by pillars a mile high in an area that is incredibly prone to violent storms and if anything goes wrong you are 10 miles away from any land in the middle of the ocean.

I did try to find information concerning the depth of pylons driven into the sea in order to make Oresund work, but came up empty. On the plus side, this is a return to Victorian Age work safety catastrophe, only magnified by some exponential amount!

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Dravs posted:

I bet you'd get a few cars every year that got washed into the ocean. Not my idea of a good time.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i cannot believe you would all disparage england's can-do blitz spirit like this. everything is world war 2 and you cannot convince me otherwise

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Just fill up the trench with the Dead Of Brexit, old chap.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Dravs posted:

if anything goes wrong you are 10 miles away from any land in the middle of the ocean.

on a bridge built on top of 1.5m tons of abandoned assorted unexploded ordnance

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

we won world war 2, incidentally. it was all us

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

we won world war 2, incidentally. it was all us

I was listening to a podcast the other day, and they quoted somebody who said "British people eat like the Germans are still flying overhead". I thought that was a pretty good line -- they really get off on the WWII flashbacks.

(I am not saying the US is any better, so settle down, you eggs and beans. :wotwot:)

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012
If you think the border between Ireland and the north has problems now, you just try and create an umbilical cord joining us to the loving UK. It would be an utter clusterfuck of a warzone.

I mean aside from the idea being loving stupid in the first place

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Serious question, what's up with the bridge? Is there some kind of legal loop hole in the magna carta that makes everything reachable by ox legally part of the crown or something?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

GABA ghoul posted:

Serious question, what's up with the bridge? Is there some kind of legal loop hole in the magna carta that makes everything reachable by ox legally part of the crown or something?

Boris likes bridges. He spent a lot of money on a stupid bridge that never got built when he was mayor of london as well.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

prefect posted:

I was listening to a podcast the other day, and they quoted somebody who said "British people eat like the Germans are still flying overhead". I thought that was a pretty good line -- they really get off on the WWII flashbacks.

(I am not saying the US is any better, so settle down, you eggs and beans. :wotwot:)

some of us can go days without thinking about world war 2, but yes, it's very much the go-to reminiscence for the Elds

i think it's because it was the last time people were actually valued by the state as more than just piggie banks or votes. sort of like after the bubonic plague. i have not put any thought into this

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

Dravs posted:

I will not be imagining that nightmare tyvm

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

AnoHito posted:

I tried some napkin math there.
The irish sea is 160m deep around that area, and that area marked on the map is roughly 742km squared.

Something like a kerbillion pyramids worth of earth.

And then again, you are loving ruining Loch Neagh. But on the bright side, my home town may have a canal beside it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

When you're definitely not resentful of Irish independence