Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Chocolate Bunny
Jan 13, 2019

QuickbreathFinisher posted:

Poor Bernadetta :smith: I'm going to recruit her and Marianne on all my future runs, both have been destroying stuff for late game GD. I just want the sad meek gals to be confident :(

also I just killed Edelgard but I haven't seen Annette yet and didn't recruit her. I gather from other people's posts on BE and BL that Marianne just uhhh doesn't show up if she's not recruited in Part One - is this the same deal or have I just not gotten to her yet? Seems like the BL faction is completely shattered since Dedue died. Also sidenote, Is there any way to keep him alive in that last battle? I kind of wasted time trying to open chests and clear the baddies while he got ganged up on by mages. I'm assuming if he gets to Edelgard first she just slaughters him.

I don't think Annette shows up in GD if you don't recruit her? She has no reason to fight your group at all, so that makes sense at least.

Yeah you can keep Dedue alive, I just sent some people to go kill the mages so they couldn't kill him then I killed Edelgard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

also I just killed Edelgard but I haven't seen Annette yet and didn't recruit her. I gather from other people's posts on BE and BL that Marianne just uhhh doesn't show up if she's not recruited in Part One - is this the same deal or have I just not gotten to her yet? Seems like the BL faction is completely shattered since Dedue died. Also sidenote, Is there any way to keep him alive in that last battle? I kind of wasted time trying to open chests and clear the baddies while he got ganged up on by mages. I'm assuming if he gets to Edelgard first she just slaughters him.
He can live, just requires you to rush up there to take out the mages for him. Though surprisingly enough he doesn't actually beeline to Edelgard, once everyone else in the throne room is dead he starts going to beat up anyone else alive on the map.]

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Rand Brittain posted:

If you don't recruit Marianne she most likely commits suicide.

I’m still kinda in disbelief that IS actually went there.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Poor Bernadetta :smith: I'm going to recruit her and Marianne on all my future runs, both have been destroying stuff for late game GD. I just want the sad meek gals to be confident :(

Dedue didn't even show up for me because I warpskipped the map and cleared it on turn 2

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Araxxor posted:

The problem with that theory was that the line got rerecorded. Hard for something like that to be accidental.

Still entirely possible. Voice actors record lines long into production. It is why cut data so often contains clips for stuff that never happened.

Not saying it is a sure thing, just saying I've seen it before.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

The line was likely intentional, it's mentioned in the patch notes, the patch notes mention "Some text has been revised" and, so far as we know right now, it's the only line revised.
https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/46816/~/how-to-update-fire-emblem%3A-three-houses

also

quote:

A confirmation message is now displayed when you abandon an item during battle.
that's nice, for all the people accidentally dropping items when you meant to send to convoy

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

cheetah7071 posted:

Dedue didn't even show up for me because I warpskipped the map and cleared it on turn 2

yeah as relatively easy as golden deer's lategame was for me compared to blue lions, it still definitely did things to pressure me into warpskipping or strideskipping so i missed out on quite a bit my first go-around

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Has anyone figured out how other characters level up in the background? Like, their stats/skills if you recruit a dude in Chap 3 vs Chap 9

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

ok now patch in more gay

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Marianne also has basically no connection to the war if she isn't recruited and doesn't want to be out and about anyway.

You could easily interpret her not showing up post time-skip that way, but it's also possible she just hid in a church somewhere.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Has anyone figured out how other characters level up in the background? Like, their stats/skills if you recruit a dude in Chap 3 vs Chap 9

ROFL Octopus posted:

Also, it’s been discovered how autoleveling for recruitable characters in the monastery works.

The tl;dr version:

AnonymousTrollLloyd posted:

In case you want to skip story time, here's the formula:

Stat = Base + Class Mod + (2 * (Chapter - 1) * (Character Growths + Enemy Class Growths))
Apply the formula to each stat individually. Round up from .5 and up, round down from anything lower.

Stats are re-calculated each chapter, as if the character had levelled all the way from 1 in the enemy variant of their current class. Class bases are not a factor.

Every class has an enemy variant with increased growth rates. The Class Growths used for the Monastery are the Enemy class growths, rather than the Playable class growths.

Notably enemy Pegasus Knights are considered a unique Advanced class so Ingrid in particular benefits a lot from this. Also enemy Cavaliers don’t have a negative speed growth.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Essentially letting students level in the monastery leads to higher stats on average, but they stick to learning their default proficiencies and can’t master classes.

A monastery Ingrid would be statistically superior, but would lack Death Blow and would level Sword and Lance proficiencies instead of the Axe and Flying most would want on her.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah the proficiency stuff is killer since it can mean they're pretty stuck unable to get to most Advanced or Master level classes unless their defaults have them levelling that way. And most student's default focuses are really, really bad

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Hellioning posted:

You could easily interpret her not showing up post time-skip that way, but it's also possible she just hid in a church somewhere.

I assumed (even though you can only access it yourself during Part 2) she attempts to complete her own Paralogue by herself during the skip if you don't recruit her and that doesn't go well once the wolves start moving in on that map.

How hard does that map get on the new difficulty anyway?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Junpei Hyde posted:

ok now patch in more gay

it would be good if they patched in the gay stuff that the tl removed, yes

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Junpei Hyde posted:

ok now patch in more gay

gatekeeper romance let's go

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Endorph posted:

breaking news: nintendo announces plans to patch out the m/m linhardt S-support
"whoops, we missed one, sorry about that. Linhardt is now properly heterosexual." - some exec at nintendo, probably

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Zore posted:

Yeah the proficiency stuff is killer since it can mean they're pretty stuck unable to get to most Advanced or Master level classes unless their defaults have them levelling that way. And most student's default focuses are really, really bad

Even if someone’s proficiencies line up with what you want them to be, I don’t think anyone besides the Lords have Authority as a default focus, so recruiting everyone ASAP would be beneficial in every case, yeah.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Endorph posted:

ok but they should also let me gay marry shamir

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Blaziken386 posted:

breaking news: nintendo announces plans to patch out the m/m linhardt S-support
"whoops, we missed one, sorry about that. Linhardt is now properly heterosexual." - some exec at nintendo, probably

every gay support now ends with Ingrid walking on screen and going "they're just friends."

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

ROFL Octopus posted:

Even if someone’s proficiencies line up with what you want them to be, I don’t think anyone besides the Lords have Authority as a default focus, so recruiting everyone ASAP would be beneficial in every case, yeah.

I believe Lysithea does, as well as Hubert. (though obviously that's not relevant)

It's potentially worthwhile to hold off on recruiting in chapter 5 specifically. The student will get a significant stat bump from hitting intermediate classes next month (and save you a seal I guess), and you're only losing out on a little bit of skill training. Otherwise, yeah, I wouldn't bother.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Recruiting still seems random. B support and C axe isn’t enough for Hilda?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Cattail Prophet posted:

I believe Lysithea does, as well as Hubert. (though obviously that's not relevant)

It's potentially worthwhile to hold off on recruiting in chapter 5 specifically. The student will get a significant stat bump from hitting intermediate classes next month (and save you a seal I guess), and you're only losing out on a little bit of skill training. Otherwise, yeah, I wouldn't bother.

annette too i believe

though lysithea is someone you'll want a shitload of faith lessons for in that case, because warp and to make her a bishop and eventually gremory

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Kiranamos posted:

Read this handy-dandy page and suddenly it isn't random at all! https://serenesforest.net/three-houses/characters/recruitment/

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Kiranamos posted:

Do you have less than 12 Charm somehow? Because at B support Hilda just needs D Axes and 12 Charm

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Is there a list of what each characters default skill trainings are

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Endorph posted:

Do you have any links or comparisons discussing this? I haven't heard anything about the localization removing gay stuff, so I'm curious.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Ragnar Homsar posted:

Do you have any links or comparisons discussing this? I haven't heard anything about the localization removing gay stuff, so I'm curious.

The big examples I remember hearing earlier was that Shamir/Catherine A Rank, in addition the marriage mention there, went into more details about how gay marriage was more common in Dagda. Felix/Sylvain I think was written to be more explicitly romantic in how they talk about each other?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Basically, the romance stuff in general is really subdued. A lot of people were kinda confused by Edelgard's S support because it was so weirdly friendzoney, even as M!Byleth.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Tae posted:

Basically, the romance stuff in general is really subdued. A lot of people were kinda confused by Edelgard's S support because it was so weirdly friendzoney, even as M!Byleth.

Iiiiii super do not read her telling us she wants us by our side, that she needs us to choose her again, then giving her the ring and calling her "El" , blushing and saying it means more to her than anything, and that she feared her feelings would be unrequited and we're all she ever needed as "friendzoney"

Like she does throw in a "dearest friend" for a single line on accepting the ring but even that still reads pretty loaded considering everything else she's saying both before and after. It's a pretty romantic support!

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
many of the S ranks don't explicitly say "let's get married" but they do involve exchange of rings and profession of love so

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I like how in BL you find out more about Edelgard's past than you do in her own route

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Cyril is an irritating character, but I did feel bad for him after getting his note in the advice box that was just a drawing of a broken vase. Why does the school allow this servant-child to remain illiterate.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

ajkalan posted:

Cyril is an irritating character, but I did feel bad for him after getting his note in the advice box that was just a drawing of a broken vase. Why does the school allow this servant-child to remain illiterate.

Rhea assumes he will eventually ask someone to teach him how to read but he never does.

So we end up with an NPC asking us to deliver a love letter to someone who cannot read said letter.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

rannum posted:

Iiiiii super do not read her telling us she wants us by our side, that she needs us to choose her again, then giving her the ring and calling her "El" , blushing and saying it means more to her than anything, and that she feared her feelings would be unrequited and we're all she ever needed as "friendzoney"

Like she does throw in a "dearest friend" for a single line on accepting the ring but even that still reads pretty loaded considering everything else she's saying both before and after. It's a pretty romantic support!

Edelgard is so aggressively crushing on Byleth even outside of support conversations on her route, only the most blissfully oblivious could interpret the S-rank as anything but romantic.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
She literally spends five years doing nothing but moping, going by the other routes.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Rhea assumes he will eventually ask someone to teach him how to read but he never does.

So we end up with an NPC asking us to deliver a love letter to someone who cannot read said letter.

Is Lysithea the only support who teaches him how to read?

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

ajkalan posted:

Cyril has the most to gain in terms of character development after the time skip. Too bad he squandered it all.

His voice actor does a great job at least.

Chocolate Bunny
Jan 13, 2019
Cyril deserved a lot better than what the writers gave him. His support with Lysithea is probably his best one shame that pairing them means she dies young but at least she was happy until the end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Amppelix posted:

Read this handy-dandy page and suddenly it isn't random at all! https://serenesforest.net/three-houses/characters/recruitment/

But it says it’s random right there :v: