Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

You know what, messages for web is exactly why I switched

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
Pulse works pretty well for texting from almost any platform

It allows for per contact customisation too

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I discovered that the Your Phone app in Windows will still let me text from PC. Messages for web relies on the android SMS app but this doesn't. May still be able to text on messages for web but it wont show recent conversations

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
Any suggestions for an ebook reader app that can connect to a Calibre library? I'm trying to replace Play Books, so something that can 'pin' books to read later would be a great help.

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL
Edit: gently caress wrong thread again kill me

torb main fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Sep 3, 2019

Lker
Oct 26, 2010
I'm sure this has been asked before, but what are the differences between the two factory images for Android Q? The version number is different, but there's no notes or anything else to indicate what the differences could be.

edit - meant to post this in the android thread

Lker fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Sep 4, 2019

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

For the love of God Google, stop trying to push YouTube Kids on me. What use is your data mining if you don't know I don't have kids by now.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

bull3964 posted:

For the love of God Google, stop trying to push YouTube Kids on me. What use is your data mining if you don't know I don't have kids by now.

Same.
I pay for YouTube family and all 6 accounts are childless adults. Come on.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

deong posted:

Same.
I pay for YouTube family and all 6 accounts are childless adults. Come on.

Same with the family, never seen YouTube kids tho.

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I
Is there any way to log into Podcasts on Pocketcasts? I have a few paid podcasts that I can add but it doesn't give me an option to log in and then it won't play. I need to listen to 3 hour wrestling podcasts on my horrible commute every day. :(

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

nerdrum posted:

Is there any way to log into Podcasts on Pocketcasts? I have a few paid podcasts that I can add but it doesn't give me an option to log in and then it won't play. I need to listen to 3 hour wrestling podcasts on my horrible commute every day. :(

Wrestling Observer doesn't work with Pocketcasts or indeed most Podcast Apps. It supports Podcast addict and one other app I can't remember and that's pretty much it.

GigaFuzz
Aug 10, 2009

nerdrum posted:

Have you tried adding it manually with the username and password in the address as per the instructions here: https://support.pocketcasts.com/article/password-protected-podcasts/

That's how I had to do it for my premium podcasts.

Edit: Oh, looks like the procedure has changed a since I added them, but hopefully the above works!

GigaFuzz fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Sep 6, 2019

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

GigaFuzz posted:

Have you tried adding it manually with the username and password in the address as per the instructions here: https://support.pocketcasts.com/article/password-protected-podcasts/

That's how I had to do it for my premium podcasts.

Edit: Oh, looks like the procedure has changed a since I added them, but hopefully the above works!

From what I could gather from a quick Google search, Wrestling Observer password protects the individual podcast files rather than the feed like a normal podcast.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
So I've been using AlarmDroid for years and years, with the main features I liked about it being it have a simple option on the main screen to skip the next alarm event and that it had a simple interface that didn't waste screen space with gaudy effects.

But upgrading to Android 10 completely breaks its ability to actually make any sound or vibration when the alarm rings, and the app turns out to have been kicked off the app store a few months ago because Google didn't like how the free version implemented the ad banner. So I have little hope of it ever being fixed, and even if it is I'm not going to rely on scrounging updates manually.

What's a good replacement app that has a quick "skip next alarm" feature?

This is what the interface looked like:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

fishmech posted:

So I've been using AlarmDroid for years and years, with the main features I liked about it being it have a simple option on the main screen to skip the next alarm event and that it had a simple interface that didn't waste screen space with gaudy effects.

But upgrading to Android 10 completely breaks its ability to actually make any sound or vibration when the alarm rings, and the app turns out to have been kicked off the app store a few months ago because Google didn't like how the free version implemented the ad banner. So I have little hope of it ever being fixed, and even if it is I'm not going to rely on scrounging updates manually.

This is what the interface looked like:

AMDroid has that feature which I agree is a must-have.

GigaFuzz
Aug 10, 2009

fishmech posted:

Sleep as Android might be more than you need (it has a bunch of sleep tracking stuff but works great for just alarms as well) but also has this. Next alarm shows up on the app's first screen and you can long press to get the option to skip

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

I use alarm clock xtreme, and it has that on the long-press menu. I like it for its large snooze button and the ability to set up math for dismiss because I have had too many instances of running late for work thanks to "I thought I hit snooze but it was dismiss". Can't speak to how its ads are, as I use blokada on my system to get rid of them.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

LastInLine posted:

I also use AMDroid.
It let's you skip the next alarm via notification shade. It shows the next alarm on both the lock screen and the active display lock screen.
No idea if I had to pay for ad free, but I assume I did.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

spincube posted:

Any suggestions for an ebook reader app that can connect to a Calibre library? I'm trying to replace Play Books, so something that can 'pin' books to read later would be a great help.

Answering my own question, in case it helps anyone: I've found FBReader useful, after setting up COPS to act as a 'feed'.

It's not as neat as Play Books - of course - as rather than simply browsing your entire library and 'pinning' books to read, the idea is FBReader talks to COPS, to then download books from your Calibre library onto your phone. So, no synced progress/bookmarks/notes etc, but it's functional enough.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

LastInLine posted:

Thanks for this, it works perfectly for my needs.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

spincube posted:

FBReader talks to COPS

This is why I only use Moon+ for ebooks now.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Is there a way to make PowerAmp not automatically resume the last song I was playing, or not start up automatically in general, when I plug something into a headphone jack?

My personal vehicle has Bluetooth, which doesn't make PowerAmp automatically launch, but my work car has an AUX jack and when I plug that in PowerAmp automatically starts playing the last song I was listening to. But when I'm driving I generally prefer to do audiobooks or podcasts.

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

You know you're having a bad day when a Cylon ambush would improve it.
Yes, turn off "resume on wired headset" in the headset/Bluetooth settings.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
What's a good alarm clock/timer app? Timely has stopped, uh, alarming so I need to replace that.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
AMdroid

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

MX Player's latest patch notes mention they've got their own 'Coins' now earned by using the app, so uhhh

What's the go-to video player app these days?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I don't know what the fancy kids use but I reccomend VLC on the grounds that it will play literally any movie file you shove into it. Never try to install a loving codec from weird websites again!

Also I poked around a little and MX Player Pro version doesn't mention these coins. I don't know if that's worse or not.

GeneticWeapon
May 13, 2007

ElegantFugue posted:

What's the go-to video player app these days?

VLC has been amazing.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

...My phone just told me to go to bed. That's a new one. :catstare:

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

GeneticWeapon posted:

VLC has been amazing.

This for local/lan media playback, Plex for remote.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Pocket Casts goes freemium

quote:

The iOS app was most recently priced at $5.99 while the Android app was marked at $3.99. Starting today, new users will pay nothing to download the app. In exchange for zeroing out the upfront cost, the company is introducing Pocket Casts Plus, a subscription service costing either 99 cents a month or $10 a year.

Plus will give users access to the macOS, Windows, and web apps, cloud storage hosting, and exclusive apps and themes. Those who spent $9 for the desktop apps will get 3 months years (!) of Plus for free.

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde
They're going to get a ton of blowback for this, their website clearly stated that they would always be a one time purchase with no subscription fees.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

hot date tonight! posted:

They're going to get a ton of blowback for this, their website clearly stated that they would always be a one time purchase with no subscription fees.

Yes but you see they're not adding fees they're just adding a new plus tier above which just happens to have features the old purchase version had like adding your own files.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Seems fine to me. $10/year I'm sure I'll pay out of survey money and that's only if you want the web player, all other features are free.

I do question their logic on the change as a paid app "not being in the spirit of public radio" when they're owned by WBEZ, WNYC, and This American Life and TAL charges $6 for their terrible app.

MikeJF posted:

Yes but you see they're not adding fees they're just adding a new plus tier above which just happens to have features the old purchase version had like adding your own files.

The old version did not offer cloud storage for arbitrary files.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Sep 18, 2019

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

YggiDee posted:

I don't know what the fancy kids use but I reccomend VLC on the grounds that it will play literally any movie file you shove into it. Never try to install a loving codec from weird websites again!

Also I poked around a little and MX Player Pro version doesn't mention these coins. I don't know if that's worse or not.

Will VLC stream videos from a network share? That's most of what I use MX Player for.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Yes.

I don't know if you can link VLC to your share and open through the app, but I browse for videos in Solid Explorer and when I play them, they open in VLC.

Edit: there is a button for "local network" in the VLC menu.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

LastInLine posted:

The old version did not offer cloud storage for arbitrary files.

No but they recently took out custom folders and this is now the only way to achieve that function.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Why does Android 10 suck so much rear end

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Johnny Truant posted:

Why does Android 10 suck so much rear end

Because Google no longer gives any fucks about being good. They just want to be iOS, but without an iMessages clone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Kheldarn posted:

Because Google no longer gives any fucks about being good. They just want to be iOS, but without an iMessages clone.

:negative:

It's impressive how goddamn regressive this OS seems to be

Looks like tonight I'm switching back to 9, gently caress this trash