Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

https://techcrunch.com/2016/12/26/oculus-engineer-dov-katz-arrested-in-sting-after-allegedly-soliciting-sex-from-a-15-year-old-girl/

Looks like he has a new startup now, though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

NTRabbit posted:

https://www.fig.co/campaigns/homeworld3

Not that this should need crowdfunding, but still :swoon:

It doesn't need crowdfunding:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

DoctorTristan posted:

lol

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

DoctorTristan posted:

I wonder how much of that Randy Pitchford's going to embezzle.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Yeah I know, and I'll be waiting for retail and seeing if it turns out any good first, but I'm still excited for an actual proper RTS rather than another it's really a MOBA designed by venture capitalists thing

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Aug 31, 2019

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
How about some long shots with nifty ideas, hopes against sense and reason given at least one of these is just out there all hopeful like it is the earliest of KS days?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/skaggsoft/golod-a-dark-fantasy-dungeon-crawler/description 2 Brothers making a dungeon crawler, part traditional and part parting ways with just that.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/picklefeetgames/the-wind-and-wilting-blossom/description

Ancient Japan FTL'ish with a demo slice at that~

Still insane about Soule though---I suppose now the world's only hope for a True MIDI Successor rests (partially) in the hands of the Imitone guy who is at least still semi-steadily delivering on his own KS from years on back...

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

RagnarokZ posted:

I wonder how much of that Randy Pitchford's going to embezzle.

The majority of the crowdfunded money.
And then the majority of the money they get for becoming Epic exclusive. (provided Epic is still buying exclusives in the same manner in 2022, which seems doubtful.)

Or maybe Gearbox is pulling a Borderlands 2, and the crowdfunded money for Homeworld 3 gets redirected into Borderlands 3 DLC.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

how did sega not take them to the cleaners?

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Foglet posted:

Alec Holowka too, seemingly (thread-appropriate since Night in the Woods was Kickstartered)
:nws:
https://twitter.com/unburntwitch/status/1166212005629325313
:nws:

Follow-up on this:

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/08/31/night-in-the-woods-developer-accused-of-sexual-assault-dies

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

What the gently caress

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

“SNAFU” exists for a reason.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
What a shame

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

That Strength of the Sword guy isn't doing well, he just posted a meltdown after a marketing firm offered to buy his email list.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I can't read that update but I read the last public one and it's a shame, it seems like the game itself is pretty much as promisedso it sucks that all the over-commitment at the beginning took such a toll on them: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1145990096/strength-of-the-sword-ultimate/posts/2604388

EDIT: and yeah, it doubly sucks that the update I linked to immediately attracted vultures

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Promising a WiiU and Vita port must have made sense back in 2015...

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Not cancelling them years ago doesn't make sense, however - yeah, they wanted to commit to what they promised, good for them, but if they'd killed them ages ago they could have saved their sanity and probably not lost a lot of goodwill.

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

You when you read my posts:
Sorry to break the current conversation, but is anyone else playing the Blasphemous beta? It's pretty good, visually amazing, but I think I'm missing something because I can't work out how where to find the double-jump thing for the spots with embers. Again though, the game's beautiful!
I guess inching towards the main conversation, none of these guys did anything horrible, right?

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

HerniaFlange posted:

Sorry to break the current conversation, but is anyone else playing the Blasphemous beta? It's pretty good, visually amazing, but I think I'm missing something because I can't work out how where to find the double-jump thing for the spots with embers. Again though, the game's beautiful!

I have seen a few folks streaming the backer beta for Blasphemous and it seems you can find an item towards the end that can reveal a bunch of hidden platforms. Maybe that's what you need.

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

You when you read my posts:

wielder posted:

I have seen a few folks streaming the backer beta for Blasphemous and it seems you can find an item towards the end that can reveal a bunch of hidden platforms. Maybe that's what you need.

That's probably what it is, there's little swirls of embers you can see in spots that would be where you'd put platforms to reach the out of reach areas above them. Guess I need to figure out where I'm missing that piece. Thanks!

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Someone posted this in the Baldur's Gate 3 thread.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tacticaladventures/solasta-crown-of-the-magister

It has a demo on Steam, which I just played through. Demo is short and has some rough edges, but it shows a lot of promise.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
https://twitter.com/PCGamesN/status/1169665282115325957

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ysnet/shenmue-3/posts/2602855

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

StrixNebulosa posted:

Kingdom Come Deliverance. It's made by a gamergate supporter.

Kinda late but it's a bit more than that. The devs are essentially pushing the whole "Europe was a peaceful monoethnic culture before ISLAM destroyed BYZANTIUM and also non-lilly-whites didn't exist" white nationalist narrative poo poo under the guise of "historical realism."

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

C.M. Kruger posted:

Kinda late but it's a bit more than that. The devs are essentially pushing the whole "Europe was a peaceful monoethnic culture before ISLAM destroyed BYZANTIUM and also non-lilly-whites didn't exist" white nationalist narrative poo poo under the guise of "historical realism."
and very much not delivering on the historical accuracy in many other locations, like the fact that the game is set about six months before a civil war or something in the country and there's no signs of tension about that

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
The clothes are wrong, the armor is wrong, the fighting styles are wrong, the local politics are wrong, the local flora and fauna is wrong - but it's ok, historical realism means we can't have black people.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Sep 9, 2019

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

C.M. Kruger posted:

And it's especially hilarious because the Bohemian region was a god drat trading hub, so people from all over the world routinely came there and that was one of the notable locations in medieval Europe that were quite diverse.

So A++ gamergate dudes.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Like they put tons of effort into making sure their armor system was at least layered realistically (but still had errors in terms of what armor was around) and had the player character just get trounced by actual soldiers for most of the game, then manage to gently caress up things like "this ethnic group of people are actually marauders and look like turks" when they had mostly integrated and become overt Christians by the 1400s, not to mention apparently had blue eyes and blonde hair.

But that wouldn't make them good antagonists because, uuuuh...

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

So! I just realized that Alexis Kennedy, abuser, was going to launch his kickstarter for the Cultist Sim sequel - Book of Hours - and it was supposed to launch on the 3rd. And now it's nowhere in sight. I wonder what happened, huh.

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp
You only get 2 weeks to say you want a refund? Wow. What a service.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Welcome to the wild ambitions of Several Years Ago anew on KS, but with a demo even, for something folks have long hoped for---whose best case hope at this point is getting poached by Firaxis or some such outside of some stupidly rich folks throwing down.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/terranshield/terran-shield-edge-of-the-abyss/description

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Hey guys, we're a rando romanian studio and we're going to make an full 3D, destructible environment, above and below water X-Com from scratch. We're doing it for.....90k. This is exactly the kind of poo poo Kickstarter should bring the hammer down on.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

350 bucks after 7 days means people aren't taking the bait, at least.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

DatonKallandor posted:

Hey guys, we're a rando romanian studio and we're going to make an full 3D, destructible environment, above and below water X-Com from scratch. We're doing it for.....90k. This is exactly the kind of poo poo Kickstarter should bring the hammer down on.

this was the first time i saw a project that i thought was reasonable, but that they would never reach their goal in a billion years, because KS detected my region and added two zeros on to account for denomination

long story short i saw 10,000,000 but didn't look at the dollar sign hard enough

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Even they say 100k isn't enough in the pitch. Which of course they bury all the way at the bottom in the risks and challenges section.

Terran Shield posted:

Following the completion of the campaign, a healthy budget for Terran Shield would be anything over $700,000. This is necessary in order to deliver the game in accordance with today’s standards and expectations for both visual appearance and gameplay. The campaign budget shall be supplemented by investor funds and funds received during the preorder campaign. Even if we don’t achieve our full budget target, we won’t deliver the final product until it is well-balanced and fun to play. We would rather have fewer environments and assets than provide an unfinished strategy game.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Actually I am quite confused why this project is so unsuccessful, I mean I can see suggestions that it might not be that good a game, but I'd have thought the "firaxis dumbed things down!" crowd would lap it up. Is it just the art is kinda clumsy? Or is Xenonauts and Phoenix Point enough for those people?

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

It looks like they've done no advertising and/or community engagement no posts on reddit, they have a twitter account started in 2018 with 12 followers and their name is garbage and gets mixed up with Starcraft results.
Here is them getting eviscerated on the Steam forums

"Steam Guy posted:

I think by now most people are wary of crowdfunding. It never works. Looking at the "about us" page I see a bunch of concept artists but only one programmer with a genuine track record in the games industry. That doesn't sound good. Judging by this forum thread from only a year ago the programmer doesn't appear to have very good time management skills:
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=84&t=73936&p=662514

I've seen this happen before. The studio heads are enthusiastic but inexperienced. They assume that making a game is like running a petrol station or building a shed. It's not. It's like performing surgery; you can't just throw people at the problem, you need a core of highly-trained professionals plus excellent management and a lot of trained support people.

Bear in mind that the original UFO: Enemy Unknown was written in the 16-bit era with a team of six - but they were extremely experienced developers who were perfecting a game engine that had been in development for a decade, and even then the game's development was long and awkward.

Now it's 2018 and your team has one programmer, who has other commitments. The audience demands much more than they did in 1994. Furthermore the market for turn-based strategy games is very small. On the positive side the team appear to be actual people and it's not obviously a scam, but this game isn't going to ship in a million years at this rate.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Sep 10, 2019

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Fangz posted:

Actually I am quite confused why this project is so unsuccessful, I mean I can see suggestions that it might not be that good a game, but I'd have thought the "firaxis dumbed things down!" crowd would lap it up. Is it just the art is kinda clumsy? Or is Xenonauts and Phoenix Point enough for those people?
We're also extremely skeptical. :v: While there's demand for a TFTD-like and Terran Shield has been around for a year so they're not just pulling the game out of their rear end, it also just looks perfectly average. We already got dozens of perfectly average Xcom-likes, we can wait until it's done.
For comparison, Xenonauts was in development for years before running a Kickstarter and they still only made $100k. The sequel, now with a much bigger fanbase and proven track record, barely made double. That is not a crowd that will drop their wallets day one, unless you got Gollop star power.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Welcome to the wild ambitions of Several Years Ago anew on KS, but with a demo even, for something folks have long hoped for---whose best case hope at this point is getting poached by Firaxis or some such outside of some stupidly rich folks throwing down.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/terranshield/terran-shield-edge-of-the-abyss/description

These guys reached out to me because they knew I had a successful Kickstarter and asked for my advice. Believe me, I have told them several times NOT to launch until they put together something more competent. Last time we had spoken they said they'd get back to me and ask for feedback before launching. So they did, but it was less than 24 hrs before going live. I at least talked them out of a 3.5 minute text and diving through abstract seascapes introduction running at 15 fps.

In case you're wondering about the terrible framerate, it's because it's not a build, they are showing you the game in the Unreal preview window most of the time.

Ultimately, you can't fight this kind of Dunning-Kruger, and the best thing is probably to fail miserably and realize Kickstarter (and life) doesn't work that way.

I feel bad for them, especially since I'm doing my best to support our meager indie scene any way I can, but I've learned some game design lessons the hard way recently from player feedback and I'm actually grateful for them, so maybe it's not all bad and they realize what they are doing wrong. I hope. I was reluctant to mention them because I don't want to come across as a sufferer of survivorship bias. I'll say this - their heart is definitely in the right place. I don't know much about the gameplay because I didn't have the time to check out the demo, maybe with better assets and some major technical fixes it could amount to some good stuff.

Please please please don't launch any kind of crowdfunding campaign without making at least a minimal effort at social media and community building, at least six months in advance. Please.

Mr Underhill fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Sep 10, 2019

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

SupSuper posted:

We're also extremely skeptical. :v: While there's demand for a TFTD-like and Terran Shield has been around for a year so they're not just pulling the game out of their rear end, it also just looks perfectly average. We already got dozens of perfectly average Xcom-likes, we can wait until it's done.
For comparison, Xenonauts was in development for years before running a Kickstarter and they still only made $100k. The sequel, now with a much bigger fanbase and proven track record, barely made double. That is not a crowd that will drop their wallets day one, unless you got Gollop star power.

Also it's extremely loving hard to make this genre of game work. You can count the good ones on the fingers of one hand. It took Firaxis six years to make XCOM, the first three of which they spent trying to work out what the tactical game was actually going to look like. There have been endless Jagged Alliance reboots that don't hit the mark. Xenonauts came out okay but really only because it stuck to being a tight remake of XCOM with some things that were known to work from Jagged Alliance thrown in.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

This is going to save me a lot of money.

https://twitter.com/taylordotbiz/status/1172257828473573377

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
poo poo. I liked kickstarting stuff. Will be interesting to see if this causes any ruction among the creators who have previous / ongoing projects.