Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Kryptonite just reminded them that Krypton was gone and they get really sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Imagined posted:

I'm sorry, but I thought that was dumb as poo poo in the context of Pa Kent going so far as to force Clark to let him die to protect his secret. I hated that. It was so antithetical to what Superman represents to me. In the original story Pa Kent has a heart attack and this teaches Superman that even he can't save everyone or fix everything. What does he learn from the Man of Steel death? The Superman I grew up with would never protect himself by letting someone he loved die, no matter what they told him.

This is what happens when the person making the movie is a libertarian and is fundamentally incapable to understanding a character whose core being is just how kind and decent he is.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Not only does he murder his own father, he then goes on to destroy metropolis rather than come to a peaceful compromise with general Zod. And this is a hero?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The whole point of Pa Kent is that he cares about Clark first and foremost, and knows that if the world finds out about his powers he's never going to be able to live a normal life again, people are going to be distrustful, jealous and afraid- as they demonstrably are. His own life is a small price to pay to make sure his son still has his freedom and privacy. Superman as an alternate identity is a compromise that Clark figures out as a result, knowing that he needs to give himself room to be a normal person as well as be a world-saving godlike alien, to have control over his life so he doesn't end up going crazy and has some time to himself. (They call it the Fortress of Solitude for a reason!)

One-Punch Man is a parody of superhero and shonen stories which also explores the ideas of the wildly varying power scales of superheroes; Saitama is compared and contrasted with characters like Mumen Rider, Tornado and King, who have different story beats and in-universe reputations and issues with the nature of their heroic feats played for comedy.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Krispy Wafer posted:

Not only is Thanos super strong, but even his minions can easily take on 2 Avengers each. Thanos wasn’t even on Earth when they beat the poo poo out of Spider-Man, Ironman, and Dr Strange and his sidekick.

At some point you just have to accept they’re operating on a level the Avengers can’t match.

I agree - but the writers don't believe this is the case, which is why every fight is paced and framed as if the heroes actually have a chance.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I liked comic book Hulk with no power ceiling, just keeps getting madder and stronger until you're forced to just throw him into space.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
This has probably been mentioned in this thread but in Jurassic Park, one of my favorite movies, they’re driving up to the gates and Ian Malcolm goes “what have they got in there, King Kong?”

Except earlier in the movie they’d literally landed near and drove jeeps through herds of actual loving dinosaurs in the helicopter. He also ABSOLUTELY knows he’s here to see a dinosaur theme park by this point. It drives me crazy every time and is one of the very few dumb as hell parts of that movie.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The whole point of Pa Kent is that he cares about Clark first and foremost, and knows that if the world finds out about his powers he's never going to be able to live a normal life again, people are going to be distrustful, jealous and afraid- as they demonstrably are. His own life is a small price to pay to make sure his son still has his freedom and privacy. Superman as an alternate identity is a compromise that Clark figures out as a result, knowing that he needs to give himself room to be a normal person as well as be a world-saving godlike alien, to have control over his life so he doesn't end up going crazy and has some time to himself. (They call it the Fortress of Solitude for a reason!)

And the complaint of "Superman wouldn't let someone he cares about die" doesn't hold water because he's not Superman yet. His father's death is something that he uses to become Superman, because he realizes his father was wrong about the world not being ready. It was Clark who wasn't ready to be what he needed to be in that moment, and now that he is ready he's not gonna let anything like that happen ever again.

Captain Monkey posted:

This has probably been mentioned in this thread but in Jurassic Park, one of my favorite movies, they’re driving up to the gates and Ian Malcolm goes “what have they got in there, King Kong?”

Except earlier in the movie they’d literally landed near and drove jeeps through herds of actual loving dinosaurs in the helicopter. He also ABSOLUTELY knows he’s here to see a dinosaur theme park by this point. It drives me crazy every time and is one of the very few dumb as hell parts of that movie.

I get what you're saying but that's just a reference to the huge gates in King Kong, Malcom's just making a little joke there nbd.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
King Kong in every incarnation lived on an island full of dinosaurs though and is stronger than all of them. It's actually very fitting, especially since the theme that attempting to keep him in captivity is doomed to failure.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Captain Monkey posted:

Wasn't he joking around with the others in the car?

Handmaid's Tale: so the sequel to the book came out and I have to say, it is pretty lovely. Despite the fact the book, and the TV show, makes it clear it's the process the Commanders and all want rather than the end result**, it makes NO loving sense to let teenage girls decide they don't want to get married and instead will become Aunts. Now, I could see that if they were infertile, but literally letting teenage girls, who have no control over their body, decide that, is insane. Then again the book takes place 15 years after the first one so you'd think they would have worked out the kinks that lead to girls having 'the fear of the penis.' Which is literally something said in the book. It also glosses over everything pretty fast and there is no real characterization beyond spoiled teenager and evil old dude.

And process aside, it seems REALLY funny that an old Commander can have eight wives, all of them teenage brides who he kills off when he gets bored of them, and the Aunts, well aware of this and with the power to stop it, do gently caress all.

**the process being the entire handmaid premise which doesn't exactly lead to more kids. If you want more kids safely born, you don't, you know, have ritualized rape.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
My favorite part of Man of Steel is when Superman starts smacking his mother around while that Three Doors Down song plays.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I don't have a problem with Thanos being this near invincible badass, but if we accept that premise then we accept that Thanos must be lazy as gently caress. Because up to the 'fine I'll do it myself' he's just delegating things (poorly). He can chump anyone he comes across, and he's looking for these space rocks that will make him truly invincible, yet he sits his rear end in his flying chair while his flunkies gently caress up and betray him along the way.

It's like the shittiest pizza delivery service. They keep calling you telling you they were trying to bring your pizza but a bunch of toddlers beat them up and took your food. Or the delivery guy quit and ate all of it. Could you imagine dealing with that bullshit five, six times before you got so hungry you drove to the place to get it yourself?

Plus, we don't see him really DOING anything when he's not getting them himself. His character is written as having his single minded drive to reach the goal - yet for someone so obsessed with it and having no social life he spends a lot of time just throneing around.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

What really bothers me about Man of steel is that a highway overpass is basically the most dangerous place you can be in a tornado

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Does Thanos eat people? He should eat people. That would make him scary.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Dude. Three words.

Giant. Mechanical. Spider.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Panfilo posted:

I don't have a problem with Thanos being this near invincible badass, but if we accept that premise then we accept that Thanos must be lazy as gently caress. Because up to the 'fine I'll do it myself' he's just delegating things (poorly). He can chump anyone he comes across, and he's looking for these space rocks that will make him truly invincible, yet he sits his rear end in his flying chair while his flunkies gently caress up and betray him along the way.

It's like the shittiest pizza delivery service. They keep calling you telling you they were trying to bring your pizza but a bunch of toddlers beat them up and took your food. Or the delivery guy quit and ate all of it. Could you imagine dealing with that bullshit five, six times before you got so hungry you drove to the place to get it yourself?

Plus, we don't see him really DOING anything when he's not getting them himself. His character is written as having his single minded drive to reach the goal - yet for someone so obsessed with it and having no social life he spends a lot of time just throneing around.

He's really not all-powerful or invincible without the stones(and Thor showed he's not invincible even with them), so he's biding his time and using his various minions to try to obtain the stones without having to expose himself to the wrong kind of attention.

I think we can assume that he doesn't just literally sit around on his throne all day every day, it's not like we saw all that much of him doing that, it was just a few quick scenes. But he wasn't directly going after the stones because that was a specific strategy he was going for. And it turns out he was right; when he took the direct route of just rolling up on the Nova Corps. with his fleet and destroying it, then heading to Earth and confronting the Avengers, it led to this massive team-up of various threats that individually he could've handled but in the end they were able to take him out.

Ideally he was trying to just have the stones taken from their various hiding places by people who would deliver them to him, and he'd be able to just Snap without anyone even being aware of what happened.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Tunicate posted:

What really bothers me about Man of steel is that a highway overpass is basically the most dangerous place you can be in a tornado

Is your irritation that it doesn't show things going bad for the people under the overpass or that people flocked there in the first place? Because people have been trained for decades now to seek shelter under overpasses (I certainly was--it is a popular myth) so I can understand why they would. In the former case, I take it the filmmakers believed the idea too.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Dude. Three words.

Giant. Mechanical. Spider.

That just wouldn't be fair to other movies. We can't have one movie win oscars in every single category, including the new category i've been lobbying for them to add, "best giant mechanical spider".

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

I think we can assume that he doesn't just literally sit around on his throne all day every day, it's not like we saw all that much of him doing that, it was just a few quick scenes. But he wasn't directly going after the stones because that was a specific strategy he was going for. And it turns out he was right; when he took the direct route of just rolling up on the Nova Corps. with his fleet and destroying it, then heading to Earth and confronting the Avengers, it led to this massive team-up of various threats that individually he could've handled but in the end they were able to take him out.

Well, except that they weren't able to take him out. He won the fight, got the gauntlet, and only lost because someone realized they didn't need the gauntlet, just the stones. It was pure luck that the universe wasn't destroyed.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Morpheus posted:

Well, except that they weren't able to take him out. He won the fight, got the gauntlet, and only lost because someone realized they didn't need the gauntlet, just the stones. It was pure luck that the universe wasn't destroyed.

No, he lost. He drew attention to what he was doing by performing the Snap in full view of the Avengers, and then the survivors put together a plan to reverse what he'd done. And they did it successfully.

Had he simply obtained the stones without anyone being aware of it, nobody would've even had the opportunity to go back in time and reverse anything because they wouldn't even know what happened. That was his initial plan, but he got impatient.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Complaining that our heroes outsmarted the main villain instead of just beating him to death is strange even for this thread.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

JT Smiley posted:

Complaining that our heroes outsmarted the main villain instead of just beating him to death is strange even for this thread.

Not the complaint here. Though it also doesn't feel like they outsmarted him, either - except for Stark, who happened to put a backup plan into the glove that no one knew about.

Like, it definitely felt like everyone was facing their end, not that they were thinking 'our plan has come together'. Hell, Thanos wasn't even supposed to be there, he was only there because of the fuckup with the robot wifi or whatever. He outsmarted them in the end, and only Stark's plan (that again, had no purpose in the planning phase as Thanos was supposed to be dead) saved them.

Basebf555 posted:

No, he lost. He drew attention to what he was doing by performing the Snap in full view of the Avengers, and then the survivors put together a plan to reverse what he'd done. And they did it successfully.

And nearly doomed the entire universe, rather than just half, in the process.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Morpheus posted:

Doesn't matter what nearly happened, Thanos lost. He did not achieve his goals. The complaint was that if he's so all-powerful he should've been taking a more direct hand in things from the start, but in the end that's what led to his defeat.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Yea. He was laying low because there were still some pretty heavy hitters around before. Odin for one.

Once he went poof, grimace got off the chair and decided if the proxies like Ronan weren't gonna be able to do it, gently caress it, he'd do it himself.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I’m planning on seeing It Chapter 2 this weekend, and it’s 2 hours 50 minutes long, just a little shorter than the 3-hour and 15 minute 80s miniseries :stare:

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Hasn't gotten great reviews either.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Dr Christmas posted:

I’m planning on seeing It Chapter 2 this weekend, and it’s 2 hours 50 minutes long, just a little shorter than the 3-hour and 15 minute 80s miniseries :stare:

I mean, considering the book is 1400 pages long making it in to two long movies isn't as irrational as making 3 rear end aching movies out of the hobbit.
Which you can read in a couple of nights or just watch the Rankin/Bass cartoon @ about 90 minutes.

I've also heard coworkers complain Once Upon a Time in Hollywood was too long and I really liked it. I forget which scene I decided to unleash the Dew during but it kept my attention.

Really just upset about the dumb poo poo they added to the hobbit, and the stuff they can't cram into IT.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Morpheus posted:

Not the complaint here. Though it also doesn't feel like they outsmarted him, either - except for Stark, who happened to put a backup plan into the glove that no one knew about.

Like, it definitely felt like everyone was facing their end, not that they were thinking 'our plan has come together'. Hell, Thanos wasn't even supposed to be there, he was only there because of the fuckup with the robot wifi or whatever. He outsmarted them in the end, and only Stark's plan (that again, had no purpose in the planning phase as Thanos was supposed to be dead) saved them.

There was no plan, Stark just used the nanotech in his suit to retrieve the stones from the gauntlet and move them to his own once he was able to come into contact with it.

Felonious_Monk
Oct 26, 2008

Dr Christmas posted:

It really doesn't drag that much, although I will say I was relieved it was winding down when it did. When Bill goes to the Neibolt house and everyone follows him, I was glad we wouldn't have to deal with more exposition before the big clown-punch.

Also quick ending thought: It irritated me that the way the Losers won was essentially by bullying IT, just like they spent their whole childhoods being bullied. In the book, I believe it's Richie doing his silly voices, and it reminds them all of the pure joys of being a kid, antithetical to the fear IT wants them to feel. That being replaced by "bound by the limitations of the form" which somehow translates to "call it a clown until it becomes a clown??" didn't do it for me.

Glasses Optional
Apr 23, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Yea. He was laying low because there were still some pretty heavy hitters around before. Odin for one.

Once he went poof, grimace got off the chair and decided if the proxies like Ronan weren't gonna be able to do it, gently caress it, he'd do it himself.

Ostensibly he would have known about Odin.

Who else would he have known about that could pose a threat to him? Because it definitely feels like a saitama situation.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Glasses Optional posted:

Who else would he have known about that could pose a threat to him? Because it definitely feels like a saitama situation.

He knew about the Avengers, and he knew about the Nova Corps.

Not to mention other potential threats that haven't actually appeared yet in the MCU(Galactus comes to mind).

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Felonious_Monk posted:

Also quick ending thought: It irritated me that the way the Losers won was essentially by bullying IT, just like they spent their whole childhoods being bullied. In the book, I believe it's Richie doing his silly voices, and it reminds them all of the pure joys of being a kid, antithetical to the fear IT wants them to feel. That being replaced by "bound by the limitations of the form" which somehow translates to "call it a clown until it becomes a clown??" didn't do it for me.

That was loving hilarious, I couldn't believe my eyes as I was sitting there in the theater. Bad for the movie but so, so worth the price of admission.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Ok so! You're destined to marry this prince right? But it turns out he's a huge rear end in a top hat and maybe wants to genocide your people. In a turn of events, he happens to be drowning right in front of you. Despite there being other people around, you are the only person who knows how to swim. Do you....

A) let the fucker drown and marry the second prince in line to the throne who, coincidentally, is not a genocidal rear end in a top hat and probably won't genocide your people

B) rescue your genocidal rear end in a top hat fiance so you'll be forced to marry him later and watch your people get genocided.

If you picked B, you're in a lovely movie with an idiot plot! Godspeed! Then again, she nearly died leaning out the carriage window, decided walking on a slippery bridge railing during a storm was a good idea, and regularly swam in the ocean wearing heavy skirts. I don't know what I was expecting.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Glasses Optional posted:

I don' think it was a coincidence that he showed up RIGHT after Asgard got exploded. He'd already taken out the Nova corp at that point, but went right for the Asgardians (which was a nice callback to TFA where Red Skull talks about the Tesseract being "The jewel of Odin's treasure room."), since he knew where it ended up after his army got blown up at the end of Avengers.

As far as characters in the MCU that could cause some grief to him, I'd say Hela probably, but more likely the Ancient One. She's been around for centuries and has been the sole reason Dormammu hasn't taken over yet. Once she bought it, he knew the time stone was up for grabs. No way Strange would have near the amount of experience/expertise as she did in that short a time.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

value-brand cereal posted:

Ok so! You're destined to marry this prince right? But it turns out he's a huge rear end in a top hat and maybe wants to genocide your people. In a turn of events, he happens to be drowning right in front of you. Despite there being other people around, you are the only person who knows how to swim. Do you....

A) let the fucker drown and marry the second prince in line to the throne who, coincidentally, is not a genocidal rear end in a top hat and probably won't genocide your people

B) rescue your genocidal rear end in a top hat fiance so you'll be forced to marry him later and watch your people get genocided.

If you picked B, you're in a lovely movie with an idiot plot! Godspeed! Then again, she nearly died leaning out the carriage window, decided walking on a slippery bridge railing during a storm was a good idea, and regularly swam in the ocean wearing heavy skirts. I don't know what I was expecting.

What movie was this?

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

value-brand cereal posted:

They don't kill Prince Humperdinck in The Princess Bride either.

And he was a sociopath along the lines of Patrick Bateman.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

marshmallow creep posted:

What movie was this?

As if you didn’t watch IT

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Imagined posted:

Hasn't gotten great reviews either.

It’s fine. There are some really nice touches in how they handle flashbacks and fleshing out parts that didn’t get as much attention in chapter one.

The worst part was the ending but lovely endings are a common theme in the movie.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
It Chapter 2 is really uneven, there are scenes that are as good as anything in the first movie but the rest of the movie surrounding it isn't as cohesive. That, and they whiffed it with the ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

Doesn't matter what nearly happened, Thanos lost. He did not achieve his goals. The complaint was that if he's so all-powerful he should've been taking a more direct hand in things from the start, but in the end that's what led to his defeat.

I'm still going to disagree here. I mean, except for the part for where he lost.

Okay, so Thanos' plan was to collect all the gems, snap, peace out. He achieved all of this. The combined might of the Avengers pushed against him, and he won. I didn't like this part of the movie (where this debate started in the first place) because each time the Avengers faced off against him, the movie framed it as if they might win. Obviously they wouldn't, because Thanos is impossibly strong and obviously since the entire goal of the good guys is 'get the glove', it's over when that happens. It's not like other movies where the heroes have to solve a mystery or fight their way to the top - the villain just showed up and said "yo I'm going to do this" and they tried to stop him and failed. Then he went elsewhere and said "I'm going to get this stone too" and they try to stop him and they fail. And every time the heroes fight him, it's a long drawn out scene that isn't worth watching because you know they aren't going to achieve part of their goal, he's not going to be driven off or even take a hit that'll be a strategic disadvantage later or anything.

He left, destroyed the gems, and died because he was so incredibly weakened and simply didn't care anymore.

The Avengers are like gently caress that we just happened to invent time travel, let's undo that. I liked this part of the movie, since there was a force for the Avengers to fight back against (often themselves). You know they're going to get the gems, because it's a superhero movie, but there are twists along the way, like Loki vanishing, or the explanation of the multiverse, and how they accomplish the goals is pretty cool, like when Cap fights Cap, and past Thanos keying in on what's happened.

That's my main gripe with everything, just that stuff.

The discussion about Thanos never losing is still apt (though this is unrelated to the previous irritation): he's won every battle at this point and accomplished every goal. Then past Thanos shows up and his goal is to get the glove and the Avengers want to stop him. They don't. Every Avenger fights together to get the glove away from him and they all fail. It's not like there's a strategy or team work or a plan or anything, everything they try as a whole fails. Literally the only reason he fails is because of nanobots ex machina that only really work (from what I interpreted, anyway) because the current glove was one that Tony put together so he could gently caress around with it by touching it or something. In the end it was of no fault of his own that he lost. He could've broadcast his plans to the universe in the first movie and there wasn't a thing anyone could've done to stop him. The fact that they did was just something completely arbitrary and random.

This part isn't something that bugged me during the movie, I thought the ending was a bombastically great finish to a huge arc of super hero films. The first part, Thanos's plot invulnerability and the movie's feeble attempts to hide that fact, did.

Edit: poo poo that's more words than I've ever typed about any superhero film ever.

Morpheus has a new favorite as of 20:02 on Sep 13, 2019