Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Mad Wack posted:

nah you gotta unfreeze, it’s fraud alert where they call you - i have both

Then I done ducked up and don’t have things frozen properly. At least fraud worked.

Gosh darned identity thieves.

Housh posted:

Man...I haven't used Apple Care on anything ever but always get it. Going to get a Pro Max thinking of finally skipping the insurance. Do it?

For me it has paid for itself every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Now I'm rethinking the size. Do I want the Pro or the Pro Max? The Pro Max is much heavier than the 7 Plus. That kinda sucks.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Housh posted:

Now I'm rethinking the size. Do I want the Pro or the Pro Max? The Pro Max is much heavier than the 7 Plus. That kinda sucks.

As someone with an Xs Maxxxxx

Once you go Maxxxx you never go back.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Rolo posted:

It’s gonna have a case on it, so the flex is from the weird benign camera.

Can we call it the rangetop? Because that's all I can see.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Ultimate Mango posted:

Then I done ducked up and don’t have things frozen properly. At least fraud worked.

Gosh darned identity thieves.

For me it has paid for itself every time.

Nah, Housh basically paid for your repairs. How does that feel, Housh?

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

tuyop posted:

Nah, Housh basically paid for your repairs. How does that feel, Housh?
Guess I'm not getting Apple care anymore.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

MarcusSA posted:

As someone with an Xs Maxxxxx

Once you go Maxxxx you never go back.

:objection: I had a 7+ and I hated how huge and heavy it was!

Also, another leather case option for XR & iPhone 11 is Nomad. Has a dumb rubber bumper unfortunately, but Horween leather is good stuff.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I’m trying to convince my wife to trade in her 8+ for an 11 but she’s afraid she’ll miss the home button.

I couldn’t ditch the home button fast enough.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The 8+ doesn’t have a home button, it has a home indentation

eames
May 9, 2009

Housh posted:

Im not looking for a new phone but I also noticed that the Pro Max is quite a bit heavier than my 8 Plus which still feels quite heavy to me after years of use.
I’m not going to complain about it because Apple finally sacrificed size and weight for longer battery life but that’s what would make me want to go with the smaller one (or non-Pro) if I had to upgrade for some reason.
Surprisingly even the iPhone 11 weighs 194g compared to the 202g of the 8 Plus.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I'm starting to rethink upgrading from 7 Plus to 11 Pro Max and just holding on for one more year. The main thing I wanted was a higher refresh rate screen.

What are the rumours for 2020? Is it going to be the big redesign like the X?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Housh posted:

I'm starting to rethink upgrading from 7 Plus to 11 Pro Max and just holding on for one more year. The main thing I wanted was a higher refresh rate screen.

The 2020 is going to have everything that you wanted from the 2019 phone and be the best phone they've ever made.

Then its released and the 2021 will be the one you wanted to wait for.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

So you’re saying wait for 2022?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Housh posted:

Yes.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

enojy posted:

Same, had the 6+ and it was too big for my pants, and I’m almost 2m tall. It fit but I could barely sit down. The X size is just about perfect, because on the other end of the spectrum the SE size is impossible to type for me these days.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

enojy posted:

Also, another leather case option for XR & iPhone 11 is Nomad. Has a dumb rubber bumper unfortunately, but Horween leather is good stuff.

But you just said you thought that XR was fine and that's thicker, heavier and feels far more unbalanced in hand than a 7 Plus.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

iPhone SE/30 coming in 2022; you heard it here first!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Apple removed the headphone port but is bringing back the 30-pin connector

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

dissss posted:

But you just said you thought that XR was fine and that's thicker, heavier and feels far more unbalanced in hand than a 7 Plus.

I can't remember precisely my gripe for the "plus" models, but playing with the XR today didn't evoke any of those feelings. It could actually be the discrepancy of measurements that sat better with me -- the 7+ was considerably taller, a hair wider, but thinner and lighter. Those last two tended to impart a sense of fragility whenever I stretched my thumb to the point of adjusting my grip, especially while holding the phone parallel to the ground (and ~5 feet up!) On the flip side, the extra bit of girth and weight of the XR may've resulted in a more secure-feeling object in (my own) hand.

The "I didn't like it because it was too heavy" part was solely because I couldn't help but always kickstand my pinky finger under the phone, and that poo poo wore my pinky out fast. That's still a problem with my iPhone X and probably will be with any phone going forward, unfortunately. It was just initially striking coming from a 5S, which was surely way lighter.

I even tried some risky poo poo, since the Apple Store demo models are already beat to a pulp anyway. Control Center shortcut one-handed, swiping from the left, etc. None of it felt foreign compared to my iPhone X in a thin case, whereas the 7+ was like "ah, poo poo, well this is big" on day one, and not a day went by in which I didn't feel a tinge of anxiety handling the phone outside the safety of a negligible drop onto the carpet or my own dumb face while in bed.

We surely have different hands and possibly different mannerisms of one-handing a phone, though, so those were just my $0.02! At this point in the game, the "plus" phones are all but phased out, so I think everyone should form their own opinion by handling all three in person before plunking down. I mailordered my 7+ sight unseen via Verizon and ended up regretting it in the end. I think there's something close to perfectly-sized for most hands (and screen size preferences) since the XR/XS/XS Max form factors arrived, and the XR/11 seems to be about it for my tastes.

Full disclosure: I totally did almost fling the demo unit out of my hand the second I picked it up to unlock it. The oleophobic coating was non-existent, though, and it didn't happen again after that.

enojy fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Sep 13, 2019

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

At some point, Apple will release the iPhone 9 and if will be the SE sized phone of your dreams. You just gotta keep waiting.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I've got two iPhones SE so I'm set until then.
(Although if I see a 128GB one in good condition I might be tempted to grab another.)

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Found another proper looking iPhone 11 non-pro leather case. Buzz words: veg tanned full grain leather, looks close enough to what Apple should've made. Will patina and look sick (gross) as gently caress a la Saddle Brown.Tiny little bonus: the opening for the mute switch is chamfered so it shouldn't be as impossible to use without fingernails. Has "M U J J O" subtly embossed into it, but if it ends up being a quality product, I won't even give a poo poo about the free advertising that possibly no one else will ever notice.

They've been around since at least 2012 and don't seem shady at all so I took the plunge. With 10% discount code "ilovemujjo" and shipping to the US, it came to $42. Will give trip report but it's coming from Europe so I bet it doesn't show up for a few weeks.

enojy fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Sep 13, 2019

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Housh posted:

Off the top of my head, smaller Pro phone will get smaller, big one will get bigger, regular phone will get OLED. USB-C and Touch ID keep coming up, and time of flight sensor for the camera array. iPhone 8 might get updated guts a la the 5S->SE treatment. And 5G I guess but whatever, that poo poo is a mess.

Actually just saw a new rumor mentioning 120hz screen, so there you go.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Housh posted:

No, cause iPhone (2022) will be eclipsed in every way by iPhone (2023). iPhone (2023) will have a faster processor, faster graphics, more neural cores, and a dedicated memoji chip.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I have the XS currently and while I really understand there’s no point to upgrading, I can’t say no to a green phone. While the 2020 iPhone seems to have cooler features or whatever, I’m worried the green color won’t make it past the 11.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Is there a way to change the colour of the shirt on the Memoji stickers in iOS 13 or are they all gonna be grey?

edit: Also that Peel case someone mentioned earlier looks fantastic. Does the clear one has a habit of showing dust between it and the phone or should I get one of the non-transparent ones?

Question Mark Mound fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Sep 13, 2019

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Has Apple talked anymore about using USB-C as their port? I thought I heard rumors that Apple would be shifting over to that standard but those died off afterwards.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Has Apple talked anymore about using USB-C as their port? I thought I heard rumors that Apple would be shifting over to that standard but those died off afterwards.

That’s one of the 2020 iPhone rumors along with under the screen Touch ID.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Is the 13.1 PB 3 still as garbage as PB 1 or is it back to decent by now? I’m seeing annoying weirdness in Books on 13.0 PB and it’s driving me bonkers.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Preorder should be up now for those of you who wanted to get the 11/11 Pro.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Skeezy posted:

Preorder should be up now for those of you who wanted to get the 11/11 Pro.

Sitting at almost there screen on apple store app still :(

edit: and just as I posted that it's up and my pre-order is in. 11 Pro 256gb Green ordered!

flipoff
Nov 25, 2003

Really, bitch?

Not having to wake up in the middle of the night to preorder this year was great, green pro max preordered.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Green and black iPhones 11 regular preordered. Also bought a few Anker wireless chargers to stick around the house.

I'm normally awake around 4:30 AM PDT anyway so this new preorder time was great.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Got my 64GB Pro in Green. So happy to have my green phone finally.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Ordered right at 5am, the Apple Store app didn’t save my credit card info for the preorder. In the 2 minutes it took me to stumble from my bed to get my wallet my ship date slipped from Sep 20th to Sep 27th-Oct 1st. :smith:

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I had my order in by 5:04 and it was already 9/23. Green is popular.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The new color always is. People like new. Like idiots. Silver is still the best color.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Got a Greenphone ordered through Verizon (hope your code worked right, Duckman! Thanks!). Says it should deliver on Monday which uh we'll see. If they make a Bluephone next year, I'll be real upset.

CoolRanch
Apr 5, 2019
Ordered a GreenMax. Feel bad about ditching the s10+ but it's being handed down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

Got a Greenphone ordered through Verizon (hope your code worked right, Duckman! Thanks!). Says it should deliver on Monday which uh we'll see. If they make a Bluephone next year, I'll be real upset.

Appreciate it sir. Worst case, in a year you can trade up and get the new one (or sell your current phone online).

Yeah, I don’t think that gave you the right ship date. I’ll have a grasp on what phones are back ordered and not later today.