Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I'm playing Spiderweb Software's new RPG Queen's Wish, and it has a number of neat little things.

First off, your character is the third child of an empress, packed off to a colony to try to make something of yourself. Which means that from the get-go you have to watch what you say, because you're representing a major power. It's a big change from your average level-1 nobody who has to kill giant rats before anyone will give them the time of day.

The game's also really streamlined in many ways. With this kind of game you expect to be diving into dungeons, gradually clearing them of monsters, scraping up every valuable whatever you can find, and then hauling them back to town to sell. Except that...
  • You have to do every dungeon in a single pass. If you leave to recover and come back, the enemies will have recovered too. You can't do the old "spend all my spells and abilities to clear out the gate guards, leave, rest, return, take on the foyer, leave, rest, return, take on the barracks, etc."
  • You get no experience (nor loot) for killing things, only for accomplishing things. So there's no incentive to grind. But when you do get experience it comes in nice big chunks.
  • The treasures you find are almost entirely either miscellaneous valuables that are converted into gold on the spot, or raw materials that you send your servants and soldiers to pick up when you're done trashing the place. The real rewards are the passive income (more gold and raw materials) you get from the place once you've reclaimed it for your country, which are used to maintain and expand your fortresses, which get you better equipment and various passive bonuses.

All these little things combine to really reduce the murderhobo aspect of RPGs. You can feel free to (try to) intimidate enemies into not fighting you, because there's no reward for killing faceless mooks anyway. And you can start doing that intimidation immediately rather than having to grind for reputation or invest points in social skills. Discretion can absolutely be the better part of valor too; on Hard the dungeons are pretty tricky and there are definitely times when you're better off just avoiding a fight rather than clearing out the entire dungeon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Hokkaido Anxiety posted:

Do these happen beyond case 6? Or maybe it's because I'm on casual, but I thought it was nice that when I was spotted I could just say "gently caress it" and go loud.

There's at least one where you can't "go loud", you just lose. It's also a tailing mission, so double whammy. It's not a required sequence at least. I ended up just beating it by running as far forward as I could and hoping the it updated the checkpoint when I failed.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Litte things in Darksiders III:

It cribs the Bloodsouls loot system, having a corpse with a floating thingy next to them:

But there's a neat addition that these emit a very distinguishable hum when you're near, making it much less frustrating to be sure if you should be looking at all those corners or press on.

It also got the Estus, but from its most accomplished implementation, DaS II, meaning you have one main healing item which can be upgraded in both quantity and quality but also several expendable gems that can be used in a pinch. There's also a shortcut to quickly swap to it, in case you currently have another item equipped and can't afford to go left/right all the way to the heals.

I've also mentioned this in the Ps4 Thread but, like its predecessors, the game is filled with overdesigned characters that are completely ridiculous but I do adore its style

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I'm playing Spiderweb Software's new RPG Queen's Wish, and it has a number of neat little things.

First off, your character is the third child of an empress, packed off to a colony to try to make something of yourself. Which means that from the get-go you have to watch what you say, because you're representing a major power. It's a big change from your average level-1 nobody who has to kill giant rats before anyone will give them the time of day.

The game's also really streamlined in many ways. With this kind of game you expect to be diving into dungeons, gradually clearing them of monsters, scraping up every valuable whatever you can find, and then hauling them back to town to sell. Except that...
  • You have to do every dungeon in a single pass. If you leave to recover and come back, the enemies will have recovered too. You can't do the old "spend all my spells and abilities to clear out the gate guards, leave, rest, return, take on the foyer, leave, rest, return, take on the barracks, etc."
  • You get no experience (nor loot) for killing things, only for accomplishing things. So there's no incentive to grind. But when you do get experience it comes in nice big chunks.
  • The treasures you find are almost entirely either miscellaneous valuables that are converted into gold on the spot, or raw materials that you send your servants and soldiers to pick up when you're done trashing the place. The real rewards are the passive income (more gold and raw materials) you get from the place once you've reclaimed it for your country, which are used to maintain and expand your fortresses, which get you better equipment and various passive bonuses.

All these little things combine to really reduce the murderhobo aspect of RPGs. You can feel free to (try to) intimidate enemies into not fighting you, because there's no reward for killing faceless mooks anyway. And you can start doing that intimidation immediately rather than having to grind for reputation or invest points in social skills. Discretion can absolutely be the better part of valor too; on Hard the dungeons are pretty tricky and there are definitely times when you're better off just avoiding a fight rather than clearing out the entire dungeon.

I got burnt out on spiderweb games but that sounds like he fixed everything I got tired of in his old games.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

One more good little thing in MGSV:

https://i.imgur.com/1EXFT8W.mp4

Finally getting around to building my robot friend :3:

Sadly maybe one of the last new touches I'll appreciate since the endgame showed up about 20 missions earlier than expected, and I don't know how many "[earlier mission]...but harder/stealthier" I can handle, even if there's more story along the way :sigh:

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

Captain Hygiene posted:

Sadly maybe one of the last new touches I'll appreciate since the endgame showed up about 20 missions earlier than expected, and I don't know how many "[earlier mission]...but harder/stealthier" I can handle, even if there's more story along the way :sigh:

Those missions are optional I think for story purposes. Just more things to do in a more challenging way.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I knew there were some unresolved things i.e. Baby Psycho Mantis and Baby Liquid Snake, as I learned during random wiki reads :psyduck: but I wasn't sure how much was left in-game. Mainly I'm just sad because I'd seen the full number of missions thrown around and was surprised to instantly go from "wow, insane mid-boss!" to "oh....that was it" in one mission :|

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

RBA Starblade posted:

They do it in basically every game but I love how EDF 5 presents its final missions and just goes to loving town with it

Earth is blown to gently caress. The alien motherships are unstoppable. Billions are dead. You just found out that the few holdouts who went for broke in North America have failed to kill the mothership there. All is lost.

Oh wait a minute what the gently caress is this, shouts everyone

There's still a squad left! Holy gently caress! It's blowing the gently caress out of the ship! Jesus Christ! The intel officer is shrieking some insane thing about the Egg of God and Kill God Dead and the commander is flipping out that not everyone got owned while the insaner mad scientist officer is declaring herself the new god because of her mega laser and here you and whatever is left of the NPCs are, in the middle of rubble, shooting the hell out of a spaceship that exploded into the first boss from Rez and a Bullet Hell's nightmare baby.

You did it you won holy gently caress we showed the aliens they aren't invincible and we were here even if they're still going to genocide us and oh wait a sec

Is that God

God is coming down from On High to murder you with kamehamehas and meteors because you blew up his space ship and are stopping him from saving earth from climate change, apparently.

Now the intel officer has totally lost it and is hysterical that God Himself is annihilating humanity and the science officer is demanding literally any human beings still alive (not a lot of them) just throw their bodies at God, we don't have any guns or armor left so gently caress it just punch God in the dick if you can, we're hosed, just do it, and the commander is wailing in horror that EDF is gone (except your squad) and that that's all that's left to do.

Then I, in a gigantic robot that was still around, rain fists on God, nailing him in the face and balls until he died.

That's a lot of words for the little thing so the little thing about EDF I adore is that it does not shy away from the game being apocalyptic and that over 110 missions, you're mostly losing, Earth is hosed and you're losing contact with the rest of EDF bit by bit until it's down to you and the Father, Son and Holy Ghost in a duel to the death. And you're just some no name civilian.

I really need to get EDF 5 I guess.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Captain Hygiene posted:

Mainly I'm just sad because I'd seen the full number of missions thrown around and was surprised to instantly go from "wow, insane mid-boss!" to "oh....that was it" in one mission :|

That's how we all felt. We all felt pain from something that's supposed to be there but isn't.

They played us all like a drat fiddle!

whoa aaaaaaaah

Robert J. Omb
Dec 1, 2005
The 'J' stands for 'AAARRGH!'
Any game that shows completion /100%.

I like to know how far through I am.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

^especially if they break it into subcategories.

Story/100%
Collectibles/100%
Sidequests/100%

Give me more numbers when I do things

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.

Vic posted:

That's how we all felt. We all felt pain from something that's supposed to be there but isn't.

They played us all like a drat fiddle!

whoa aaaaaaaah

Kojima released an uncomplete game and called it The Phantom Pain, the loving madman

whoa aaaaaaaah

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Robert J. Omb posted:

Any game that shows completion /100%.

I like to know how far through I am.

This is the path to sadness in FFX-2, not advised.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Vic posted:

whoa aaaaaaaah

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

CitizenKain posted:

I really need to get EDF 5 I guess.

It is really the most batshit edition of the game.
The sheer manic panic at the end of the game is harrowing.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Inzombiac posted:

It is really the most batshit edition of the game.
The sheer manic panic at the end of the game is harrowing.

Yeah I don't think any EDF game has been this dark at the end. I mean, they've alluded to cities being destroyed, sure, but never the amount of genocide that occurs by the end of EDF5. There's like, what, less than a billions humans alive or something? I forget the numbers.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The ending says "90%" of humanity is dead and that it's hauntingly silent on the Earth after the remaining aliens run in terror from you. Society has totally collapsed and the world is in a new dark age, banditry and chaos is rampant but the remnants of the EDF will pull mankind from the brink so there's still a tinge of hope to it.

Unless you're in multiplayer then it just says Congratulations! :yayclod:

In contrast EDF 4.1 has humanity with the help of the EDF rebuild swiftly and enter a new golden era, despite the megadeath, iirc.

RBA Starblade has a new favorite as of 16:05 on Sep 13, 2019

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

This game wasn't on my radar at all, but this sounds neat, and I'll probably check it out next time I have the time to devote to an RPG.

The last game I played by this developer was the shareware demo of the first Avernum (then Exile) back in like 1997, lol.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I watched a video of that EDF thing everyone has been talking about, and when the golden space god descends, the commander orders you to take it under arrest and shoot it if it resists. :allears:

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
CrossCode just got a patch that added NG+ mode, and it is pretty much the best type possible. You can customize things based on points earned by getting achievements, and with some options characters actually react to the changes. If you carry over your level people remark that you're supposed to be a newbie but you are at level 50+, and activating the mode where you do stupidly huge amounts of damage because your hacker friend made hacked it that way for you even gives you a new expression for dialogue.

There's a lot of options too, from boosting drop rates and gold/xp gain to taking away conveniences (like warping to landmarks from anywhere and automatic out of combat healing) to adding witch time, making enemies (that normally are passive unless attacked) hostile on sight, and making yourself die in one hit. Its going to be fun going back through.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

This actually sounds really good; I need to check this out. I've been sleeping on Spiderweb games for the longest time and it sounds like a good time to jump in.

Like you say, one of the things I'm growing tired of in games is experience points and how they are rewarded, especially when it involves killing things. Recently I tried to play RPGs like...I think it was Wasteland 2, and I remember making really stupid role-playing decisions like sneaking past things to get bonus experience for stealthing it, but then turning around and killing all the guards I sneaked past anyway to get all that kill experience left on the table. Similar experience in games like Deus Ex: Human Revolution, where doing a lethal melee kill is fundamentally worse in every aspect to a non-lethal melee skill: it's louder, gives less experience, and the guards don't wake up either way, so why even bother?

Are there any other great examples of this type of experience point paradigm shift where they avoid turning you into a murderhobo?

I recently saw that Underrail has two experience modes, Oddity and Classic. Classic is the typical 'complete quests and kill things to get exp', but the game defaults to 'Oddity', which gives you experience solely by scavenging relics, oddities, books and such, meaning it avoids the 'murderhobo' situation. I think Pillars of Eternity only gives you experience for killing enemies a few times, since it is technically just you 'researching' them and once done, it gives no more.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines does the "XP is only rewarded for completing quests" thing.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
You get some experience from encounters in Original Sin 2 but the big load that will make you level up comes from the quests.

Original Sin 2 also has a cool thing where you'll keep following major quests through the entirety of the game, but you earn portions of exp for every step you take on uncovering more of them or solving small bits before proceeding to the next. There are also short-ish sidequests but most of the stuff you do tend to feel very grandiose and tied up to the rest of the quests and the world.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

In Control you can force grab rockets out of the air and throw them back.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

exquisite tea posted:

But can you grab lasers with your psychokinesis? This is very important.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
There are no enemies that shoot lasers. Maybe in the sequel.

But another thing you can do is grab *your own* rockets if you see they're going to miss and re-throw them at someone else.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

I randomly grabbed that with my credit from gamestop's buyback bonuses from a few weeks back and am an hour or so in, the presentation of casual psychokinesis in pretty much everything you do is awesome. Also the "explode into bits" animation is very satisfying, I'm still just randomly force-punching everything on walls as I walk by.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm playing the OK KO game as it was on sale and it's really cute so far. I like how the backgrounds animate when you fight, like the picture frames in the frame store shaking on the walls. Also getting Enid's Powie Zowie is adorable. I also like that there seems to be no reason to arrange cards in the binder, it's not a deck building game, you just equip two of them and use them, but KO's a 6-11 year old who collects cards so it's totally in character to be able to rearrange them since that's what KO would do for fun.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

FutureCop posted:

Similar experience in games like Deus Ex: Human Revolution, where doing a lethal melee kill is fundamentally worse in every aspect to a non-lethal melee skill: it's louder, gives less experience, and the guards don't wake up either way, so why even bother?

The guards actually can be woken up if they're found by one of their friends, it just almost never comes up because the NPCs are locked into fairly small areas and if you take out one enemy in that area then you'll probably either take out all the others or get through so quickly it won't matter.

The only real exception is when you're already being hunted and you're just sneaking around picking guards off one by one, but in that case you're probably just headshotting them with the pistol anyway.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Dabbing is annoying and played out and lame etc, except somehow when Kyoko in River City Girls does it as an attack, it’s cool and good. I don’t know why.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Dr Christmas posted:

Dabbing is annoying and played out and lame etc, except somehow when Kyoko in River City Girls does it as an attack, it’s cool and good. I don’t know why.

Maybe it’s just the difference between dabbing as an ironic gesture and simply letting out a dab that wells up within you.

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019

Tiggum posted:

The guards actually can be woken up if they're found by one of their friends, it just almost never comes up because the NPCs are locked into fairly small areas and if you take out one enemy in that area then you'll probably either take out all the others or get through so quickly it won't matter.

The only real exception is when you're already being hunted and you're just sneaking around picking guards off one by one, but in that case you're probably just headshotting them with the pistol anyway.

A very good way to take out a group of guards is to get one with the tranq rifle where he'll be seen and then dart each subsequent guard as they kneel down to wake up the previous one.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Ah, the classic manpile.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Dabbing is really stupid and I love it.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

The intro/attract mode song and animation for Persona 5 is so funky and fun that I’ve probably lost a solid half hour of my life letting it play out after booting the game sometimes.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Remnant: From the Ashes takes place quite a bit after an apocalypse destroyed the modern world. So a lot of the items you find are just repurposed things that they either don't know the original use for or only have a vague idea. Like they call all kinds of metal "Iron" just different types of iron. Also the description of "Frenzy Dust" (that it was mostly found in alleys and in tall buildings) makes it pretty clear that it is just cocaine.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

muscles like this! posted:

Remnant: From the Ashes takes place quite a bit after an apocalypse destroyed the modern world. So a lot of the items you find are just repurposed things that they either don't know the original use for or only have a vague idea. Like they call all kinds of metal "Iron" just different types of iron. Also the description of "Frenzy Dust" (that it was mostly found in alleys and in tall buildings) makes it pretty clear that it is just cocaine.

this is also a thing in smt4 and it's pretty good there too. your character is originally from a more medieval society and ends up scrounging around post-apocalypse modern tokyo. you can find 'artifacts' which are really just random old world poo poo you sell to vendors and the item descriptions will be your character musing what they think a CD or a keychain are supposed to be

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Brother Entropy posted:

this is also a thing in smt4 and it's pretty good there too. your character is originally from a more medieval society and ends up scrounging around post-apocalypse modern tokyo. you can find 'artifacts' which are really just random old world poo poo you sell to vendors and the item descriptions will be your character musing what they think a CD or a keychain are supposed to be

Also a thing in Horizon Zero Dawn. Coffee cups being sacred vessels for example.

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019

ElectricWizard posted:

Also a thing in Horizon Zero Dawn. Coffee cups being sacred vessels for example.

I really liked how HZD handled it, for the most part they were able to figure things out because they're humans with human brains and the errors are largely from encountering things they don't have a proper frame of reference for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

buddhist nudist posted:

I really liked how HZD handled it, for the most part they were able to figure things out because they're humans with human brains and the errors are largely from encountering things they don't have a proper frame of reference for.

And even Aloy's like "Are you sure they didn't just drink out of them?" whenever the collector tries to ascribe a deeper meaning.