Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Shame Boy posted:

Yes that's the Pulse logo.

I drove past it once when dropping someone off at the train station since it's just down the street. It was really spooky and weird to see it cuz I wasn't expecting it to be there. "Oh huh there's that place from the international news-making murder event but in real life, okay."

I got that same feel when I was at McCarren in Las Vegas and saw the Mandalay Bay Hotel. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/ShortFormErnie/status/1172129234149658624

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I'm genuinely surprised a website called EATER is not a weird fetish forum that's somehow been continuously active since the 90's

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

There is a documentary series on Netflix called rotten. There is an episode on garlic and it's the most dickered up thing ever.

Also my phone autocorrects hosed to dickered and I'm leaving it like that

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

bike tory posted:

Idk maybe restaurant prices are way more here too? Mains ~$25-30, entrees $10-15, desserts about the same, drinks like $8-10 each. That easily adds up to more than $100, even if you skip dessert or entree.

Americans call main dishes entrees lol. Dumb fucks.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

Powershift posted:

There is a documentary series on Netflix called rotten. There is an episode on garlic and it's the most dickered up thing ever.

Also my phone autocorrects hosed to dickered and I'm leaving it like that

I've been trying to get my employer to stop buying Christopher Ranch garlic for awhile. I'm friends with our buyer, but he says it's CR or nothing, our supplier doesn't carry anything else.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Arms_Akimbo posted:

I've been trying to get my employer to stop buying Christopher Ranch garlic for awhile. I'm friends with our buyer, but he says it's CR or nothing, our supplier doesn't carry anything else.

It's stunning how even the most banal things from the outside are hosed up and rotten on the inside. like things you never even think about that do untold damage to create.

Toothpaste is ground unicorn horn. Trees feel pain and beg for their lives while they're being cut down. Pro wrestling is real.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

The one job I've had doing food service the boss was super chill with me eating food and taking drinks and stuff. It helped that I worked with her every shift AND I'm like 60% sure the business was actually a money laundering scheme of some kind. She ended up firing me because a bunch of stoners thought they ordered a pizza when instead they hung up on me after saying they didn't want to order. (This was, I admit, after a fair amount of fuckups on my part, because as it turns out giving me a menu to memorize before I'm actually hired and expecting me to understand some archaic system from the 1990's means I won't get things perfectly the first week.)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

spankmeister posted:

Americans call main dishes entrees lol. Dumb fucks.

Pipe down or you'll get extremely dubiousstupid false etymologies quoted at you.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
http://homintern.soy/posts/wemachines.html

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
https://twitter.com/TimAeppel/status/1172201314094333952

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
is a couch a cushion sandwich?

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Nightmare fuel.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

LOL, I feed 4 people, including a 16 year old athlete, for like, $300 a month. In an expensive month. That is not being super frugal, but like, frugal enough.

Are they living in loving Nome? That ain't even Hawaii prices.

Edit: LOL I forgot how many people are in this house or counted the dog or some poo poo.

KiteAuraan has issued a correction as of 09:27 on Sep 13, 2019

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Organic kale costs a lot at the trendy grocer and Mikhailyah has self-diagnosed celiac disease so can't have your proletariat pasta.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Funny thing about organic kale that if you eat it in season and hit farmer's markets and stuff, it costs at most, 99 cents a bunch, less at peak.

I eat a lot of it when it is on sale because it's one of the cheapest green vegetables you can get, but only at that time.

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

I imagine at some point spending your time cooking starts to seem inefficient from a cost/benefit perspective. If you make hundreds of dollars an hour, why spend 1 hour of your time to try and save a few bucks by poaching chicken and cleaning the kitchen when you can get Whole Foods hot bar, or delivery or something. Especially if your cooking skills aren't good to begin with, and you value your 1 additional hour of leisure time more than you'd save making a meal. I suppose you might as well hire a servant to cook and clean for you at that point, I'm sure there's room in the budget somewhere for, uh, misc. services?

I have no idea, gonna eat some frozen soup I made over the weekend for lunch tomorrow.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
Oh so much work to put meat in the oven and take it out again.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

Shame Boy posted:

Why didn't you do that then lol

The employer actually wanted him to just keep working for free after he hit his hours quota, like how salaried middle managers at stores will be there for 12 hours a day every day but their salary is equivalent to working 30 hour weeks

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Commutes should count as working hours. If you're not paying me enough to live near my workplace (and you're forcing me to travel to do a job I could do from home, but that's not really relevant) then you need to compensate me for it.

The EU actually offers protections to workers without a set workplace because of companies that tried to abuse them by claiming their time spent traveling wasn't worktime:

https://www.fastcompany.com/3063893/the-eu-says-that-some-commuting-time-counts-as-paid-work

quote:

By today’s judgment, the Court of Justice declares that, where workers, such as those in the situation at issue, do not have a fixed or habitual place of work, the time spent by those workers traveling each day between their homes and the premises of the first and last customers designated by their employer constitutes working time within the meaning of the directive.

I don't see how this doesn't also apply to workers with a fixed place of work.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
it absolutely should, all lunches should be paid as well as they generally isn't productive time you could use for personal business.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

autism ZX spectrum posted:

The employer actually wanted him to just keep working for free after he hit his hours quota, like how salaried middle managers at stores will be there for 12 hours a day every day but their salary is equivalent to working 30 hour weeks

Well yeah but if you're going to be fired either way, just stop working and close the store at noon. I guess that only works if you know you're going to be fired either way, but I get the feeling this didn't exactly come out of nowhere.

If you want to force people to work 12 hours without overtime pay then make them salaried, it's not hard and they can't sue you for your petty bullshit then.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/ywya7x/flat-to-rent-brent-cross-but-dont

quote:

this flat doesn't have an EPC (Energy) Rating because it's simply too small to class ("- EPC Rating: EPC Not Required (Less than 50 square metres being rented)" – a cool and good boast, I think we'll all agree) and this single bed, windowless, oven-less, tiny-bathroomed studio flat, in Brent Cross, has its maximum occupancy listed as: two.

Yours for £795 a month.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I must have missed something, what's wrong with garlic?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
No vampiric propaganda plz.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

KiteAuraan posted:

Funny thing about organic kale that if you eat it in season and hit farmer's markets and stuff, it costs at most, 99 cents a bunch, less at peak.

I eat a lot of it when it is on sale because it's one of the cheapest green vegetables you can get, but only at that time.

The real funny thing about kale is that before the superfood trend, the largest purchaser was Pizza hut, to use as decoration under their salad bar.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Shame Boy posted:

only works if you know you're going to be fired either way

i didnt know i was damned if you do/dont

i wish i had just closed it but i stole enough poo poo to assuage my regret

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Chomp8645 posted:

I must have missed something, what's wrong with garlic?

Garlic and sin will likely be with us until this old world goes up into smoke or becomes a frozen ball :argh:

onions are good tho

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

As someone who actually lived in a windowless bedroom for multiple years... at least it has a window. :smith:

Elman posted:

Commutes should count as working hours. If you're not paying me enough to live near my workplace (and you're forcing me to travel to do a job I could do from home, but that's not really relevant) then you need to compensate me for it.

The EU actually offers protections to workers without a set workplace because of companies that tried to abuse them by claiming their time spent traveling wasn't worktime:

https://www.fastcompany.com/3063893/the-eu-says-that-some-commuting-time-counts-as-paid-work

I don't see how this doesn't also apply to workers with a fixed place of work.

My workplace moved across town and my commute went from a very stable 14 minutes to a minimum of 22, often 30, and disappointingly frequently 45+, both ways.

It was better for the owner's kids because it's literally less than a mile from their home. The rest of us can just get hosed, I guess. :cripes:

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Is this author a goon?

quote:

Be prepared to get shouted down by your supervisor or your team leader at the tail end of your shift, telling you you’ll have to stay for another two hours – because the loving Computer-God doubled the quota during your lunch break. No one is relaying this information because the workers are only useful to the supervisors as a way of making the numbers go up.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

https://www.gumtree.com/p/property-to-rent/studio-flat-in-woodville-road-london-nw11-567659-/1347551209

now i'm not versed in building reqs for england specifically, but i did some double-checking:
a) they're required to show an epc rating, "not applicable" isn't good enough
b) there's a minimum rating of e from 2018, so N/A isn't good enough
c) failure to provide an epc to a tenant who's moved in after the requirements means no section 21 possession order can be served
d) even if they're claiming it's not a distinct dwelling (horseshit) they need to advertise the epc for the building containing it
e) are we taking bets on if they've stuck to any of the fire regs if an epc is too complicated?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

GEMorris posted:

Is this author a goon?

number cannot fail, it can only be failed

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
is it possible to be a landlord and not deserve the guillotine? or is the very nature of "rent" unethical?

like what if I rent a place I own out at "half price" to someone who needs it

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

500 good dogs posted:

is it possible to be a landlord and not deserve the guillotine? or is the very nature of "rent" unethical?

imo the entire concept of extracting profit from a dwelling you don't personally inhabit is unethical

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Kanine posted:

imo the entire concept of extracting profit from a dwelling you don't personally inhabit is unethical

well there are maintenance costs and certainly property taxes, it's theoretically possible to lose money landlording

lol forever at that ever happening tho

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

500 good dogs posted:

if they need it and you're chargin em for it you're a oval office

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
water, roof, food, whatever

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

well there are maintenance costs and certainly property taxes, it's theoretically possible to lose money landlording

lol forever at that ever happening tho

yeah, okay, so let's say I'm a landlord who lets someone live in the property if they cover all of the taxes/maintenance/utilities, but otherwise no rent. seems like that's gotta be near the boundaries of ethics

of course until that person is taxed appropriately, they obviously have an unethical amount of wealth if they have property they can rent out

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

We rent out our house to offset (but not fully cover) the cost of renting a place in another city where my partner works. What does that count as?

e: works, not lives

voiceless anal fricative has issued a correction as of 05:05 on Sep 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

bike tory posted:

We rent out our house to offset (but not fully cover) the cost of renting a place in another city where my partner lives. What does that count as?

You are Satan incarnate, but worse, times infinity