Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

dragon enthusiast posted:

Stonecoil Serpent X
Artifact Creature - Snake
Reach, Trample, Protection from multicolor
Stonecoil Serpent enters the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters on it.
0/0

Obviously this is going to be jammed in every deck for the next two years but I feel like there's some potential in for an aggro deck with this, the landfall proliferate guy, and some of the better counter stuff running around.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Be Our Guest

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

remember when X for an X/X required a downside?
then it was just fair as is
now...
Yeah, I remember like it was approximately 6 months ago.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Kurieg posted:

Yeah, I remember like it was approximately 6 months ago.

Eh, that downside was just a nod to rarity for limited

We had vanilla X-mana X/X in BFZ with Endless One whose only upside was Eldrazi typing

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Devor posted:

Eh, that downside was just a nod to rarity for limited

We had vanilla X-mana X/X in BFZ with Endless One whose only upside was Eldrazi typing

Snake is also an artifact, which matters a lot

Still pushed though

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

BrianBoitano posted:

Snake is also an artifact, which matters a lot

Still pushed though

Thrashing Brontodon, Disenchant, and Return to Nature are all pretty good, but the best artifact hate in standard - probably the teamup of Knight of Autumn, Teferi, Time Raveler, Bedevil, and Cindervines - is all multi-color.

I think that's gonna be an interesting tension compared to just laughing and playing Deputy of Detention.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
There's a one-mana shatter on the front end of an adventure card.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

this is going to be in standard, too
https://gatherer.wizards.com/pages/card/details.aspx?name=Scuttlemutt

along with mystic forge, karn and ugin

colorless deck might be playable

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

that giant looks so happy

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

There's another "opponent's graveyard matters" card.

When's that "Theros but the underworld" set coming out?

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Kurtofan posted:

:piss:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Huxley posted:

There's another "opponent's graveyard matters" card.

When's that "Theros but the underworld" set coming out?

after throne of eldraine

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Also, it never ceases to amaze me when they've got 20+ years and never named a card, "Stomp" before.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

A card that fits right into goblin chainwhirler's maindeck spot and another big gently caress you to root snare decks.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

holy poo poo

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
5/4 flying wall for two Mana seems playable on its own, the fact that it eventually becomes a win con is just gravy.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Kurtofan posted:

"can't be prevented" clause always seems so :flaccid:. Is it just meant for non-Standard formats? I can't imagine it mattering outside of fog. I guess maybe the pseudo phantom creatures? https://scryfall.com/search?as=grid&order=name&q=oracle%3Aprevent+legal%3Afuture

Great card without it, confused about why they chose that add-on.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

Incoming Glimpse reprint in standard :pray:

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

A three Mana 4/3 with multiple upside seems very pushed for standard.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

More Narset toys

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

BrianBoitano posted:

"can't be prevented" clause always seems so :flaccid:. Is it just meant for non-Standard formats? I can't imagine it mattering outside of fog. I guess maybe the pseudo phantom creatures? https://scryfall.com/search?as=grid&order=name&q=oracle%3Aprevent+legal%3Afuture

There’s a couple very frustrating combo decks that use damage prevention to protect planeswalkers and combo into a Jace win on Arena.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Kurtofan posted:

Both of these cards could be really good depending on how things shake out. Power level seems great here on both cards.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
new variants

Vaah
Dec 25, 2008

:shittydog:

All this storybook variant art is so RAD god

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

BrianBoitano posted:

It works against protection if they block your creature you can play this in response and the damage will go through.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

neaden posted:

It works against protection if they block your creature you can play this in response and the damage will go through.

There are going to be so many tears because of this

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Vaah posted:

All this storybook variant art is so RAD god

Lets see how the premium pack business shakes out. I feel like cards like this are better suited to take the slot of foils, but its nice to know they are embracing some of the easiest ways drive demand.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I think the snake is worse than the Hydra we currently have being played in Bant ramp.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I hate that those fuckin rad storybook frames are going to be in one of the 65 variant products and not just plain-rear end boosters

Not that I play paper anymore but the principle irks me

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

the principle irks me
:yeah:

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

I hate that those fuckin rad storybook frames are going to be in one of the 65 variant products and not just plain-rear end boosters

I'm also extremely mad about something that will never effect me.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Lone Goat posted:

I'm also extremely mad about something that will never effect me.
Art wants to be enjoyed by people, rear end, especially art that so many people put so much work into.

ALLAN LASSUS
May 11, 2007

apul.prof./ass.prof.

I get what they’re trying to do but feels like such a waste of insanely good art, and if they ever put them on Arena (yeah right), they’ll probably be behind an even more insane paywall than the premium boosters

Oh well

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
I'm ok with wizards making money off of cosmetics. It's the gating a powerful card behind special products (like the buy-a-box promos) that worry me more, but I don't play paper so...

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Tubgoat posted:

Art wants to be enjoyed by people, rear end, especially art that so many people put so much work into.

You can enjoy it right now! Just look at this post!!!

Kurtofan posted:

new variants

Or if you ACTUALLY ENJOY ART, buy a print from the artist! Unless you're going to get mad at them too for charging to get a copy.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I'm probably just going to buy singles of the fancy cards I want rather than just hope for them playing a higher stakes lottery than the typical pack.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

ALLAN LASSUS posted:

I get what they’re trying to do but feels like such a waste of insanely good art, and if they ever put them on Arena (yeah right), they’ll probably be behind an even more insane paywall than the premium boosters

Oh well

There's no way these don't hit arena, I'd bet it's the mastery orb thing for this set

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Inventive of WoTC to sell lootboxes from the start and yet take two decades after creating the first just cosmetic item to think of having more than one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004