Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Queen Victorian posted:

I mean, at least it’s passive and you can get stuff done during that time, but still, that’s a huge chunk out of the day.
It's 4 hours of peace and quiet where there's no screaming kids and nobody asks me for a goddamn thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

Some NYC employers do that as a perk for their employees who commute from New Jersey. Commuting from NJ to NYC can easily be $300 or $400 a month.
I'm close to $500 between the railroad and subways, but the company provides food so I'm also spending $200 less on lunch than I was working from home. Toss in the cell phone and gym reimbursements and I'm actually close to breaking even on commute vs. perks

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Every company I've worked for (almost all in Massachusetts) has this benefit where you can pay for commuting costs with pre-tax dollars. Sometimes they even throw in a bit of money to sweeten the deal.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
California and/or the relevant subset for me has pre-tax commute benefit, pays for my monthly bus pass but there's some way to make it pay for car stuff.

mr_package
Jun 13, 2000

Khisanth Magus posted:

I have a sleeping disorder that makes it pretty impossible to sleep before 2am.
If you have 'night owl' circadian rhythm disorder, low dose melatonin can help. 2 or 3 drops out of '1ml = 3mg' liquid melatonin drops is enough. OTC products' dosages for melatonin are way too high (3mg, 5mg, more). You need between 0.3 and 0.5mg, IIRC.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
6am to 2pm (or 7--3), and I eat two or three small meals during the day so I don't add an hour just for lunch. Most days my creativity has waned by 10am. I have serious doubts that the 1030/1100 arrivals who go out daily for their 60--90min lunch are sticking past 6pm, though I admittedly have never bothered to pay much attention to the timestamps on tool-generated email.

People schedule 3pm design meetings. So late in the day, it's no wonder the designs suck.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

mr_package posted:

If you have 'night owl' circadian rhythm disorder, low dose melatonin can help. 2 or 3 drops out of '1ml = 3mg' liquid melatonin drops is enough. OTC products' dosages for melatonin are way too high (3mg, 5mg, more). You need between 0.3 and 0.5mg, IIRC.

This is very true, less is more for melatonin.

Also, I'm a big fan of benadryl/any diphenhydramine product for falling asleep, if you've been struggling with actually falling asleep. Not something to be taken on a regular basis but if you want to break you body's habit of staying awake in bed for 2 hours, it helps.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Protocol7 posted:

Also, I'm a big fan of benadryl/any diphenhydramine product for falling asleep

Just fyi it has a correlation with dementia

graveportents
Sep 12, 2019

strumpets vexed

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

6am to 2pm (or 7--3), and I eat two or three small meals during the day so I don't add an hour just for lunch.

How do you pull yourself out of bed early enough to be in the office by 6am? I just got out of my 20s and thought by now I'd be old enough to Personal Responsibility™ myself to work by 8am but I can barely manage 9.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

You’d be lucky to live long enough to get dementia in this highly hazardous field of work.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

graveportents posted:

How do you pull yourself out of bed early enough to be in the office by 6am? I just got out of my 20s and thought by now I'd be old enough to Personal Responsibility™ myself to work by 8am but I can barely manage 9.

Having children would do it for ya

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

mr_package posted:

Doctors here are trying to get the government to make melatonin prescription only, they say they see many people who don't know how to dose it properly and when to use it properly and it fucks up their sleep rhythm even more.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Queen Victorian posted:

My new office is two miles from my house and a straight shot on the bus. My total commute time is a bit under twenty minutes, and than includes time spent waiting for the bus and walking to and from bus stops.
Take a bicycle, you git.

Steve French posted:

Having children would do it for ya

Worked for me.

Talking about starting times, it is 8:30 now and aside from myself (present at 7:30) and the VP there is nobody on the floor. I already checked my calendar to see if I missed some sort of all hands event or something.

Keetron fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Sep 12, 2019

AngelesXO
May 15, 2009

For me latest I can show up is at 10. Usually do 9am - 4.45pm with 15 minute lunch. Been thinking of coming earlier, but that's still a work in progress.

Also enjoy my ~40 minutes of reading during my commutes

AngelesXO fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Sep 12, 2019

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Keetron posted:

Take a bicycle, you git.

The street that gets me to work is four cramped lanes of terror and bad drivers. There have been some improvements made for bike access and safety elsewhere in the city (like designated bike lanes painted into streets), but not this area. Also my bike got stolen a while back. :(

However, I’ve been considering jogging to work because there is a shower at the office. Want to give it a try before the weather gets bad, at least.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Queen Victorian posted:

The street that gets me to work is four cramped lanes of terror and bad drivers. There have been some improvements made for bike access and safety elsewhere in the city (like designated bike lanes painted into streets), but not this area. Also my bike got stolen a while back. :(

However, I’ve been considering jogging to work because there is a shower at the office. Want to give it a try before the weather gets bad, at least.

Is there a separate running path? Seems strange to not want to bicycle but be willing to run in the same traffic.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Just approved a ticket to change the lowercase p in our logo to an uppercase P

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Rubellavator posted:

Just approved a ticket to change the lowercase p in our logo to an uppercase P

"Singlehandedly orchestrated major company rebranding in a collaborative team-based environment."

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

API chat. Do you maintain a web API? I need to bounce ideas around.

I have one person here who complains extremely loudly about not having a PATCH method on my API and I may not be able to put it off any more.

Update on this from a while back, in case anyone cares.

I ended up doing a generic patch capability for a few of the endpoints. The execution goes like: select all data for object -> make java object -> use reflection to patch up the object based on whatever json was sent -> use the existing update query to update the DB. So at least nothing needed to be added or changed int the DB layer of things.

When I explained this to the guy, he was visibly flustered: "So it's just a read, modify, write like it was before!? UGH!"

I had to explain that, if nothing else, type and table information is needed in the DB layer to be able to construct a sql query. The API doesn't magically know how to update a table given the information { "thingX" : "123.4" }.

He responded "But wait, what if I included the column type and table name in my json?"

I kinda just flatly responded "No." and that seemed to be the end of it. I also indicated that race conditions would still be possible, somewhat less likely I suppose, and he seemed okay with it.

The generic patch capability was settled on because he insisted that a few dedicated endpoints for updating specific columns just would not do, he couldn't live with such a limited capability, no sir... but once he heard how the generic patch capability worked, he hated it.

:iiam:

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Sounds like a gently caress, tbh. Probably just ignore him forever

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

Is there a separate running path? Seems strange to not want to bicycle but be willing to run in the same traffic.

There is a sidewalk which is fine for walking/running, but it’s too narrow for bikes and also you’re not supposed to ride your bike on the sidewalk anyway. Also I hate people who ride their bikes on sidewalks that I’m trying to walk on and I don’t want to become what I hate. Besides, the bus ride is my time to read news and catch pokemon and poo poo.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Queen Victorian posted:

There is a sidewalk which is fine for walking/running, but it’s too narrow for bikes and also you’re not supposed to ride your bike on the sidewalk anyway. Also I hate people who ride their bikes on sidewalks that I’m trying to walk on and I don’t want to become what I hate. Besides, the bus ride is my time to read news and catch pokemon and poo poo.

Bikes on sidewalks are quite often jerks, so I appreciate you wanting to avoid that.

In my city cyclists will get ticketed for riding on the sidewalks if a bike lane is present, or if they are downtown regardless of the existence of a bike lane.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

ChickenWing posted:

Sounds like a gently caress, tbh. Probably just ignore him forever

I have feelers out to get onto a different team as this is starting to get really tiresome. Everything I slam out for him is always on a quick-turn, gotta-have-it-now basis and it's getting so loving old.

"Hey if you could do this sooner rather than later, that'd be great. I need it so I can finish up my sprint items" Okay let me just drop whatever I was doing!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

He responded "But wait, what if I included the column type and table name in my json?"

:murder:

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Queen Victorian posted:

[Two hour commute ]
:stonk:

I mean, at least it’s passive and you can get stuff done during that time, but still, that’s a huge chunk out of the day.
I used to do a commute that was 2.5-3 hours each way, by bus. And yeah, I could and did sleep on the trip, but it was still grueling. Especially since- this was between Kirkland on the Eastside of Seattle, and Lakewood on the south side of Tacoma. Buses between Kirkland, Seattle, Tacoma, and Lakewood TC were regular, fast, no problems. The bus from my house to Lakewood TC ran twice an hour and was slow enough that I'd be better off just walking 2 miles across town.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I did bus commuting for 6 months. Not for me. Living close to light rail was great - I could spend my commute loving around on my phone, and it wasn’t hardly affected by traffic.

I didn’t think the apartment was horrible for the price either. I had loud neighbors but that’s apartment living.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

I have feelers out to get onto a different team as this is starting to get really tiresome. Everything I slam out for him is always on a quick-turn, gotta-have-it-now basis and it's getting so loving old.

"Hey if you could do this sooner rather than later, that'd be great. I need it so I can finish up my sprint items" Okay let me just drop whatever I was doing!

If he needed you to do something to finish his sprint items, that should have come up in sprint planning.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Naup, no kids here.

graveportents posted:

How do you pull yourself out of bed early enough to be in the office by 6am?
Guess when I go to bed: Usually shortly after midnight. :drac:

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Naup, no kids here.

Guess when I go to bed: Usually shortly after midnight. :drac:

God drat! Do you ever worry that you might get a cut some day and your blood won't clot due to all the caffeine?

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Update on this from a while back, in case anyone cares.

I ended up doing a generic patch capability for a few of the endpoints. The execution goes like: select all data for object -> make java object -> use reflection to patch up the object based on whatever json was sent -> use the existing update query to update the DB. So at least nothing needed to be added or changed int the DB layer of things.

When I explained this to the guy, he was visibly flustered: "So it's just a read, modify, write like it was before!? UGH!"

I had to explain that, if nothing else, type and table information is needed in the DB layer to be able to construct a sql query. The API doesn't magically know how to update a table given the information { "thingX" : "123.4" }.

I kinda just flatly responded "No." and that seemed to be the end of it. I also indicated that race conditions would still be possible, somewhat less likely I suppose, and he seemed okay with it.

The generic patch capability was settled on because he insisted that a few dedicated endpoints for updating specific columns just would not do, he couldn't live with such a limited capability, no sir... but once he heard how the generic patch capability worked, he hated it.

:iiam:

At this point I would say "if you see potential improvements, please submit a pull request and I'll review it! thanks for your feedback!"

Sounds like he is the type of person to hate anything that he didn't write or wasn't his idea.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

God drat! Do you ever worry that you might get a cut some day and your blood won't clot due to all the caffeine?
Other than a little bit of NO Explode I sometimes have before exercise, I pretty much stopped drinking caffeine in grad school. I went thru a round of tea during an early corporate gig, and do have ice tea if I'm at a restaurant (maybe 3x/month?). I just drink water anymore.

Maybe I should create an Ask/Tell. :iiam:

(Note the post times, but I'm abed a bit early this week due to medical appointments.)

Edit: My first question for graveportents was going to be, How much coffee are you drinking and when?

PhantomOfTheCopier fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Sep 13, 2019

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Sleep hygiene and coffee intake are very closely related... I've generally had 4-8 cups of coffee every day for the last few years (at the office, anyway), but I'm cutting back now because my sleep pattern is all kinds of hosed.

I don't really need more than a cup or two in the morning anyway, so there's no point in self-sabotaging more than I have to :v:

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

We have nitro cold brew on tap in my office and it is simultaneously the best and worst thing

Roll Fizzlebeef
Sep 9, 2003

I quit drinking coffee after 10am when I found out the half-life of caffeine is 5-6 hours. My sleep has definitely improved since then.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Weird - I feel like coffee only lasts about two hours for me :\

Roll Fizzlebeef
Sep 9, 2003

I think people metabolize caffeine at different rates. Also, I doubt if you need to be feeling effects for it to still be able to mess your sleep up.
:shrug:

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I think caffeine basically blocks the signals that tell your brain you're tired, which is why it has a not so subtle way of loving up your sleeping patterns. Your brain asks why are you trying to sleep if you're not tired? And then you spend 3 hours in bed wide awake.

Roll Fizzlebeef
Sep 9, 2003

This is the book that scared me into big changes to improve my sleep.

Why We Sleep: Unlocking the Power of Sleep and Dreams

I feel a lot better after a few months of keeping a regular bedtime and wakeup and getting more sleep generally.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Roll Fizzlebeef posted:

I quit drinking coffee after 10am when I found out the half-life of caffeine is 5-6 hours. My sleep has definitely improved since then.
2:30 PM is generally my cutoff. After 4 PM is almost always a bad time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I've known a lot of people who become managers and then immediately turn into the worst sort of caffeine addicts, because the default format for a 1:1 is "let's grab a coffee."