Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Scarlet getting the full Pinhead treatment and Mike O.'s head exploding are great examples of Araki running free with Ultra Jump's more lax gore standards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

If your heart is wavering, Johnny Joestar....do not post.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Also President Valentine did some exercise between Tubular Bells and now, that's why he's a hunk currently.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I do think the Wekapipo fight and the Civil War fight are two of the best chapters we've had so far. Civil War sounds like a contrived power but it works so well. Both Axl Ro and Wekapipo are probably the most developed villains so far as well.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I could think about this scene for years

e: Again going back to what I was saying that Araki is saying something about America, here our heroes are attacked and strangled by their own sad and violent pasts by a thing named Civil War

e2: Johnny's "You threw me away is so loving good

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Sep 11, 2019

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
"Themes being more important than the specific mechanics of a power" is why I love Civil War so loving much.

EDIT: For the record, original publishing dates for SBR started at the beginning of 2004. So uh :thunk:

BaDandy fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Sep 11, 2019

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Funky Valentine posted:

Also President Valentine did some exercise between Tubular Bells and now, that's why he's a hunk currently.

The president getting hot despite looking dumpy at the beginning of part 7 is a trip.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Totally. Johnny being able to move his body through the infinite point of space of the golden ratio truly does not make any sense

but him attaining it through understanding that if he cannot hurt anyone, than the only person left is himself, an acceptance of his own sins and taking them onto himself (much like Christ himself), and so his self realization allows his Stand to loving grow legs while the Corpse legs are being ripped out of him in a Night of the Living Dead esque zombie pile is loving awesome

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Sep 11, 2019

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I can't believe Jesus talked a disabled guy into shooting himself in the head.

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013
i really love how proud johnny is about making axl ro kill him to give him back the curse. "I made you kill me on purpose. whoops...that's a 'sin' isn't it?" is such a funny sentence

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
There's something going on here where Johnny's stand becomes more complete as the corpse gets more reassembled. I dunno if it's just a thematic parallel thing or if it's more directly connected via plot.

But yeah I guess Johnny talks to Jesus now!? If history is any indication, then he's going to start doing some weird new branch of Christianity after this.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Okay okay, I'm harping on this, I know, and this might just be a simple case of "Araki Forgot", but during the Civil War fight Johnny explicitly loses the bit of Jesus' spinal column that allows him to use Tusk, and...he can still use Tusk.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
This is the story of how he learns to walk

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

paragon1 posted:

But yeah I guess Johnny talks to Jesus now!? If history is any indication, then he's going to start doing some weird new branch of Christianity after this.

I was gonna say that this happened with Blackmore too but no, he just showed up and didn't speak and Blackmore still kind of lost it. Johnny's a lucky boy!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

paragon1 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmhXXCBiUCI

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
There are some more amazing close ups of Johnny in the Civil War battle. That one where he’s trying to destroy the corpse through the bullet hole with the fire in his eyes...so good. Rereading this part has really made me appreciate Johnny as a character more. Not that I thought he was bad prior, but on my first read, he was almost entirely overshadowed by Gyro.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Hmm

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Great Daaaays~

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

NickRoweFillea posted:

There are some more amazing close ups of Johnny in the Civil War battle. That one where he’s trying to destroy the corpse through the bullet hole with the fire in his eyes...so good. Rereading this part has really made me appreciate Johnny as a character more. Not that I thought he was bad prior, but on my first read, he was almost entirely overshadowed by Gyro.

Yeah, the story's structured very well. I hadn't thought about it this way before, but... At the start Johnny is following Gyro, the story starts as Gyro's journey with Johnny being along for the ride. The race is Gyro's "objective", and Johnny can't but tag along. But when the corpse parts are introduced, and they steadily become Johnny's "objective", that gets in the way of Gyro's goal of getting #1 on the race, but now he has to tag along with Johnny, he's the one that's along for the ride.

Steel Ball Run is good you guys.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
I think one thing I appreciate about Civil War (the Stand) is that it's basically The Lock but with a drastically different tone and thematic implications.

Edit: I'm going through each week slowly, and it's pretty interesting that H.P and Johnny have very similar guilt complexes that manifest differently, but they both view the corpse as a means of being forgiven, in a way. :(

BaDandy fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Sep 14, 2019

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
DOUBLEPOST BUT I COMPLETELY FORGOT THAT VALENTINE JUST LIKE. SHOWS UP AT THE END OF THIS FIGHT.

"Hii'mjustheretotakethecorpseformyselfokaybyyyyyyye"

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Also Hot Pants horrific backstory. My goodness that took me aback the first time I read it.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

finally catching up and i forgot how mind-warping left side ataxia is to try and visualize

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

oh poo poo, i hope y'all are ready for a wild-rear end week starting tomorrow

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm curious what some overall impressions are so far

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

BaDandy posted:

DOUBLEPOST BUT I COMPLETELY FORGOT THAT VALENTINE JUST LIKE. SHOWS UP AT THE END OF THIS FIGHT.

"Hii'mjustheretotakethecorpseformyselfokaybyyyyyyye"

I like how he rules lawyered Civil War.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

I like to think that Valentine would be completely immune to Civil War. Like, he's so convinced of his own righteousness that nothing would happen.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
Araki: So you're killing Axel Ro?
Valentine: No no, it's non-lethal damage, I'm incapacitating him.
Johnny: How is shooting him in the throat non-lethal???
Valentine: I take the rest of the corpse.
Johnny: What the gently caress!??

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
Before we move on, I want to point out that out of everything Johnny threw away, one of them was a second place trophy where Diego beat him in a race.

He won second place and he still threw that into the garbage.

It's been pretty vague about whether or not Diego would do active harm to win a race before SBR started and when this came up, it definitely read to me that Johnny wanted to believe any rumors that Diego was cheating. The only thing that you can really confirm about him from before the race is that he's a gold-digging bluebeard, but that's about it. He doesn't even hurt the horses when he lost control as a dinosaur. That reveal with the trophy implies that Johnny was mad at Diego all this time specifically for that.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The napkin speech is no poo poo in my top 3 Jojo scenes. It's just so goddamn amazing.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the napkin speech is good because it actually kind of makes sense. it's not utterly baffling like some villain monologues are where you're left wondering why the gently caress they care about this inconsequential thing so much, it actually has some semblance of reason to it. it's also a quintessential jojo moment where a buff dude in a pink coat named funny valentine who's the president of the united states is giving a coherent speech about how taking a napkin is a metaphor for how he wants to basically control the world.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Johnny Joestar posted:

the napkin speech is good because it actually kind of makes sense. it's not utterly baffling like some villain monologues are where you're left wondering why the gently caress they care about this inconsequential thing so much, it actually has some semblance of reason to it. it's also a quintessential jojo moment where a buff dude in a pink coat named funny valentine who's the president of the united states is giving a coherent speech about how taking a napkin is a metaphor for how he wants to basically control the world.
I like the detail of "what if JESUS CHRIST HIMSELF took the napkin", Valentine really couldn't help himself what with having Jesus's head in his loving fireplace.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Funky Valentine posted:

I like the detail of "what if JESUS CHRIST HIMSELF took the napkin", Valentine really couldn't help himself what with having Jesus's head in his loving fireplace.

But he's speaking metaphorically. Me-ta-phorically.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Ugh, what a sexy man.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

BaDandy posted:

Ugh, what a sexy man.

That entire sequence will be the Torture Dance of the Part 7 anime and I'd be lying if I said that it isn't one of the main things I'm looking forward to when Steel Ball Run is animated

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

dancingbears posted:

EDIT: Yeah, let's hold off until I can talk about this without spoilers

you can now talk about that theory without spoilers now that we've seen valentine's stand

weird how valentine is the one of the few stand users with a normal humanoid stand. heros don't have those, diego doesn't have one.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
Who Shot Johnny Joestar?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boZamkRMCfg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

seriously though, how the gently caress does Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap work.

he pulled Diego and Wekapipo into other universes where they each shot a different alt-Johnny? And then he was able to make bystanders in this universe see the other universes, like looking through a prism?

if that’s right (I’m by no means sure)... err, why? Did he shoot Johnny then go “oh wait I just shot a famous jockey in broad daylight” and use his Stand as a clumsy attempt to cover his tracks?

Anyway, I am very amused that Johnny tries to explain to Gyro how Valentine’s Stand works, in enough detail that he may as well be reading from Araki’s script, but it’s still so bonkers Gyro goes “uh yeah let’s just call his abilities unknown”.

Also Johnny smashing himself into a bag to explain the Stand is a pretty funny visual.