Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
Repair kits are 5000c.

Stealing is a better idea or the hive villages SW of the hub have Skeleton repair beds which cost 800c.
. Cheapest repair bed is shark for 200c in the swamp to the south south-East of the hub which is a ways through dangerous land, save before you try because you might get red sabered or blood spidered
You can mine for 5 minutes right North West of the fence in shark to pay that off and you'll find some skeleton recruits in there. You can also train yourself getting beaten down by luring back to guards.

The hive village in the top left corner between Hub and Squin is a spot for a close repair bed.

TipsyMcStagger fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Sep 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Repair kits are 5000c.

Stealing is a better idea or the hive villages SW of the hub have Skeleton repair beds which cost 800c.
. Cheapest repair bed is shark for 200c in the swamp to the south south-East of the hub which is a ways through dangerous land, save before you try because you might get red sabered or blood spidered
You can mine for 5 minutes right North West of the fence in shark to pay that off and you'll find some skeleton recruits in there. You can also train yourself getting beaten down by luring back to guards.

I ended up dying before I could get to any beds, and did not feel like going back to a way earlier autosave. Nanashi the pacifist robot is no more.

What I did instead was start over with the "Nobodies" start, which also put me at The Hub, this time with 5 robo buddies, and now I've got Amaat and Toren mining copper, Bo and Esk mining iron, and Etrepa running between the two mines and the bar in The Hub to sell the ores 10 at a time and buy up all the books, building materials, iron plates, and skeleton repair kits. It's working out great so far! I've bought up the small shack right by the Shinobi Thieves watchtower and built a research table, and I guess my first goal is to save up 10,000 cats for membership in the thieves guild.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Make a point of always keeping at least 3000 cats around in liquid cash in case you run into a new robot in a bar somewhere. Hiring skeletons is nearly always a good idea because they don't require food, so there's no negative to just having more of them whenever possible.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cardiovorax posted:

Make a point of always keeping at least 3000 cats around in liquid cash in case you run into a new robot in a bar somewhere. Hiring skeletons is nearly always a good idea because they don't require food, so there's no negative to just having more of them whenever possible.

More ancillaries for the swarm :hai:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
If you like swarms, then check my posts for a few pages back, lol. There are some big bugs in this game and I caught all of them. Animal capture mod, it's great.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I have 8 guys and I tried exploring and scavenging ruins. At the end of it I'm broke from trying to keep them all fed and buying first aid kits. I can't steal anything worthwhile, so I think I'm going to have to hang up my explorer hat and grind out some money mining or something.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Addamere posted:

I ended up dying before I could get to any beds, and did not feel like going back to a way earlier autosave. Nanashi the pacifist robot is no more.

What I did instead was start over with the "Nobodies" start, which also put me at The Hub, this time with 5 robo buddies, and now I've got Amaat and Toren mining copper, Bo and Esk mining iron, and Etrepa running between the two mines and the bar in The Hub to sell the ores 10 at a time and buy up all the books, building materials, iron plates, and skeleton repair kits. It's working out great so far! I've bought up the small shack right by the Shinobi Thieves watchtower and built a research table, and I guess my first goal is to save up 10,000 cats for membership in the thieves guild.

I recommend getting out of the hub, going to the east to the way station in the Borderlands and starting a mining operation and stone operation just south of the way station as there's 2 large irons and 1 small copper. The waystation shop sells ancient Science books, engineering research and has 25,000c daily. Guards are close enough to run to and the dragon ninjas drop awesome katanas that sell for 600 each.

This is what I've done on my nobodies Skeleton game and it's frankly too easy.

I spent 2 hours last night running between the hub, shark, clown steady, Drifters last, catun, mourn and slave traders to try and recruit more skeletons. Can't seem to find any more than the 8 guys I have. Started cranking out skeleton repair kits for cash.

Speaking of which:. How does the game repopulate bars? No one has changed in shark in a long time since I got my 2 recruits from there

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I think you need to leave the place far enough behind that it actually unloads from the game memory.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Cardiovorax posted:

I think you need to leave the place far enough behind that it actually unloads from the game memory.

You'd think Drifters last would be far enough away..

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
You also need to wait a few days, I don't recall the timer but there is one

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Huh. Sorry, guys, looks like I was wrong about this. It has absolutely nothing to do with distance. Turns out they apparently don't respawn at all: https://steamcommunity.com/app/233860/discussions/2/1732087825005920304/

If this is still accurate, which it might very well be, then the only way to get more recruits is through re-importing your game.

It really says something that this game is so huge that I have actually not passed by the same town often enough without importing to ever notice this.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

dogstile posted:

You also need to wait a few days, I don't recall the timer but there is one

Edit:. I'll run to the United desert cities tonight and if that doesn't satisfy my recruitment drive I'll import.

TipsyMcStagger fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Sep 12, 2019

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah I'm fairly sure I've had different dudes show up eventually but to be fair I've had to reimport through development. I could be mistaken

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I dropped some iron on the ground and I can't pick it back up on any of my characters, it looks like the items are stuck inside the model of the iron node. Is there some kind of debug mode to disable collision so they can be retrieved, or an easy way to edit the save, or are those iron ores just gone?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Have you reloaded?Al so yes there is a debug mode. Check your key binds

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Synthbuttrange posted:

Have you reloaded?Al so yes there is a debug mode. Check your key binds

I have reloaded the save, the stuff remains inaccessible. Importing the save just deletes the stuff of the ground. I tried accessing the editor but could not figure out how to move either the iron node or the items. Oh well.

Another question: I've built research bench and training dummy, and both show that multiple people can use them. But only one unit will actually use each. Is there something I'm doing wrong? All the person markers are green in placement.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

The little manikins you see when placing stuff do not show you that multiple characters can use them, they show you valid points of access. So long as even one of them is accessible, the object is usable. That is useful when placing things inside houses - you can place benches much more densely than you would otherwise think you can.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cardiovorax posted:

The little manikins you see when placing stuff do not show you that multiple characters can use them, they show you valid points of access. So long as even one of them is accessible, the object is usable. That is useful when placing things inside houses - you can place benches much more densely than you would otherwise think you can.

oh, ok - thanks!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

No problem. That is one of those really common mistakes. The game does not communicate very well what those things are supposed to be.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Cardiovorax posted:

Oh wow. This is helpful. Thanks.

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001
I have not played this sine the extremely buggy betas, but I can still make a fortress in the fog death zone right??

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Mr. Pool posted:

I have not played this sine the extremely buggy betas, but I can still make a fortress in the fog death zone right??

can build anywhere that isn't super close to an existing town, so yes

And just to avoid spoiling people that don't want to see the map, I'm linking to this on Reddit, someone prettified the map to show all the factions:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Kenshi/comments/d3iqn1/political_map_of_kenshi_with_disputed_regions/

Azhais fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Sep 13, 2019

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Ive made a base in the burning forest. Aside from the blood spider attacks i get absolutely zero visitors. no traders, no taxes, no raids. It's a hell of a drug lab for sure. Also regarding the building placement, i found out that you can plug gaps in the wall with storage barrels. like an idiot i decided to build my base close to one of those huge rusted iron hulks and you cant really wall them off! So i just plugged the tiny gaps where a wall couldnt be built with a barrel, its actually completely impassable.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Ok so training trip report: the best way to human punching bag level your dudes to 50 is to capture a Broken Skeleton from Obedience and put him in storm house with a robot bed to repair (I did this all at World's End since getting a skeleton into Blister Hill can be... problematic). Getting your dodging skill up is quick and seems to help as well, since it's pretty common for your dudes to get stun locked by multiple attacks so dodge lets them escape from that situation. It's just as important as melee defense imo.

Now for getting your stats to 100: there is a way, but it's a very bugig brained solution that involves capturing a high level npc and abusing him for weeks. Did it last night and got my stats into the 80s.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Walls are finally done, now there are no more spider attacks on my base. Location is really nice, nobodys ever visiting though.

artichoke
Sep 29, 2003

delirium tremens and caffeine
Gravy Boat 2k

Cardiovorax posted:

Huh. Sorry, guys, looks like I was wrong about this. It has absolutely nothing to do with distance. Turns out they apparently don't respawn at all: https://steamcommunity.com/app/233860/discussions/2/1732087825005920304/

If this is still accurate, which it might very well be, then the only way to get more recruits is through re-importing your game.

It really says something that this game is so huge that I have actually not passed by the same town often enough without importing to ever notice this.

They'd better freakin' not; I just went on a country-wide recruiting campaign wherein I took every single person/bot I could find to build my city. They are now well over 150 but, to be honest, it's kind of a bummer knowing the only new people I can get are prisoners. We've set up in the former Holy land and it's kind of sad when a raid comes by and they go up against Eyegore, Cat-Lon, and about fifty elite hunters from the UC. I think it's probably time to start a new game.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Addamere posted:

I have reloaded the save, the stuff remains inaccessible. Importing the save just deletes the stuff of the ground. I tried accessing the editor but could not figure out how to move either the iron node or the items. Oh well.
I had this happen too when I started out. I thought I was clever by dropping the freshly mined ore so that I could run away if need be. Turns out that you can't pick it back up afterwards for some reason

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Have you tried pressing alt (or whichever button it is that highlights item names) and pressing the name plate instead? I use that all the time, including for raw ore and poo poo.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cardiovorax posted:

Have you tried pressing alt (or whichever button it is that highlights item names) and pressing the name plate instead? I use that all the time, including for raw ore and poo poo.

Yes. They are stuck inside the iron node directly west of The Hub.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Using Reactive World Mod. I have kidnapped the 3 leaders of the Holy Nation. Flotsam has taken Blister. Shek have taken Stack. Bad Teeth remains with the Holy Nation. I emptied it once, but it's back up to 20 armed occupants after I left and checked back on it later that day.

I have turned the Cannibals into "Cannibal Remnants" I frequently empty their towns but I don't seem to be able to wipe them out.

I have a team of 10. I'm thinking it might be time to start a base. Where should I settle down? What should I definitely research before doing it? I think I have everything a rank 3 research bench gets me.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Well, the standard procedure is to do CTRL+SHIFT+F11 for regenerating the navmesh and then going into the F12 and pressing FIX, if that doesn't do, there isn't really a lot that can be done. Clicking on it in the F12 editor and pulling on the colored arrows (representing X, Y and Z axis) might also do the trick, if that actually works the way I remember it and I'm not mixing up games.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
It's just iron man. You can get new ones out of a rock in the ground.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

zedprime posted:

It's just iron man. You can get new ones out of a rock in the ground.

Yeah, iron is pretty low value in general and you probably shouldn't be mining it unless you have a base or are just looking for something to encumber yourself with (and even then copper is a better option just since it has some value after the fact).

If you are in your base and trying to get at the iron, you could try just giving someone a "haul to ore storage" job and see if they go pick it up themselves

Zesty posted:

I have a team of 10. I'm thinking it might be time to start a base. Where should I settle down? What should I definitely research before doing it? I think I have everything a rank 3 research bench gets me.

How strong are your 10 dudes and what's your goal? Obviously if you've cleared the holy nation you're probably doing pretty ok, so my suggestions at this point would be to either a) buy some materials and a couple of pack animals and just set up a base as a forward operations center near whatever your next attack target is going to be so you have someplace safe to fall back on to heal or b) start up a base someplace quiet and make all of those construction materials yourself before doing a.

As an advanced group setting up in the fog islands is a great place to build up materials as long as you can handle endless fogmen. If you're just looking for a challenge go tame crater or gut or the leviathan coast. If you're just looking for a base of operations then that's going to be fluid based on your current goals.

If you just want quiet place to farm anywhere in the border zone or former holy nation territory is fertile and low danger, tho I'm pretty sure you're going to be dealing with holy nation crusades non-stop now that you've crippled them so someplace further away might be advisable.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have my guys trained up to 5 attack with their starter clubs and I've done some low level research. How long should I stick around The Hub before moving on? I am basically waiting for the barman to restock for books at this point, and just constantly keeping 2 dudes each on copper and iron while a third dude hauls the ores to sell. I could set up a stone mine outside The Hub, but honestly what would I even do with the building materials unless I go on to make a base right there ... hmm

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Addamere posted:

I have my guys trained up to 5 attack with their starter clubs and I've done some low level research. How long should I stick around The Hub before moving on? I am basically waiting for the barman to restock for books at this point, and just constantly keeping 2 dudes each on copper and iron while a third dude hauls the ores to sell. I could set up a stone mine outside The Hub, but honestly what would I even do with the building materials unless I go on to make a base right there ... hmm

Stick around until you can survive higher level fights basically. Bandits and ninjas and bonedogs and such you can always pick up people and run if needs be. Once you start dealing with beak things that you can't run from or fog men that will kidnap you at a moment's notice you need to be reasonably confident in your fighting abilities.

Personally I made my first base on that little plateau between the hub and squin. Easy access to both towns for starter supplies/safety if you get overrun, and a neverending supply of starving and dust bandits to harden my guys on while I built up building supplies for the next move. It also has good fertility, 60% water, 100% stone, and 1 iron/2 copper easily walled in with others nearby. You'll also get ninja raids for higher level content (and robot recruits from them sometimes if you use prisoner recruitment), along with both shek tribute demands and holy nation prayer days, so no shortage of excitement.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Addamere posted:

I tend to stick around hub for a good long time. It's in a very useful location early on, and one of the few "safe" places in the game. I always end up dragging my beaten and broken group back there after something goes terribly wrong.

I have a question for everyone, though. Has anybody remained long term allies of the Holy Nation? Unless you have an all male human group it seems like there are just too many ways to lose reputation with them.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Personally, I get out of Hub the moment I can because literally anywhere else is better. Most other places at least have shops. And guards. You know, city stuff.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
I don't even bother with walls for the first few bases. Just park someone in the closest town to come and heal everyone if something goes wrong, and beat up on every bandit that wanders into camp.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Cardiovorax posted:

Personally, I get out of Hub the moment I can because literally anywhere else is better. Most other places at least have shops. And guards. You know, city stuff.

You can drag anyone into the bar or to the thieves after you ally them and they'll handle anything that you're likely to train to town anyway.

I'm enjoying having my first base between the hub and squin, since it has fast access to a real town, and fast access to sell everything I've stolen from that real town since there's three places to sell right there with the two bars and thieves.

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

I have a question for everyone, though. Has anybody remained long term allies of the Holy Nation? Unless you have an all male human group it seems like there are just too many ways to lose reputation with them.

No, they're jerks.

On the topic of the holy nation, has anyone ever seen them get overrun without intervention? I've got the spawners turned up (like 2.5 or 3 I think on the number of nests) and stack has just been massacred by bonedogs. One gate has 3 guards during the day (only two of which have legs) and 2 at night now, and the other has one day guard and no night guards left. Multiple of the shopkeepers are dead. Gonna be a city of wolves pretty soon.

I've never seen that happen before, even on other playthroughs with the same settings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Azhais posted:

You can drag anyone into the bar or to the thieves after you ally them and they'll handle anything that you're likely to train to town anyway.

I'm enjoying having my first base between the hub and squin, since it has fast access to a real town, and fast access to sell everything I've stolen from that real town since there's three places to sell right there with the two bars and thieves.
I suppose I just like to rely too much on the conveniences of More Items modded traders. It's so nice to just buy armor plates, leather, fabric and robotics components by the stack instead of having to manufacture them myself. It's a financial drain, but oh so worth it.