Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Kanine posted:

I found a really interesting article about the 1973 Walpole Prison uprising, where prison guards said gently caress it and went on strike, and when the prisoners were left alone to run the prison, everything actually went super well.

https://libcom.org/history/1973-prisoners-take-control-walpole-prison

When they say “not a single outbreak of rape or murder occurred”, it sounds like “there were a few rapes and murders here and there”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

My parents were prescient enough to rename me with an American-friendly name when we moved here instead of sending me to kindergarten as Hrafn.

My last name is of German origin but was modified in the late 19th century, and is all consonants except for the last letter. Additionally the letters are in an order that is mystifying to people who speak basically any language. To top it off, there are only ten people who were born with my last name currently living, so to run across it would be super rare, which makes it even harder to pronounce because you just never see it.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Platystemon posted:

When they say “not a single outbreak of rape or murder occurred”, it sounds like “there were a few rapes and murders here and there”.

it's pretty much corroborated by every source i've been able to find, especially considering the people making that statement were outside observers

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Kanine posted:

it's pretty much corroborated by every source i've been able to find, especially considering the people making that statement were outside observers

I’m just saying that the phrasing is bad.

https://twitter.com/shutupmikeginn/status/403359911481839617

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

Platystemon posted:

Platystemon posted:

I’m just saying that the phrasing is bad.

No, it doesn't, and no, it isn't. It's a very common construct

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If you see the headline “OUTBREAK OF RAPE IN SWINDON”, would you not think that there had been multiple rapes in the area?

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
And if someone told me my father was dead, I would think that my father were dead. Unless -- and this is the key part, it all revolves around this -- they added the word "not" in front of the word "dead". Which, to me, would change the meaning slightly

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Adding words works both ways.

If I say “there weren’t many rapes”, the literal meaning of that clause allows for there to have been none, but the presence of the word “many” strongly implies that that isn’t the case.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

The literal construct of the phrase could technically be ambiguous, assuming that you were a linguistic archaeologist who was trying to reconstruct the English language 2000 years in the future by piecing together a few isolated phrases, of which this was one.

But you're not, and what you're whinging about is a very common construct whose contextual meaning is absolutely unambiguous

e: vv ok buddy you do you

Sulla Faex has a new favorite as of 09:04 on Sep 3, 2019

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I didn’t say it was ambiguous. I said that it was phrased badly.

“I helped my Uncle Jack off a horse” isn’t even technically ambiguous, but if the double entendre isn’t intended, consider rewording the statement.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Platystemon posted:

I didn’t say it was ambiguous. I said that it was phrased badly.

“I helped my Uncle Jack off a horse” isn’t even technically ambiguous, but if the double entendre isn’t intended, consider rewording the statement.

It's a ludicrously common turn of phrase! Your argument is genuinely bizarre.

In all honesty, is English your first language?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Barry Foster posted:

It's a ludicrously common turn of phrase! Your argument is genuinely bizarre.

“Outbreak of” is common enough. It’s used with words like “violence”, “war”, or “disease”. All of these things are ongoing concerns affecting multiple people.

It is not used for single events. The word “OUTBREAK” wouldn’t be in the newspaper headline if there had been one crime and there was no reason to believe it would be followed by more. “Outbreak of 9/11” has six matches in the Google index.

It’s also not common to negate the phrase. “Not a single outbreak" has eleven thousand thousand matches which are overwhelmingly about public health incidents.

Compare that to “not a single case”, which has over three million matches.

Within the field of public health, those two phrases have different meanings, so it makes sense that they would use the former. The Karen Wetterhahn incident was a case of dimethylmercury poisoning, but not an outbreak as happened in, say, Minamata.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The point of the quote is that the situation didn't become worse than what it had been under normal administration, and it's pretty much irrelevant to its accuracy if there actually were occurrences of murder / rape as long as they were within the expected trend. So yes, the quote may permit that there were instances of those crimes, but it doesn't take away from its meaning of validity.

steinrokkan has a new favorite as of 09:56 on Sep 3, 2019

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
I get what Platystemon is saying. "outbreak" certainly seems to imply multiple incidences.

Still, it gets the point across.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The writer might have started with “not a single outbreak of violence” but discarded that as being untrue because there were known incidents of minor violence or simply unprovable because minor incidents wouldn’t be reported.

My criticism of the phrasing is on a level with “isn’t it funny that the plumber’s van has scare quotes around ‘honest’?”, not “woe is me! I am in genuine confusion as to the intention of the author!”

Perhaps this entire page could have been avoided with better phrasing by yours truly.

Platystemon posted:

When they say “not a single outbreak of rape or murder occurred”, the author unwittingly makes it sound like “there were a few rapes and murders here and there”.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Historical Fun Fact: ESL was a mistake

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Platystemon are you just trying to be pedantic as some kind of gotcha against a situation where anarchist/leftist principles worked extremely well

or like, are you just trying to be pedantic for the sake of being pedantic

i wanna know you motivations here. cuz like, im not sure what's worse.

Kanine has a new favorite as of 21:42 on Sep 3, 2019

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
To be honest, I agree with Platystemon. Saying "there were no outbreaks of X" is different from saying "there was no X at all". It's like saying "there were fewer than 5 deaths" instead of saying "there were no deaths". You usually wouldn't say the former if you meant the latter.

Maybe this is some regional dialect thing though? Since evidently my opinion isn't shared by most of y'all.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I would read "outbreak" the same as "instance" or "incident" personally, it's just a more formal way of writing to add a collective noun. It makes sense in this case as "there were no rapes or murders" sounds pretty crude.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Plastymon is yanking your dicks and y'all are just following them around gladly lmao.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

oh no he's taking money out of my hands, cash money

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

welp I'll come back to this thread in a day or two

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

there's been an outbreak of derails, i tell you

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
There has not been a single outbreak of derailing this entire time, just a few isolated derails here and there.

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lO2-YxWkRxk&t=4s

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

so I'm reading a book on the 30 Years War and in the geopolitical setup for the war it has this story as a throwaway passage:

a lot going on in this short little passage here so let's walk through step by step:

- The King of Denmark, in his capacity as Duke of Holstein, claims suzerainty over Hamburg and presumably wins a little war against the city
- the burghers of Hamburg(Hamburghers?) respond by taking him to court
- 15 years later, the court passes a judgment saying "hey King of Denmark gently caress off"(I guess the basis of the war was incorrect?)
- He actually does it but responds by building a fortress near it in what I'm going to pretend is a remarkably petty move because it's funnier that way

I actually just want to read more about this court case but I have no idea where I would find something about it

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
pretty impressive that you're reading it upside down

edit: wow now i look dumb

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle
my favourite historical fact is the one about John Henry being a steel drivin' man

e: oh poo poo we've rerailed, my bad

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Elyv posted:

so I'm reading a book on the 30 Years War and in the geopolitical setup for the war it has this story as a throwaway passage:

a lot going on in this short little passage here so let's walk through step by step:

- The King of Denmark, in his capacity as Duke of Holstein, claims suzerainty over Hamburg and presumably wins a little war against the city
- the burghers of Hamburg(Hamburghers?) respond by taking him to court
- 15 years later, the court passes a judgment saying "hey King of Denmark gently caress off"(I guess the basis of the war was incorrect?)
- He actually does it but responds by building a fortress near it in what I'm going to pretend is a remarkably petty move because it's funnier that way

I actually just want to read more about this court case but I have no idea where I would find something about it

Basically the judgment of July 6, 1618 asserted that Hamburg was a Freie Reichsstadt (Free Imperial City), which Denmark didn't recognize it until 1769 (see Gottorper Vertrag). Idk any good books about it tho.

Also imo it's a pretty classic move, levying tolls from further up/down some passage.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Oh I wouldn't want to read an entire book on it, just like a 5 page article or something. All that makes sense, especially the toll collecting.

What would have happened if Christian had ignored the court?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

War, most likely.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Elyv posted:

What would have happened if Christian had ignored the court?

The Reichskammergericht could have escalated the case and proclaimed an Imperial ban against Christian. This would have meant that (in theory) he would have ceased to exist as a legal subject within the Empire and that every subject of the Emperor was permitted to kill him with impunity, while also any supporters of his would be threatened with death. An Imperial ban was supposed to be executed by the local Imperial Circle, in this case the Lower Saxon Circle. I can’t say if that would have worked out in practice, however - an Imperial ban against Christian would have meant war against Denmark, and there were several powerful princes within the Lower Saxon Circle (like the Prince-Electors of Brandenburg, the Kings of Sweden and England, the Prince of Brunswick-Wolfenbüttel, the Dukes of Mecklenburg and so on), none of which would probably have liked going to war against Denmark over Bremen.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Makes sense, thanks! Apparently the prospect was still enough to get Christian to back down though.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

A giant wolf's head from the Pleistocene era was recently found in Siberia:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
This too is a good dog.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

thats awesome

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Alhazred posted:

A giant wolf's head from the Pleistocene era was recently found in Siberia:

Cue the Bloodborne music

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

This is a portrait of Jacob de Gheyn III painted by Rembrandt in 1632:

It has so far been stolen four times since 1966 and has become known as the "Takeaway Rembrandt".

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I did not realise just how petite Queen Victoria was:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

At one point her girth became bigger than her height.