Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.
"Add seven R" is much nicer templating than the previous "Add RRRRRRR".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

So glad this is 4 to 7 so Ilharg can't just swooce in on turn two with it.

Also so glad it says seven {R} instead of printing seven {R} icons like Geosurge.

quote:

So glad this mirror doesn't suddenly tell me my own preteen stepdaughter is the hottest person.

Also glad it's from the universal stream where it's Magic Mirror instead of Mirror Mirror.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Lol 2:1 historic wildcards officially walked back

https://twitter.com/wizards_magicDE/status/1172527610208948224

Other changes it lists is that Historic games will count towards your daily quests but not wins and you can buy single packs of historic sets instead of only the bundle.

Tainen fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Sep 13, 2019

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

These both feel durdly as hell and I love them for it.

Also, how would Irencrag Feat work with Thousand Year Storm? Do multiple copies mean "you can only cast one spell the rest of the turn" instances stack, or does the fact that it's "only one" prevent it from stacking?

InterrupterJones fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Sep 13, 2019

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Tainen posted:

They're also walking back new historic cards, Or at least reconsidering them.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Tulul posted:

:pirate: RRRRRRR

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Kurieg posted:

They're also walking back new historic cards, Or at least reconsidering them.

They better not. That was actually a great idea. The only reason to reconsider them is to save modo and that shouldn't happen.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

One step forward, two steps back

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Sickening posted:

They better not. That was actually a great idea. The only reason to reconsider them is to save modo and that shouldn't happen.

My german isn't great but it looks like they were going to be awarded via events starting in november, but now it just says "TBD", "Kostenpflichtiges" is apparently "paid event".

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Yeah I think the TBD is more in relation to how the cards are going to be obtained than them implementing new cards into the format.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

drainpipe posted:

I'm ok with wizards making money off of cosmetics. It's the gating a powerful card behind special products (like the buy-a-box promos) that worry me more, but I don't play paper so...

Typically, in games that make relatively ethical use of premium cosmetics, the thing that makes the cosmetics' existence a good proposition for the average (read: non-whale) consumer is that it noticeably drops the cost of playing the game for everyone else. Often it drops it all the way to free, though obviously that will never be practical for physical MTG.

Previous MTG "cosmetics" (expeditions, masterpieces, whatever the gently caress the Amonkhet ones were collectively called) may have had that effect because they were in regularly priced boosters, which drove down the price of everything else in those boosters. I say "may have" to be completely honest, because I'm not actually gonna go analyze the data right now, but it stands to reason. Anyway, that was a step in the right direction. But it's hard for me to see how shunting cosmetics off into higher-priced premium boosters is going to have the same effect, since they aren't going to be slashing the price of regular boosters to compensate. They're just skimming an extra layer of cream off the top.

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

There's no way these don't hit arena, I'd bet it's the mastery orb thing for this set

I mean they literally already did the thing in WAR where they have high-demand alternate art for a bunch of cards from the set but it doesn't make its way into Arena as such.

I'd agree with you that it's quite likely at some point that they start doing masterpieces-type cards properly for Arena. But you can't really ever say "no way" when it comes to a hypothetical rake for WOTC to step on.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
I can't even remember now what the deal is with the alternate art cards - are they always tied to the special frame, and are they only available in the $20 (?) collector boosters? I'm seeing assertions on the twitters that the alt art is available in regular boosters, just at an even smaller drop rate.

Tried to find that crazy spreadsheet-esque diagram posted days back, but wasn't able to.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

InterrupterJones posted:

These both feel durdly as hell and I love them for it.

Also, how would Irencrag Feat work with Thousand Year Storm? Do multiple copies mean "you can only cast one spell the rest of the turn" instances stack, or does the fact that it's "only one" prevent it from stacking?

First one: Add 7R. You can cast only one more spell this turn

Second one (copied somehow, not cast): Add 7R. You can cast only one more spell this turn.

You cast a fireball for X=13 damage. You have now cast one more spell this turn, so no more spells can be cast. You could copy it if you had thousand year storm out, though, because copying is not casting. Cards that are templated as "copy the card, then you can cast it" don't work though

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Article on historic changes
https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-digital/mtg-arena-update-historic-2019-09-12

New cards are not canceled, just their method of obtaining them.

quote:

"We will start to add new cards to Historic in November. We’ll be thinking through what the right target of cards to add is and how players can acquire these new cards. These cards will be added to the game differently than cards in Standard, but we’re still working on exactly how to do that."

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Tainen posted:

Other changes it lists is that Historic games will count towards your daily quests but not wins and you can buy single packs of historic sets instead of only the bundle.

The daily quests but not wins thing is exactly backwards; I want a type of game that I can play to get my first four wins when I'm punting on a 500-gold quest, without having to search for a deck that I both feel like playing and that evades the quest.

The change in the wildcard ratio is more than good enough to outweigh anything dumb in the rest of that announcement, though. At least for now.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

bitprophet posted:

I can't even remember now what the deal is with the alternate art cards - are they always tied to the special frame, and are they only available in the $20 (?) collector boosters? I'm seeing assertions on the twitters that the alt art is available in regular boosters, just at an even smaller drop rate.

Tried to find that crazy spreadsheet-esque diagram posted days back, but wasn't able to.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Devor posted:

First one: Add 7R. You can cast only one more spell this turn

Second one (copied somehow, not cast): Add 7R. You can cast only one more spell this turn.

You cast a fireball for X=13 damage. You have now cast one more spell this turn, so no more spells can be cast. You could copy it if you had thousand year storm out, though, because copying is not casting. Cards that are templated as "copy the card, then you can cast it" don't work though

That's what I thought. At that point I guess it's just overkill, but the thought of copying this spell a few times then casting a massive Electrodominance with multiple copies is still pretty appealing.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
That ritual is basically made for Dragonstorm.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!

JerryLee posted:

The daily quests but not wins thing is exactly backwards; I want a type of game that I can play to get my first four wins when I'm punting on a 500-gold quest, without having to search for a deck that I both feel like playing and that evades the quest.

That seems to be entirely the point. They want to make sure you play standard if given the choice.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

drainpipe posted:

That seems to be entirely the point. They want to make sure you play standard if given the choice.

Fair, it's still weird then to cut off one and not the other.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I wonder if I could do something interesting with Irencrag and Repeated Reverberation....

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Being able to copy your opponent's stuff is pretty sweet.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Anarcho-Commissar posted:

I wonder if I could do something interesting with Irencrag and Repeated Reverberation....

If there continue to be enough cheap red spells, something like that in a Runaway Steam-Kin ramp style deck could be fun, eventually ending with a massive Electrodominance.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

draft themes:

quote:

Blue-red is all about drawing your second card in a turn. Many cards trigger or get a bonus if two cards have been drawn in a turn.
White-blue cares about artifacts and enchantments. Many cards get bonuses if you control one and a double bonus if you control both.
Black-green has the highest density of Food rewards. Cards key off sacrificing Food or using the Food for other rewards.
Red-white is about Knights going wide. Red, white, and black all are Knight themed.
Black-red cares about Knights and Equipment.
White-black is the slowest of the Knight decks. It wants to have a long game and trade resources frequently.
Red-green cares about your creatures not being Humans. Cards will get bonuses when non-Humans enter the battlefield or are in play.
Green-blue wants to ramp and use as much mana as possible. Food and Adventure are both natural mana sinks for green-blue to use.
Green-white is the main Adventure color pair. It has the highest density of Adventure creatures and rewards for adventuring.

from here

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

JerryLee posted:

Typically, in games that make relatively ethical use of premium cosmetics, the thing that makes the cosmetics' existence a good proposition for the average (read: non-whale) consumer is that it noticeably drops the cost of playing the game for everyone else. Often it drops it all the way to free, though obviously that will never be practical for physical MTG.

Previous MTG "cosmetics" (expeditions, masterpieces, whatever the gently caress the Amonkhet ones were collectively called) may have had that effect because they were in regularly priced boosters, which drove down the price of everything else in those boosters. I say "may have" to be completely honest, because I'm not actually gonna go analyze the data right now, but it stands to reason. Anyway, that was a step in the right direction. But it's hard for me to see how shunting cosmetics off into higher-priced premium boosters is going to have the same effect, since they aren't going to be slashing the price of regular boosters to compensate. They're just skimming an extra layer of cream off the top.

Did they make cosmetic player planeswalkers for arena yet? I want the ability to choose specific codpieces for Gideon and hot-Jace.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Elyv posted:

draft themes:

from here

not only included in that chunk but later in the article they say that UB is "graveyard matters" both yours and opponents.

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

Kurtofan posted:

that giant looks so happy

This seems like an interesting one-of for Burn, replacing a Skullcrack.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Necronomicon posted:

This seems like an interesting one-of for Burn, replacing a Skullcrack.

you are way more worried about lifegain than damage prevention in burn

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Just as History rotates.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Tulul posted:

Should have been in Ixalan. It's a pirate's favorite card.

Hey look, it's Copy Artifact but better and not reserve list (for just 1 mana extra). I like it!

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

Elyv posted:

you are way more worried about lifegain than damage prevention in burn

:hmmyes: totally forgot about that.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
You can have mirrormode enter the battle not as a copy of any artifact or enchantment and that's pretty bizarre to me

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

The art in this set is really drat good. Irencrag Feat is cool enough that I'm tempted to get a print to hang on the wall somewhere.

What's the dumbest thing you could do with Irencrag Feat in standard? Turn 3 Drakuseth or Big Chan?

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
Shirley you can wait six days.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

9 CMC is rough but effectively having delve on it for any deck running a lot of sorceries/instants makes it possibly viable.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

How many times has Shaheen Soorani written an article with the title "Card X is the finisher control is looking for" over the years?

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

axeil posted:

9 CMC is rough but effectively having delve on it for any deck running a lot of sorceries/instants makes it possibly viable.

This card is sloooooooooooooow as gently caress. You can only realistically cast it after casting a bunch of spells and it doesn’t start doing anything until you untapped with it. It’s like that rw token making enchantment; the meta would have to be turbo-glacial to justify such a slow card

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Can you imagine jumping through all the loops to put a Magic Mirror in play and then your opponent just Teferi bounces it

(I think the card is actually good but still)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
it only costs 1 more than pteramander's adapt. But yeah teferi bounces it.

less depressing than the last few reveal seasons because at least this will exist without tef3ri in standard some day.